• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Tizoc

I just watched an adult Video in Y0.
I was not impressed but then
Trophy unlocked. Description: "I did it for the trophy".
I only did it out of curiousity and for CP though :V

Gacha-pin

Yakuza 0 OT | Yes, you can start with this one!

^looks about right?

Yes, you can start with this one. Woo!

edit: sorry, this image might be a minor spoiler.
hqdefault.jpg

Sgblues

See people getting excited over the chicken in Zero but, they haven't even met Miracle Johnson or Steven Spinning or Pocket Fighter(who goes on to become a favorite among fans) yet.

I know when Y6 rolls around, you'll see the hype for Michi Ono popping up.

See people getting excited over the chicken in Zero but, they haven't even met Miracle Johnson or Steven Spinning or Pocket Fighter(who goes on to become a favorite among fans) yet.

I know when Y6 rolls around, you'll see the hype for Michi Ono popping up.

I forgot about Steven Spinning in 0... man I loved all those little in jokes in the game. And yeah, Pocket Fighter is my new favourite guest character, he kinda reminds me of Akimoto in that he reappears across more than 1 game as a minor side character who's story builds on the past games plot points. I much prefer him to Akimoto though, who was too one note for my liking (though his RGG3 storyline did have me laughing at the outcome).

I definitely second Michi Ono as well as the set of side missions you get as him in 6 had me laughing my ass off.

Legitimately getting emotional over the great reviews for Y0.

Can't even imagine how you guys must be feeling, you've been sticking with the series for far longer than I :)

Aki-at

Legitimately getting emotional over the great reviews for Y0.

Can't even imagine how you guys must be feeling, you've been sticking with the series for far longer than I :)

Reviews are just phase 1, hopefully the sales shines through. Currently it's at 21st both in the UK and Canada Amazon top 100 game sellers and 30th in Amaerica. Now I don't think Amazon sales chart are a sign of guaranteed success but I've never seen Yakuza games chart so high on them, hopefully the title shows some legs as more people recommend it to friends and family :)

(My only disappointment is all this Western hype is hitting just as the series is drawing to a close... or at least the Kiryu saga is)

If you told me 10 years ago that there would be a decent sized Falcom fan base, Persona would be one of the most anticipated games of the year and that Yakuza would be one of Sega's highest profile releases of the year I'd have called you a damned liar. It's a good time to be a gamer.

Peroroncino

If you told me 10 years ago that there would be a decent sized Falcom fan base, Persona would be one of the most anticipated games of the year and that Yakuza would be one of Sega's highest profile releases of the year I'd have called you a damned liar. It's a good time to be a gamer.

The current critical acclaim of Yakuza 0 seems still a tad unreal to me.

okay, so i'm working with m'man cj_iwakura for the OT, he's knocking out the banners this weekend while i'm outta town - i'm likely gonna copy character info & story stuff from sega themselves or the like, as i've purposely tried to stay away from spoilers, haha.

gameplay stuff i think we got a good writeup from sparda in the starter guide thread, prolly gonna use that! few trailers & promo stuff, a general FAQ and of course the title y'all agreed on and baby, we got us a stew goin

^looks about right?

okay i'm thinking we start with this gem, yeah

hyped for the OT =)

Kaelan

Was reading this thread for sometime, so pretty much if I wanna play the series its best to play it in chronological order? I'm gonna wait till summer that way I can play the Yakuza 1 remake, and then Yakuza 3,4,5,6 and then 0. I'll only have a PS3/PS4 so yeah

Was reading this thread for sometime, so pretty much if I wanna play the series its best to play it in chronological order? I'm gonna wait till summer that way I can play the Yakuza 1 remake, and then Yakuza 3,4,5,6 and then 0. I'll only have a PS3/PS4 so yeah

If you want to play it at its best, play them in release order. You need to play 0 before Kiwami.

Tizoc

okay, so i'm working with m'man cj_iwakura for the OT, he's knocking out the banners this weekend while i'm outta town - i'm likely gonna copy character info & story stuff from sega themselves or the like, as i've purposely tried to stay away from spoilers, haha.

gameplay stuff i think we got a good writeup from sparda in the starter guide thread, prolly gonna use that! few trailers & promo stuff, a general FAQ and of course the title y'all agreed on and baby, we got us a stew goin

^looks about right?

okay i'm thinking we start with this gem, yeah

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one.

That's a little better, no need for the exclamation mark IMO.

Gacha-pin

Hopefully, Sega America will bring Yakuza 1 & 2 HD to Playstation Now so that you can play the second entry as well.

Hopefully with the added interest Yakuza is getting now, some sort of port of 2 (whether it be the PS2 original, HD release or a new remake) is more likely. Sega would have to be... well Sega to not strike while the iron is hot on the demand for Yakuza 2 (especially as its so darn expensive to get a PS2 copy these days).

I'll miss Bubble in the English version. Probably my favourite intro song of the series and it went so well with the opening of chapter 1 of 0.

Also, not sure if its all that indicative of sales, but as mentioned in the review thread, Yakuza 0 is currently sold out/unavailable on Amazon.co.uk.

Guys if anyone else wants a Yakuza tag just quote me here or send me a PM. I can't help but feel like some of you are holding back thinking that it would be a bother for me. Trust me, it's not.
If you wanna do chronological order then you should follow the numbers.
0 -> Kiwami -> Y3 -> Y4 -> Y5

Also, don't play many Yakuza games in quick succession. My advice would be to play Y0 right now, wait for Kiwami and play that at launch as well. Then do Y3-Y5 with one or two months gap between each game leading to Y6's release in Q1 2018.

cj_iwakura

I don't know how or when Japanese artists became so stubborn over their music, but it really sucks.

I'm pretty sure more people hearing your songs is considered a good thing.

I don't know how or when Japanese artists became so stubborn over their music, but it really sucks.

I'm pretty sure more people hearing your songs is considered a good thing.
I remember a discussion about this on one of Hatsune Miku threads. While I don't remember the exact details, I know that it sounded much more complex and time/resource consuming than I originally thought.

Edit: Wait.... I think that was about subbing the songs. Yeah, my mistake. Subbing songs is really hard and very time consuming since not only the artist but the author as well, have to see the translation and approve it. And in some cases the translation has to be accurate word by word. So yeah, subbing songs is a pain.

giphy.gif

I was bored.
Ahahaha.

I wonder how many will get that reference :p

Menitta

I can't be the only one who's nervous about Kiwami right? It's more or less the same game as 0 but with 1's story. I hope it's received well. From what I've heard it's got some issues like the Majima Anywhere system ending up cheapening the fights against him in the main story.

I'm sorry, I'm just so passionate about this series and any thought of something negative happening in the west gets me nervous.

Peroroncino

I can't be the only one who's nervous about Kiwami right? It's more or less the same game as 0 but with 1's story. I hope it's received well. From what I've heard it's got some issues like the Majima Anywhere system ending up cheapening the fights against him in the main story.

I'm sorry, I'm just so passionate about this series and any thought of something negative happening in the west gets me nervous.

Well 0 is definitely gonna get some new fans now, but your usual gamers that have a shorter attention span or just won't like it THAT much probably won't bother with Kiwami anyway, where new fans are probably gonna try it and love it. More of the same isn't necessarily bad, I mean, that phrase is kind of Yakuza in a nutshell.

Besides, remakes usually tend to do worse than sequels. I'm just happy Sega comitted to the franchise in the west, they SURELY, after all that fuckin' time must've finally got it through their skulls that the potential is there.

Menitta

Well 0 is definitely gonna get some new fans now, but your usual gamers that have a shorter attention span or just won't like it THAT much probably won't bother with Kiwami anyway, where new fans are probably gonna try it and love it. More of the same isn't necessarily bad, I mean, that phrase is kind of Yakuza in a nutshell.

Besides, remakes usually tend to do worse than sequels. I'm just happy Sega comitted to the franchise in the west, they SURELY, after all that fuckin' time must've finally got it through their skulls that the potential is there.

I'm personally not upset about Kiwami, I think it looks great and I'm absolutely going to get it. And you're right how more for Yakuza isn't a bad thing. I'm just nervous people will be like "Oh this is such a lazy remake, it's just Yakuza 0" or something like that.

Though I doubt Yakuza, how successful it may be getting, will never reach a point where people are extremely upset about that.

StayDead

Was there ever an import OT for Yakuza 6? I just finished the main story today and I'd like to talk about it somewhere, but I can't find a thread.

EDIT: I scrolled back in here a bit and saw people have posted stuff about the ending in spoilers, so I guess it's here!

I'll post my thoughts later, but I loved it in short.

Spoiler question for Yakuza 6:
are any of the characters or events from 0 mentioned in 6?

Only one I can recall (this is a spoiler for a side quest only) is
Pocket Circuit Racer
. He has a side quest that wraps up his plot from both 0 and Kiwami (I loved these stories, it was a nice end to his little story).

Kaelan

Guys if anyone else wants a Yakuza tag just quote me here or send me a PM. I can't help but feel like some of you are holding back thinking that it would be a bother for me. Trust me, it's not.

