• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Price To Go Back Up - Last Chance for $350

jacobeid

Banned
Surprising move, Microsoft. I wonder if we'll see comparable deals through retailers whereas the "official" offer will end?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just realized, it's even crazier to raise the price since PS4 has two major exclusives in February and March and comarketing for a couple huge titles in the first half. MS is going to lose a lot of momentum as Sony builds it up again.

SalvaPot

I think its smart of them, hardly no one will buy it after the holidays, so people who think the discounting price is a great deal will go out right now to get it for that deal, or just wait for next holiday season for it to go down again.

Also if some kids got it for christmas and those kids convince other kids to get one to play with them, parents are not going to notice that the machine went up in price.

I wonder if it will be a soft rise, i.e. still sell it cheaper to retailers so they can keep discounting it whilst making it seem like a bargain ($50 off! Wow!)

As I said before in the pal charts thread, if they even attempt this in the UK, they are basically killing their console.

The £299 barrier has been breached. Neither console can go back.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I think they planned it correctly and got exactly what they wanted.

Mindshare

Now with more people with Xbox, they don't have to worry about there being a level of doubt when looking to buy one. The most vocal will spread the word and will cause lots of other to buy one.

Temporary or not, they did a good job in dropping that price. Getting it into a lot of hands, and executing. Now all they have to worry about is advertising more, and showing off games. They got enough of the crowd, I think this was a great idea.

I don't see people who waited for it to drop to 350 to then recommend it to others at 400.

ronito

They did this for marketshare, I get that. But if the consumer base perceives inconsistencies in price they'll just wait it out until they subside. I suspect this might stall their growth.

Apathy

Looking at this from a marketing standpoint it kind of makes sense because in 6 months or however long they can announce a.... "permanent new price drop of $50 making the Xbox 1 only $349!" and get some extra sales from that, while recouping some of the losses at $399 in the months in between.

Yeah, but at that point your main competitor has been out on the market for long enough that they will probably be at the price cut position as well.

Xando

Was this discount US only? A friend mentioned interest but we're not from the US. I don't even know what the current price is of this thing lol.

Was US only. Price is all over the place here in germany though ( From 300€ until 500€ with kinect ).

Chris1

Lol... they're seriously not going ahead with this, right?

They have to be planning a price drop around march. No way $400 is sticking longterm

Was it confirmed that $350 was a loss? I honestly don't know.

The console being sold at a loss for $350? maybe, maybe not.

The console + free games + whatever else they're giving away with it? absolutely. It has to be.

Boke1879

They are actually going back up in price? Big mistake IMO.

To be honest. I fully expect them to stay at this price. It makes no sense to raise it back to $400 when they've gained so much ground. But we'll see

statham

I expect a Valentine's Day sale, Father's Day, Easter, Mother's Day and 4th of July sale all lasting several weeks each.

Lol this is like those places that always have clearance or going out of business signs up year round to try to get business. That price isn't going back up.

Amir0x

Banned
ITT: Gaf finds anything to bitch about because they're unhappy with their lives.

what a fucking ridiculous and pathetic comment. Maybe try contributing your thoughts as to where people are going wrong instead of trying to snipe the very community you're apart of, brosef.

ryan299

It just says the Assassin's Bundle doesn't it? That will go back up and they'll probably put the base model at 349

Well that seems pretty ominous for a price increase.

I think its a bad decision unless they're planning new bundles, I expected them to go all in and be aggressive in US to get some sort of lead, I can see a continual cycle of Jan-Sept going to Sony and then if MS do their sales again October being unclear and Nov/Dec probably Microsoft but I'm not sure thats a particularly good cycle to get themselves into

LQX

I bet if they lower the price again it will be with a redesign as I cant see them raising the price then lowering it again as it will look like joke. So yeah I calling it now, slimmer redesign announcement at E3 at $299-$350. Or Kinect bundle at $399.

if they honestly do do that it would be the perfect opportunity for sony to drop the ps4 price to 350.

quite a strategic move if you ask me

J-Spot

What is their plan here? This will kill their momentum. Permanent price drop in a month or two when sales drop off? Do they have a slightly cheaper internal revision on deck for 2015 so they lose less money?
The plan seems to have been to sell the system at enough of a loss to make their victory in the NPD inevitable for two months, then hope that the PR and increased user base creates enough momentum for them to take over as the industry leader without compromising profits.

Stanng243

Walmart has this 350$ price as a rollback? Aren't Rollbacks usually permanent? I'm curious to see how Walmart reacts if/when Microsoft raises their price.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jan. 3rd - Last day for $349
Jan. 4th - $350 new official price
huehuehu
Yup. They'll just remove the packed in games and sell the base system for $350. There's no way it's going back to $400.

Cse

Banned
There is absolutely no way they raise the price back to $400.

I imagine this is a last big push to boost holiday sales.

I'm legit shook, really thought they wouldn't dare cranking the price up to 400$ again. Maybe they'll do an official permanent price cut around E3.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I bet if they lower the price again it will be with a redesign as I cant see them raising the price then lowering it again as it will look like joke. So yeah I calling it now, slimmer redesign announcement at E3 at $299-$350. Or Kinect bundle at $399.

$299 w/ 2 free games, Xbox One slim, holiday 2015. That's when I am jumping in. $250 is even sweeter. MS gotta bring that slim goodness at E3 this year.

Duxxy3

Last chance to buy the Assassin's creed bundle for $349.

But it's OK, you can buy an MCC/Minecraft bundle for the same price.

At least that's what I'm expecting.

I'm legit shook, really thought they wouldn't dare cranking the price up again. Maybe they'll do an official permanent price cut around E3.

Something tells me they were taking more of loss per sale than they wanted but had to get the numbers up so they do not look like they are getting completely wiped by Sony. December NPD numbers should be interesting if MS can do 800k+ more than Sony they will have closed the gap.

system11

If they sell it at the current sale price they're saying:

"Our console is worth less than a Playstation 4".

Politically they have to increase it again, so they're doing it in a period that doesn't matter.

NickFire

Hot damn I was not expecting this. They must have taken significant losses the last 2 months to risk losing all the momentum they gained in their top markets.

Bgamer90

Banned
Will wait to see what they do -- currently just seems like a move to get as many sales as they can before the December NPD period ends.

They will be making a big mistake if all SKUs go back to $400+. Sales (NPD) have shown that being the cheapest console for current gen multiplats (upfront price) is a good position to be in.

Toki767

If they sell it at the current sale price they're saying:

"Our console is worth less than a Playstation 4".

Politically they have to increase it again, so they're doing it in a period that doesn't matter.

They've already said for the past 2 months.

Top Bottom