• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Really? Is it up to DS4/Pro Controller/SNES d-pad standards? If that's the case I might pick one up...

It's different. It's a lot clickier than the PS4 or SNES controllers, but not quite as clicky as the normal Xbone d-pad. It feels like there's more depth to the Elite's d-pad than with the normal Xbone pad, which I'm happy about since I didn't like how flat the Xbone's normal d-pad feels. You have enough mobility in the pad that fighting game motions are easy to do, but you also feel a satisfying click for every direction you press in that motion. So, I'm a fan. It's kind of like a clickier Pro Controller d-pad, come to think of it, which... considering how much I love that controller, is definitely a good thing. Call it a Pro Controller d-pad with the click of the Vita d-pad.

Obviously, I just got the thing, but my early impressions are very positive... and I'm about as demanding as it gets when it comes to the d-pad.

Vooduu

My elite controller is already to my liking, 3 paddles, hair trigger, long thumb stick for left, convex for right.

App is super easy too.

Gonna take a while to get used to the Paddles. I keep wanting to press them and do so accidentally while holding it. Gonna take some self control to not press it while playing Halo 5/CSGO.

Eh... might even go paddle-less... but it would feel like a waste to not use them. So I'll stick with them for now,

nath999

Was that guys video out slow turn bs? It seems like it would be bs considering Scuf doesn't change internal parts and he mentioned he is sponsored by scuf.

sangreal

Gonna take a while to get used to the Paddles. I keep wanting to press them and do so accidentally while holding it. Gonna take some self control to not press it while playing Halo 5/CSGO.

if you double press the sync button they will turn off so you don thave to worry about pressing them while you get used to having them there

I also find them less tempting to press if you flip them, so they dont sit flush with the handles

It's different. It's a lot clickier than the PS4 or SNES controllers, but not quite as clicky as the normal Xbone d-pad. It feels like there's more depth to the Elite's d-pad than with the normal Xbone pad, which I'm happy about since I didn't like how flat the Xbone's normal d-pad feels. You have enough mobility in the pad that fighting game motions are easy to do, but you also feel a satisfying click for every direction you press in that motion. So, I'm a fan. It's kind of like a clickier Pro Controller d-pad, come to think of it, which... considering how much I love that controller, is definitely a good thing. Call it a Pro Controller d-pad with the click of the Vita d-pad.

Obviously, I just got the thing, but my early impressions are very positive... and I'm about as demanding as it gets when it comes to the d-pad.

I see! I personally did not like the Xbone d-pad and I hated the 360 standard d-pad (I played SF4 and UMVC3 extensively using the twisting d-pad on the special edition controller for years until I actually broke the d-pad on it - no joke).

I need to try it out for myself but from what you're telling me is all good news. I do not want an Xbone but this controller looks fantastic.

Justinh

Was that guys video out slow turn bs? It seems like it would be bs considering Scuf doesn't change internal parts and he mentioned he is sponsored by scuf.

I'm wondering if he needs to update it or something. His accessories app looks different than mine, but mine doesn't feel slow when it turns on the default curve and felt identical to my master chief controller in turn speed. His was set on Instant when he opened his app and when mine was on instant it turned like...way too fast.

Maybe he did get a busted controller. Who knows? Something ain't right with his setup, that's for sure.

I just brought up the scufgaming coupon code earlier because I'm overly skeptical when it comes to internet things. He did say his right stick clicks when he turns it, so he could need to replace his.
Are you on the NXOE?

Yes, I am.
Does your app look like his? I would think that they'd all look the same since I thought that all "preview" stuff came from the preview app itself and not from the store. I could be wrong about that.

nath999

I'm wondering if he needs to update it or something. His accessories app looks different than mine, but mine doesn't feel slow when it turns on the default curve and felt identical to my master chief controller in turn speed. His was set on Instant when he opened his app and when mine was on instant it turned like...way too fast.

Maybe he did get a busted controller. Who knows? Something ain't right with his setup, that's for sure.

I just brought up the scufgaming coupon code earlier because I'm overly skeptical when it comes to internet things. He did say his right stick clicks when he turns it, so he could need to replace his.

Are you on the NXOE?

Messing around with the vibration power settings in the XBOX Accessories app I noticed that my Right Handle vibration feels FAR less strong than my Left Handle, with both at 100%. The left feels like hard thumps and the right more like a cell phone vibration.

Is my $150 controller broken or does anyone else have the same?

I read somewhere that the left rumble motor is stronger as it's suppose to rumble the whole controller. The right rumble motor is only used for the right side it seems. Design decision probably. Will try to look it

Edit: left motor is larger
uPQ7ZOF.png

Drago

Call it a Pro Controller d-pad with the click of the Vita d-pad.
Holy shit this has made me even more excited to get my hands on this thing. Vita has the best dpad I've ever used, something with similar clickiness to that in the shape of a Wii U Pro dpad sounds absolutely wonderful.

I like the dpad on the regular XBO controller well enough but this sounds like a huge improvement.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Trying to remap things with this since I just got it and I am losing my mind. Trying to get this to work for Halo 5. Basically this is what I wan to do.

B – RB
RB – B
LT – RS
LB – LT
LS - LB

I keep ending up with multiple buttons doing the same thing and I know its because I am trying to reassign buttons. So what am I doing wrong? Is it an order in which I assign kinda thing? Or can I only do a 1 for 1 switch?

Gorki247

His comments are laughable as well. Any criticism about Scuf, he just brushes off as bad luck or down to personal experience. Then when someone says they experience no slow-turn with the Elite, he wants to see proof as people don't know how to test this properly. As if his test was such a complicated process.

krang

One comment I would make having spent a bit of time with it, is that I find the paddles a bit too easy to press - a bit too sensitive for my taste. I found myself pressing both on one side instead of just the one I intended.

Do the paddles come attached?

Or, if you do add them, do you have to take them off for it to fit in the case perfectly/securely?

Ships with paddles attached and shortest sticks in place. Case has slots for 4 of the 6 sticks, and all 4 paddles. Case closes securely regardless of which sticks you have in the pad. It's nicely put together. Looking forward to trying it out when H5 finally finishes downloading.

Justinh

His comments are laughable as well. Any criticism about Scuf, he just brushes off as bad luck or down to personal experience. Then when someone says they experience no slow-turn with the Elite, he wants to see proof as people don't know how to test this properly. As if his test was such a complicated process.

Yeah, the whole thing just feels...kinda gross to me.
so many times I have heard people say they dont have slow turn but then end up having it because they do not know how to test for it.

Motherfucker I think I would know if my controllers turn as slowly as yours is turning! If my controller has slow turn, then every single controller I've bought for the Xbox One has slow turn. He keeps saying that sensitivity adjustments do nothing, when they most certainly do.

Something's either wrong with his gear, or there's something not right with a guy that keeps saying "this controller's crap, buy this one instead. BeeTeeDubs, use the coupon code to save 5percent and support the channel."

edit: sorry I got a little worked up there. I apologize. I have a mistrust for most youtubers, especially those that pimp out gear.

Hawk269

So anyone else putting their Elite controller back in it's comfy bed after use (bed=case)? I am finding that every time I am done playing for even a little bit, I put it back in it's case to protect it. :)

My Wife just tried it out...now she wants one. Even though I got the Forza Bundle, and we have our Original launch Xbox One in the living room, I am tempted to get the Elite Bundle, put my most played games on the SSHD and the remaining on my external and giving the Elite that it comes with to my wife. She is not a big gamer, but likes to play certain games (ESO). I mapped the sprint/crouch to the paddles and she liked it more that clicking in on the sticks.

Jrs3000

I'm sitting here waiting for the darn UPS truck to get here, my tracking shows it's out for delivery but they are taking all day literally!!!

Jin

Sorry if this has been mentioned, how are the bumpers in comparison to the launch controller?

Going to copy and paste from another thread.

The shoulder/bumper buttons on the "new" controller has less resistance and makes it easier to press and hold down. It was annoying playing Dark Souls where I had to hold the bumper to raise my shield and it felt like the controller is resisting my presses and makes my fingers tired. The new one are better at this.

Yaari

^ That makes me happy because the Day One shoulder buttons are trash. I never had finger cramps during long play sessions until I used that thing.

Hawk269

I thought I read here that someone got an option to name their controller. Was I dreaming that?

It grabs the name from where you named your console. So in the console settings, you can name your Xbox One. I named my Xbox One - Hawk269, so in the app for the Controller, it is named Hawk269 Elite Controller.

Eh... might even go paddle-less... but it would feel like a waste to not use them. So I'll stick with them for now,

I got mine today and I liken starting to use these paddles to needing to learn how to walk again if you spontaneously sprouting legs out of your chest and didn't want to use your regular legs anymore. Because you just know that the new ones will be more efficient if you could just stop muscle memory from trying to use your old stupid legs...stupid 20 years of pressing four face buttons!

Justinh

It grabs the name from where you named your console. So in the console settings, you can name your Xbox One. I named my Xbox One - Hawk269, so in the app for the Controller, it is named Hawk269 Elite Controller.

You can also rename your controller to whatever you want anytime you wish.

I'm training myself in steps.

Going through the Halo 5 campaign with just the bottom two paddles for jump and boost. Once I get used to that, I'll add the top two with other functions.

Spasm

I think I found a bug in Halo 5 with this controller. When you have the trigger lock engaged, you can't charge the plasma pistol. Single shot only. This isn't a problem with the controller itself, as I can hold down the warthog chain gun just fine.

Thalun

Neo Member
The paddles make a nice click when they're pressed. I was worried that they wouldn't have much feedback, but they feel great.

Mine just showed up. It's awesome. Sooo smooth. I do have a little dimple on the metal ball on one of the sticks. I don't feel it rubbing, so it must be no big deal. I can't wait to start paddlin.

I think I found a bug in Halo 5 with this controller. When you have the trigger lock engaged, you can't charge the plasma pistol. Single shot only. This isn't a problem with the controller itself, as I can hold down the warthog chain gun just fine.

Someone mentioned that in a review. You need to adjust the trigger sensitivity

Ultimadrago

Hey guys, have my Eneloop Pros plugged into the wall for several days, but like a smart guy, didn't realize there was a blockade for the batteries. So now I'm charging them again without the plastic piece there and all the lights are Green. Were they fully pre-charged or what?

iNvid02

remapping on windows works great, its very easy. paddles for witcher combat are so good. gonna test out that fighting dpad next. im loving this controller, it was probably worth it 😄

Avalt

Hey guys, have my Eneloop Pros plugged into the wall for several days, but like a smart guy, didn't realize there was a blockade for the batteries. So now I'm charging them again without the plastic piece there and all the lights are Green. Were they fully pre-charged or what?

Brand new ones come factory charged with solar energy :p

The Argus

Haha that sucks. While the ones I got a few months ago said they were factory charged (by renewable energy) they still had to charge for an hour or so till the lights turned off. For some reason my controllers always report them as 80-60% charged for weeks at a time.

malfcn

Not a bug. It's a sensitivity / analog setting.

Top Bottom