• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

GavinGT

Banned
White controller anyone?

http://www.evilcontrollers.com/glossy-white.html

glossywhite_1.png

They have a few others, too. http://www.evilcontrollers.com/products/custom-controllers/custom-xbox-one-controllers.html

FYI, I talked with the owner of Evil Controllers (he's a friend) and he told me they can do both matte and glossy finishes for all designs.

I'm not entirely familiar with how the Kinect voice recognition works but is it possible to load up certain websites with your voice so you can annoy your friends?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Very surprise xbone runs hotter than ps4. Sony are wizards.

Both have about same noise level 1 meter

It's hard to compare noise levels this low as ambient noise room is around that level and we would need a sound room to hear the real difference and record the differences properly.

how is possible that AC IV cant go to 1080p on xbox one ?

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-in-native-1080p-on-playstation-4/

I will not buy AC, I dont like this things, sorry.

There is no confirmation on resolution in that article or confirmation that it won't change in the future.

Anyway I'm not worried about it because looking at games like BF4 and RYSE the upscaling on Xbox One is pretty amazing.

Killer Instinct looks so fun. I am sticking with my PS4 but you guys on the other side sure do have an awesome piece of hardware to look forward to in a couple days. Controller looks sexy, and that battery life is crazy nice.

I'll have to wait until after christmas to jump in.

In the mean time I'll continue to drool over KI.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Killer Instinct looks so fun. I am sticking with my PS4 but you guys on the other side sure do have an awesome piece of hardware to look forward to in a couple days. Controller looks sexy, and that battery life is crazy nice.

I'll have to wait until after christmas to jump in.

In the mean time I'll continue to drool over KI.

Thanks man!

I plan on picking up a PS4 in maybe a years time(I don't make much money) for some exclusives and hope you have and are having a great time on it!

I'm wondering how long fully charged Eneloops will last in the controller?

Oh boy didn't know that the Kinect immediately puts the controller into standby whenever you put it down & turns on when you pick it up, Polygon claims they're getting insane battery life as a result.

So cool.

USC-fan

Banned
It's hard to compare noise levels this low as ambient noise room is around that level and we would need a sound room to hear the real difference and record the differences properly.

At that point it doest matter. Its quiet enough.

What i was surprise about was xbone runs 40f hotter than ps4 while using a larger box, external psu and less power. While both are around the same noise level at 1 meter in a normal room.

FordGTGuy

Banned
At that point it doest matter. Its quiet enough.

What i was surprise about was xbone runs 40f hotter than ps4 while using a larger box, external psu and less power. While both are around the same noise level at 1 meter in a normal room.

Look at picture above, the PS4 runs about 20f hotter, a bigger fan and less power mean nothing as it is most likely cooling it within tolerance of the hardware.

This means a long lasting fan over time because it doesn't have to spin as fast. :D

Yondy604

Banned
Is it true there is no stream option from twitch tv right out of the game like the ps4 has?.

Or is this a lie. Tell me it's a lie...

Robso

Anyone else insanely happy to hear that Polygon has played a week and a half on a single Xbox One controller charge(and it's still going) with the Kinect + controller standby mode?

Wow. Never expected that.

The day is edging ever closer, looking forward to it more and more.

ahartig

There is 5.1 you just have to enable it which is a BETA feature and I doubt you would really notice PQ difference on live TV.

I'm confused on whether the optical out converts DD 5.1 to DTS and sends it that way, or if it just doesn't send it at all. For example, if I have a blue ray disc that only has a DD 5.1 soundtrack, will I be forced to listen to it in stereo if optical out is my only audio option

The thing that does seem borked are the voice commands.

I'm somewhat puzzled by this as Xbox 360's Kinect voice commands work for me 95% of the time, if not more often, and I'm not even a native speaker. The only exception is Bing search, you can never be sure what you're going to end up with there.

The rest sounds fine, as expected. Perhaps some of the issues will even be ironed out in two or three months that will take me to get one (and hey, TV support for us Europeans would be nice, Microsoft, really). The wait will be long and arduous, but my backlog will tide me over somehow.

Can you guys look at FordGTGuy's post history and tell me he is not a marketing shill? Nearly every post is just defending the system and speaking in weird PR speak. It's incredibly odd.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Is it true there is no stream option from twitch tv right out of the game like the ps4 has?.

Or is this a lie. Tell me it's a lie...

No streaming out of the box right now on the console itself but unlike PS4 the Xbox One is capable of recording through HDMI so if you have a game recording device that will work.

It sucks but just like the PS4 both of the systems are missing big features at launch...

I love how MS has fooled people into believing that upscaling is some special magic thing.

It's not magic, upscaling can be worse or better depending on hardware and software.

Can you guys look at FordGTGuy's post history and tell me he is not a marketing shill? Nearly every post is just defending the system and speaking in weird PR speak. It's incredibly odd.

Damn I wish, I have $30 to my name right now xD.

USC-fan

Banned
Look at picture above, the PS4 runs about 20f hotter, a bigger fan and less power mean nothing as it is most likely cooling it within tolerance of the hardware.

This means a long lasting fan over time because it doesn't have to spin as fast. :D

You are comparing apples to oranges. That picture is is going through the back vents into the heat sink itself.

I was looking at the same site that did the xbone chart. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

Comparing apples to apples. :)

I'm on my phone maybe someone can post both charts together for me.

MarkusRJR

In the picture above, the fan end is being faced toward the camera. For all we know that's the hot air being shot out. Reports of internal temps were in the mid 40's (Celsius) when playing games. My 360's fan shoots out insane hot air through the fans but that's not the internal temp.

Klocker

or maybe he is just correcting faulty memes and innuendo with facts because too much goes around as rumor

I'm curious to see to see what Ford thinks of the lack of any way to tell what your battery levels are and the lack of any storage management capabilities. The other stuff you could understand being patched in later but those seem inexcusable to not have at launch.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You are comparing apples to oranges. That picture is is going through the back vents into the heat sink itself.

I was looking at the same site that did the xbone chart. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

Comparing apples to apples. :)

Well like I said this is a non-issue as both consoles are surely capable of handling their internal temperatures and it can't be argued that Microsoft's solution is capable of breathing better.

What really matters is that they are both quiet and (relatively)cool at launch for their consumers.

Although I am interested in the RPM differences on the fans in these systems and other more detailed information.

I'm curious to see to see what Ford thinks of the lack of any way to tell what your battery levels are and the lack of any storage management capabilities. The other stuff you could understand being patched in later but those seem inexcusable to not have at launch.

The lack of battery level indication and HDD support is pretty stupid but nothing really strange as seeing both systems are missing core features(PS4 is namely missing Standby mode and suspend at launch which just like features on Xbox One will be fixed in time.) and at least the XOne OS seems to make a little more sense in the way it works.

Like for instance on the Xbox One if you start a bunch of downloads it will queue them and if you pause one another will start downloading while on the PS4 everything downloads at once with no options to pause downloads at all.

If you're a "fanboy" of either console I don't think there is any reason to be boasting about a more complete experience right now.

Like if or not we're all beta testers at the launches of these consoles and hopefully they fix a lot of the problems soon.

I'm thinking we will see a implementation of a HDD manager when external drive support comes in.

Klocker

tell what your battery levels are and the lack of any storage management capabilities. The other stuff you could understand being patched in later but those seem inexcusable to not have at launch.

shit is that for real?

a little surprising but obviously coming since those are both in 360. Its not like they ignored them.

yeah even I have a problem with that and I am pretty pro xbox one lol

Storage management meaning you can not delete or copy/move files?

it just deletes older stuff as it fills up. you can't even see how much free space you have. if you leave your system offline you'll eventually just lose all your saves and stuff because it can't upload to the cloud.

probably a rare scenario but I can see it happening.

USC-fan

Banned
Well like I said this is a non-issue as both consoles are surely capable of handling their internal temperatures and it can't be argued that Microsoft's solution is capable of breathing better.

What really matters is that they are both quiet and (relatively)cool at launch for their consumers.

Although I am interested in the RPM differences on the fans in these systems and other more detailed information.
yeah never said it was an issue in was just surprised.

Also ps4 has standby at launch. Takes about 5-15sec to get to dashboard and uses 10watts in standby.

Maybe the system auto deletes games so you don't need to handle storage management.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Facts like the bone having some kind of super duper exceptional upscaling that is really amazing?

I'm sorry but I never hyperboled it like that.

I merely gave some examples that have shown some nicely upscaled titles on Xbox One, what exactly is wrong with that?

From what I've seen of the systems I currently think the XOne is doing a better job upscaling like on BF4 which even DF agrees looks a little blurry on PS4 and maybe due to poor upscaling.

Xbox 360 had a pretty good upscaler and the Xbox One upscaler is supposed to be much better and of course having more display panes helps with being able to render UIs at a different native resolution.

This is exactly what it does.

Yep, Giant Bomb talked about it and I see two things about this problem.

1) By the time you face any HDD issues external HDD support should already be implemented.(Hopefully this will include a HDD manager too.).

2) You can manually delete games you don't play anyway and prevent one of your games from hitting the chop block.

Although apparently even though it deletes the games data it leaves what is needed to start playing it while downloading, for RYSE that's 3 GB and apparently Brad was able to start playing a chapter in 90 seconds after getting to the main menu of 3 GB of data.

The coolest thing I heard for it is that it seems to download exactly what you're playing so if you go to RYSE chapter 3 it will focus on getting that chapter running first.

Klocker

The storage nonsense is insane... Better be a temporary situation. If it is a "storage for dummies" decision, I'll be pissed

Top Bottom