• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I still think it is a stupid move to jack it back up to this price. I also expect, that since this actually went back up in price, that a permanent price cut will be announced at E3 and MS will try to sell it like it is big news (like any corporation).

Better exclusives? PS4's current library is kinda bad.

What exclusives though? The lineup, as far as I'm aware, is dry for the next half a year. At $329-$350 there's a compelling reason to purchase it (as in, it's cheaper than the PS4). At the same price, as we've seen for months and months, people just don't place the same value in it as a PS4. Moreso now that we know how low MS is willing to go. I can't imagine what they'll even do when the PS4 hits $299, we might see a $250 X1 with games before the ends of the year.

This is why I didn't they'd actually raise the price, I just don't get how they'll sell the console now.

The 2nd gif is Commando which is a good movie imo, I'm not sure about the 1st gif.

Last Action Hero, also a good movie (IMO)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I still think it is a stupid move to jack it back up to this price. I also expect, that since this actually went back up in price, that a permanent price cut will be announced at E3 and MS will try to sell it like it is big news (like any corporation).

and one more thing...349.99...awkward silence (or the usual plants cheering)

they should let sony go first.

Mononoke

Banned
Better exclusives? PS4's current library is kinda bad.

A lot of people buy consoles as a platform. PS4 currently is a better platform for third party titles. I would guess most consumers are buying third party titles in a given year. So yes, in terms of exclusives, X1 probably had the better lineup for some folks (I felt that way). But in terms of all the games that came out in the last year and a half, most looked or played better on PS4.

EDIT: Shit maybe I'm wrong though. I know me personally, as someone that buys a lot of my games, the bulk of the games I buy in a given year are 3rd party multiplats. But I would imagine there are people out there that only buy 4-7 games a year. And maybe they are ONLY buying exclusives. Plus some might prefer X1's UI and Xbox live service over PS4 (so that technically is apart of the platform argument).

Lynn616

What exclusives though? The lineup, as far as I'm aware, is dry for the next half a year. At $329-$350 there's a compelling reason to purchase it (as in, it's cheaper than the PS4). At the same price, as we've seen for months and months, people just don't place the same value in it as a PS4. Moreso now that we know how low MS is willing to go. I can't imagine what they'll even do when the PS4 hits $299, we might see a $250 X1 with games before the ends of the year.

This is why I didn't they'd actually raise the price, I just don't get how they'll sell the console now.

All the exclusives that they have released since launch. Someone buying a system now will look at all the games available not just the recently released ones.

Mononoke

Banned
All the exclusives that they have released since launch. Someone buying a system now will look at all the games available not just the recently released ones.

You don't think people look at multiplats, and say that the majority of them run better on PS4? Do people ONLY buy consoles for exclusives?

I know some do. But does everyone? I would imagine some people just want a next gen system, so they can play games in general.

David___

Banned

http://www.listwar.com/

You don't think people look at multiplats, and say that the majority of them run better on PS4? Do people ONLY buy consoles for exclusives?

I know some do. But does everyone?
I would imagine some people just want a next gen system, so they can play games in general.
Of course not. NPDs from January to November prove this.

Biker19

Banned

I know some do. But does everyone? I would imagine some people just want a next gen system, so they can play games in general.

I agree. Plus I doubt that most people that are buying consoles now are gonna look through games like Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Forza 5, DeadRising 3, etc. from their launches to summer, IMO. They want games that are recent.

Lynn616

I am sure some do and some dont. PS3 sold fine so I am going to say a lot of people dont care about one system running multiplats better.

Massa

They'll look at digital only games too, where it's not even a competition between the two.

Well pre season is now according to Microsoft.

The time when most consoles are sold has passed so it makes sense to jack the X1 price back up and recoup some of those crazy losses made.

I really wonder how strongly consumers will react to the return of a $400 X1..

Of course, but the X1 has been $399 before, and it was doing pretty bad even with all the exclusives already released. I don't know, I mean I get that but I just don't see the logic behind it.

I am sure some do and some dont. PS3 sold fine so I am going to say a lot of people dont care about one system running multiplats better.

The PS3 was in an entirely different situation.

People who buy buy Consoles only for exclusives are minor compared to those who purchase them as a gaming system for all kind of games which we can prove from sales of the 3rd party games so far. PS3 sold better because of many factors like Blueray, exclusives diversity and those who prefer Playstation because it was dominating in PS2 so its more popular.

Omega

Banned
Is this the first price increase ever? edit- For console stuff

Normally when stuff gets a discounted price, it's for a week tops, not 3 months. In the eyes of consumers it was probably a permanent price drop and not just a holiday thing considering it dropped even lower on black friday.

elfinke

Saaaaame. It can only get cheaper, right?
obviously not but who knows next holiday season

Oh boy, I wish. The $388 Ass bundles at boxing day were tempting too. I think that is the price both consoles need to be here in Australia, the PS4 is wildly overpriced as well at $549RRP.

