• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

Won't happen, they got burned last time and this game is built around the PC.

It's 2016, steam has recently become the second home for Vita games. Anything is possible.

That being said I'm glad my laptop would run this like shit because I have WAY too much going on right now to get sucked into this like I did Enemy Unknown. God it looks good though, glad to see the high reviews rolling in.

Crackbone

The EGM rage against probability is the dumbest shit I've read all day. And my line of work kind of requires me to read dumb shit all day.

It is dumb but it's also kind of amusing at the same time.

I've been playing this series since its inception and I've learned early on if you have a 80% chance, chances are you're gonna fail. It's just one of those things you learn in time. However you can just feel the frustration in that review and that's one of the best parts of xcom.

Shit happens.

And he is right, XCOM isn't for everyone so it depends who you aim your review at. At the general market? A lot of people will have a bad time. Plessas is good people.

Yeah he brings that up in the actual review quite well:
My issue is that that one miss can quickly snowball into your otherwise sound team being demolished, which in turn can snowball into serious issues for the overall campaign, often in ways that are just too difficult to recover from. This is not a direct criticism of the game itself, but it is something new players should be aware of before they put a huge time commitment into something that can blow up in their face with a luck of the draw.
The line about missing a 95% shot is probably somewhat lighthearted.

LordAmused

Would you guys play the first one before Xcom 2 as a new player in the series?

I've played some turn-based games over the last few months, but haven't touched the Xcom Series yet.

Fuck, frequent glitches? It better not be as bad as the first game. There was a series of glitches that got my best squadmates killed like 15-20 hours into my campaign that made me never touch the game again.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Anyway no need to pile on that review(er) that much. Seems like an outlier score anyway, not everyone's going to love the game.

I feel like this was meant as joke to begin with. I mean, I already know that I will scream in anger if I miss a 95% shot.

Rektash

Timed missions will make me like this less than its predecessor. Too bad.

Will probably still be an enjoyable game though.

mcz117chief

I've played some turn-based games over the last few months, but haven't touched the Xcom Series yet.

Sure, but it is quite old, I would suggest the second one, Terror from the Deep. I enjoyed that one more than Enemy Unknown.

edit: do you mean the first one as in the first one or the first one in the reboot series? Well either way, both are good.

Catvoca

Banned
I hate when people take one line out of a review, devoid of context, and then spend ages complaining about the review and saying it's terrible. That EGM review is perfectly fine, and the line about probability is obviously not saying "How can i possible miss a 95% shot". There's a good, bad, and ugly section in the review, and the ugly part is clearly just meant to be a little joke. Like on their review of bombshell the ugly is "It’s 2016 and there is a button you can click to zoom in on the character’s face, bust, or thigh-gap." It's not meant to be some serous critique.

It's an amazing game, but will be obsolete in a matter of days. There was a 2k sale on Steam this weekend, not sure if it's still going on but if so, XCOM EU might be discounted pretty significantly, I think its usually under $10 during sales.

Absolutely, can't recommend Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within Enough and you can get them for 10$ or less, few days ago it was $1 dollar on a bundle.

So i've never done a steam preorder, at what time is the game unlocked? (NA time)

Mupod

yeah if that bundle's still on then go for it. Great way to get warmed up for 2, even if you don't finish the game. Hell, if you lose in the first month I guess that's canon now.

$80 fucking CAD.

Fuck that.

I believe there's a 27% off code on greenman. I got one in my email, can't access it here but I don't think they are unique. Still have to deal with the exchange rate but it should work out to the normal price of a game.

Soi-Fong

Dang, so lucky I got the deluxe edition of this for 25% off at GMG! Ended up even being cheaper than just the game itself with no discount. Lol

Shepard

Firaxis has to be the most consistently good PC developer out there. The only iffy game they put recently was Sid Meyers starships, and that was a mobile game.

I hate when people take one line out of a review, devoid of context, and then spend ages complaining about the review and saying it's terrible. That EGM review is perfectly fine, and the line about probability is obviously not saying "How can i possible miss a 95% shot". There's a good, bad, and ugly section in the review, and the ugly part is clearly just meant to be a little joke. Like on their review of bombshell the ugly is "It’s 2016 and there is a button you can click to zoom in on the character’s face, bust, or thigh-gap." It's not meant to be some serous critique.
Eh, I'm pretty sure the Bombshell example is something the reviewer actually found gross.

Weetrick

So looking forward to playing this. Too bad I have a business trip this weekend and most of next week :(

But good lord, 2016 is on fire already. What a year this could be.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fucking loved the last one, can't wait to get stuck in.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm really hyped for this game but can't justify the cost right now. :( I guess I'll hope for a summer sale or something.

Hell, if you lose in the first month I guess that's canon now.
Clearly the original XCOM team didn't build enough satellites. :p

Top Bottom