If you wanna do chronological order then you should follow the numbers.
0 -> Kiwami -> Y3 -> Y4 -> Y5

Also, don't play many Yakuza games in quick succession. My advice would be to play Y0 right now, wait for Kiwami and play that at launch as well. Then do Y3-Y5 with one or two months gap between each game leading to Y6's release in Q1 2018.

Sounds good man. I'll probably get 0 at a later time, maybe a month or so. Got too many games at the moment, and I was thinking it'd probably be best to place the games spaced out

Gacha-pin

I'll miss Bubble in the English version. Probably my favourite intro song of the series and it went so well with the opening of chapter 1 of 0.

Also, not sure if its all that indicative of sales, but as mentioned in the review thread, Yakuza 0 is currently sold out/unavailable on Amazon.co.uk.

As an intro song, it didn't click me much. But I do like the end credit song. I guess both songs are performed by the same group. That song is very good with 0's ending.
https://youtu.be/JJBqg5bavbk

Gacha-pin

Agreed, that song went great with 0's ending (I loved that compilation vid as well, makes me really want to replay both 0 and Kiwami right now!)

The editor of this vid did a great work. Apparently, the song itself is for Kiryu. But watching this video made me realize the song really suits for Nishiki as well. A gold fish (nishiki-koi) climbing to the sky like a dragon ~♪ :(

Is 0 the first Yakuza since 2 to have translated flourished text, i.e. "MEN IN BLACK" "FIND THE [THING]!"?

It's a nice touch.

Didn't 3 have something similar? I swear I remember seeing translated text for fights against "mysterious foreigners" or whatever the title
Andre Richardson got when you first fight him in Kamuracho
. I may well have imagined that though, seem weird that with everything they took out of 3's English release that they'd actually translate them.

cj_iwakura

Didn't 3 have something similar? I swear I remember seeing translated text for fights against "mysterious foreigners" or whatever the title
Andre Richardson got when you first fight him in Kamuracho
. I may well have imagined that though, seem weird that with everything they took out of 3's English release that they'd actually translate them.

They always translate them, but in 4 and 5 it's the JP text, but subtitled. In 1 and 2, it's actually edited graphics. Haven't played 3 yet.

I got rid of my ps3 for a few years. I never had a chance to play 5. I tagged it on PSN + back when and I'm finally installing it right now.

:3

and it's been installing for 15 minutes. I can't wait!

etrain911

So question: I know 6 is out in Japan as of last month, did anyone import it? Do you know if there are any other playable characters aside from Kiryu? Feel free to tag it in spoilers.

Ok. in Yakuza 6 do they seriously expect anyone to level up your diving rank to 10 for an optional completion goal? As I'm at rank 8 now and you get so little XP that it'd take around 50+ extra plays of the hardest course to get close to that much XP (unless there is an amazing tactic I'm missing). Oh well, can't say I'll be aiming for that goal then, you can wrap up all the other challenges in fishing way faster so there is no real incentive to do so, even though the mode is insanely addictive even I have my limits!

Oh well, almost done on the baseball mode, its strangely addictive even if I wish it were less sim based and more hands on action (the presentation of those bits are ace, feels like a waste not to use them more). I've also finally got round to equipping gear that greatly boosts the XP I get from missions/food. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner, as I probably would have hit 300 in every stat and had XP left over for the gang mode to boost my characters up to lvl 60+ at least...

Sallokin

Ok. in Yakuza 6 do they seriously expect anyone to level up your diving rank to 10 for an optional completion goal? As I'm at rank 8 now and you get so little XP that it'd take around 50+ extra plays of the hardest course to get close to that much XP (unless there is an amazing tactic I'm missing). Oh well, can't say I'll be aiming for that goal then, you can wrap up all the other challenges in fishing way faster so there is no real incentive to do so, even though the mode is insanely addictive even I have my limits!

Oh well, almost done on the baseball mode, its strangely addictive even if I wish it were less sim based and more hands on action (the presentation of those bits are ace, feels like a waste not to use them more). I've also finally got round to equipping gear that greatly boosts the XP I get from missions/food. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner, as I probably would have hit 300 in every stat and had XP left over for the gang mode to boost my characters up to lvl 60+ at least...

I had a hard time with the diving stuff as well. As far as I know there isn't some secret to leveling up any faster and I too quit before I hit even rank 8.

I really wanted to chime in on the baseball mode because I played this for abnormally long stretches. I basically maxed out the levels of all available players. It's so basic, but I really got into it.

Top Bottom