• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 is blowing me away as someone who never played the series before

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So...
I am really liking zero.
Which means I should probably play Kiwami next when that comes out yeah?

After that, would i know enough to go to 6? Is it worth tracking down the other ones that have been translated (which one are those even, can i get a translated 2?)

Is the gameplay hard to go back to at this point?

every mainline yakuza game has been localized. Including 2. The gameplay is not hard to back to because the games really aren't that old, remember the whole series is only a decade old at this point.

however, tracking down 2 and maybe 3 will be more difficult than 4 and 5 since the latter are available digitally and 2 had a low-print run.

really, i wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine to play 6 after kiwami. if you want some yakuza before that comes out, 4 is really good (i used to recommend it as a starting place before 0!) and is available digitally.

DMONKUMA

That's nice. I haven't played much of the game since I'm still busy with Gravity Rush 2 and RE7, but its great so far.

bebop242

I am thrilled to see this series start to finally get its due. Haven't bought 0 yet but have played 4. Also have 3, 5, and dead souls and was thinking of holding off getting 0, but all these positive comments are swaying me to run out and get it.

Zalman

I'm a first-timer too. I'm only on Chapter 3 but I'm enjoying it so far.

It's easy for me to see why the series is getting such a huge boost now. I've been keeping an eye on it for such a long time, but Sega never made it easy for newcomers to jump in. With this being a prequel, and with Kiwami coming up later this year, it is now the perfect time for people like me to get into the series. I hope they find a way to bring 2-5 on PS4 as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've played an awful lot of Yakuza over the last decade, and I'm still blown away by 0. It's so fucking good. Everything. I just wanna go home and play it right now.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I haven't played any of the games in the series, either. It's tempting.

How is it on PS3?

Yakuza 0 was only localized on PS4. If you're asking how the series is on PS3, Yakuza 4 is the best game to start with on that console.

I want to play Y0 but my gaming+real life schedule is so tight for the next few months that by the time I finally get around to it Kiwami will probably be out. ._____.

By then 0 might be on sale at least.

This is also my first entry into the series and I'm also left wondering how I ignored this series for so long-- it's so good! Was it just bad timing? Did previous games tend to release towards the end of the console's popularity? Did they release right next to other games that stole the show?

Either way, I'm glad it finally grabbed my attention. It's just a great blend of genres with plenty of freedom in how you play, and an immersive story and characters. It's so easy to play with something interesting to always do or look forward to.

StereoVsn

Oh I don't know...

TsJrOGN.gif

Of course I realize this gif isn't even close to answering that question, but let's say that's just a tiny taste of what this game has to offer.

I'll raise you tiger punch.

tumblr_mvao5mn8HK1s3t6r6o1_400.gif

If you don't think punching tigers is manly, I don't know what to say!

Endo Punk

Where the hell were you people when the series needed help selling over here? >(

Enjoyed the hell out of Y4. Second fav PS3 game after Demon's Souls. I experience burnout with annual releases even biannual very quickly. I'm glad people are enjoying every Yakuza but the fact that I slept on every release after Y4 means my hype is through the roof. Ordered Y0 and can't wait to play, the franchise has never had this much hype around it, it's so good.

Zurick

Banned
I bought it based on the Please Buy it Thread and I gotta say I can't even get TO Resident Evil 7 with this game consuming my free time. I'm really excited you guys got me to look at this game because it's god damned amazing.

Dark_castle

I saw Angry Joe's first impression and the phone sex options. You like mice? was an option. I need to pick this game up some day.

qcf x2

I'm in the same boat, first Yakuza game and I'm only like 2 hours in but I already find myself really liking the game. The narrative and writing are like something you'd see in a Korean crime/action flick...which makes me really want to see some crossover w/ other asian countries in the future.

10/10 in terms of enjoyment so far.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
however, tracking down 2 and maybe 3 will be more difficult than 4 and 5 since the latter are available digitally and 2 had a low-print run.

Speaking of which, I decided to go ahead and jump on the English copies of the games I didn't have, since prices seem to be on the rise and new copies are getting harder to find. I already have Yakuza 1 and 2, which are much higher-priced than the others. Found new copies of Yakuza 3 and 4 for $50 each. Dead Souls was $18 new. I've seen it for even less than that but I wanted to get it from Amazon, via Prime, and they had just sold out of a $12 copy, d'oh. Also threw Binary Domain into the order because it was dirt cheap new as well.

I take it there are no physical English copies of Yakuza 5 in any region.

Humdinger

Cool, glad you're enjoying it. I hope to get to Yakuza 0, which will be my first Yakuza, soon after I finish Gravity Rush.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Enjoyed the hell out of Y4. Second fav PS3 game after Demon's Souls. I experience burnout with annual releases even biannual very quickly. I'm glad people are enjoying every Yakuza but the fact that I slept on every release after Y4 means my hype is through the roof. Ordered Y0 and can't wait to play, the franchise has never had this much hype around it, it's so good.

Y5 came out 4.5 years after Y4. ;)

StereoVsn

Speaking of which, I decided to go ahead and jump on the English copies of the games I didn't have, since prices seem to be on the rise and new copies are getting harder to find. I already have Yakuza 1 and 2, which are much higher-priced than the others. Found new copies of Yakuza 3 and 4 for $50 each. Dead Souls was $18 new. I've seen it for even less than that but I wanted to get it from Amazon, via Prime, and they had just sold out of a $12 copy, d'oh. Also threw Binary Domain into the order because it was dirt cheap new as well.

I take it there are no physical English copies of Yakuza 5 in any region.

Nope, unfortunately Y5 is only in Japanese. Might be a Chinese or Korean version out there but there was no Asia English version.

The best part about people falling in love with 0 is that it's not really any different than the 5 other games that have been released in the west

Hopefully this strong reception leads to good sales and more people trying it out. Yakuza is the best

matmanx1

Fizzled out on the series after playing Y1-3. I really got tired of the sluggish pacing and copious amounts of repetitive dialogue that danced around getting to the point. Kiryu was a bit too staid as well with his only real memorable trait being how effective he is at beating everyone to a pulp.

After three games I just couldn't find motivation to continue on with 4 and 5, but positive impressions on 0 have me intrigued. There is a lot to like in the series(given I did finish three of them), but there is plenty I am hoping to see improved as well. I'll muster my desire to give this game a try, but likely after a price drop.

As a guy who has done the same as well as playing parts of 4 and 5 I can tell you that Y0 feels noticeably higher in quality in pretty much every area. Even as a Yakuza veteran the game has been blowing me away. It's like it's the same heart and soul but it's been placed in to the body of the 6 million dollar man in place of the doddering old codger who used to occupy the same space.

The best part about people falling in love with 0 is that it's not really any different than the 5 other games that have been released in the west

Hopefully this strong reception leads to good sales and more people trying it out. Yakuza is the best

See above. It is the same but it's also remarkably, wonderfully better. And I say this as a guy who loved, loved loved Yakuza 2 above all of the others.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nope, unfortunately Y5 is only in Japanese. Might be a Chinese or Korean version out there but there was no Asia English version.

And Sega apparently denied Limited Run Games asking if they could produce copies for them. Sucks. At some point I'll get it digitally, then.

Crumpo

Oh man, the chicken video was amazing. I then watched Angry Joe's review and he fucking LOVED it. I was pissing myself at some of the stuff he was showing - you just can't make it up.

It just looks great; good story, fun combat and the crazy dialled up to eleven.

Gaf, I'm sold. See you on the other side...

Being on the stage at Sony's E3 conference was the push the series needed, I think. Outside of that yeah, it's been bad, Sony were better at marketing it than SEGA themselves.

sony finally getting on board's made all the difference, imo. just wish they'd done it sooner - they might not publish it, but the series is a great exclusive to feature in your line-up...

Exodust

Banned
I'm really glad Yakuza finally started catching on with a lot more people. Hopefully 0, Kiwami and 6 sell well enough that the series is found viable in the west.

And maybe people will stop acting like all Sega ever does is Sonic.

Endo Punk

sony finally getting on board's made all the difference, imo. just wish they'd done it sooner - they might not publish it, but the series is a great exclusive to feature in your line-up...

Yep always thought it was f'ing ridiculous that Sony didn't support this treasure of an IP, Kiryu is pretty much another mascot for Playstation like Kratos or Nate. So many high quality games,the franchise is finely getting its due and that bodes well for its future including spinoff games making it over to the West. Would have loved the samurai one getting localised.

It needs to be stressed how riveting the story is, I'm only in chapter 3 (very early) but every major story scene so far has been perfect and thrilling. I can't recommend it enough for people who like story-focussed games (such as JRPGs), and especially well written ones.

im looking forward to see how folks take to yakuza 6 here. there is the reality that this is the first dragon engine game, and the potential it holds is tremendous. but it has a ways to go. yakuza 7 can only go up from there.

Floody

My first since Yakuza 1 and I'm also loving it, game just has soo much charm that I can't help but love it, the rest being great is only making me love it more. Feel like I've missed out on a decade of great games.
Can't wait for Kiwami and Y6, might even bust out the PS3 and play 3 , 4 and 5 too.
Edit: Though I'm like 20 hours in to Y0 and only on chapter 3, so mightn't have time for that.

paulc316

Banned
Sony fanboy likes exclusive Sony game, more news at 11

Mod note: User was banned for this post, do not derail the thread by replying to it!

Top Bottom