• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X - Available November 7 for $499

cucuchu

I wonder if they will go the route of the elite controller and produce a more limited amount of Xbox One X's or if they are going to want to ensure everyone that wants one will get one.

Hopefully the FCC clears this soon so I can get a preorder in before I get distracted by others things in life. Maybe they will make the announcement at Gamescom after their presser that its "available for preorder tomorrow" or the like. I personally don't want to wait that long but this thing is quite a ways off from release so I could see it happening.

HZ8AnU2.jpg

This image is hilarious to me.

JoeLT

Really hope they give the option between 4K/30 and 1080/60 in Horizon 3, don't see why they wouldn't as long as it defaults to the whole 4K thing they have going on. Plenty of games on PS4 Pro seem to have options like these.

After reading that technical performance of a given game i.e. Destiny 2 is still determined by the discretion of the developer for any given reason completely defeats the purpose of buying this system for me... I was considering buying this in place of a new gaming PC.

Luckydog

Pre E3:

Xbox One: The odd exclusive / Barely played it
PS4 Pro: Multi-platform / Exclusives / Primary console

Post E3:

Xbox One X: Multi-platform games / The odd exclusive / Primary console
PS4 Pro: Exclusives

Like most people I made the switch to PS4 after what was a disappointing start to the gen with Xbox One. Given the power advantage and the fact its able to play UHD Blu-rays, ill be switching back. No fanboyism just the fact it will play better looking and performing games. (And yes I also have a great gaming PC)

I had switched to PS4 as a primary this gen, but I will be switching back. Not in love with the exclusives from PS4 outside of the amazing Horizon, can't live without Forza, and I have a 4K HDR TV and reciever to enjoy this on. I can sell my OG Xbox One to alliviate some of the pain, and enjoy Forza and the best multiplats for consoles.

Luckydog

Worth saying that it is a pre-alpha build.

This isnt directed at you, but I wish devs and news outlets would stop bastardizing these terms. NOTHING this late in development is freaking PRE-ALPHA. If they want to say nightly build, untested, etc go ahead. There is no way they havnt started formalized testing in the process. /rant.

EvB

After reading that technical performance of a given game i.e. Destiny 2 is still determined by the discretion of the developer for any given reason completely defeats the purpose of buying this system for me... I was considering buying this in place of a new gaming PC.

Frame rate is only 1 aspect of the "technical performance" the game is already confirmed to be running at a higher resolution than the other console versions.
It should be expected that we will see other improvements too.
This shouldn't come as a surprise, as MS have been very clear from the start that they are targeting resolution improvements and Bungie themselves came forwards and said that frame rate on Pro was limited by the CPU.

I mean, if it turns out texture quality is same , AF, AA , shadows etc are indentical, then that would be a worrying precedent.

I was initially in denial that Xbox One X would run me $499, and when the price got announced I just accepted that I wouldn't buy one this year. Now I've finally come around and realized that the hardware is worth that price to me. I'll be playing the vast majority of my games on Xbox and I'll get no real benefit out of holding off on upgrading.

Where the hell are those pre-orders?

paulogy

I don't want to get into semantics with what classifies as a "big game"... but I was expecting that one of the titles between GoW, Detroit, or Days Gone, would hit this fall... something they would push with a lot of marketing. GT Sport will of course be solid, though.

It's a strategy we've seen from Sony for quite a few years now... rely on 3rd party marketing to sell consoles in the holiday season and push your 1P stuff elsewhere. It works, but them not having a barrage of big games does free up just a bit of headspace that MS can insert the One X into.

Maybe I'm totally off base on that.

No I agree, and I think this year is setting out to go exactly the same way. Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, COD, will all duke it out for end-of-the-year dominance, while PlayStation has marketing rights, meanwhile their first party marquee offerings like God of War, Days Gone etc. will fill up the first half of next year nicely as things did this year.

Can someone explain to me how exactly this thing is as small as it is? I saw a picture next to a One S and it seems noticably smaller.

Magic? Vodoo? A soul pact with Satan? Or just good engineering (and, if so, how exactly)?

Anyway, I'm going to look out for a teardown video come November ...

Majine

Banned
Can someone explain to me how exactly this thing is as small as it is? I saw a picture next to a One S and it seems noticably smaller.

Magic? Vodoo? A soul pact with Satan? Or just good engineering (and, if so, how exactly)?

Anyway, I'm going to look out for a teardown video come November ...

You can make consoles pretty small... if you're willing to invest the R&D into it. Which they did.

Belker

I was initially in denial that Xbox One X would run me $499, and when the price got announced I just accepted that I wouldn't buy one this year. Now I've finally come around and realized that the hardware is worth that price to me. I'll be playing the vast majority of my games on Xbox and I'll get no real benefit out of holding off on upgrading.

Where the hell are those pre-orders?

Are there enough games to justify the hardware?

Right now we don't know exactly how the majority of titles are going to be affected, in what way and to what extent.

Are there enough games to justify the hardware?

Right now we don't know exactly how the majority of titles are going to be affected, in what way and to what extent.

As someone who uses Xbox for all third party games and plans to buy a 4K TV eventually, absolutely! In the meantime we know there are automatic benefits like system-level supersampling for games that choose to target 4K.

I'm not buying an Xbox One X with the impression that devs will fine-tune things for the 1080p TV that I have in all or most cases. I'm buying in because I know Microsoft built in hardware functionality that does some of that work for them.

Lima

I'm super down on that release date. All these great games that come out in September and October and I have to let them sit on my hard drive without playing them. FeelsBadMan

gamz

I'm super down on that release date. All these great games that come out in September and October and I have to let them sit on my hard drive without playing them. FeelsBadMan

I know! It's gonna be a long wait.

BTW - is it me or is every thread today been either Phil or Xbox One X related. It's crazy day

Well I was originally going to wait, but after sleeping on it I am gonna get it day 1. It's still going to be an exclusive machine, but the 4k player and enhanced BC pushed me over the edge. Just need Tales of Vesperia BC to make me truly happy lol.

Also let us Preorder!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Really hope they give the option between 4K/30 and 1080/60 in Horizon 3, don't see why they wouldn't as long as it defaults to the whole 4K thing they have going on. Plenty of games on PS4 Pro seem to have options like these.

If a game is CPU bound, it doesn't matter how much you reduce the resolution, it won't run at 60fps.

JoeLT

If a game is CPU bound, it doesn't matter how much you reduce the resolution, it won't run at 60fps.
I don't know how people have come to the conclusion because the architecture is Jaguar these CPU's are suddenly useless. It's still a 2.3Ghz Eight Core Jaguar (with some possible changes), it's as if Jaguar has become some kind of anti-console buzzword. A great example is seeing just how big of a performance increase we can see in an ACTUALLY CPU bound game, like Battlefield 1 with 64 players. Looking at PS4 Pro footage I have no doubt it will be solid 60 on One X. Horizon 3 as well just recently had a complete overhaul of their multi threading taking the game from 30fps to 60fps on a number of PC's. I doubt One X's CPU would have any trouble with Horizon 3, same with Destiny. Destiny 2 is probably locked to 30fps for parity more than anything, just like there was parity between Xbox One and PS4 with the original.

creatchee

Does anybody know if we can just plug and play our existing external hard drives that we used on Xbox One without having to redownload games?

I'm really not understanding this decision to submit it to the FCC so late and delaying pre-orders? It seems like the best bet would've been to open them immediately after the conference instead of letting the negativity and commentary set in for an undetermined amount of time before allowing preorders.

cucuchu

I'm really not understanding this decision to submit it to the FCC so late and delaying pre-orders? It seems like the best bet would've been to open them immediately after the conference instead of letting the negativity and commentary set in for an undetermined amount of time before allowing preorders.

I agree with you but I think they may be saving preorders for immediately after Gamescom. I hope I'm wrong but August preorder for something releasing in November isn't unlikely.

Jrs3000

A lot of things leak with the FCC, they wanted to keep it under wraps. They've done really good. No one knew the name or what it would look like before hand.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know how people have come to the conclusion because the architecture is Jaguar these CPU's are suddenly useless. It's still a 2.3Ghz Eight Core Jaguar (with some possible changes), it's as if Jaguar has become some kind of anti-console buzzword.

The fact of the matter is that XBX's CPU only has a 200 MHZ overclock over PS4 Pro's. That's only going to amount to a few frames.

If Pro can't get 60fps in a CPU bound game(which usually means the OG PS4 game isn't 60fps either) than the Scorpio will not be 60fps in that game. Its really simple.

JoeLT

The fact of the matter is that XBX's CPU only has a 200 MHZ overclock over PS4 Pro's. That's only going to amount to a few frames.

If Pro can't get 60fps in a CPU bound game(which usually means the OG PS4 game isn't 60fps either) than the Scorpio will not be 60fps in that game. Its really simple.
Hmmm I guess we'll have to wait and see, Battlefield 1 is probably the best example of a CPU bound game, as it hovers around 35-45fps in 64 player mayhem in multiplayer on PS4 if I recall. It's already gotten a huge boost with the Pro, excited to see it on One X. As well as Unity, although Unity has already gone from 20fps CPU bottlenecked to solid 30fps on the pro.

Destiny 2 will keep me occupied until release day as I can't leave that till November.

Dabanton

Thought this would come with an elite controller.

Jez from Windows Central had an interview yesterday with Mike Nichols one of the marketing wonks. Who basically said other editions are coming. So maybe we'll see a special version that comes with the Elite Controller.

JC:Could we see SKUs with bigger hard drives, or multiple colors? There's that incredible Gears of War laser-cut Xbox One S version for example ...

MN:So the plan that we're announcing now, the initial plan, is the launch with the black coloring that you saw today. We'll have some other news as we get closer and start taking preorders later in the year. Special versions and things like that, that we'll get to. We decided to keep it simple today, considering the tech specs we had to show and all the games we wanted to share. We just decided to spread some things out that we know people will be interested in, that goes in the area of special editions as well.

https://www.windowscentral.com/discussing-xbox-one-x-price-first-party-games-and-more-mike-nichols

I'm another person caving on the X even if the price is disappointing. I'm still going to hunt for a black Friday deal with a lower price or maybe a game bundled I'm interested in

Belker

As someone who uses Xbox for all third party games and plans to buy a 4K TV eventually, absolutely! In the meantime we know there are automatic benefits like system-level supersampling for games that choose to target 4K.

I'm not buying an Xbox One X with the impression that devs will fine-tune things for the 1080p TV that I have in all or most cases. I'm buying in because I know Microsoft built in hardware functionality that does some of that work for them.

Those are good points. I have a 4K HDR TV. I'm in the situation where if I upgrade to an S, I'm guaranteed HDR titles. In effect some of what the X offers graphically, but at a much lower cost.

But if I go for an X, I'm paying a premium for the HDR and waiting for all developers to want to take advantage of the X's power. And while I wait for that, for the install base to get bigger, the price may drop and Sony may challenge.

I think what will be key is, as you say, what the hardware will handle automatically for devs, whether that's graphics or frame rate. The console has to do the work for the game, it the other way around.

cucuchu

When will they be up for pre order?

The assumption is whenever its cleared by the FCC. I don't think anybody knows where they are in that process or how long it could take. I'm hoping they will give us a better timeline on when we can preorder when (hopefully) somebody asks Microsoft at E3 this week.

Wow are people still trying to defend the Jaguar Core? LOL

You need to face the reality, just like he Pro people needed to, that it's still a huge bottleneck.

You could have a 1080ti in there and it wouldn't matter for some games due to the egregious CPU bottleneck.

The CPU in the Pro and X is a 5 year old netbook CPU. It is AWFUL. It is anti-gaming in every way.

Formosa

So there are no OG Xbox, 360 or XB1 games that interest you at all? Fair enough!

I had an Xbox, but I've always buy third party games that I like on my playstation because of the better graphics and performance. I was hoping that the new X would convince me to get it on day one, but seems like the 4K deal is the SAME as the Pro (which I already own). Plus Sony's got much much better exclusives than Microsoft, and it's not even comparable.

I'll have to see what first party AAA games Microsoft will have for the new X in the future before buying one.

Fergie

Banned
Wow are people still trying to defend the Jaguar Core? LOL

You need to face the reality, just like he Pro people needed to, that it's still a huge bottleneck.

You could have a 1080ti in there and it wouldn't matter for some games due to the egregious CPU bottleneck.

The CPU in the Pro and X is a 5 year old netbook CPU. It is AWFUL. It is anti-gaming in every way.
It's done well so far but yeah, truly a weak ass CPU to be saddled with until the next gen.

Those are good points. I have a 4K HDR TV. I'm in the situation where if I upgrade to an S, I'm guaranteed HDR titles. In effect some of what the X offers graphically, but at a much lower cost.

But if I go for an X, I'm paying a premium for the HDR and waiting for all developers to want to take advantage of the X's power. And while I wait for that, for the install base to get bigger, the price may drop and Sony may challenge.

I think what will be key is, as you say, what the hardware will handle automatically for devs, whether that's graphics or frame rate. The console has to do the work for the game, it the other way around.

Hehe. Your fate is already decided. Welcome to XBOX One X. No way you're feeding your TV anything less.

Top Bottom