• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one DOES NOT block used games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Maybe if you log in with your account on someone else Xbox there is no fee kinda like the activate a PSN game on 2 PS3s but this is sounding like there will be no fee at all. Still, why would you NEED to install the game on your Xbox to play? Everything is so confusing right now.

the future is DD

people need to be comfortable with this

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So their twitter said this:

Xbox Support 2 ‏@XboxSupport2 54m

@brandonorselli It was a rumor that emerged after the conference ended. We can confirm the fee is not true :) ^PJ

But the Wired piece, which is copying details directly from Microsoft, says:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

Which means Microsoft is saying that Microsoft is lying and spreading rumors. :p

Amir0x

Banned
This whole reveal is a clusterfuck. How do you confuse people on something like this? It should be either no or yes, not with a asterisk.

But since Gamestop President said he was led to believe that Xbox One will allow used games, I have to believe that's the truth. No way Microsoft would keep Gamestop out of the loop on a decision that significant.

Leflus

A console reveal shouldn't be this confusing. MS needs to release a comprehensive Xbox One fact sheet. Right now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There was nothing in that unveil today that resembled a clear statement. Heard a lot of bullshit, obfuscation, "this is just the beginning" and saw a lot of CGI trailers after that demonstration of TV tech that will require an additional box to use.

Clearly Microsoft doesn't feel that we deserve clear answers or they seem to enjoy doing damage control on Twitter which, frankly, is absolute hell for their community reps and people who represent their interests. I think Microsoft employees deserve better than that. And so do gamers.

Seriously, why did they even have the conference other then to start generating hype (and bad hype at that).

If they were going to be this vague they should have done this months ago.

Dragon

Banned
Um, fuck no it isn't. It's bad, but not near the mess the Wii U remains to be, not to mention they still have time to clear it up before launch.

WiiU has been selling poorly surely, but at least they didn't take their reveal and talk about live action Halo shows the whole time. So disappointing.

This is worse, far worse.

Indeed - the fact that Wii U was a new console was obvious to anyone paying attention to the conference, and especially if they were aware of the rumors going into E3. This Xbox One issue is just a clusterfuck.

But going by the Eurogamer report, the fee is the truth at present. So they're not lying by saying "it doesn't block used games" because it doesn't - as long as you pay the fee.

Okay, maybe not "block", but "charge an arbitrary fee for" is still pretty fucking bad. I mean, nice spin-work, but the situation is worse than it needs to be.

Eusis

I'll be glad when the dust settles, but given how Microsoft doesn't want to clearly say "no guys you got it all wrong" I'm not optimistic. Would figure if they decided to go with the most asinine, convoluted way of taking control of purchases BUT NOT CUT OUT GAMESTOP, it just comes off as more anti-consumer in its attempt at compromising because it means they'd actively favor a big corporation as the sole way to sell used games rather than let people share or sell them between themselves.

NotLiquid

Not buying that Support is in the loop. It's probably their way of poor damage control and making excuses to quell the crowd since we don't have all the complete details on how it'll work. A fee is a fee.

Raven77

GUYS YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY A FEE!

It doesn't block them (as long as you pay the fee).

Everyone should be fine with this, right? Right???

diehard

Fleer
I really won't mind the "deactivate" copy before you can sell.. it's already better than what Steam does and i don't rent games.

Minions

Microsoft hasn’t clarified its policy yet, though its online FAQ says Microsoft is “designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games,”

Exactly. Nothing stops you from selling your games for $5. After someone buys them for $10 and pays the $40 fee they will still save $10 and you will still make $5!!

DeadNames

Banned
If the following two things are true:

1. All physical games must be installed
2. You do not need the disc in the console to play the game post-install

Then there must be some sort of fee for used games, in lieu of outright blocking them. Think about it.

I was thinking that each disc would have it's own serial number so to speak, and when every time xbox live detected that serial number, it would automatically uninstall the whole game on whoever's xbox it's also on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom