• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xing Interactive: Our sources say next Xbox will block used games, require online

ksdixon

this is exactley what worries me. always online and blocking used games is supposedly being driven by pubs and devs. that ms are making those mandatory suggests pubs in their back pocket/backing them. with the rumors of ea announcing an official partnership with ms at the upcoming xbox event... how many casual/frat gamers are just going to follow madden and battlefeild to xbox infinity? or the timed exclusive dlc cod maps etc. i fear ms has a reason to feel they can get away witb this.

ksdixon

In the case of Battlefield 4, it's because EA's CFO already mentioned it in conjunction with PS4 during their conference call with investors. Obviously, he's not under the same NDA that DICE is.

As far as Activision is concerned, they've never even supported online passes in the majority of their games. None of the Call of Duty games have an online pass. I'm not sure why they get thrown in with Ubisoft in this regard.
activision bobby said if he cud hed make cod multiplayer its own subscription service, or that they shud get a larger cut of xblive gold profits considering how much cod multiplayer pushes it.

apana

Microsoft have hardly proven themselves to be juggernauts in the gaming business, don't know why they are following such a risky route. I have not been paying attention to gaming news for a while, I assume Sony is not going to do this.

EvB

Nah, they will sell less because their install base will be smaller.

Even if their install base was lower, their attach rate would be bigger and I'm sure they have would of run the numbers to make sure they still win out.

What's the point in having a huge install base of consoles if a huge percentage of users buy nothing but preowned or use their hardware for piracy?

EvB

Microsoft have hardly proven themselves to be juggernauts in the gaming business, don't know why they are following such a risky route. I have not been paying attention to gaming news for a while, I assume Sony is not going to do this.

Who is a juggernaut then?

imjust1n

Banned
But didn't gamestop support Microsoft in saying that the next xbox is awesome if it didn't support used games that's gamestops way of making money.

Top Bottom