• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED registers domains: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Xanadu Next, Trails of Cold Steel

Some helpful people reminded me of all the extraneous issues surrounding the Vita ports of Zero and Ao. Taking that into consideration, I see why it might be tough for XSEED to consider those versions viable. (Sadly.) There is a PC version of Zero, but it don't know all the ins and outs about it.

So taking that into consideration, it is easier to see why jumping to Sen is probably the most logical option right now. Though, I really hope XSEED is going to be forthcoming with there plans for the series overall in light of this news. If they still plan to tackle Zero and Ao when a more suitable option/platform presents itself, it would be a lot easier for me to get fired up about the series again. (Because I definitely still do feel deflated over this, but I'm trying to bounce back.)

Though in all of this hubbub, I feel like The 3rd is being forgotten. It doesn't face the same hurdles that Zero and Ao do, so I hope that it's not going to be a casualty of this supposed shake up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Though in all of this hubbub, I feel like The 3rd is being forgotten. It doesn't face the same hurdles that Zero and Ao do, so I hope that it's not going to be a casualty of this supposed shake up.

I get the impression they need to do that one for Sen 2/Ao. Maybe that will come after Sen and before Sen 2.

I really hope the Chinese or whoever make a decent PC port of Sen before we... get it in 2020.

I'd be happy with a Vita/PS3 version but who knows if the Vita will matter at all by then.

Zhao_Yun

I really hope the Chinese or whoever make a decent PC port of Sen before we... get it in 2020.

I'd be happy with a Vita/PS3 version but who knows if the Vita will matter at all by then.

XSEED is going to release 2 PSP games this year so as long as they sill have a fanbase on the Vita I don't see a problem for a Vita release.

3rd on PC/dedicated machines should happen after Sen, mainly to show XSEED's fully committing with Kiseki localizations.

Also, Trails of the Flash sounds like a Marvel trade, it doesn't sit well.

Aeana

So are you happy with the new title?

You guys keep quoting my spelling errors!

I'm reasonably happy with it. It's not an easy thing to translate. In Japanese, it can mean a lot of different things. Trails of Cold Steel translates the intent without being literal, which was definitely the way to go.

XSEED is going to release 2 PSP games this year so as long as they sill have a fanbase on the Vita I don't see a problem for a Vita release.

and I'm sooo excited for both of those(I'll get SC on PC but still).

BRANDISSHHHHH

Also, Trails of Cold Steel is cooler than Flash.

Tohsaka

I think Vita is still going to be viable for localizations for a while, especially since piracy still isn't possible. Even Namco has warmed back up to the platform in the west again, which I never expected.

RangerBAD

I'm reasonably happy with it. It's not an easy thing to translate. In Japanese, it can mean a lot of different things. Trails of Cold Steel translates the intent without being literal, which was definitely the way to go.

Well, I guess I'd rather have a good translation.

wrowa

SpaceDrake (who's working alongside XSEED on SC) already adressed this a couple weeks ago in another thread.

f the series continues after SC (and Tom's comments seem pretty clear, I think) then skipping Sky 3rd is not on the cards. It sometimes gets heat for being more of a "fan-disc" or expansion than anything else, but it contains a lot of additional world-building that Falcom simply could not get into FC or SC initially, and while Zero doesn't rely on it as much (outside of some backstory for one specific character), Ao and Sen/S2 lean on it to greater or lesser degrees.

Other games might get prioritized in order to get the English-speaking world synched better with releases, but skipping it is not on the cards if the franchise remains a going concern.

So - assuming he's somewhat involved in that process - you apparently don't need to worry about 3rd being forgotten and I'd assume the same holds true for the other PSP games.

SpaceDrake (who's working alongside XSEED on SC) already adressed this a couple weeks ago in another thread.

So - assuming he's somewhat involved in that process - you apparently don't need to worry about 3rd being forgotten and I'd assume the same holds true for the other PSP games.
Thanks. I believe I did read that but forgot. :x

What a prophetic post too. I guess the writing has been on the wall for a while here.

Some helpful people reminded me of all the extraneous issues surrounding the Vita ports of Zero and Ao. Taking that into consideration, I see why it might be tough for XSEED to consider those versions viable. (Sadly.) There is a PC version of Zero, but it don't know all the ins and outs about it.

Anyone care to tell me about these issues? I was eventually going to start importing the JP Vita versions of these games starting with FC Evolution later this year, are we talking game-breaking bugs or just some kind of licensing problems?

Anyone care to tell me about these issues? I was eventually going to start importing the JP Vita versions of these games starting with FC Evolution later this year, are we talking game-breaking bugs or just some kind of licensing problems?
They weren't developed by Falcom, but by two other companies, so XSEED would have to negotiate the rights with three companies overall. Plus the addition of full voice acting would be very expensive to license if they didn't want to dub it in English.

They were pretty buggy too when they first game out, but I think those were patched. I know I saw Aeana talking about that before.

Almighty

There is no PC version. Maybe it will get a Chinese port and Falcom will release a Japanese version for XSEED to pick up, but nobody knows at this point.

Yeah what I was afraid of. I will just have to keep looking forward to SC and see how the rest of this pans out from the sidelines.

They weren't developed by Falcom, but by two other companies, so XSEED would have to negotiate the rights with three companies overall. Plus the addition of full voice acting would be very expensive to license if they didn't want to dub it in English.

They were pretty buggy too when they first game out, but I think those were patched. I know I saw Aeana talking about that before.

Licencing.

I see, thanks!

Stark

Banned
So in Sen & Sen II's case, would they have to cut the voice-acting or would they at least be able to keep it on PS3?

I assumed space was an issue.
I don't think that would be a problem. I don't know if dual audio would be on the table, for other reasons, but I see no reason why the games wouldn't be voiced, whether it be in Japanese or with a new English dub.

krYlon

Could they not release them without the voice acting?

Also, does Sen not have the same amount of voice acting? Genuine question as I dont know

Tohsaka

Also, does Sen not have the same amount of voice acting? Genuine question as I dont know

Voice acting isn't the only problem. Kadokawa and Chara-ani were involved with making Zero/Ao Evolution on the Vita, so they wouldn't just need to get the license from Falcom.

Stark

Banned
I don't think that would be a problem. I don't know if dual audio would be on the table, for other reasons, but I see no reason why the games wouldn't be voiced, whether it be in Japanese or with a new English dub.

Oh okay. I mean, I'd prefer the Japanese dub but I'd be okay with the latter, too. Thanks.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thank you based XSEED. I can't get enough Falcom games.

18-Volt

So this Xanadu Next game is a Steam/GOG release or something? If it is a website specially for it sounds a little dumb. It's a 10 year old game anyway.

Producer

So this Xanadu Next game is a Steam/GOG release or something? If it is a website specially for it sounds a little dumb. It's a 10 year old game anyway.

doesnt matter how old it is. Its a good game that never got an offical english release. With TiTS FC success on steam it makes sense to release more games on the platform

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

... without... being literal? Are you kidding me? Why would you not want to be literal? Google Translate tells me the only correct translation is "Trajectory of the Legend of Heroes blende" and anything less is a moral affront to the artistic integrity of this work.

18-Volt

doesnt matter how old it is. Its a good game that never got an offical english release. With TiTS FC success on steam it makes sense to release more games on the platform

It did. N-Gage version was full English and by far it was the best game released on that ill-fated platform.

... without... being literal? Are you kidding me? Why would you not want to be literal? Google Translate tells me the only correct translation is "Trajectory of the Legend of Heroes blende" and anything less is a moral affront to the artistic integrity of this work.
Trajectory of the Blende sounds like an office coffee- spray toy. I'd buy it for Secret Santa.

Xanadu Next is more than deserving of its own release website. Most anyone who plays the game says it feels new, refreshing at least.

The Sen games aren't fully voiced. Sometimes only one character in a conversation will have audio dialogue, and sometimes only certain lines are voiced.

Einhander

So guys, are the PSP versions of Zero and Ao easily (and cheaply) available to buy?

I might buy them now to prepare for the fan translations.

krYlon

The Sen games aren't fully voiced. Sometimes only one character in a conversation will have audio dialogue, and sometimes only certain lines are voiced.

Oh right, I guess that's another reason to skip straight to Sen, along with the multiple companies.

I'd just be happy with SC and Third at this point anyway! And Tokyo Xanadu.

Didn't they skip straight to Sen for Korea? Not that surprising that they could be doing the same thing here. I'm sure there's a better ROI going for the 3D title.

And seriously, I started with Sen. It's not THAT jarring.

18-Volt

I'm happy that XSEED still sees the value in Falcom's old PC games.

Me too, gonna grab it the moment it hits GOG. Hopefully this could pave the way for Tokyo Xanadu localization, which we still don't know which platform it'll be on.

Packaging an older Xanadu game with Next, like the 1985 original or Revival Xanadu, would be a good move on XSEED's part. Those games could be difficult to market standalone on Steam, though GOG would show interest.

FLD

Fuck yeah, Blood Drive! Really need to get around to playing Book of Shadows, now!

And more Trails is also great news. I can't help but be a little disappointed if they skip any of them, though. Wonder which platform it'll be for. The Evolution Vita remakes seem like the best versions but I'd really love have as many of them as possible on Steam.

Einhander

And more Trails is also great news. I can't help but be a little disappointed if they skip any of them, though. Wonder which platform it'll be for. The Evolution Vita remakes seem like the best versions but I'd really love have as many of them as possible on Steam.

Tom from XSEED said it's highly unlikely the Vita versions can be feasibly localized because the licensing and voice acting would be costly. There are multiple companies involved for the Vita versions. I'd be happy with fan translations for the PSP versions. If it is Sen, I hope it's the console version. It was for PS3, right?

Top Bottom