• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has sold 18 million units worldwide, eSports CEO reveals

bitbydeath

So if the 18 million number here is accurate, then the Xbox One is pretty close to equal to the 360 LTD. And from the numbers in the NPD, the Xbox One is still up by a solid 1.8 million consoles in the US over Xbox 360 in the same time frame. Which would indicate what I think everyone already knew, which is the Xbox brand has completely imploded internationally.

17.7M is from January 360 should have well surpassed 18M by the time it reached April.

Worse than i thought, expected it to be 21-22m by now

Makes sense though, since they have dropped the X% over 360 in their PR the last few months, also add in anther "temporary" price drop and Retailer trade in details, it all hangs together.

Bgamer90

Banned
18 Million would mean that close to 65% of the Xbox One's sales come from America; 18 Million seems a bit too low. Assumed things were closer to 20 Million (if not a little bit over it).

correojon

So if the 18 million number here is accurate, then the Xbox One is pretty close to equal to the 360 LTD. And from the numbers in the NPD, the Xbox One is still up by a solid 1.8 million consoles in the US over Xbox 360 in the same time frame. Which would indicate what I think everyone already knew, which is the Xbox brand has completely imploded internationally.

Well, when you release a US-centric console and base part of it´s appeal in US-exclusive deals/features it´s hard for it to appeal to someone outside of the US. Add to it all that bullshit about 1st and 2nd tier countries and you´ve put yourself in a precacious position outside of your hometown.
If someone is trying to sell me something, but at the same time is telling me I´m a 2nd degree client, he can f*ck off.

watdaeff4

Well, when you release a US-centric console and base part of it´s appeal in US-exclusive deals/features it´s hard for it to appeal to someone outside of the US. Add to it all that bullshit about 1st and 2nd tier countries and you´ve put yourself in a precacious position outside of your hometown.
If someone is trying to sell me something, but at the same time is telling me I´m a 2nd degree client, he can f*ck off.

And this pretty much sums up why it will be a long time, if ever, Xbox will ever become a solid WW brand.

Too many missteps and bad will.

Mexen

I remember that figure from a thread months ago. Are you saying no XB1s have been sold ever since?

I remember that figure from a thread months ago. Are you saying no XB1s have been sold ever since?

Every figure has been an estimate, we don't know for sure if this figure or previous ones have been accurate.

It's all about estimating how well it's sold outside USA.

TBiddy

So, what's next? A CEO from another game company reveals a ballpark number and it's taken for truth? Give it a week, and the number is down to 15 million.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think its fair to say, no matter the number of consoles sold, its near enough 2:1 for the PS4 now.

There is really no way for Microsoft to recover this generation, all they can do is make it profitable.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think its fair to say, no matter the number of consoles sold, its near enough 2:1 for the PS4 now.

There is really no way for Microsoft to recover this generation, all they can do is make it profitable.

Agreed. This gen is really looking like it will end up similar to the 5th gen when it comes to market share.

Wii U (especially with NX coming) = Saturn
Xbox One = N64
PS4 = PS1

Fady K

The fact they don't tells you all you need to know.

It's very obvious they are not the market leader and it seems like on every NPD thread or worldwide tracking sales we hear that it is doing very favorably when compared to the incredibly successful 360. So, why is MS not touting these numbers?

gamz

As long as it stays profitable going forward. I don't think generations is even a thing anymore?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's very obvious they are not the market leader and it seems like on every NPD thread or worldwide tracking sales we hear that it is doing very favorably when compared to the incredibly successful 360. So, why is MS not touting these numbers?

Exactly. If it WAS doing better then why not show it is?

Bgamer90

Banned

Because they are still far behind the PS4; They would rather have people who don't greatly follow up on sales think the Xbox One is doing better than it actually is in comparison to the PS4.

This 18 million figure being off by 2-4 Million would still mean "far behind PS4".

Audioboxer

This is why Sony can be bullish and attempt the PS4 Neo. They're on top and that gap of around 2:1 isn't closing in a few months just because a Neo reception may end up lukewarm.

Fady K

My thinking too. Cause the impression I get is it is doing better than the 360 and that is crazy good.

Because they are still far behind the PS4; They would rather have people who don't greatly follow up on sales think the Xbox One is doing better than it actually is in comparison to the PS4.

This 18 million figure being off by 2-4 Million would still mean "far behind PS4".

Thing is, it could be at around 23-25 million which would be amazing. Unless the sales are actually worse than we think, I'm surprised that they wouldn't reveal it. I think Sony did the same with the PS3? I don't recall...

Audioboxer

My thinking too. Cause the impression I get is it is doing better than the 360 and that is crazy good.

Thing is, it could be at around 23-25 million which would be amazing. Unless the sales are actually worse than we think, I'm surprised that they wouldn't reveal it. I think Sony did the same with the PS3? I don't recall...

It hasn't sold 5~7 million units since January. Even just looking at NPD figures in the homeland of the USA tells you this. It's being outsold in all of Europe, even including the UK.

Is it even possible for the xbone to reach even half of 360 sales (~40 million) now?

The last few NPDs strongly suggest its sales peaked last year and its all downhill from here.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is it even possible for the xbone to reach even half of 360 sales (~40 million) now?

The last few NPDs strongly suggest its sales peaked last year and its all downhill from here.

I would say so if there's a new model that will sell to both new people and people who already own an Xbox One as well as Holiday sales continuing on being higher as the (relevant current gen) years go by.

Audioboxer

Of course, cheap pricing is key. Sales will pickup for all companies once prices get down to $199.

duhlines495.jpg

This got me good

Javin98

Banned

You got any estimations for that or just straight out of your ass? The XB1 won't be reaching 23 million until the end of October 2016 at the earliest.

Anyway, these figures are definitely too low. But it seems like this data is as of January, which sounds reasonable. The XB1 should be around 20 million by now.

I still can't believe the PS3 and 360 haven't hit $199 after a decade.

The process shrinks which are just starting to hit now are usually the main reason for these type of SoC's to be able to get price reductions, to my understanding. With how difficult the transition away from 28nm has been for basically everyone and the ever creeping physics barriers on how small we can shrink these components, it's going to get more difficult to get massive price cuts on hardware over the years.

Fady K

It hasn't sold 5~7 million units since January. Even just looking at NPD figures in the homeland of the USA tells you this. It's being outsold in all of Europe, even including the UK.

I was being a bit optimistic due to the temporary price cut and offers.

You got any estimations for that or just straight out of your ass? The XB1 won't be reaching 23 million until the end of October 2016 at the earliest.

Anyway, these figures are definitely too low. But it seems like this data is as of January, which sounds reasonable. The XB1 should be around 20 million by now.

C'mon now, no need to be rude ;D no estimations, it was a flat out guess. But if this article is as old as January, isn't it possible it sold 3-5 million since with the offers it is getting in many regions?

Audioboxer

I was being a bit optimistic due to the temporary price cut and offers.

C'mon now, no need to be rude ;D no estimations, it was a flat out guess. But if this article is as old as January, isn't it possible it sold 3-5 million since with the offers it is getting in many regions?

Add up the NPD sales and that is the bulk. It's not selling better in Europe or Japan than it is in America.

ethomaz

Banned
My personal estimate for today:

~19.5m

It is crazy how some guys can guess Xbone crossed 20m.

PS4 40m is umbeliable too... more like 38... 38.5m max.

360 will be ahead Xbone before end of this year.

Top Bottom