• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Swear just like yesterday I saw a commercial on TV saying it was now $349.. maybe it was just a late running ad with the promo price.. but didn't seem that way.

I didn't think they really raise it back.. kind of crazy move.. bet they move to rolling individual retailer promos for a bit before an official drop.

Derpyduck

Banned
What?

Calm down. Some people don't realize these things are temporary. Some people were busy during the holidays and would just get to using their Christmas bonus now. Some people will wait for their tax return.

You not being able to take perspectice is the weird thing here.

Calm down? Do kids really still say that? Neat. Your story is still weird to me. Sorry. MS and retailers were not coy about the fact that the 349.99 price point was limited to the holidays.

Chris1

Yep at this point anyone who buys it before the next holiday is dumb and pissing money away.
Isn't that the same for both consoles? you're pissing money away either way because next holiday there will be free game bundles and price cuts for both the ps4 and xbox one.

That's like saying 'why buy a console at launch? just wait 8 years or you're just being dumb and pissing money away'

Well, duh. It was a short term move to push machines in the Holiday season - growing marketshare and making the platform more desirable for all parties. They'll see a dip in January sales (which is not unexpected), then start offering bundles with new releases around the time Evolve comes out.

I think we will see a permanent $350 option at E3 - likely a slim model of some sort (that sacrifices some hard drive space & nixes HDMI-passthrough).

Isn't that the same for both consoles? you're pissing money away either way because next holiday there will be free game bundles and price cuts for both the ps4 and xbox one.

That's like saying 'why buy a console at launch? just wait 8 years or you're just being dumb and pissing money away'
Yep. For many, the extra $100 is worth the ability to play games for months. I know it's worth it for me.

Derpyduck

Banned
Well, duh. It was a short term move to push machines in the Holiday season - growing marketshare and making the platform more desirable for all parties. They'll see a dip in January sales (which is not unexpected), then start offering bundles with new releases around the time Evolve comes out.

I think we will see a permanent $350 option at E3 - likely a slim model of some sort (that sacrifices some hard drive space & nixes HDMI-passthrough).

They definitely need a new slim model, and they need to make it look like a video game console this time. But they can't afford to give less HD space. With all the space they reserve for themselves, it's already too small.

SeanR1221

Calm down? Do kids really still say that? Neat. Your story is still weird to me. Sorry. MS and retailers were not coy about the fact that the 349.99 price point was limited to the holidays.

Well....I think I just saw...

MS is doing themselves a disservice here, I'm at the gym and have seen 2 TV ads on ESPN thus far still pushing the $349.99 price. So your going to get people to the store, and they'll end up work nothing or considering the PS4 when they see the price. Good move guys.

Oh!

Hmm....

Yeah, soooo weird. so so weird.

Right, but we figured that was just a marketing ploy to get people to want to buy it before the limited time is up, the pull a "thanks to the wonderful response, we've decided to extend the price drop." We didn't think Microsoft would actually go through with raising the price back. Clearly, we misunderestimated them,

"We"? Please speak for yourself. The ones familiar with MS' past temporary price cuts did not expect anything else.

Purest 78

I think he's saying if you could get an x1 at $329 with two free games and gift cards this year. You can only imagine the deals coming next year.

The Lamp

Yep at this point anyone who buys it before the next holiday is dumb and pissing money away.

Lol, dumb?

Waiting 10 months to save $50 on something you really really want is what sounds dumb to me. If you wait till the holidays it means you probably don't care that much to get a console right now.

I'm still waiting for Scalebound before pulling the trigger and getting an Xbone. Microsoft's exclusives are kinda meh and I don't care about racing games. The only exclusive I want is Sunset Overdrive, and I bet it'll be $5-$10 in a digital sale by 2016. I'm hoping the bone will be in the 200-300 range by then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, MS said they were going to do it, so they followed through. Let's see how it does for them for the first half of this year

I'm speaking for myself and those that thought similarly. My "we" was not meant to include everyone.

I am aware of that. I am actually surprised that so many here have been surprised :).

Btw, there is already another lineup preparing for crow pie: Those suggesting the One`s price tag will go down to 349 US$ within the first quarter of 2015.

Not going to happen.

Swear just like yesterday I saw a commercial on TV saying it was now $349.. maybe it was just a late running ad with the promo price.. but didn't seem that way.

I didn't think they really raise it back.. kind of crazy move.. bet they move to rolling individual retailer promos for a bit before an official drop.
I did see an ad on tv for 349.99 yesterday. Went to microsofts website and it was still 349.99. Must have happened this morning.

Mikey Jr.

Well, MS said they were going to do it, so they followed through. Let's see how it does for them for the first half of this year

I think their new strategy is this.

1. Jan-Oct= Normal price

2. Nov-Dec= Super fucking crazy deals

Seems to have worked out for them in year one.

vesvci

Banned
Let's see how long this $399 price will last. I'd say until Feb/March.

Gotta make the $349 feel good about the "sale". I got my white one for $280, and I feel meh.

Mrbob

I'll eat crow, definitely thought MS would at the very least have a model with a larger hdd ( 1 TB ) at $399.

I'm still waiting for Scalebound before pulling the trigger and getting an Xbone. Microsoft's exclusives are kinda meh and I don't care about racing games. The only exclusive I want is Sunset Overdrive, and I bet it'll be $5-$10 in a digital sale by 2016. I'm hoping the bone will be in the 200-300 range by then.

I'm expecting both the PS4 and XB1 to be $299 by Holiday 2015.

ypo

Lol, dumb?

Waiting 10 months to save $50 on something you really really want is what sounds dumb to me. If you wait till the holidays it means you probably don't care that much to get a console right now.

The Xbone was effectively $220 this holiday, hardly saving just $50. Who know how much more desperate MS will get. The gap is only going to get wider.

vesvci

Banned

1. Jan-Oct= Normal price

What about during Titanfall launch? XBOs where not being sold at then normal price. They had some great sales during those couple of months. Not an "official" price drop, but definitely not MSRP (I believe retailers don't drop prices unless allowed by manufactures per contracts).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

1. Jan-Oct= Normal price

I think its a flawed plan personally. They cant really be expecting Sony to be having a weak holiday like this year again. And so, what happens, Sony wins all normal months and then ties or wins against Xbox in the holidays in America too?

MS should be detailing their concurrent strategy to be a little more robust so they can compete on a steady ground for a majority of the year.

Lynn616

he is right tho... $329 + $50 coupon + free new game (AC+AC)

Unless they lower the price again, their numbers will crash heavily especially Feb and later.
Why in the world would anyone want to buy one for $399 now?

$329? How long did that last? How long and widespread was the $50 gift card? I thought it was mostly $349 with the bundle.

Endo Punk

Well MS were clear when they said only for the holidays but I just assumed after the thrashing xb1 gave the ps4 it would become a permanent price cut. I guess what was a desperate move was nothing but a desperate move, it did help though. Curious to see if the momentum has shifting for these few months.

I excepted the drop in price and all, but does the xbox one even have any exclusives coming out of the next four to five months to actually keep sales going?

Lucky for MS this is the "pre-season" part of the year.

All 10 months of it :/

1. Jan-Oct= Normal price

If you consider the fact XBO sales have flatlined everywhere outside of NA and maybe UK, then actually look at the yearly totals there, then consider the fact they're only maybe going to tie (if not worst) with Sony in those two markets for the whole gen....

....then it's not really working for what it needs to be doing. They have to dominate NA and UK just to hopefully come about-near PS4 globally. Even a 1-million lead yearly in those places isn't enough. They need like 4+ million leads, annually, for the entire gen.

Never going to happen.

Tigress

But the issue is that they only gained momentum back by severely undercutting the PS4 at great cost. Even when they axed Kinect in June, Sony still beat them handily month after month until November. MS hasn't proven the Xone is worth as much as Sony's box yet, and that perception will persist if they can only stay in the mix with crazy deals.

If the numbers for January and the months to come revert back to pre-holiday levels, with Sony staying comfortably ahead and eroding their Nov/Dec gains, then the Christmastime push was an expensive waste.

I dunno, I think they already have managed to turn around perception, at least in the USA. People have short memories and holidays are where they are especially paying attention.

I just think that it will help with perception (Which I think is MS's main target with these moves over anything else). THey have shown the console can sell and there is a market for it (just not at the price they are offering. Now they have it at the price it doesn't sell well at but they can just say this is not a time period they are as worried about as stuff like consoles doesn't sell as well anyways during this time).

Anyways, I could be wrong *shrug*. It's not a huge matter to me, I got a PS4 and not an xbox one so it's not like it matters to me if they succeed or fail (I just want the PS4 to succeed ;). Honestly, long as I get Fallout on something I can play it on that is all I care <- though right now having a mac and no xbox one that means fallout has to come on PS4). I just think it might have worked.

Wow, I can't believe they did it. Whatever I guess. They better hope their momentum strategy works out for them or they are going to be in for a rough 3/4ths of a year.

MS is doing themselves a disservice here, I'm at the gym and have seen 2 TV ads on ESPN thus far still pushing the $349.99 price. So your going to get people to the store, and they'll end up work nothing or considering the PS4 when they see the price. Good move guys.

Their advertising right now for XB1 is being kind of misleading. I also saw a commercial for the Halo 5 beta and if i recall correctly the ad was trying to make it seem like a whole game and not a beta. I think the only time it actually said it was the beta was a split second shot of "Halo 5" with "multiplayer beta" written in small print beneath it easily missable.

Banned
I am surprised. With the sales they saw they may wait a bit to officially cut the price to $350 in the spring time or summer time.

Derpyduck

Banned
$329? How long did that last? How long and widespread was the $50 gift card? I thought it was mostly $349 with the bundle.

329 with a 50 dollar gift card was a one or two day thing and I think only one retailer did it (Target, but Amazon may have matched it). The 349 + AC/AC + 50 dollar gift card has been going on for about the past 3 weeks and most every retailer has been doing it.

spwolf

$329 + game + $50 gift card is what "won" november by long shot.... and they had $349 + AC + $50 gift card in December as well.

Since these deals in various form have been running for 50-60 days at least, I find it hard to believe that sales will continue at $399...

I just checked on Amazon and there are bunch of 3rd party sellers selling under $350 still.

Biker19

Banned
I'm always surprised that people think that just because Microsoft has all the money in the world, they somehow would spend it on the Xbox division.

They have infinite money anyways....

Oh wait.

It's mind-boggling to me.

The marketing ploy was clearly to win PR for a few good months and get some good press. Buying time for 2015 releases.

And it worked.

And then they flushed it all down the toilet. Even if they lower the price to $350, consumers aren't going to trust them again so easily.

Chris1

Legally they need to return to regular price. For how long, who knows. What's certain is that firesale round two is coming this year. They'll push TR as hard as they did AC.
I can see them pushing it even harder as they're competing with U4 while AC didn't really have anything to compete with.

My prediction is TR:DE + ROTR bundle, price cut, available in black, white, kinect and 1tb hd on all consoles.

Plus, calling it now...
have you seen tomb raider?

I dunno, I think they already have managed to turn around perception, at least in the USA. People have short memories and holidays are where they are especially paying attention.

I just think that it will help with perception (Which I think is MS's main target with these moves over anything else). THey have shown the console can sell and there is a market for it (just not at the price they are offering. Now they have it at the price it doesn't sell well at but they can just say this is not a time period they are as worried about as stuff like consoles doesn't sell as well anyways during this time).

Anyways, I could be wrong *shrug*. It's not a huge matter to me, I got a PS4 and not an xbox one so it's not like it matters to me if they succeed or fail (I just want the PS4 to succeed ;). Honestly, long as I get Fallout on something I can play it on that is all I care <- though right now having a mac and no xbox one that means fallout has to come on PS4). I just think it might have worked.

We'll just have to see, I guess.

It'll be especially telling to see how MS reacts when Sony cuts their price, and what happens next holiday when both consoles are selling at a discount.

Derpyduck

Banned
Amazon fixed their price. It's 399.00 now, but there's a bunch of resellers on Amazon now that are still at 349.99 or below.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Tiger Direct is $399.

Newegg is $349 still.

EB games online is $399.

Fry's is $349

MS store is $399

Amazon (itself) $399

BestBuy $399

I wonder if some folks are just not getting the memo or if they have an agreement to sell out the bundle at $349 and then raise it back? Strange.

Demon Ice

Banned
Meh. Literally had an XB1 in my Amazon shopping cart since the day MCC was released, was waiting for word that it was finally fixed. Guess the price went up before that happened so out of my cart it goes.

Will be interesting to see how long it stays at $399.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Waiting 10 months to save $50 on something you really really want is what sounds dumb to me.
Yeah, but what could be the reason to buy an Xbox before Halo 5 if you didn't buy it already during this holiday season? What is there to convince you to pay $399 without game if $349 with two games was not enough? From now on, you'll get all the same games on PS4 (as better versions) for same price plus some PS exclusives.

Also, about the momentum: did Xbox pricing affect PS4 momentum in any way? Weren't its sales numbers pretty much in line with all successful consoles in previous generations on their second holiday season?

And can you really speak about momentum, when you get a temporary bump for selling at fire sale prices in year's best months? Shouldn't we let the dust settle a bit?

Is momentum even a real thing?

Derpyduck

Banned
Tiger Direct is $399.

Newegg is $349 still.

EB games online is $399.

Fry's is $349

MS store is $349

Amazon (itself) $399

BestBuy $399

I wonder if some folks are just not getting the memo or if they have an agreement to sell out the bundle at $349 and then raise it back? Strange.

MS Store is 399. They also added a refurbished with Kinect model for 399.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom