• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomShoe

Banned
I find it hilarious the internet expected the sale not to end.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to fall in line with that line of thinking on a basic rational level.

- The Xbox One wasn't selling well while the price was $399
- The bundle is offered, and it does outsell PS4 for the first time since dinosaurs walked the Earth
- Microsoft has ENDLESS TRUNKS OF MONEY, and the resources to continue this sale, so it's only rational that they keep selling this bundle.

It's only if you start looking deeper into how much Microsoft is losing when it begins to stop making sense.

I hope everyone that got One has One.

Fixed.

Ummm are people really this surprised? The price of 329 and bundles obviously were Black Firday / Holiday focused special offers. No way they would keep them for too long. Heck, from start they said that the offer would have limit.

And if Microsoft is going to do another price drop, at earliest I think it could happen in March.

Ummm are people really this surprised? The price of 329 and bundles obviously were Black Firday / Holiday focused special offers. No way they would keep them for too long. Heck, from start they said that the offer would have limit.

And if Microsoft is going to do another price drop, at earliest I think it could happen in March.

Well, it's just that normally there is a price drop that last multiple months only to be reversed after the holidays. Actually, I can't think of that ever happening before. You get price drops on BF, and bundles that last through the holidays.

Percy

Banned
Guess that means XB1 sales are about to go ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ thataway.

Stupid thing to do, but I guess the Xbox division can't afford to take that financial hit for any extended period of time.

wile.gif

Good move, MS.

Do we know if MS selling the XB1 at $399 is at a profit? If they were to go back to selling it for $350, would they be losing money? If so, will they pull a Sony and decide to lose money for a few years straight?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony dropped ps4 to $299( perhaps a revision?) in time for Xmas 2015. So MS will have to do, what, $249 bundled with games, an extra controller, a year of live, and a candy cane to compete next time around?

Miles X

Do we know if MS selling the XB1 at $399 is at a profit? If they were to go back to selling it for $350, would they be losing money? If so, will they pull a Sony and decide to lose money for a few years straight?

Why would it be a few years?

They're likely not losing anything at $399 given they were making a profit at $499 with Kinect included. They don't have the cost of those free games either.

Not to mention they're due cheaper manufacturing costs soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony dropped ps4 to $299( perhaps a revision?) in time for Xmas 2015. So MS will have to do, what, $249 bundled with games, an extra controller, a year of live, and a candy cane to compete next time around?

$299 revision at E3 (XB1) and then $249 deals during the holiday, their hand will be forced to do so.

I posted this in all the topics talking about this. I sold Surfaces and I feel the price is going exactly the same way:

Price cut
price goes back up for 1 month
Price goes back down again with new marketing

If the price is not down again by February 15th I'll eat crow.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Amazon still has it at 329. Get it while it lasts.

get it while it lasts? :p

i don't see why you would buy one now if you didn't already buy one while they were having those insane 329.99+ gc deals. its not like the games lineup has changed or that they announced any megaton exclusives for 2015. its not like it will never be at this price point (or lower) again...i guess if someone got christmas money or something...

Shocked they actually did this.

Still bet on a 299 or 329 Slim console reveal at E3 though.

I would think they'd have to get rid of OG stock first, so I presume another, permanent price drop before a slimmie is announced?

I'd say E3ish time we'll have an announcement of a perma price drop.

BokehKing

Banned
Surprised $350 was all it took to get them out of the rut they dug themselves into.
Plus free games and offers, it wasn't just the price tag, I wouldn't buy a X1 today with out getting something else with it, whether it be a year of LIVE (this December is the first time in like 8 years I let my subscription run out) or a free game, hell even a free charge and play kit

Or, sell the kinnect bundle at $399

I'd say E3ish time we'll have an announcement of a perma price drop.
I'm hoping we have a 'slim' announced at e3

I will gladly eat crow as I could never imagine Microsoft would be dumb enough to negate its one competitive advantage to the PS4. It's so stupid that it's... kind of impressive if you think about it.

jelly

Mindshare and marketshare. They needed the latter but the former is important to change the perception of Xbox One. Now they wait to see if it works in the quiet months of the year and I suspect they will drop the 500GB price to 349/299 when a 1TB model is introduced or a slim revision at E3 or after.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Microsoft's prancing move for the holiday was a smart one. But it is also smart to keep it parody with ps4. For me, it's not going to be worth it for a while due to price but I am definitely in the by side on Xbox vs the non buy.

panda-zebra

Microsoft's prancing move for the holiday was a smart one. But it is also smart to keep it parody with ps4. For me, it's not going to be worth it for a while due to price but I am definitely in the by side on Xbox vs the non buy.

xbox one as a parody of ps4, interesting thought :)

boiled goose

good with gravy
$350 + 2+ free games. Or $329 + Kinect + 4 games (refurb console); At least that is the deal I bit on. A strait price cut probably wouldn't have had as much affect... but price cut + $60-100 in free games will do the trick.

I do think people underestimate how the price of games affect the perceived value of the system.

as a footnote, it has always bothered me when people use effect instead of affect, but now people are using affect instead of effect? Jesus. I'm not sure I can handle it

Shocked they actually did this.

Still bet on a 299 or 329 Slim console reveal at E3 though.

There's no slim revision this early, unless they've really got an open cheque book from MS.

I expect a 299 price from both Sony and MS for last quarter/Christmas. Then possibly a revision 2016 summer/last quarter introduced at 299 with the "fat" version reduced to 249.

But lower than january 2014?

this:

the whole "microsoft is seriously going to raise the xbox one msrp back up to $399" fiasco is going to tank xbox one's january sales.

consumers do not react positively to price increases, especially post-holiday + given the xbox one's unique situation in the retail market. they're sensitive to this kind of thing.

i'm expecting sub-january 2014 numbers (<141k) for xbox one's january 2015.

it's a good thing that it was confirmed after the conclusion of the december 2014 npd retail period so december 2014 npd wasn't affected.

jelly

I don't understand this thought process, a slim model less than 2 years after the original was released? Has a slim ever released that soon after the original??

Not that far fetched. Design was finalised before release so E3 or Fall 2015 is a solid 2.5-3 years and 1.5-2 years for consumers.

Then there is this.

Chip designer AMD has developed a smaller, more cost-effective 20nm version of the main processor found in Xbox One, opening the door to a cheaper 'slim' version of the Microsoft console. The news comes from the LinkedIn bio of AMD's senior manager of SOC (system on chip) physical design, as discovered by Mosen from the Beyond3D forums. The entry in question says he "successfully planned and executed the first APU for Microsoft's Xbox One Game Console in 28nm technology and a cost-reduced derivative in 20nm technology."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

"However, with the cost-reduced design of the main Xbox One processor complete, production economics are the only thing stopping Microsoft from creating a 20nm-powered 'Xbox One Slim' right now. Newer chip fabrication technologies are notoriously expensive in their early years as the number of usable processors gleaned from each silicon wafer (the "yield") is very low. There's also a question of capacity. Right now, it's believed that the majority of TSMC's 20nm production line is occupied creating the A8 and A8X processors used in the iPhone 6, 6 Plus and iPad Air 2. Behind Apple, AMD and Nvidia are waiting for access to 20nm technology in order to power their next-gen PC graphics cards, due in 2015."

If Microsoft can save money with a slim, they'll do it. I don't think a certain time gap has too much to do with it.

Liamario

Banned
I'm 50:50 on whether they made the right decision or not. They've clearly sold a lot of consoles and that will help push even more. But now, are people going to wait till the end of the year for MS to drop the price again before taking the plunge. Time will tell.

I'm 50:50 on whether they made the right decision or not. They've clearly sold a lot of consoles and that will help push even more. But now, are people going to wait till the end of the year for MS to drop the price again before taking the plunge. Time will tell.
I once saw a memory foam matress on Amazon that normally costs £200 or something. I once saw it sitting at £80 but couldn't really afford to buy it at the time. It hasn't reached that price again and I still haven't bought it because I know it may go to that price again.

Not that far fetched. Design was finalised before release so E3 or Fall 2015 is a solid 2.5-3 years and 1.5-2 years for consumers.

Then there is this.

Chip designer AMD has developed a smaller, more cost-effective 20nm version of the main processor found in Xbox One, opening the door to a cheaper 'slim' version of the Microsoft console. The news comes from the LinkedIn bio of AMD's senior manager of SOC (system on chip) physical design, as discovered by Mosen from the Beyond3D forums. The entry in question says he "successfully planned and executed the first APU for Microsoft's Xbox One Game Console in 28nm technology and a cost-reduced derivative in 20nm technology."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

"However, with the cost-reduced design of the main Xbox One processor complete, production economics are the only thing stopping Microsoft from creating a 20nm-powered 'Xbox One Slim' right now. Newer chip fabrication technologies are notoriously expensive in their early years as the number of usable processors gleaned from each silicon wafer (the "yield") is very low. There's also a question of capacity. Right now, it's believed that the majority of TSMC's 20nm production line is occupied creating the A8 and A8X processors used in the iPhone 6, 6 Plus and iPad Air 2. Behind Apple, AMD and Nvidia are waiting for access to 20nm technology in order to power their next-gen PC graphics cards, due in 2015."

If Microsoft can save money with a slim, they'll do it. I don't think a certain time gap has too much to do with it.

Yes, but consoles often keep the same shell while shrinking their processors, so a smaller fab process doesn't guarantee a slim model. I wouldn't be surprised if they held off until next year so they could get more impact from a slim model, while still dropping the price this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom