• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One distributor reports losses as sales fail to pick up in China

Javin98

Banned
I guess only selling to 1% of the Chinese population wasn't good enough.
If Sony sells to just 1% of the population, they will have sold 100MM+ consoles and that is amazing.
83411-I-understood-that-reference-gi-6jlf.gif

On a more serious note, anyone expecting China to save the XBox One is beyond delusional. It would be lucky to even hit 200K in its entire lifetime (excluding grey markets). At this rate, it's not even worth the effort for Microsoft to sell in China and Japan.

Ignoring people who think that a console which will end up with a 70million+ installed base needs to be "saved", perhaps?
youre_serious_futurama.gif

No way will the XBox One hit 70 million. 50 million tops. You can bet on that.

Ushay

Not surprising, China is a tough market to crack. If they want traction there, they need to review the pricing model first, I think only the moderate/wealthy could afford one.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Holy Shit, I get the reference.

Someone needs to use the scenes from that episode of The Walking Dead, substitute "cure for zombie disease" with "Xbox One Saviour " and "Washington DC" with "China" and make a gif. Gif must end with Abraham punching Eugene.

Include choice quotes like "It's WashingtonChina! They'll have the cure bring the sales." and "Just 1% of the population"

GnawtyDog

Banned
We would of heard from MS PR and their numbers if it was doing well in China. I expected this more or less. Tell you what, it beat Japan.

So what we have is a North America/UK dependent console. All the other markets are pretty much insignificant for the Xbox One.

Ishan

this is a bad result (even tho particularly for xb1) but in general for consoles for emerging markets. But that said, I would assume emerging markets account for sales later in the generation right? (once they hit the 200$ ish point?) So maybe a bit premature?

EDIT: I mean if the console costs the family's monthly income there is only so many upper class families who can afford it (btw looking at it from an emerging market point of view from India .. im sure its pretty similar in china. and also why piracy is and pc games so prevelant in both countries

It doesn't surprise me to be honest. China is a very special market, it should be even harder to set foot for Microsoft than Japan.

ZhugeEX

Banned
this is a bad result (even tho particularly for xb1) but in general for consoles for emerging markets. But that said, I would assume emerging markets account for sales later in the generation right? (once they hit the 200$ ish point?) So maybe a bit premature?

I can agree with that for emerging markets in general but China has always been a bit different. The Xbox One won't take off in China until it's been hacked. And even then "take off" just means moderate sales really as console market isn't big in China anyway and I don't see that changing.

Syriel

Microsoft stuffing channels in a market where Microsoft isn't big at all.

Distributors get screwed for it.

How exactly is the distributor here getting screwed when Microsoft was forced into a minority partnership with them?

It's not like MS was allowed to just roll out the Xbox One in China by itself.

Dazza

How exactly is the distributor here getting screwed when Microsoft was forced into a minority partnership with them?

It's not like MS was allowed to just roll out the Xbox One in China by itself.

Guess it depends who is wearing that 2.75million loss

Top Bottom