• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

bjaelke

The Escapist - 9/10

Bottom Line: XCOM 2 improves on its predecessor in almost every way, and proudly stands as one of the most deeply satisfying action-strategy games currently available.

Recommendation: Whether you're new to the series or clamoring to dive back in, XCOM 2 is a complex and challenging game worthy of a day-one purchase.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Official Mods at launch day one is pretty wild.

Kudos to Fireaxis

The EGM rage against probability is the dumbest shit I've read all day. And my line of work kind of requires me to read dumb shit all day.

Mupod

Great reviews, no surprise there. I can't even think of another game in recent memory where the devs had such absolute confidence in showing it off long before release.

If anything they showed too much, I had some moments of weakness and saw things on streams I wish I hadn't. Like
Faceless

Teletraan1

Banned
Ahahahahahahaha that reviewer got screwed by the "oh 80% or higher it's a sure fire" line of thinking. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

I am usually very unlucky in this game series. I have missed 3 95+% shots in a row. I have also missed a 100% shot in the last game so I don't really hold these numbers at face value.

Gattsu25

Banned
For those wondering, XCOM 2 comes out this Friday

I view setting the review embargo this early as a sign of confidence in the product.

Hektor

Those reviews make me so damn happy.

A great turnbased strategy game
High Production Values
Extensive Modding Support

I so hope this game will sell even better than the first one.

TURNBASED STRATEGY IS BACK BIG TIME BABY

No_Style

I'm hoping the controller functionality comes sooner rather than later. I loved XCOM:EU with controller.

I'm also curious how the soundtrack is without Michael McCann.

Mupod

Ahahahahahahaha that reviewer got screwed by the "oh 80% or higher it's a sure fire" line of thinking. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

That's XCOM2 baby, by Jake "65%? Might as well be 100%" Solomon.

The best part is, from what I understand the game actually cheats somewhat in your favor on the lower difficulties on shots above a certain % to hit.

I'm hoping the controller functionality comes sooner rather than later. I loved XCOM:EU with controller.

I'm also curious how the soundtrack is without Michael McCann.

Definitely not expecting it to live up to EU's soundtrack without McCann, but I'm sure we can mod those tracks (and others) in. Already thinking I'll be using the MGS5/Peace Walker loadout theme for the squad deployment screen.

I once hit a 5% critical that save the mission. Never felt better.
(Well, I say "I" but you know what I mean)

Yep, it works both ways. Just hitting multiple 50% shots in a row feels good, since at those odds I'm already expecting a miss.

Anyway no need to pile on that review(er) that much. Seems like an outlier score anyway, not everyone's going to love the game.

Urthor

Who are the really strict "we're not IGN" reviewers these days, I haven't kept track of who's respectable and who sorta isn't for awhile.

Wall to wall love is prolly good though

mcz117chief

Yep, it works both ways. Just hitting multiple 50% shots in a row feels good, since at those odds I'm already expecting a miss.

Anyway no need to pile on that review(er) that much. Seems like an outlier score anyway, not everyone's going to love the game.

He obviously loved the game, he just doesn't like it when dice play the game and not you, I can sympathize with that.

The only pc game I have ever pre ordered other than civ v. And by those reviews I'm thinking I'm not going to be disappointed. Fingers crossed.

Hasney

That's XCOM2 baby, by Jake "65%? Might as well be 100%" Solomon.

The best part is, from what I understand the game actually cheats somewhat in your favor on the lower difficulties on shots above a certain % to hit.

Yeah, the devs were talking about it on GT Live over at Gametrailers. They say that from medium up (or whatever the skill names are, I forget) it does a 'real' roll, not a 'Fire Emblem' roll, the latter of which puts it massively in your favour when above 50%.

He obviously loved the game, he just doesn't like it when dice play the game and not you, I can sympathize with that.

And he is right, XCOM isn't for everyone so it depends who you aim your review at. At the general market? A lot of people will have a bad time. Plessas is good people.

xrnzaaas

Nice, but I'll wait a week or so with the purchase until it's confirmed that bugs aren't affecting the game in any major way.

Wow, they are confident in this one. Large representative demo out in the wild for streamers to do whatever they want with, and a review embargo up days in advance of launch.

This is great reading all round, will be ready on Thursday night for unlocking, supplies at the ready for a long gaming shift. This is easily my most wanted game having sunk in 510 hours on the first game, I am very excited indeed reading these reviews.

Hopeford

I am usually very unlucky in this game series. I have missed 3 95+% shots in a row. I have also missed a 100% shot in the last game so I don't really hold these numbers at face value.

People have dissected the game code as well as run lots of tests to see if it works. Plus there are mods to show both the percentage and what you rolled against that percentage, the numbers are completely legit.

The 100% glitch is because for some ungodly reason the chances are calculated in floats but displayed as rounded ints, so 100% is actually often something like 99.99 or something. So if it makes you feel better, a 100% shot in XCOM1 is actually still liable to miss.

(It is absolutely bullshit how they rounded percentage chances though haha)

Geist-

Makes me wish one of the reviewers would just leak the game already. I already bought it dammit! :p

I love that they really utlized the extra income from XCom EU to improve the graphics and voice actors. The game looks great and every voice sounds awesome.

Begaria

*rubs hands* Excellent. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to XCom 2 until the summer at the very least with my backlog and work ramping up.

lip_licker.gif

Can't wait until Friday. XCOM: Enemy Unknown was one of my favorite games from last gen.

Top Bottom