• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 is blowing me away as someone who never played the series before

Well, someone apparently thought it was a good idea to market the series as a japanese GTA, originally. Which seems oversimplified and ingenuine. If anything that likely, made its chances, to establish itself, difficult in the west.

Sega's marketing department should've been more forthcoming and marketed it as it is: A 3D Streets of Rage/River city ransom-esque, brawler with RPG elements, and, an explorable hub/overworld.

That its packed with side activities and content should be acknowledged aswell. It serves as an example of focus on substance. Another publisher may have possibly seen it as an opportunity to sell it seperately as DLC.

Well, someone apparently thought it was a good idea to market the series as a japanese GTA, originally. Which seems oversimplified and ingenuine. If anything that likely, made its chances, to establish itself, difficult in the west.

Sega's marketing department should've been more forthcoming and marketed it as it is: A 3D Streets of Rage/River city ransom-esque, brawler with RPG elements, and, an explorable hub/overworld.

That its packed with side activities and content should be acknowledged aswell. It serves as an example of focus on substance. Another publisher may have possibly seen it as an opportunity to sell it seperately as DLC.

Yeah, the marketing on the original game sucked, its been stuck with the whole "Japanese GTA" stigma for a decade now which was really frustrating to always hear it described like that, when in truth its nothing like GTA.

I've always thought of it as the natural 3D progression to 2D brawlers like SoR or Final Fight myself, though I remember originally being drawn to the game because the first couple of screen shots reminded me of Shenmue (exploring Japanese city). Of course actually playing the game for the first time I realised it really wasn't all like that either, but I ended up loving the series for what it was - I.E the combat, the story and the characters (even from the get go I loved Majima, Kiryu and Haruka as main characters).

Ads for the point about content - it always impresses me just how good the side stuff is in Yakuza. The mini games are for the most part well designed and mechanically sound, and thanks to completion lists, rare items and of course money, there is always a reason to actually play them. The presentation in some of these mini games (like Mah Jong and Darts) always really impressed me. The side stories deserve special mention because they aren't repetitive garbage like in some other open world games (do this X times) but instead crazy little looks into the lives of the townsfolk (plus its great how they bring back certain characters in future games and continue on their stories, a nice nod for longtime fans that followed the series since the beginning).

sn00zer

Sega America needs to commended for working their assessment off to get yakuza here even after pretty tepid series sales.

t26

But being a Japanese GTA worked, Yakuza 1 was still the best selling game in the series. Yet when they went after the niche gamer with Yakuza 4 it failed hard.

I just bought it this afternoon after I saw the Angry Joe's review. lol
It's my first time to the series too. I wish they would remastered the other Yakuza games for PS4.

I just bought it this afternoon after I saw the Angry Joe's review. lol
It's my first time to the series too. I wish they would remastered the other Yakuza for PS4.
Yakuza 1 Remake is coming out this summer. And yes, it's an actual remake using Y0 as a template.

I think after that you can just jump to Yakuza 6 (comes out early next year) without really felling lost since Yakuza games have mostly self-contained stories.

Yakuza 1 Remake is coming out this summer. And yes, it's an actual remake using Y0 as a template.

I think after that you can just jump to Yakuza 6 (comes out early next year) without really felling lost since Yakuza games have mostly self-contained stories.

Holy shit, for real?!! Can I get a physical copy or is it just a digital download only?

But being a Japanese GTA worked, Yakuza 1 was still the best selling game in the series. Yet when they went after the niche gamer with Yakuza 4 it failed hard.

Honestly, imo, it was a disservice to the game and a short-sighted decision. The core essence of the series does not appeal to the common GTA fan. It seems whoever was responsible for marketing the game wanted to latch onto the popularity of GTA, at the time. The two are barely comparable. It's GTA stigma has been more of a burden than a compliment.

I'd argue that there are various other factors which could attribute to Yakuza 1 being the more succesful installment in the west.

Dubz

I just played for about an hour and a half and turned off the game. When I came back to continue my game, there was no save data. Couple questions

1) How do you save?
2) Can you skip cutscenes?

I just played for about an hour and a half and turned off the game. When I came back to continue my game, there was no save data. Couple questions

1) How do you save?
1) Telephone booths. Look for giant S marks on the map.
2) Yes, you can skip most of them. Press options and you see the skip option. For the text box ones, you have to keep pressing circle or cross to speed through them.

kvn

1) How do you save?

1) Payphones. The game tells you in the beginning and there is a huge S above every phone as well as a "S" on the map.

StereoVsn

Thanks. But Im wondering about its Western release. Or is it too soon for figures?
If not does exceptionally well maybe Sega will release numbers next week. I doubt it though so we will have to wait for next months to see if it charted (doubtful).

Cloukyo

Banned
Can someone explain why so many people are having trouble with saving? They say it pretty clearly in the game. People are getting too spoiled by checkpoint systems.

Venfayth

I finished the game just now. About 50 hours, with a small amount of side questing done.

The story is fantastic the whole way throughout, super enticing the whole time.

The only bad things I have to say about the game:

I don't understand why they even let you unlock the DLC stuff if you're not in NG+, it kinda confused me and made me want to move forward with the story to wear different outfits, since they pretty much say "as you progress in the story you'll unlock the ability to wear different outfits".

Combat is a little janky sometimes, but very good overall if you spend time making money to unlock techniques and whatnot.

Camera can be frustrating sometimes, especially right when you exit a building, or if you get you get caught in an awkward spot during a fight (very infrequent)

Aside from that, I think there were maybe two or three moments throughout the 50 hours where the framerate dropped noticeably, but nothing really to complain about.

I'm really looking forward to playing more games in the series. I think I'm going to wait for Kiwami to release here and play that next.

Definitely a big recommendation from me, easily worth $60 if you're looking for a big dramatic story.

Cess007

Can someone explain why so many people are having trouble with saving? They say it pretty clearly in the game. People are getting too spoiled by checkpoint systems.

Yes, it seems people is super used to auto-saves and checkpoints. I mean, it's not like saving in Yakuza is any diferent than most JRPGs.

Top Bottom