• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X "Direct" on Feb. 6 [info in OP]

I honestly believe than anyone who considers this map small has a perception problem.
Watch again the zoom out sequence. Here are some screenshots from that:

Edit: on top of this there are multiple vertical layers, some of them probably reachable only in mechs.

I think that what people mean when they say that the map is not "big" is that there's not enough variety like the first game. Since when you look at the top down view of the map everything looks like the same within the same area (One has only lava, the other has only grass, etc.)

Which is also something I'll have to disagree, because like at the third picture you posted, you can see different kinds of terrain in the same place. It's just not something we can really see much considering how zoomed out those maps are.

Fcd3B0s.jpg

scale is good to understand and this helps

yet even this scale would still make Mira a smaller planet than Earth considering how many of those ships took off

still none of us would want to play an Earth sized map it would take years to get anything done so those saying Mira is small are strange to me because a bigger map does not make the game better if the scale becomes too close to real world sizes

at the speed the Doll flies it would take hours to reach a location if you had Earth size areas or even California sized map

even for a game this is huge already

a world taking 12 hours to fly across is not going to make a fun game that would only appeal to SIM-lovers

weekev

Banned
Firstly the map is not small, secondly 200 hours of gameplay. There is more than enough content in this game. The only issue I have is finding enough time to play it.

Greenzxy

Firstly the map is not small, secondly 200 hours of gameplay. There is more than enough content in this game. The only issue I have is finding enough time to play it.

Because it's not the size that matters anyway, it's how you content.

Oh man, I've been watching the trailers again.

The game looks so glorious, but maaan, those faces are ugly. I mean, I understand that the graphics aren't the best, but having to play this while looking at those faces and listening to Sawano music will really take away from the experience (I wonder why they didn't bring back the same composer from Xenoblade). Oh well, at least I hope the "open-worldness" of the game doesn't take away from the story, because with a 720p game and such a downgraded version of the map I at least expect good story and characters.

But the game looks great!

Oh man, I've been watching the trailers again.

The game looks so glorious, but maaan, those faces are ugly. I mean, I understand that the graphics aren't the best, but having to play this while looking at those faces and listening to Sawano music will really take away from the experience (I wonder why they didn't bring back the same composer from Xenoblade). Oh well, at least I hope the "open-worldness" of the game doesn't take away from the story, because with a 720p game and such a downgraded version of the map I at least expect good story and characters.

But the game looks great!
what

chadboban

I honestly believe than anyone who considers this map small has a perception problem.

Edit: on top of this there are multiple vertical layers, some of them probably reachable only in mechs.

Yep, the map is gigantic. and just so folks can see it a little better. The third pic of yours is highlighted in red here.

vlcsnap-2015-02-06-20tsan6.png

norm9

Didn't read through the whole thread but do you have to play the first Xenoblade to get what's going on in this one?

I generally avoid gamestop if I can so would rather not pay full price for a used copy from them.

Didn't read through the whole thread but do you have to play the first Xenoblade to get what's going on in this one?

I generally avoid gamestop if I can so would rather not pay full price for a used copy from them.

No, you don't. XCX is a completely different game.

But you should because the game is amazing.

TriBlade

As far as we know these games are not related to each other, similar to the Final Fantasy games in term of connections.

random25

Nope. They're not story-wise connected. But do play Xenoblade if you the chance as gameplay-wise they share some concepts and mechanics.

Man this game is so graphically ugly! I remember when the first trailer released I was really impressed, but whew has it gone downhill, and that city environment....oh my goodness.

But I have to say, the more I hear about the game, the more appealing it sounds to me. It's almost a definite purchase.

its always been ugly. I remember people saying the game proved the wiiu is more powerful then lastgen. red dead redemption and Gtav on 360/PS3 look nextgen graphically compared to this.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah there are plenty of areas in Xenoblade that a never visited, partially due to how slow running is. XCX seems to fix this with sprinting, faster jumping, and mechs.
Kinda excited to see the speedruns for X now.

Also just remember that intro video of the game, that epic battle in space between two alien species and humans in between of them. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to visit either other planets (or at least areas), or end up invading these giant spaceships. Perhaps even space travel and stuff. Just like how Xenoblade 1 had 'unadvertised' areas that were pretty giant.

its always been ugly. I remember people saying the game proved the wiiu is more powerful then lastgen. red dead redemption and Gtav on 360/PS3 look nextgen graphically compared to this.

People praise the artstyle more than anything. That is far from comparable to RDD. The variety in landscape and atmosphere is incomparable. But, oh, you're just trying to pull the spec card again.

RagnarokX

the most jaw dropping thing I got from GameXplain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJl5JONHf0&spfreload=10

just disappointed in Derrick Bitner for this one, he has a scale perception issue lol

Heh, yeah. He was playing as the Great Fairy in Hyrule Warriors and he was complaining that she was the slowest character in the game when in reality she only felt slow because she was going the same speed as everyone else but was massively bigger.

What's funny is this map is pretty huge and, at least here on GAF, Zelda Wii U has the opposite problem where people think that game's map is going to be much larger than it actually is, heh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Do you realize than in the absurdity of your Wii U obsession in over 1680 post in this thread you are almost the only one talking about the comparison between Wii U and PS360? Or the comparison between this game and other games in terms of graphics?

People have moved on. Almost everyone knows what to expect from a Wii U game (check the rest of the comments in the 720p thread, I know that you like to quote just that one agreeing with you) and people have learned to enjoy the beauty in whatever technical form it comes.

Yep, the map is gigantic. and just so folks can see it a little better. The third pic of yours is highlighted in red here.

vlcsnap-2015-02-06-20tsan6.png

Thanks for the scale comparisons. I also highlighted the same area on the world map.

iYEvk47DpNlhj.png

Heh, yeah. He was playing as the Great Fairy in Hyrule Warriors and he was complaining that she was the slowest character in the game when in reality she only felt slow because she was going the same speed as everyone else but was massively bigger.

What's funny is this map is pretty huge and, at least here on GAF, Zelda Wii U has the opposite problem where people think that game's map is going to be much larger than it actually is, heh.

lol yeah

and I fully expect Zelda U to be at least the same size as the first area where NLA is but not much bigger but I still think it might fall short of that the scale of how far XCX map is zoomed out is massive

Tratorn

The size is not the problem imo, only the variety. If there're indeed only 5 different terrains, it would be a bit disappointing for me. Especially since they already showed all of them.

I hope the areas are smaller than they look like and we still get some unnannounced, new ones instead.

69wpm

Guys, GUYS!! Someone did a full english translation of the presentation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNzxuly294

Be sure to have captions and annotations on. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I've skipped through and it really does seem like it's been entirely translated.

I think it should be put in the OP.

Good find. I downloaded the subtitle, muxed it with the video and uploaded it on multiple sites. Download it here and play it on your tv - enjoy.

Btw: Click on download your file at the bottom.

I think people think the game world looks small since Neo LA takes up a pretty big chunk of the game's map....but Neo LA is pretty massive in itself.
Either way, unless the devs were flat out lying, It's 5x bigger than Xenoblade which itself was not a small game by any stretch of the imagination.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That hopper camera will have a great potential for gorgeous screenshots, similar with the camera in Pikmin 3.

Edit: quoting this treasure for the new page:

Guys, GUYS!! Someone did a full english translation of the presentation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNzxuly294

Be sure to have captions and annotations on. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I've skipped through and it really does seem like it's been entirely translated.

I think it should be put in the OP.

Top Bottom