• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X - Available November 7 for $499

Grinchy

Banned
Even at $499 I've no doubt X1 fans would eat it up. Hell they could price it at $599 and it still would sell to the core fans. Would be interesting to see the momentum on Jan-April 2018 period.

Yeah it's a good price for native 4K gaming. I feel like people who know what it takes to run current games at 4K with the convenience of a console understand that it's a good price.

I just worry that the other 90% of the market will have no idea why they'd ever want one of these.

I'm another person caving on the X even if the price is disappointing. I'm still going to hunt for a black Friday deal with a lower price or maybe a game bundled I'm interested in

If the preorder numbers are low, a black friday deal 3 weeks later would be a certainty. I doubt price drops but possibly bundling with AC or Battlefield or CoD. They still have 5 months from now to bring down component costs.

Then again the PS4 Pro had a $50 price drop like 3 weeks after launch, didn't it? Anything's possible.

They could generate a ton of buzz by doing a 1 day post xmas $399 USD $499 CAD sale. Like, Dec 26 or Dec 31.

Yeah it's a good price for native 4K gaming. I feel like people who know what it takes to run current games at 4K with the convenience of a console understand that it's a good price.

I just worry that the other 90% of the market will have no idea why they'd ever want one of these.

True, but maybe they're trying the Apple model in the console space. Low marketshare + high profts. Focus on that highly profitable 10% who want the latest and greatest. They could have only 25% market share overall while raking in 60%+ of the industry's profits.

Hawk269

Just thought of something....come November 7th, some of us are going to have a shit load of patches to download. Especially for games that have 4k textures. I was going through the list of the Xbox One games that will get XBX updates and I own about 20 of them, that is not including any new games between now and the launch of XBX like Forza 7 and additional games that I am sure will be added to that list.

I guess what I will do is download a few to start playing and then que up the rest and let it do it's thing overnight.

I also hope that some devs do a little more than just 4k res. For example, I have Elder Scrolls On-Line on PS4 Pro and my PC gaming rig and both run at 4k, but the PS4 Pro is so off the mark compared to the PC version. Even reducing the frame rate, reducing texture quality and draw distance, the PC version still looks leaps and bounds better than the same game at 4k on the PRO. I really hope that devs use that extra memory, especially if they have a PC version with better textures.

HooYaH

Just thought of something....come November 7th, some of us are going to have a shit load of patches to download. Especially for games that have 4k textures. I was going through the list of the Xbox One games that will get XBX updates and I own about 20 of them, that is not including any new games between now and the launch of XBX like Forza 7 and additional games that I am sure will be added to that list.

I guess what I will do is download a few to start playing and then que up the rest and let it do it's thing overnight.

I also hope that some devs do a little more than just 4k res. For example, I have Elder Scrolls On-Line on PS4 Pro and my PC gaming rig and both run at 4k, but the PS4 Pro is so off the mark compared to the PC version. Even reducing the frame rate, reducing texture quality and draw distance, the PC version still looks leaps and bounds better than the same game at 4k on the PRO. I really hope that devs use that extra memory, especially if they have a PC version with better textures.
50G fallout 4 textures coming your way.....

renzolama

The amount of gaming power being squeezed into a small form factor at $499 here is pretty fantastic, and I think it will slowly find an audience of people who want PC level performance without the hassle. There are a lot of folks now in their 30s who have been gaming for a couple decades and keeping up with PC because they can afford to and want the performance but don't necessarily use a PC for anything much outside of gaming. If MS can offer them mid-high tier equivalent performance at $499 in a small, quiet console, I think they'll find at least some percentage of people who are willing to jump ship from their PCs to a 4k TV + Xbox One X.

It seems like most of the people shocked and upset by the price tag are those whom the system was never being built for and marketed to. The PS4 Pro is a perfect choice to fill that performance gap between the PS4/XBOne S and the XBOne X, so if that's the price/performance ratio people are looking for then great, you found it already. No reason to be upset that Microsoft wants to sell something to a different customer who wants more performance.

Norse

Which multiplats and exclusives am I going to get this for? Because I am absolutely getting one.

