• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has sold 18 million units worldwide, eSports CEO reveals

chadskin

Xbox One has sold 18 million units worldwide, according to information revealed by the CEO of eSports company Gfinity.

Discussing the launch of the company's new Tournament Build App on Xbox One, CEO Neville Upton revealed that the app would allow Gfinity "to reach Xbox One's 18 million users globally, offering this new larger audience the opportunity to interact with the Gfinity brand."

The figure puts Xbox One significantly behind PS4, which had sold 35.9m units as of January 3. Microsoft has not officially announced sales figures since November 2014, when it revealed that Xbox One was approaching 10 million units shipped.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_has_sold_18_million_units_worldwide_esports_ceo_reveals.html

Update:
Gfinity has contacted MCV to clarify that Upton's numbers are based on the previously referenced figures from January and not on official Microsoft data.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox...trzB-So2FS2I0zciQ&sig2=VV9joQv6D0azBCIkGF-vPQ

Mr Swine

Banned
Isn't this old? I remember a thread about this a few days ago. Think it was someone at EA that said that Xbo e has sold 18 million worldwide

Burbeting

Banned
I have to admit I was expecting X1 to have sold at least 25 million by now. 18 is by no means bad, but it does mean it's getting pretty badly beaten by PS4.

hodgy100

A great win for MS. They went from third last gen to second this gen.

giphy.gif

While it is technically true. many don't see it this way.

:p

Kayant

to reach Xbox One's 18 million users globally, offering this new larger audience the opportunity to interact with the Gfinity brand.
I mean amount of users doesn't necessary mean number of consoles sold.

All hail our MAU overlords

At the end of the day I think the estimates that place XB1 sales between 18-20 or something are pretty good.

Sarobi

Banned
So it went from 20 to 18.. they should state that in their next NPD. "We're glad to announce we were the best console to go backwards in sales during the ______ time period"

barit

I have to admit I was expecting X1 to have sold at least 25 million by now. 18 is by no means bad, but it does mean it's getting pretty badly beaten by PS4.

lol but who the hell would buy all those Xbones? Europe? Asia? South-America? US/UK are MS's strongest markets and even there they fall now behind X360. People should open their eyes. There are no markets left where MS could sell millions of millions Xbones. 18M is exactly what I would have predict by now. (PS4 for example should be around 39M-40M by now)

Raylan

Banned
So it went from 20 to 18.. they should state that in their next NPD. "We're glad to announce we were the best console to go backwards in sales during the ______ time period"
Microsoft said they have sold 20 million Xbox One consoles worldwide?

Swass

I thought it was around 25million, that´s the number that´s been floating around on different forums.

Not sure why anyone would think they are at that high a number.. they are barely averaging 200k a month in their strongest territory..

Pif

Banned
And Xbox already peaked it seems.

The console is on track to sell ~40 million worldwide maybe, assuming a refresh is coming soon.

What's the trend here in terms of sales?

Even without the launch of NX and possibly the PS4K this year, I would expect XB1 sales to be lower this year compared to last as is. But seeing as those two are coming, and even with a reduced-price XB1 Slim, sales for MS are going to see a big impact.

So
Xbox 360 #1 at launch then last
PS3 last then #2
Wii #1 at the end

Xbox One #2 then #2
PS4 #1 at launch then #3
NX #1 at the end?

Wii U was always last lol ;)
:(

AzaK

So around 7m per year? Thats rather low tbh

Look at the Wii U and it's a different story. Wii U has sold about 3.5 mill per year.
So
Xbox 360 #1 at launch then last
PS3 last then #2
Wii #1 at the end

Xbox One #2 then #2
PS4 #1 at launch then #3
NX #1 at the end?

Wii U was always last lol ;)
:(

Haha. Are you on drugs. NO way will the NX be even close to first, and especially not now the PS4K is coming. I would put money on NX being last over the next few years.

So if the 18 million number here is accurate, then the Xbox One is pretty close to equal to the 360 LTD. And from the numbers in the NPD, the Xbox One is still up by a solid 1.8 million consoles in the US over Xbox 360 in the same time frame. Which would indicate what I think everyone already knew, which is the Xbox brand has completely imploded internationally.

Top Bottom