That was implied. Yes, I do find them to be utter shit. They're...ugh. It pains me to say that as someone who was really looking forward to getting a PS4.

Bring on Bloodborne!

Why would it pain you though? There is nothing compelling for me on xbone (although I can't with good conscience say the lineup is 'utter shit', because it isn't, there's just nothing I want to play) and it saves me money not wanting to own one. Nothing painful about saving money.

(Secret)

So I should just link this thread to The Shogun's tag from now on

BTW for those that told me it was Ass Creed bundle only.

Stand Alone console. $399

http://m.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product/115018

I dont claim to be the "all knowing insider with all the info ever." But if I tell ya something GAF, its cause I love you and assure you I'm not trying to lie to you :)

Shogun delivering them goods mayne!

Thanks for the useful tidbits of retail info you provide. I know most of us are glad you're able and willing to share :)

Surprised $350 was all it took to get them out of the rut they dug themselves into.

Well, that is technically $150 off with some free, high profile games thrown in. If that didn't sell it during the holidays, I would be worried. I honestly, doubt the $399 price will last for long, especially if PS4 continues to outsell it for a considerable amount of time.

DEADWRONG prediction:

They'll cave.

$350 within the next month.

If they have a new $350 SKU soon, it's not them caving, but rather a planned move.

It's important for moves like this to be seen as a proactive measure, instead of reactionary.

When this 349 promo came out, they already said it's time-limited. Had it continued even today, then it's unquestionable to the consumers that it was a reactionary move, because they made what they claimed to be time-limited to be a full drop.

By lifting the temporary price drop (for a period of time), and then dropping it later, they would be seen as proactive measure that they did because they want to, instead of making it because they had to.

Crud

Banned
Still won't be getting a Xbox one till 2017 anyway the games are just simply not as good anymore will not be paying no fucking $399 for this. Same with the PS4 probably 2018. I'm in no rush all friends moved on but I can care less.

tuna_love

Banned
Still won't be getting a Xbox one till 2017 anyway the games are just simply not as good anymore will not be paying no fucking $399 for this. Same with the PS4 probably 2018. I'm in no rush all friends moved on but I can care less.
How much less could you care?

so you'll be buying PS4 when PS5 comes out. What is there for your PS4 in 2018 btw that you want or reason for buying PS4? If you are interested on what PS4 going to offer then 2015 has got some big exclusives that Playstation ever can give.

lol2x0sqq.gif

Nice

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man had no idea they were going to raise the price back up. First time Ive seen something like this happen?

Renzoku

Banned
I wouldn't pay $400 for an XBO if Bill Gates himself delivered it to my house. They've killed the value perception of the system at that price. It was $350, I will never consider paying a cent over that again, and neither will thousands of other people.

Sounds like you have a gaming PC that will last you until 2017 to play major releases.

Yoda

Why? Seriously it really doesn't make sense. The profit margin (if any) they make on the hardware is garbage. Marketshare is going to reap them more dividends than being neck and neck w/Sony.

ramparter

Banned
LOL at the thread title. Thank God I wasn't yelling "MS won't raise the price back up!" from the rooftops, I don't think crow pie sounds delicious. XD

Next up, we'll see posts like "I can't believe MS did such a shitty thing to customers".
I think it would make sense if it was the other way. Would be shitty of them not to raise the price after stating so. I mean, the whole point was for customers to grab the opportunity. I'm glad MS raised the price back.

B.O.O.M

Bad move but depending on how much they were losing per unit this might be needed. On the other hand this could be a temporary thing OR they really give no fks about the pre-season

Illucio

Banned
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...1219339616396&skuId=8439032&pid=1219339616396

Xbox One back to $399.

... And the hundreds of people on the Internet who predicted that this would never happen are officially wrong.

Microsoft is officially screwing themselves over this. The Kinect is worth more then $100 to make and to bundle them with the Xbox One. They are selling the device at a huge markup profit, and after all these games came out for the system with a huge low price point with nothing coming up through the next few months Microsoft is screwing themselves over for the next coming months entirely. Nothing is going to save them until they make an official price cut or have a huge exclusive game come out relatively soon. Anyone who will be buying a console in the next coming months will be the ones with a large amount of upcoming exclusive games for each console (PS4 and Wii U.)
Tomb Raider isn't going to sell as much as they hoped because everyone knows it's a timed exclusive, a lot of people will wait until it's out on PS4. No one is going to jump out to buy a Xbox One to just play the new Tomb Raider earlier unless they already own a Xbox One.
So... Microsoft WUT R U DOIN!?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It's "I couldn't care less" you heathen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom