• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
So there has to be a price drop at E3 then?

Will PS4 price drop?

As expected, this was "desperation" pricedrop that boosted holiday sales.

Regular permanent pricedrops for both consoles will come with arrival of cheaper hardware. MS waits sub 28nm chips, with Sony can also give pricedrop when 1GB DDR5 chips arrive [currently they use 16x 512MB].

Derpyduck

Banned
It's more about clearing stock than anything. Amazon is likely trying to sell off the few bundles remaining because they're being discontinued, another reason the base Xbox One isn't being sold, because they need to clear out the last of those sleeves and Unity cards, which are pretty de-valued by now.

The Unity bundle I bought didn't have a sleeve. It was an actual Unity box, and interestingly enough the Xbox One exhibited none of the coil whine (reduced or otherwise) that all the Xbox Ones in the green boxes have. Perhaps they've finally addressed the issue with more than just a weak band-aid.

Kiyo

I just saw a Microsoft commercial on ESPN for a $349 no bundle Xbox One "for a limited time". Are these just being shown in error?

Akainu

Every xbone ad says for a limited time and people didn't take it seriously? Even the halo 5 beta trailer says it.

Epcott

Debated getting one, but I rarely play my PS4 as is, so it's more of an impulse buy. Such a shame that Amazon bundle comes with ACU, I already own that POS.

Now a Titanfall bundle, I could go for that at $329.99 (with the unfortunate MD tax included)

ironcreed

Banned
Every xbone ad says for a limited time and people didn't take it seriously? Even the halo 5 beta trailer says it.

Even if it was clear to everyone, dropping it and then going back up right after the drop starts taking effect is not going to help them in the long run. Ultimately, it is just killing what is proving to be effective and it likely will not have the same effect by the time both systems drop in price. They need to jump start an advantage now, not later.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is it even legal to say that you're having a temporary price drop, and then making it permanent? Does it not constitute false advertising?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Still 329.99 at Amazon. Now I wonder how much retailers stocked up on these bundles and if MS is keeping the retailers cut based on the old price - (weird sure) BUT this could create incentives at some retailers to throw in additional deals (without lowering the price).

Is it even legal to say that you're having a temporary price drop, and then making it permanent? Does it not constitute false advertising?

It's just like a "limited time offer" kind of thing. Marketing does marketing.

jett

D-Member
I imagine the situation was financially unbearable, but man, this is going to demolish their sales for the near future.

Not a good move.

Reality check coming for the people I saw gloating on Twitter about November npd.

Maybe, it might give them a little shot of momentum when a larger chunk are thinking about moving to the new consoles. Although I think who ever can generate the most momentum this coming summer will be able to ride it all the way to the bank.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yup.

They raised the price again so they can have another PR blitz when they lower it again.

which makes no sense. if they are going to do it anyways they should do it now instead of letting sony potentially regain that lost us market share between now and e3. waiting also allows sony to counter with a price drop of their own.

ascii42

This just might be the shortest console generation ever, if this fast and furious race to the bottom pricing continues.

$299 this year
$199 in 2016
$99 in 2017, next gen announced for launch in 2018

We'll see. GameCube hit $99 in 2003, but that didn't stop the PS2 from being one of the longest lasting consoles. The PS2 hit that price in 2009.

But letting the other console get too much a jump ahead (or even just not selling enough of yours) is not a good long term strategy cause in the console market once the other console gets too far ahead it doesn't look as appealing to developers which in turn makes it not appealing to customers and you enter a downward spiral that is really hard to recover from. At some point you start getting labelled as dead whether that is true or not and that really kills momentum.

I honestly think MS did the right thing here in making sure that they didn't fall into that downward spiral before there was a chance of it (I am not saying they necessarily would have if they had not but I think this was to assure that didn't happen) cause once you do, it is really hard to come back from that (ask Wii U or Vita about that).

I think that even though this will slow sales they have managed to break that image of failing/losing to PS4 and that I think was their ultimate goal. They can't have a success if their perception starts being failed/lost to PS4. I think they just wanted to stop the perception that it was happening and start the perception that xbox one is a viable console (which it is but it wouldn't be if they kept allowing that perception to get stronger). You don't need to be seen as the winner to have success but you do need to at least be seen as a viable contender.

Edit: Oh wow, it double posted this rather than edited my previous post... I'm sorry. It didn't save my change at first and I used the back button to go back to the edit and apparently it decided that made it a new post?

But the issue is that they only gained momentum back by severely undercutting the PS4 at great cost. Even when they axed Kinect in June, Sony still beat them handily month after month until November. MS hasn't proven the Xone is worth as much as Sony's box yet, and that perception will persist if they can only stay in the mix with crazy deals.

If the numbers for January and the months to come revert back to pre-holiday levels, with Sony staying comfortably ahead and eroding their Nov/Dec gains, then the Christmastime push was an expensive waste.

Xando

And then Sony drops the price on the PS4 at the same time, thereby, neutralizing the effect it could continue to have right now.

Thats what i'm thinking. Sony will drop the price at E3 or Gamescom (Probably Gamescom) so MS would have to go 300$ or deeper to see any good effects.

phen0m24

I was in CostCo yesterday and if I read correctly, it was $329 there still. They had a mountain of them.

Is the price change permanently back to $399?

Ricker

Yep,back to 399 up here in Canada,even on Amazon.ca...bah,no biggie for now for me,the exclusive that will make me buy one is Quantum Break or Tomb Raider(timed I know),whatever comes first,and those are still far away,maybe it will be back to 350 by then,and no refurbish bullshit please... ;)

Apathy

Yup.

They raised the price again so they can have another PR blitz when they lower it again.

Yeah but by that time(if it is at e3) it could also be time for Sony to drop the price of the ps4. If done right, it would take the wind out of Microsoft's sails

There are laws against it in some countries, dunno about the US. In the UK you need to sell something at full price for a certain amount of time before you can have another sale claiming things like "Limited time sale" otherwise you have to advertise it as it being the actual price (that is, you can't advertise something as "limited time only, £x instead of £y" without again selling it at £y for a specified length of time).

Can't remember the exact length of time though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...1219339616396&skuId=8439032&pid=1219339616396

Xbox One back to $399.

... And the hundreds of people on the Internet who predicted that this would never happen are officially wrong.

Lol, just because "hundreds of people who predicted it wouldn't" weren't right, doesn't mean their thinking was wrong. Anyone in their right mind could tell that dropping the price, and the $349 price, was the sweet spot to move Xbox Ones.

Hell, the first month of this price drop, and maybe the second, it beat the PS4 for the first time in North America in nearly a year. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

adixon

Considering all the stuff you could get with the system for around 300 or even less if you count gift card deals, I'd say it would be pretty surprising if it doesn't hit 299 this year. Will be interesting to see if they can still get a big effect out of that price cut.

SeanR1221

If your family didn't care enough to buy one during the two months of insane sales, why would they care enough now to text you? That's weird.

What?

Calm down. Some people don't realize these things are temporary. Some people were busy during the holidays and would just get to using their Christmas bonus now. Some people will wait for their tax return.

You not being able to take perspectice is the weird thing here.

Malcolm9

That's the thing with Sony, they are still to play that card yet and if they did sales would jump even more.

MS have kinda shot themselves in the foot with this move, though to be fair if you look online you can still get decent deals.

they are probably experimenting for a couple of months to see if the increased install base and "mindshare" is enough to make them competitive with ps4 at equal price. if sales drop off a cliff and ps4 continues to sell...then yeah they'll either do another price drop or bundle mcc or some other game.

i say sony continue to do a game bundle...albeit with their own first party titles. like pick one (knack, kz, driveclub, lbp3...etc)

Could be. Could also be that they are waiting until later to make one big permanent price drop to $299.

Also, I don't think Sony will have to bundle anything with X1 at $400, and no big exclusives, it will sell good.
If they do bundle anything, it will probabally be like a $430 bundle or something like that instead of $400 deal where the game is essentially a free pack in.

IzzyF3

I think it would make sense if it was the other way. Would be shitty of them not to raise the price after stating so. I mean, the whole point was for customers to grab the opportunity. I'm glad MS raised the price back.

Umm... You're glad they raised the price back? I suppose your pretty angry at MS for reversing their word on always online DRM, useless hard copy games, required big brother Kinect, and BS treatment of indie developers. I'm probably missing a few things.

MS has done a great job so far in 180ing all those decisions to appeal to the consumer. Yeah, it's marketed as a sale, but it doesn't matter what they say when so many consumers just assumed it was a price drop. Instead of this feeling like the price went back to normal, it feels like it's a price hike and definitely, no matter how you put it, not consumer friendly.

Maybe MS is making gaming and marketing history here though. No doubt they spent a lot of money to get the best minds on this. Lol, it's probably one of those "it's so crazy it might just work" schemes.

vpance

We'll see. GameCube hit $99 in 2003, but that didn't stop the PS2 from being one of the longest lasting consoles. The PS2 hit that price in 2009.

PS2 gen was something else. It dictated the pace of everything since it outsold everyone by so much. If Sony does cut to $299 this year I'm sure a huge part of that decision will come from Xbone's incredible performance with the fire sale. Let's see if this game of chicken begins.

Wow. That's a bold move. Where's the motivation to buy it at that price when people know, it'll eventually come down again. Sales on the x1 are going to be scarce. And with PS4's exclusives set to take over 2015...

The most sales are always during the holidays, so it makes sense to put the most effort there.

Also, they are trying to maintain the console's sense of value among consumers. They wanted it to only be temporary to get all those sales, while getting the consumer to think that it is still 'worth' $400.

Whether that strategy will have worked or not with the general public remains to be seen, but I will not be surprised when they announce a permanent price drop at E3.
It would be the best time to do it because they will have a really strong game lineup from E3 going forward, and a price drop + big exclusives will give them a big enough spur to make up for lackluster sales in the first half of the year.

Krakn3Dfx

Season's over, we're back in pre-season again.

playoffs.jpg

rpg_fan

I'm not sure it even was a case of 350$ being the sweet spot. It was much more of a 280-300$ (after gift cards) with 1-2 free games is the sweet spot thing. At 400$ it's back to being a bomb. Even a solo xbox @ 350$ would be a huge price increase from nov/dec sales.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Maybe, it might give them a little shot of momentum when a larger chunk are thinking about moving to the new consoles. Although I think who ever can generate the most momentum this coming summer will be able to ride it all the way to the bank.

Lol, summer?

Nipo

Well next November should be a good time to buy one then. I expect $299 with 3-4 games to be pretty standard after getting beat in sales by PS4 for another 10 months.

Seems like a really strange decisions as the console has already been devalued in so many minds. After seeing it for $329 with 4 games I know I won't buy it until it is at least that cheap.

Paracelsus

Won't this alert people who will go into "ok, I didn't buy one now, I'll see you next November when you once again repeat the pricecut"?

ypo

Won't this alert people who will go into "ok, I didn't buy one now, I'll see you next November when you once again repeat the pricecut"?

Yep at this point anyone who buys it before the next holiday is dumb and pissing money away.

Petrie

Banned
MS is doing themselves a disservice here, I'm at the gym and have seen 2 TV ads on ESPN thus far still pushing the $349.99 price. So your going to get people to the store, and they'll end up work nothing or considering the PS4 when they see the price. Good move guys.

vpance

Yes, but MS rationale is that they move more than half their yearly sales in #Primetime. So if they sell at worst, 50% less than PS4 in pre-season, they can make up for a lot of it if not more in Nov and Dec. Essentially their strategy may be to sell at break even cost the most of the year, and then go and eat $100-150 per unit on 2.5 to 3 million sales.

EatMyFace

Banned
I was in CostCo yesterday and if I read correctly, it was $329 there still. They had a mountain of them.

Is the price change permanently back to $399?
Supposedly/Officially I guess.
I think any price below $399 is the retailers themselves trying to clear stock and taking a hit on their own profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom