• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has sold 18 million units worldwide, eSports CEO reveals

My thinking too. Cause the impression I get is it is doing better than the 360 and that is crazy good.

Thing is, it could be at around 23-25 million which would be amazing. Unless the sales are actually worse than we think, I'm surprised that they wouldn't reveal it. I think Sony did the same with the PS3? I don't recall...

You need to actually look at early Xbox 360 sales. They were not very good, in part because the first 6 months or so had them so stock limited that you couldn't buy them even if you wanted to. 360 only really got its momentum going in its third year. In that same third year, we're seeing Xbox One doing worse than what it did last year and what 360 was doing in the same time frame.

Javin98

Banned
C'mon now, no need to be rude ;D no estimations, it was a flat out guess. But if this article is as old as January, isn't it possible it sold 3-5 million since with the offers it is getting in many regions?
No, it's not in the least bit possible. If we're talking about the PS4 doing 3 million in the first three months, sure. The XB1 will be lucky to even do half of that. In the first three months, it sold ~619K in the US. It is widely accepted that the US contributes around 60% of the XB1's global sales. That would put it at roughly 1032K. So please tell me where did the other two million come from.

Javin98

Banned
My personal estimate for today:

~19.5m

It is crazy how some guys can guess Xbone crossed 20m.

PS4 40m is umbeliable too... more like 38... 38.5m max.

360 will be ahead Xbone before end of this year.
Actually, the PS4 could very well be close to 40 million as of today. In the first three months of 2016, it sold roughly 964K in the US alone. Based on the official figures given by Sony, the US contributes about a third of the global sales. So that would mean about 2892K worldwide in the first three months. Add it to the 35.9 million and we get 38.79 million. Today, it should be almost at 39.5 million.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
And here is to many more!

Fady K

Add up the NPD sales and that is the bulk. It's not selling better in Europe or Japan than it is in America.

True. I overestimated it quite a bit.

Not a chance.

We should just have a mega thread titled "We don't know how many Xboxes have been sold: Everyone except Microsoft"

It would have been cool if MS made announcements during milestones at least, for instance an update on sales during E3 or their MS events.

Where did you get that impression ?

I could have sworn I've seen many posts that say it is outperforming the 360, launch aligned, and it's a major success only not heightened enough due to the PS4's even greater success. But again, looking at things more closely, it appears that 360's early years were heavily hampered by limited stocks and that the One's third year is not doing better than the 360's third year.

You need to actually look at early Xbox 360 sales. They were not very good, in part because the first 6 months or so had them so stock limited that you couldn't buy them even if you wanted to. 360 only really got its momentum going in its third year. In that same third year, we're seeing Xbox One doing worse than what it did last year and what 360 was doing in the same time frame.

You're right - I had a look recently and just mentioned it as well on my post above. That makes a lot of sense and changes my perspective. I should remind myself not to read too much into some members' posts on NPD threads (said member(s) makes the One look more impressive sales-wise in his posts than they really are, gave me a wrong impression)^^

No, it's not in the least bit possible. If we're talking about the PS4 doing 3 million in the first three months, sure. The XB1 will be lucky to even do half of that. In the first three months, it sold ~619K in the US. It is widely accepted that the US contributes around 60% of the XB1's global sales. That would put it at roughly 1032K. So please tell me where did the other two million come from.

In that case I am way off. I'm not a sales expert and not up to date and my posts likely showed my ignorance in that topic.

Javin98

Banned
In that case I am way off. I'm not a sales expert and not up to date and my posts likely showed my ignorance in that topic.
It's cool. You got to really follow sales threads to get a good idea of how well a system is actually doing. I would prefer it if those who don't really know not make any baseless claims.

Top Bottom