• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 (PC/Mac/Linux, Firaxis, November 2015) announced [Up: New info/screens in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent watched videos so im not sure, is the cinematic camera angle indicating a kill still in? I know some people hate this (because it ruins the surprise if its a hit or not?) But I loved it, especially with snipers.
Glam cam's still in, is still probably toggleable like in EU.

I havent watched videos so im not sure, is the cinematic camera angle indicating a kill still in? I know some people hate this (because it ruins the surprise if its a hit or not?) But I loved it, especially with snipers.

Cinematic camera angle is back but doesn't always indicate a kill.

Does this game have any variation of the old DOS X-Com geoscape music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IeNqYcQp8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSl8Gi22lm4

I don't think so, but you could probably mod it in pretty easily.

Nope. It triggers randomly now, not just with kill shots/hits.

Miker

Jake said they wanted to continue to produce content after the Reinforcement Pack things are done, but didn't commit to anything. Also said not to think of it as a replacement for an expansion. Personally I just preordered the edition that comes with it because Firaxis is one of the few devs I trust to make great additional content and I don't mind giving money to.

I don't disagree, I just wish I knew how exactly how much paid DLC is planned so I can make my decisions accordingly. That said, I know it's impossible for Firaxis to detail exactly what they're doing post-release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't disagree, I just wish I knew how exactly how much paid DLC is planned so I can make my decisions accordingly. That said, I know it's impossible for Firaxis to detail exactly what they're doing post-release.

There's already a season pass on steam (which comes wuth the deluxe version) for $20 so you can tell exactly what dlc is coming.

Unless you mean beyond that

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm really curious how much the community is going to respect paying for DLC, or how Firaxis are even going to enforce, when mod tools are readily available. Lots of trust being shown by Firaxis here.

Then again Civ5 was in the same situation and it worked out.

I'm really curious how much the community is going to respect paying for DLC, or how Firaxis are even going to enforce, when mod tools are readily available. Lots of trust being shown by Firaxis here.

Yea they are pretty much going all in but I still think they can create enough value otherwise impossible or at least difficult for the modders to create. Still the benefit of modding on the base game copies sold is more important than a few DLC's I guess.

Anno

I'll be interested to see if the mod scene might even influence a possible expansion or additional DLC. Solomon seems like the kind of guy that might want to codify some of the best mod ideas out there. Might be we'll see additional partnerships like what they did with LWS for the day 1 mods.

Yea they are pretty much going all in but I still think they can create enough value otherwise impossible or at least difficult for the modders to create.
Yeah, Firaxis's main strength is that they have access to professional voice actors, plus they know where they want to take the lore, so they can do things with DLC/expansions that modders can't necessarily reproduce.

For example, take a look at the second link:
XCOM 2 mod request form from Reddit (IIRC):
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zIT...requested=true

Requested XCOM 2 mods (note: the names and descriptions are on two separate lists in different orders):
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zIT...p=form_confirm
There's plenty of mods that wouldn't need Bradford, Shen, and Tygan's voices, but there's a few like the Stargate crossover thing that would definitely benefit, because the characters would comment on that sort of stuff. Instead, you'll just get text, which is pretty awkward and kills the atmosphere.

Of course, Firaxis probably can't help out modders with stuff like that, because that probably runs into tons of legal BS.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watching a total biscuit video on the preview build, and holy shit at the customization options this time around. Im going to spend a ton of time on each soldier, you have no idea. I actually can't play Enemy Unknown without the dlc packs for the extra armors and shit, my G.I.Joes need to all look unique damn it.

Im so stupidly hyped for this

I hope this gets a midnight unlock. I'm working all next weekend so a Thursday night to Friday morning session would be nice.
I sure hope 2K will give GMG codes preloading and midnight unlocking, considering that the review embargo might expire Monday. Aside from the terrible TV spot during the X-Files, all the marketing has exuded confidence in the game and it looks like it'll deliver, so they'd benefit from being super generous with stuff like that.

mbpm1

I sure hope 2K will give GMG codes preloading and midnight unlocking, considering that the review embargo might expire Monday. Aside from the terrible TV spot during the X-Files, all the marketing has exuded confidence in the game and it looks like it'll deliver, so they'd benefit from being super generous with stuff like that.

There was a TV spot during the X-files? How could they mess that up?

There was a TV spot during the X-files? How could they mess that up?
It was literally 18 seconds long, and consisted of the Council Spokesman saying some stuff over the skull alien face logo. It provided no context and only one cool visual, which wouldn't sell the game.

They should've reused the reveal trailer or the Resurgence trailer, since that at least shows off cool stuff and gives people an idea of what XCOM 2 is about.

mbpm1

It was literally 18 seconds long, and consisted of the Council Spokesman saying some stuff over the skull alien face logo. It provided no context and only one cool visual, which wouldn't sell the game.

They should've reused the reveal trailer or the Resurgence trailer, since that at least shows off cool stuff and gives people an idea of what XCOM 2 is about.

Man...sounds like they really missed their mark there

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Civ5 DLC was worthwhile and added a ton of new shit to play around with. I'm guessing that's the plan here too.

DLC and mod support aren't mutually exclusive.

yamo

Is it possible to buy the Digital Deluxe edition from GMG with the 20% off if you live in Sweden, or is there some region lock bullshit?

Ont

As much I like the mods, I rather have new content from the same people who created the game I love to play.

I will buy any XCOM 2 DLC as soon as it appears on Steam, no questions asked. That is how much I trust the delevopers of this game. :)

I've been trying to avoid all information and videos etc. But that most recent video about the mods, I may just have to finally dig in. I'm so Hyped for this game.

Falk

that puzzling face
As much I like the mods, I rather have new content from the same people who created the game I love to play.

No, I meant if modding tools are as robust as we're ideally looking at, it wouldn't be a stretch of imagination for determined people to port/convert/recreate DLC as a mod. Which superficially happened for some bits of Civ 5 DLC, but from what I understand the DLC sold well enough anyway. (Note I'm talking about the actual bite-sized DLC, not BNW/G&K expansions)

Owell, considering it's on PC and the people likely to skimp out on paying for DLC would likely just be assholes and skimp out on paying for the game itself, so whatever.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Today is the last day to get the 27 percent off at GMG? I think I'll wait until the summer sale. Firaxis lost some of my trust after Beyond Earth, and I still have some achievements to get in XCOM 1, which I never tire of. Still need to try Long War, too.

So, I think I'm fine for now (he says, trying to comfort himself).

Miker

Today is the last day to get the 27 percent off at GMG? I think I'll wait until the summer sale. Firaxis lost some of my trust after Beyond Earth, and I still have some achievements to get in XCOM 1, which I never tire of. Still need to try Long War, too.

So, I think I'm fine for now (he says, trying to comfort himself).

There's a 27% off code?

epmode

XCOM2 is a winner. There's not a doubt in my mind.

Even if it's not, the ridiculous mod tools ensure that someone, somewhere, will make it great.

Are there any plans to sell the guerrilla warfare pack or whatever as standalone DLC later on?

Wanna see how well it runs first before buying but don't wanna miss out on more customization options.

Are there any plans to sell the guerrilla warfare pack or whatever as standalone DLC later on?

Wanna see how well it runs first before buying but don't wanna miss out on more customization options.
Firaxis made the preorder dlc for XCOM EU buyable after some time so I don't see how this would be any different

Worst case I assume it'll be modded in. Guess you could always refund it should the game not run well enough.

Yeah except GMG is a key selling site so I'd have to wait for a Steam sale. And I'm sure Firaxis would try to prevent modding in paid content, right? What would stop people from modding in all the season pass stuff?

Anno

Yeah except GMG is a key selling site so I'd have to wait for a Steam sale. And I'm sure Firaxis would try to prevent modding in paid content, right? What would stop people from modding in all the season pass stuff?

I feel like it happened with some of the Civ 5 DLC?

Instead of giving a 27% discount, they should give a 27% chance to get the game for free just to be thematic.
haha, brilliant

I feel like it happened with some of the Civ 5 DLC?

Did it? I dunno I bought all the DLC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rUcLsWv.jpg

The hype for this kind of snuck up on me. XCOM EU was the game that introduced me to tactical strategy. I can't wait for the sequel.
Do we know when the review embargo lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom