• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED registers domains: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Xanadu Next, Trails of Cold Steel

Gu4n

Are we sure that Trails of Cold Steel is Sen No Kiseki? Wasn't that called Trails in the Flash? In any case i liked the demo so i would be happy if localized.
Well, there's nothing in Zero, Ao and Nayuta that could be associated with cold steel while Sen's battle track is actually named A Glint of Cold Steel on the Japanese soundtrack. Put those together, and it's safe to assume this refers to Sen.

Trails in the Flash is Siliconera's rather literal translation of Sen no Kiseki.

cj_iwakura

Well, there's nothing in Zero, Ao and Nayuta that could be associated with cold steel while Sen's battle track is actually named A Glint of Cold Steel on the Japanese soundtrack. Put those together, and it's safe to assume this refers to Sen.

Trails in the Flash is Siliconera's rather literal translation of Sen no Kiseki.

That's probably why they haven't reported on this yet, since it'll highlight how stupid their title is.

Trails of Cold Steel sounds badass.

Slashlen

Really happy to see another Trails game. I guess it means great things when they're continuing with it before we even saw SC's release.

18-Volt

Wow at XSEED Vita love. And people were saying we could get Sen no Kiseki games in 2028 or 2035. People waiting for TC/Ao/Zero games will have to wait a little longer, I guess.

Hopefully XSEED has something for 3DS in 2015 too. Forbidden Waifu, Legend of Legacy and of course Senran Kagura 2 for starters. And other Marvelous stuff like that crazy rhythm game: Bakumatsu Rock.

What ever happened to the PC ports of the Corpse Party games?

I believe Sara's been having issues getting this one together, so that's why it's late. Also it's only a PC port of the first Corpse Party (or rather, the PSP Corpse Party was an update of the PC version). Book of Shadows and Blood Drive have no PC versions, so I don't expect to see them on PC.

I'm personally way more interested in the Crossbell games for Trails beyond SC, since I've heard so much good stuff about Ao no Kiseki (considered to be the best of them along with TitS SC). The Sen games look a little too...conventional for my taste.

Still, it is Trails, and it is Falcom and it is Xseed. I don't have a Vita, but when the time comes between this and Corpse Party Blood Drive (and all the other ones I've missed so far), I'll probably pick one up.

Blue-kun

I always thought I'd be displeased with XSEED moving on to Sen and potentially ignoring Zero and Ao, but now that it seems like it might actually happen and I had to give it some real thought, maybe it won't be so bad.

With SC possibly being released this year and assuming they're seriously aiming to have Kiseki/Trails become a 'popular' series for JRPGs in the west, jumping to Sen right now seems like their 'best' choice.

If Sen is successful and they can get Sen 2 out not too long after, that'd probably mean that any games released in the future could come our way, as well. Of course, that's not going to 'solve the issue' of not having Zero and Ao, but there are other ways to at least explain major plot points out to players, if they so wish, even if it's some sort of video or whatever -- think Xenosaga.

Surely, some people might not be ok with that, but since I don't see Falcom wrapping up Kiseki any time soon, chances are there'll be a lot of future releases in the series still to come, and as time passes and more of these end up being potentially localized, missing out on 2 over a huge number of titles doesn't seem like too bad a trade off. At least personally speaking, of course, I'd take that over not getting anything.

Plus, we all know the issue with Zero and especially with Ao is that currently XSEED just doesn't have a viable platform to release those on. Evolution versions are owned by Chara-Ani, and there's the issue with the voice acting, whereas a PC version from Falcom for Ao doesn't exist, and who knows what steps would need to be taken in order to port the game and/or strike a deal with the chinese company behind the existing Ao PC port. HOWEVER, should the series establish itself around here, there's no saying that, sometime in the future, a version of Crossbell Arc won't be avaible on a platform where XSEED actually has a shot at getting the games out, so it's not like one should just abandon all hope forever, I guess?

Anyway, it sucks that we might not get Zero and Ao for now (or ever, who knows), especially since a lot of people claim Ao's the best in the series so far, but if that's what must be done for the series to have a future around here, so be it. I'll most likely buy it and play it.

Baust

If Trails of Cold Steel really is Sen, I'm definitely excited.

...But I already spoiled the soundtrack thinking it would be several years before I'd get to play it. :(

Parsnip

Huh, I was looking up some info on this Xanadu thing since I had never heard of it before and turns out that Faxanadu was kind of a side story to Xanadu? And the name is actually a portmanteau of Famicom and Xanadu?

That's the first new thing I've learned in 2015.

Enjoy the Glint of Cold Steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJe6So9MqSc

I heard rumors a long time ago that XSeed was considering skipping to Sen no Kiseki and then if it & SC were successful, slowly going back through and doing the older games simultaneously as they brought out the new stuff so this news doesn't surprise me.

Falcom is rereleasing the first trilogy for Vita right? Maybe they can go back to the older games via possible upcoming Vita ports and throw a PC version in while they are at it. I'd have a really hard time imagining PSP releases in 2016+

Then again PSP never ceases to surprise.

Dio

Banned
Falcom is rereleasing the first trilogy for Vita right? Maybe they can go back to the older games via possible upcoming Vita ports and throw a PC version in while they are at it. I'd have a really hard time imagining PSP releases in 2016+

Then again PSP never ceases to surprise.

Wyrdwad on the Marvelous forums said:
Assuming we get to 3rd before we're dead, I'm pretty confident it'll see a PSP release. We wouldn't want to keep fans hanging who've been playing the series on their handheld devices this whole time.

As for Zero no Kiseki on Vita, I don't foresee that happening at all, unfortunately. The most obvious reason is, indeed, the voice-acting -- we almost certainly wouldn't be able to get the voice rights to it (we haven't been able to for any other Falcom title to date), and we DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to afford to dub it, so our only option would be to cut the voice-acting completely. And that's if we could even get the rights to the Vita game at all -- since remember, it's not a Falcom production, but a game developed by Pyramid and published by Kadokawa. So we'd need to negotiate terms and fees with three companies instead of just one.

As such, if we ever do get to Zero, I anticipate it being PC only or -- at best -- PC and PSP digital, like SC. If by some miracle we COULD get the Vita version, we'd be thrilled... but the odds are stacked very much against us on that.

I think doing the Evolution versions would be very hard for XSEED, so probably not.

I heard rumors a long time ago that XSeed was considering skipping to Sen no Kiseki and then if it & SC were successful, slowly going back through and doing the older games simultaneously as they brought out the new stuff so this news doesn't surprise me.

This sounds incredibly messy from a storytelling perspective but if that's what's needed to bring the games over, sure, better than not bringing them at all, I guess.

装甲悪鬼村正;145601905 said:
This sounds incredibly messy from a storytelling perspective but if that's what's needed to bring the games over, sure, better than not bringing them at all, I guess.

Buy the newer games to support the series while keeping them in your back log until all the older games get localized, it'll give you like 6 games to play in 2040 :p

VandalD

I don't know a thing about Xanadu Next, other than I played Faxanadu way back, and it's Falcom, and XSEED does good work. So I'm already looking forward to it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yay I'm glad to see Blood Drive pop up! Since it goes back to the first ones style of play I hope people who were put off by Book of Shadows presentation pick it up! (Also complete the Blood Drive chapter in BoS.)

redhairedking

For some reason i thought that Xanadu Next was a new game.

Are we sure that Trails of Cold Steel is Sen No Kiseki? Wasn't that called Trails in the Flash? In any case i liked the demo so i would be happy if localized.

For some reason every time i read "cold steel" i inevitably think of the Kayba line in one of the Yugioh games: "Prepare the feel the touch of cold steel as i summon my Vorse Raider!" lol

In addition to this while "sen" literally means "flash" the context in which it is used makes it clear that it refers to something like the flash of a weapon. All in all it's basically just Siliconera confusing people with their awful translation.

Eusis

That might be the best news out of all of this. What a dumb name, and why did they refuse to accept any suggestions/improvements for articles.
It's why I strongly feel that unless a name is just too much of a mouthfuls or you can make a safe assumption (Ryu ga Gotoku 5 would PROBABLY be Yakuza 5) it's best to stick with the exact Japanese name, albeit not being an idiot with the katakana. Similar for some Japan-only news, what a dumb cruel tease to talk about Threads of Fate coming to PSN when it was only to Japanese PSN... Where it's Dewprism.

Anyways I can see that important or not Falcon would want to go "well fuck it you'll never get caught up otherwise" and force Sen no Kiser to come sooner than later. Might help older entries anyway, a hot new title sparking interest so older titles gain some footing for selling.

Voliko

If Trails of Cold Steel really is Sen, I'm definitely excited.

...But I already spoiled the soundtrack thinking it would be several years before I'd get to play it. :(
Same, I couldn't resist. But damn is it good. One of the best I've ever heard.

Shouta

No. Sen no Kiseki takes place a few years after Trails in the Sky. It's not a prequel.

It takes place about about a year or so after the end of SC2, maybe a little more depending on time frame. It's not too much longer than that though.

Sen is a pretty good point to jump into for the series story-wise because it's a bit more standalone than Zero/Ao is comparatively. It draws on fewer specific things from Sora than the other two but it still remains best to have played those two games to get a basis of what's going on. It has a good chance of appealing to the general anime crowds here in the US too considering the setting and gameplay, in fact.

Still not sure on the Cold Steel subtitle, lol. The title Sen has a few meanings within the context of the games, including one that's a bit more idealistic per an interview with Kondou a few months back.

Einhander

Great news about Xanadu Next and Sen, if true.

Assuming XSEED isn't able to localize Ao and Zero, would fan translations of the PSP versions be likely?

Foffy

Banned
Great news about Xanadu Next and Sen, if true.

Assuming XSEED isn't able to localize Ao and Zero, would fan translations of the PSP versions be likely?

Ao is being worked on, as is Nayuta. They're likely because fan works have been underway for a little while, now.

I assume Zero might be worked on after Ao is finished.

Yasumi

Banned
Corpse Party Blood Drive, hell yeah!!

Give me that polygonal bloody goodness.
Can't wait. That lighting.
original.jpg

Just finished the first Corpse Party game yesterday and have Book of Shadows to start soon. So this pleases me greatly. Now just need to hope that Corpse Party 2 gets a Vita version and releases in NA since I don't like playing on pc then I'll be set...until more games are announced.

Its going to be weird seeing Corpse Party game with 3D graphics. Surely, that won't make it scarier, right? :( (Tho personally the first Corpse Party game got less scarier as it went on.)

Oh dear, I'll also have to do all the wrong ends to get all trophies. Heard BoS has text skip option so this should too. Does anyone think we may see a physical release of Blood Drive? I hope since I like collecting but I doubt it.

Edit: I didn't want spoilers (I know its not really a spoiler but even seeing any part of the game I'd like to avoid to go in completely blind.) But wow that pic looks awesome!

Wow at XSEED Vita love. And people were saying we could get Sen no Kiseki games in 2028 or 2035. People waiting for TC/Ao/Zero games will have to wait a little longer, I guess.

Hopefully XSEED has something for 3DS in 2015 too. Forbidden Waifu, Legend of Legacy and of course Senran Kagura 2 for starters. And other Marvelous stuff like that crazy rhythm game: Bakumatsu Rock.
I don't think xseed is quite as big as you think lol...

Top Bottom