• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xing Interactive: Our sources say next Xbox will block used games, require online

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is... a slightly less usual source, but probably one of the more public statements from someone actually directly related to games.

NowGamer said:

The latest suggestion that the Xbox 720 will require an internet connection to play and will not play second hand games comes from David Connolly, managing director at Xing Interactive.

We spoke to Connolly about the the decline of physical retail, and asked how next-gen could affect this already problematic market.

"We hear different things from the two big players," Connolly told us in an interview. "Sony are actively asking for more retailers “past, present and new” to help them support their next PS launch."

Connolly suggests that Sony is being far more open with its approach to the PS4 than Microsoft, who is not looking to accept a wider retailer market if at all possible.

"I have spoken to sources close to Microsoft on the other hand who insist that the next Xbox will not be compatible with second hand, will require permanently on connection, and 'you’ll have to go through Microsoft to do anything'."

Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1897054/next_xbox_will_not_be_compatible_with_second_hand.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't believe those rumors. They are TOO stupid, imho.
I perfectly understand the commercial/business reasoning behind those "strategies" but I'm sure that the market TODAY is not ready.
Think about the PS2 being ONLY digital for example, and will understand my position.

Patryn

I'm surely not the first to think this, but I wonder if the rumors are true... but only for the subsidized version of the Durango. I can see these draconian measures being the price you pay for the cheaper box.

I perfectly understand the commercial/business reasoning behind those "strategies" but I'm sure that the market TODAY is not ready.
Think about the PS2 being ONLY digital for example, and will understand my position.

This is not 2000. Someone is silly enough to try this.

Yes because comparing a digital only console from 2000 is comparable to a digital only console in 2013. Also this has nothing to do with digital only as the nextbox will allow for discs they'll just be locked to your console.

BY2K

Membero Americo
For God's sake, which is it? Each day it's a new rumour saying the opposite of the one the day before.

I'm getting sick of this.

Everyday a new source with the same info and it's harder to ignore.
We know MS doesn't comment on rumors but if it's not true getting ahead of it would be a good idea.

How the hell to they announce this as any kind of positive once it's official.

It would be great for consumers to reject this and finally make executives that want this kind of future think twice about it.... but it will still sell like crazy. fuck, even if it bombs, they will tell us 'consumers have spoken and validated this business structure'

Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif

Source=Sony PR

it would be a futile effort for nothing...why go through all the trouble of spreading false rumors about services, when they will be shot down within a month? Why is Microsoft being so silent and letting Sony spread these rumors? Doesn't make any sense to me :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Ohh, c'mon! It so OBVIOUS that a similar (tech wise and software wise) console to the PS4, with all these limits will be an economical disaster, even in the US (I can't even imagine how bad it could perform in EU and JP)

ascii42

I guess people really want this to happen, because they can't stop bringing it up.

I'm just fascinated by the idea of it actually happening. I don't want it to happen, of course, because I'm sure I'll want some games on the system, and I don't want this to affect me getting them down the road.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess people really want this to happen, because they can't stop bringing it up.
By bringing it up before it's announced and seeing how many people are pissed off by it could convince Microsoft to remove the feature if it is indeed in.

Ohh, c'mon! It so OBVIOUS that a similar (tech wise and software wise) console to the PS4, with all these limits will be an economical disaster, even in the US (I can't even imagine how bad it could perform in EU and JP)

To you? Sure.

To Microsoft? Who knows? They want in as a cable box, possibly. Those are ubiquitous. Like someone said, maybe the subsidized version is like this, because it's a cable box. Which is always connected.

Why are you happy about this?
I just wanted to post a .gif that didn't make sense with the situation.

The proper .gif true of my actual reaction would be the one of the cowboy laughing into the sky.

That PS4 is looking mighty good right about now, isn't it?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's simple. No second hand. No buy from me.

shandy706

If your source is the Internet, of course this is one of the rumors.

There are so many rumors....it's best we all just wait for the darn reveal.

Yep. With PC having a no used games /widespread DRM with large amounts of acceptance, and folks like Apple raking in billions using walled gardens / everything though us design, and stuff like windows RT out there, it's not beyond possibility they woudl try this with the xbox.

It will have to have some sort of secret sauce to make it palatable, such as lower MSRP on games, exclusives out the wazoo, etc.

Since Sony already confirmed that the PS4 can be played offline, the only way I see MS doing this is if some third party devs have promised them some exclusives if they bit this bullet. It's just way too much of a risk if they don't have incentive from some third party devs.

Truth is, this doesn't bother me personally, because I don't need second hand and I'm always online.

Still a horrible business move.

Third gen curse! It's happening!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's simple. No second hand. No buy from me.

There is absolutely zero reason to want one anyways so to say even if it's not always online doesn't get it out of the woods.

But there are some that are so stubborn that they want a new Xbox right at this moment even more than a PS4. A platform which we have info and games announced for as well as a snowball of mostly positive news.

At least show the platform first. Some are just ready to burst at the seams.

To the point though, both these features can't co-exist and guarantee a sale from me. That's for sure.

"I have spoken to sources close to Microsoft on the other hand who insist that the next Xbox will not be compatible with second hand, will require permanently on connection, and 'you’ll have to go through Microsoft to do anything'."

If this is true the only thing I can think is Yamauchi secretly took over MS and has decided that only losers without jobs living in their mother's basement want to buy used games and don't have great internet. That and of course 3rd parties are perfectly free to put their games on any console, so long as it is the 720.

Yep. With PC having a no used games /widespread DRM with large amounts of acceptance, and folks like Apple raking in billions using walled gardens / everything though us design, and stuff like windows RT out there, it's not beyond possibility they woudl try this with the xbox.

It will have to have some sort of secret sauce to make it palatable, such as lower MSRP on games, exclusives out the wazoo, etc.

Eh, it works for that I'd say because you can easily find more games than you will ever have time to play on PC/smartphones at or below used game prices.

Since Sony already confirmed that the PS4 can be played offline, the only way I see MS doing this is if some third party devs have promised them some exclusives if they bit this bullet. It's just way too much of a risk if they don't have incentive from some third party devs.

I am guessing EA and Activision right? I have a feeling both BF4 and CoD will be exclusive to Durango (excluding the PS360 versions)

Carl

Starting to think there are too many rumours for this to possible be untrue. Still hoping it's bollocks though.

Dabanton

How the hell do these 'sources' never have anything new to say to these guys?

Sounds like someone wanted to pep up his interview and maximize potential clicks. Also the full quote is a lot more enlightening.

We hear different things from the two big players. Sony are actively asking for more retailers “past, present and new” to help them support their next PS launch. I have spoken to sources close to Microsoft on the other hand who insist that the next Xbox will not be compatible with second hand, will require permanently on connection, and “you’ll have to go through Microsoft to do anything”. So that would not be good news! Maybe another reason to support PC publishers can I say?!

I am guessing EA and Activision right? I have a feeling both BF4 and CoD will be exclusive to Durango (excluding the PS360 versions)

perhaps. Gerstmann did say that he thinks some third party devs will be taking sides based on reasons that he didn't necessarily agree with. Moneyhats have always been part of the industry, so I doubt that would be something that he didn't agree with.

perhaps. Gerstmann did say that he thinks some third party devs will be taking sides based on reasons that he didn't necessarily agree with. Moneyhats have always been part of the industry, so I doubt that would be something that he didn't agree with.

yea I agree with you. Sounds really interesting!

Top Bottom