• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED registers domains: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Xanadu Next, Trails of Cold Steel

UberTag

I've raved enough about Corpse Party: Blood Drive in other threads but, needless to say, it lived up to all my expectations and delivered on some additional ones I didn't even think were that important. More importantly, now that it has a domain registered and a likely 2015 localization planned, I can go back to my Most Anticipated Game list and update it to reflect Blood Drive once again.

As for Sen no Kiseki, I'm understandably thrilled by this news. The snail's pace that has been the localization of Trails of the Sky (largely a result of having a daunting translation helmed by a team far too small for its daunting size despite a rabid fanbase chomping at the bit to throw both money and labor their way) has been discouraging... BUT... I do still believe that the end result will be a gaming experience worthy of the wait.

I'm optimistic that Sen, being the most recent incarnation of the Kiseki franchise, may allow XSEED to devote a greater amount of time and budget to ensure a speedier localization which, in turn, given that these games don't look too archaic, should result in getting modern JRPG enthusiasts to give them time in their gaming schedule instead of turning a blind eye and pretending this series doesn't exist while clamoring for the first proper Persona installment since 2008 and the first potentially decent Final Fantasy installment since 2006.

FLD

Tom from XSEED said it's highly unlikely the Vita versions can be feasibly localized because the licensing and voice acting would be costly. There are multiple companies involved for the Vita versions. I'd be happy with fan translations for the PSP versions. If it is Sen, I hope it's the console version. It was for PS3, right?

Oh, I see. That's a bummer but understandable. I'll gladly take whichever version XSEED is capable of bringing over.

Tohsaka

Tom from XSEED said it's highly unlikely the Vita versions can be feasibly localized because the licensing and voice acting would be costly. There are multiple companies involved for the Vita versions. I'd be happy with fan translations for the PSP versions. If it is Sen, I hope it's the console version. It was for PS3, right?

PS3 and Vita.

Links_fantasy

With Corpse Party Blood Drive on Vita and the Sen No Kiseski titles for Vita/PS3 and also the new Ys for Vita/PS4 XSeed have a bigger market to sell to rather than just Vita. I hope as many of these come over as possible. The Vita really needs some non indie or Moei games and Falcom is one of the best rpg developers who is severely ignored in the West. All of these games would keep me playing my Vita for a long time. The PSP was my second most played system last gen next to the NDS due to all the quality RPG's. With Square Enix mostly non existent on Vita most Vita RPG's coming over are lower budget moei games that I'm just not interested it. We really need Falcoms awesome games translated to boost the quality RPG's for it as the 3DS has gotten so many great RPG's in the last few years that it's put the Vita to shame and has a far greater number of RPG's.

Syril

As for Sen no Kiseki, I'm understandably thrilled by this news. The snail's pace that has been the localization of Trails of the Sky (largely a result of having a daunting translation helmed by a team far too small for its daunting size despite a rabid fanbase chomping at the bit to throw both money and labor their way) has been discouraging... BUT... I do still believe that the end result will be a gaming experience worthy of the wait.

I got the feeling that the slow pace is also because it's such a long-term project that they have to still be releasing other games as they work on it. I thought they said at one point that if they were to ever attempt to devote all their resources to Trails at once, they would go out of business.

Since they are doing an old xanadu game does that mean they are probably thinking about doing tokyo xanadu?
Why contain it? As long as Tom's around, we're going to receive more Falcom than ever before, including IPs like Sorcerian people don't know they want. TX will do particularly well in Japan and on Western DD assuming the game's attractive to fans of Next and related games.

Reveirg

I think it's likely especially going by Tom's comments in the Tokyo Xanadu thread. He also seems to be a big Xanadu fan.

Hah, reading this thread again is funny. Someone straight out interpelled wyrdwad and said "Xanadu Next. Steam. Right now. Do it to build hype".

Spot on!

Tohsaka

Hopefully someone else can pick that one, Shining Resonance and Legend of Legacy. I'm not too hopeful though ;_;

We might get those other ones, but I doubt we'll get Shining Resonance, unfortunately, since Sega doesn't seem to like letting other companies localize their IPs. We haven't gotten any of the recent Shining games, either.

It's getting late and I remembered that Trails in the Flash is no longer a thing that anybody will ever say again with any kind of seriousness.

Today is a victory for humanity.

Here are 6 domains by XSEED in 2014:

http://reversewhois.domaintools.com/xseed-jks,-inc.

a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com (Akiba's Trip)
b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com
c _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com (Corpse Party: Blood Drive)
l _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ a.com (Lord of Magna)
s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com (Story of Seasons)
t _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ l.com (Trails of Cold Steel)

Hangman anyone? :p

Can't see Xanadu Next in the link. Weird.

Also someone has Stella Glow:

http://whois.domaintools.com/stellaglow.com

But I can't find evidence that this is related to the 3DS game by Imageepoch.

Tohsaka

a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com

The first one is probably Akiba's Trip.

Read the thread title, saw "Xseed" and "Trails of", almost did a spit-take. Then I looked up Xanadu Next, saw it was a game for the N-Gage and almost choked.

No way we get two Trails games this year, right? Sen must be at least a 2 year project, but I have no idea how long they could've been working on it.

Tohsaka

Read the thread title, saw "Xseed" and "Trails of", almost did a spit-take. Then I looked up Xanadu Next, saw it was a game for the N-Gage and almost choked.

No way we get two Trails games this year, right? Sen must be at least a 2 year project, but I have no idea how long they could've been working on it.

Xanadu Next was a PC game, too. I don't know of the inner workings at XSEED, but they had Carpe Fulgur working on Trails SC. That could've freed them up to be working on Sen in the meantime, though I guess we'll find out soon whenever they decide to comment on these domain registrations.

Takao

Banned

a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com (Akiba's Trip)

brandishpsp.com

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Well I'm not looking at the thread now that it's coming officially at an unspecified time! Luka is bugging me to play it now and telling me no one cares about Corpse Party. >;

i'm just teasing you, dear

technically i've been bugging you to play it since september

Enjoy the Glint of Cold Steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJe6So9MqSc

I heard rumors a long time ago that XSeed was considering skipping to Sen no Kiseki and then if it & SC were successful, slowly going back through and doing the older games simultaneously as they brought out the new stuff so this news doesn't surprise me.

I'd be okay with this. Filling in the gaps as they release the new games would be a good way to handle things for everyone (hopefully there's nothing too major from Third/Zero/Ao in Sen or Sen II).

Since they are doing an old xanadu game does that mean they are probably thinking about doing tokyo xanadu?

I don't think there's any doubt of that. XSEED have been on a Falcom kick for awhile now.

18-Volt

We might get those other ones, but I doubt we'll get Shining Resonance, unfortunately, since Sega doesn't seem to like letting other companies localize their IPs. We haven't gotten any of the recent Shining games, either.

Sega actually does allow other publishers to localize their franchises. NISA localized the Sakura Wars game on Wii. But that was the only example.

As for Lost Dimension, it's in the Atlus territory. It's made by people who worked on Etrian Odyssey & SMT.

Sega actually does allow other publishers to localize their franchises. NISA localized the Sakura Wars game on Wii. But that was the only example.

As for Lost Dimension, it's in the Atlus territory. It's made by people who worked on Etrian Odyssey & SMT.

Lost Dimension isn't necessarily in Atlus territory. Lancarse is largely a development assisting company, with a forte in Dungeon RPGs with Etrian Odyssey and SMT: Strange Journey being their most notable titles in the West. If you look at their works, they work with a variety of companies like Nippon Ichi, Nintendo, Bandai Namco, FuRyu, Square Enix too

Shouta

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not really but kinda? All that seems to talk about are the Bond events, aka Social Links for folks that have played Persona. Sen does have a school setting though but it deals with the country as a whole and isn't just limited to that setting though you do spend a lot of time there.

That's the kind of stuff that makes me a lot less interested in Sen. I also don't like the art style.

Aeana

That's the kind of stuff that makes me a lot less interested in Sen. I also don't like the art style.

I am a firm hater of the school life / social links stuff that has pervaded RPGs since Persona 3, and Sen 1 (only 1!) has that as its backbone for the first half. It gets a lot better in the second half though, and I ended up enjoying the game. Overall, it's my least favorite Kiseki though because of those elements. With that said, Sen 2 is my second favorite Kiseki by far after Sora 3rd, and you need to go through Sen 1 to get to it. 2 is sooo good.

Expecting Sen I to be like Type-0 kinda starts things off on a wrong note.

It's a RPG about a bunch of teenagers in a military academy.

And stuff happens, but it's still predominantly a game that's rooted in the academy/classroom vibe.

It's like expecting Trails FC to be a FFX "save the world" epic.

FC is at its core, a coming of age story of two teenagers on a road trip/journey.

Aru

Man, with so many games coming to PSP/Vita, I think I don't need another handheld for at least 2 years. I also have the 3DS but it's getting less and less use. I was thinking of switching to iOS gaming and buy a MFi controller, but I guess that's not happening anytime soon.

I haven't played any Corpse Party games yet, but that needs to change. Also, more Falcom games is always good news. Still need to play Celceta and TitS though.

How does Sen no Kiseki compare to Trails in the Sky/other JRPGs?

Disclaimer: my opinion may either suck. Or it'll be as if we're soul mates. Or neither.

Solid title that's a strong sequel set-up. The narrative design of it being centered around a military academy may turn off some people, but within the context of the setting, I found it to be decently executed.

I'd personally rank it above FC, but it doesn't match up to SC and Zero. As for other RPGs, it's not in the same league as the classics, but I'd consider it a notch or two below at worst.

It expands on the characters that didn't get much time in the original by detailing their time in Heavenly Host. It builds on the characters (including those from other schools) by going through their past or the events that lead to them ending up in the elementary school, so nothing really changes from the first game it's just expanded upon and the final chapter
begins the attempt to save those who were lost.

The other major thing about Book of Shadows that I haven't seemed mentioned is that it also acts has "What If?" scenarios. For example, the first chapter with Naomi and Seiko
Is based on what would happen if the Bad End in the original where the students are forced to go back to Heavenly Host happened.
I haven't played the game but I don't see why these particular chapters would be canon, but they do still add to the characters and overall scenario.

Shouta

They're both a part of the game but they aren't the entire game unlike say Persona. It's more of a backdrop in Sen, there to give context to the characters and the story in addition to being a base of sorts. It's superficially the same but I feel it becomes pretty different when you look at the whole game.

I am a firm hater of the school life / social links stuff that has pervaded RPGs since Persona 3, and Sen 1 (only 1!) has that as its backbone for the first half. It gets a lot better in the second half though, and I ended up enjoying the game. Overall, it's my least favorite Kiseki though because of those elements. With that said, Sen 2 is my second favorite Kiseki by far after Sora 3rd, and you need to go through Sen 1 to get to it. 2 is sooo good.

Yeah, Sen I is essentially the FC for Sen II's SC. It's a good game in its own right but it's there to set the stage for its follow-up game really.

I really liked the school setting in this though because they put time into the campus and its characters so you get the feeling that it's something rather than a little set for the main cast to play on. That was always one of my biggest complaints with Persona, heh.

How does Sen no Kiseki compare to Trails in the Sky/other JRPGs?

It'll be depend on whether or not you like or are sick of the school setting, really. I think it's in the bottom half of the Trails games released but well above a lot of other JRPGs.

Do you feel like the school life aspects led to a good payoff in terms of caring for the characters and their motivations? The way you describe sounds like a short term version of how people have described FC to SC, where FC has a slow burn that helps to build characters and scenario, which I like. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of a Social Link style of games in this case, despite being a fan of Persona 3 and 4.

EDIT: Although I see Shouta weighed in on most of this. More opinions are always nice though.

Stark

Banned
I really liked the school setting in this though because they put time into the campus and its characters so you get the feeling that it's something rather than a little set for the main cast to play on. That was always one of my biggest complaints with Persona, heh.

I like school settings, but I'm curious about this whole Bond system. Is it more or less the same as social links or expanded?

Top Bottom