Shadow of War, clearly, but what else can I enjoy on this? I'll already own Cuphead on my S.

Maybe Anthem? Does Ori have a release date?

Wolfenstein II

Yeah, would have been nice had it been 399 but it's a good buy at 499 too.

What did steam boxes sell for? What was their capabilities compared to the 1X?

Boss Man

I want an excuse to buy an Xbox X, but I can't find one. Doesn't even necessarily need to be an exclusive.

I may get one and just play 4K Skyrim on it like I have been on PS4 Pro, but that will feel dumb.

Haines

Banned
Im curious.

Could someone come up with 3 best things to come from buying this system for someone that already owns a pro?

I guess i always thought this would be the console for vr but that went out the window.

I assume forza would be 1 point. What else does the scorpio best the pro in?

Boss Man

Im curious.

Could someone come up with 3 best things to come from buying this system for someone that already owns a pro?

I guess i always thought this would be the console for vr but that went out the window.

Better hardware.
Better online platform.
4K Bluray.

You've gotta find an interesting game that actually runs only on or better on Xbox X to really be pushed though, gl with that.

If you own a 4K TV I think it's the better console, but I couldn't tell you what game you should be excited to play.

Dabanton

Im curious.

Biggest one for me is it plays nice with 1080p TV's

DirtyLarry

You are correct. Xbox One games (disc or digital) are the same thing as Xbox One X games. Also, any Xbox One accessories you have are 100% compatible with Xbox One X as well (the one exception possibly being the vertical stand for Xbox One S probably isn't compatible with Xbox One X but I'm not sure).
That's great news especially with the accessories as I have an Elite controller as well.
And also with the disks. I just preordered 4 games from Best Buy all $10 eligible, almost did 5 but figure I'd use the $40 in credit to put towards Far Cry 5 instead since it does not come out until February.

Ironically I only went with 1 XBOX title despite my initial question. I realized a decent amount of my friends are still on PS4 so still went with it despite the more horsepower advantage of the X. Stuck to PS4 for Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2. I did pick up COD for the X though. Historically speaking although the last 2 titles I have played on the PS4, and even though Sony has the marketing deal, I do think XBOX when I think COD. I also am one of those rare weirdos that plays COD more for the campaign which i am especially looking forward to since it is going back to WWII. Old habits I suppose.

If does on a decent pc? I thought they said they were planning on xbone X patches for their first party games to increase performance.

When is thing thing going up for preorder?

You can expect much more improvements to games when MS finishes working on the dev kits and developers start to get more time with them and there'll also be noticeable visual improvements for those playing on 1080p screens. I also think you are getting better value here compared to a $500 PC also pre orders go up once MS gets the approval from FCC.

Better hardware.
Better online platform.
4K Bluray.

You've gotta find an interesting game that actually runs only on or better on Xbox X to really be pushed though, gl with that.

If you own a 4K TV I think it's the better console, but I couldn't tell you what game you should be excited to play.

Better controller.

I would have preferred to play Battlefront with the X1 controller but I wanted the better graphics so I went PS4. That dilemma is over this fall.

My gamertag is Pizza so I feel like I have to own a Xbox now. I'll primarily miss From and Soulsborne type games like Nioh, but I can't justify owning both the Pro and X granted the limited amount of time I can devote to gaming these days. May just pick up a PS4 Slim at a discount whenever more games like that are out.

Can't resist the X. Will definitely buy it day one.

jeffram

My gamertag is Pizza so I feel like I have to own a Xbox now. I'll primarily miss From and Soulsborne type games like Nioh. May just pick up a PS4 Slim at a discount whenever more games like that are out.
Think I might trade my UHD player for a one x depending on its performance.

Reviews of the s weren't great so I ended up getting a standalone player instead. I WISH that the 2nd HDMI could double as audio out to have more parity with the standalone players.

I think Microsoft would be more than happy with 10% of the market at that price point. It will drop over time and get more accessible as it was always meant to do.

Think I might trade my UHD player for a one x depending on its performance.

Reviews of the s weren't great so I ended up getting a standalone player instead. I WISH that the 2nd HDMI could double as audio out to have more parity with the standalone players.

I really haven't had any issues, but I may just not be sensitive to them. I know others have reported stuttering though.

Astral Dog

Im curious.

The CPU it has a new jag-
No
Exclusive games coming nope
Everyone is going to take advantage of ...naw
You can play the new God of War/SpiderMan on the One if Sony bankrupts?
True 4K resolution Yes!

xabbott

There are a lot of folks now in their 30s who have been gaming for a couple decades and keeping up with PC because they can afford to and want the performance but don't necessarily use a PC for anything much outside of gaming. If MS can offer them mid-high tier equivalent performance at $499 in a small, quiet console, I think they'll find at least some percentage of people who are willing to jump ship from their PCs to a 4k TV + Xbox One X.

That's me. I did get a pro too but I'm on Xbox more and I don't like how Sony has done super sampling and unpatched games on pro.

Ushay

Wolfenstein II

Yeah, would have been nice had it been 399 but it's a good buy at 499 too.

What did steam boxes sell for? What was their capabilities compared to the 1X?

Looking back I have Witcher 3 DLC and the Fallout 4 DLC to complete.

For upcoming there are a ton if quality games coming. Personalty I will get Xcom2, AC Origins and Crackdown.

The CPU it has a new jag-
No
Exclusive games coming nope
Everyone is going to take advantage of ...naw
You can play the new God of War/SpiderMan on the One if Sony bankrupts?
True 4K resolution Yes!

Nice shitposting. Would read again 9/10

Grinchy

Banned
True, but maybe they're trying the Apple model in the console space. Low marketshare + high profts. Focus on that highly profitable 10% who want the latest and greatest. They could have only 25% market share overall while raking in 60%+ of the industry's profits.

I just hope it does really well. The more people who own an X and a Pro, the more developers will bother with making optimized X and Pro patches.

And I hope to see X versions take advantage of the hardware even if that makes them superior to Pro versions. I just don't know if that will be a reality until the X sells well enough.

Alx

Looks like we'll be getting a dashboard update and some idea on how the new Avatars will fit in, possibly aligning with the Creators update for W10.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/875200698736050176

Nice. One of the most disappointing thing on this year's E3 is the lack of communication on new features for the Xbox dashboard (except for the new avatars, which are great).
I hope we'll see and get interesting features soon enough (PIP please ?).

cucuchu

What does everyone think the ratio will be of X1X vs X1S sold this holiday?

Looking at PS4 Slim ($300) vs PS4 Pro ($400) over last holiday, 1/5 sold were the premium version. $100 price difference, but I remember there were quite a bit of deals going with the PS4 slim with discounts and pack-in games. Not quite the case with the Pro, though I do remember there being a rare deal here or there, such as the PS4 Pro with purchase of a 4k TV from Best Buy.

WIth X1S ($250) vs X1X ($500), the price difference will be even larger. It does seem that there a bit more hype for the X1X than the Pro though, but I feel like that price difference will become pretty significant for the general public and non-enthusiasts. I'm confident Microsoft will run promotions with the X1S too. With the X1X, all we know is they are going to offer different editions.

I feel like its going to do similar to the Pro. I think the enthusiasm will off-set the price difference initially because idiots like me will buy it right away without hesitation and without any promotions once preorders become available, but once that initial wave is over I could see that $500 price point vs a $250 X1S likely with pack-ins putting off most people just looking to play current generation games.

gamz

Nice. One of the most disappointing thing on this year's E3 is the lack of communication on new features for the Xbox dashboard (except for the new avatars, which are great).
I hope we'll see and get interesting features soon enough (PIP please ?).

Agreed, but E3 isn't the place to discuss dashboard updates. That usually comes fast and furious throughout the year.

H3xum

Have there been any mentions of a trade up program? I thought Phil said there is definitely going to be one in place

gamz

What does everyone think the ratio will be of X1X vs X1S sold this holiday?

Looking at PS4 Slim ($300) vs PS4 Pro ($400) over last holiday, 1/5 sold were the premium version. $100 price difference, but I remember there were quite a bit of deals going with the PS4 slim with discounts and pack-in games. Not quite the case with the Pro, though I do remember there being a rare deal here or there, such as the PS4 Pro with purchase of a 4k TV from Best Buy.

WIth X1S ($250) vs X1X ($500), the price difference will be even larger. It does seem that there a bit more hype for the X1X than the Pro though, but I feel like that price difference will become pretty significant for the general public and non-enthusiasts. I'm confident Microsoft will run promotions with the X1S too. With the X1X, all we know is they are going to offer different editions.

I feel like its going to do similar to the Pro. I think the enthusiasm will off-set the price difference initially because idiots like me will buy it right away without hesitation and without any promotions once preorders become available, but once that initial wave is over I could see that $500 price point vs a $250 X1S likely with pack-ins putting off most people just looking to play current generation games.

I know you guys think I'm nuts but X will outsell S this Holiday (if supplies are available). I think people underestimate the demand from their core alone. Going forward after the holidays is S.

Frostman

I know you guys think I'm nuts but X will outsell S this Holiday (if supplies are available). I think people underestimate the demand from their core alone. Going forward after the holidays is S.

This isn't happening. Not with the way MS will price the S.

I don't think the X will be hard to get this fall, it's aiming for a niche audience. Supply dependant of course.

Looking on the flipside though, I also wouldn't be surprised if MS produced limited supplies of the X just because of cost and estimated lower sales. In turn making them harder to get.

The reality is, you're going to be able to buy BOTH a Ps4 slim and XB1S for the price of a XB1X. There may even be some $199 doorbuster this holiday. For me, that's a tough sale even if I had a 4k Tv and was in the market for new consoles.

I really see no way this happens, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Sony

Nintendo
Better hardware.
Better online platform.
4K Bluray.

Even if you don't own a 4K TV, I think Xbox One X applies system side 1080p supersampling if a game outpunts in 4K.

cucuchu

I kind of hope you are right so we see a lot of optimization for the X1X. They better be producing a lot of them and hopefully we do not end up with an elite controller situation where people were having a tough time finding one months after release.

Its going to be a crazy holiday, that is for sure. People will still be in a frenzy for the Nintendo Switch, new Xbox one plus whatever deals they have going for the X1S, and whatever craziness Sony has planned to counter Microsoft and Nintendo. If they drop the Pro pice down to $350 w/ a game, and the slim down to $250 with pack-ins, its going to be quite a fight I think. Regardless it should be a great holiday season for console sales in general.

and yes, Microsoft, hurry and get this thing up for preorder!!

gamz

I kind of hope you are right so we see a lot of optimization for the X1X. They better be producing a lot of them and hopefully we do not end up with an elite controller situation where people were having a tough time finding one months after release.

Its going to be a crazy holiday, that is for sure. People will still be in a frenzy for the Nintendo Switch, new Xbox one plus whatever deals they have going for the X1S, and whatever craziness Sony has planned to counter Microsoft and Nintendo. If they drop the Pro pice down to $350 w/ a game, and the slim down to $250 with pack-ins, its going to be quite a fight I think. Regardless it should be a great holiday season for console sales in general.

and yes, Microsoft, hurry and get this thing up for preorder!!

Amen brother. Speaking of the Elite I'm shocked they haven't announced a ver 2 yet?

Alx

How many elite controllers did MS sell in the end ? Maybe it could give a rough idea of the market size of people interested in quality but expensive hardware.

You can also sell your PS4 and S and buy a X. The reality is everyone has different wants and needs.

I'm not sure what your comment has to do with what I said. I wasn't referring to people who already have a vanilla Ps4 and Xbox1. I'm referring to people who may be in the market for one or both consoles, and see a $250 ps4, a $250 Xbox One slim, and a $500 XB1X next to each other. What you're saying is all well and true, but isn't relevant to the point I was making. If you want to talk about people who are willing to sell both their OG Ps4 and XB1, and effectively losing access to one ecosystem, for the opportunity to own a more powerful version of a console whose ecosystem they can already access....well that's a different discussion.

But back on the topic of the reality, I find your scenario that the X will outsell the slim extremely unlikely.

Top Bottom