• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasunori Mitsuda plays Chrono Trigger music LIVE

This makes me wish He did a live concert series like Nobu does with Distant Worlds. Live Xeno - Trigger - Cross would be amazing.

But he does... in Japan and Taiwan.

http://www.procyon-studio.com/20th_special/

It's a concert series to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his career (which is, of course, also the 20th anniversary of Chrono Trigger). The setlist is absolutely glorious:

1. Premonition / Chrono Trigger / The Dream that Time Dreams (Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross)
  2. Melkaba (Xenogears Arrange Album: Creid)
  3. Sailing to the World (Seventh Seal Arrange Album: Sailing to the World)
  4. The Market in Volfinor (Kirite)
  5. Promise with Winds (Kirite)
  6. Small Two of Pieces (Xenogears)
  7. Wind Scene (Chrono Arrange Album: To Far Away Times)
  8. Lime Odyssey (Lime Odyssey)
  9. Beyond the Sky (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  10. As Long as the People Hand Down (Soul Sacrifice)
  11. Fated Encounter (Kirite)
  12. -Break-
  13. Opening / Atonement / Battle with the Devil (Tsugunai Arrange Album: An Cinniuint)
  14. Black Butler: Book of Circus Medley (Black Butler: Book of Circus)
  15. Ring / Run Through Flames (Soma Bringer)
  16. Astaroth (Shadow Hearts Arrange Album: Near Death Experience)
  17. Dream as One (Sarah Àlainn)
  18. Radical Dreamers (Chrono Arrange Album: To Far Away Times)
  19. Balto (Xenogears Arrange: Creid)
  20. Pain (Xenosaga)
  21. The Name of Our Hope (Kirite)
  22. -Encore-
  23. Time's Scar (Chrono Arrange Album: To Far Away Times)
  24. To Far Away Times / Distant Promise (Chrono Arrange Album: To Far Away Times)
  25. Lahan (Xenogears Arrange Album: Creid)

I wish they'd release a DVD or something.

Wellscha

It's so sad to see a talented composer do nothing worth mentioning after Chrono Cross.

What a sad sad world we live in.

jb1234

It's so sad to see a talented composer do nothing worth mentioning after Chrono Cross.

Well, that's not entirely true. One of his greatest works, Soma Bringer was written after CC. It was just never localized so most people have never heard the music.

Shenmue

Banned
Is there any way to rip these YT videos into MP3? I need these on repeat!!

Especially the Schala's Theme. Literally getting chills nonstop listening to this.

Really nice to hear these songs after so long. Mitsuda really made a classic with these soundtracks. 90s square enix music was beyond breathtaking.

jb1234

It wasn't gaming related though.

did a google check. Apparently, there's a translation patch for the game. I'll be hunting for the game cartridge once I get my next paycheck.

There is, yeah. The game is a hack and slash, sorta Diablo-esque. I haven't played much of it, myself but I heard it's good for what it is.

chrono01

I just finished watching the time-shift of the live performance(s). The CD tracks all sounded great [special mention to Schala's Theme], but man...when Yasunori Mitsuda grabbed the guitar at the ending and played his rendition of Schala's Theme as well as Epilogue - To My Dear Friends...chills. Instant chills. It just brings me to my second point.

As nice as the vocal tracks are [and they are great], I desperately need a CD full of nothing but Mitsuda-san, sitting down with a guitar, playing through the classic songs from Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. I'm definitely going to be purchasing Millenial Fair now, especially after this broadcast, but I just know part of me will still be disappointed that there won't be many orchestral tracks. I need more.

Mitsuda produced Sarah Alainn's last album. Her star is rising pretty fast - hopefully he can benefit too. There's a very Chrono-esque song on that album.

Oh, and dat concert setlist. I don't suppose it will still be going in April?

Tomodachi

Xenosaga Ep1 is probably his best work for me, to be honest.
And the work in Soul Sacrifice was pretty great too. Definitely worth mentioning.

Thoraxes

Mitsuda is GOD.

By the way that's Kumi Tanioka on piano. In Mitsuda's current concerts in Japan and Taiwan I believe there is even Yoko Shimomura.

I was just about to ask if that was her before I started scrolling down to read the rest of the thread. It looked too much like her, haha.

It wasn't gaming related though.

I don't see how that makes it "not worth mentioning". It's one of Mitsuda's best work. It was even a concept album paired with a short story written by Masato Kato. Although that short story was never translated, its summary seems kinda like Chrono Cross so I like to think that it's partly based on the ideas that Kato was brainstorming for the canceled third Chrono game that Sakaguchi mentioned in 2001:

"The Five Seasons of Kirite" by Masato Kato set inside a world of magic and fantasy, tells the story of a boy by the name Kirite, a girl by the name Kotonoha and a darkness by the name Orochi. When those three would meet, the world would silently start to go mad.

Mitsuda's soundtrack for the anime Black Butler: Book of Circus is pretty amazing too.

Rektash

I don't think Soma Bringers OST is a particularly good Mitsuda OST, and I am saying this as someone who owns a signed copy oft it. While it does have some nice (vocal) pieces and is well produced overall I thought it was vastly inferior to the Deep Labyrinth OST which he composed around the same time. While beeing relativly short the Deep Labyrinth soundtrack is simply oozing with atmosphere and does an incredible job at giving life to the various dungeons you explore in the game. Always feel like people forget about that soundtrack because no one played Deep Labyrinth.

did a google check. Apparently, there's a translation patch for the game. I'll be hunting for the game cartridge once I get my next paycheck.

It is a serviceable Diablo clone with pretty bland dungeons and kinda boring story wise. Ultimately fun and addicting gameplay at its core though. I played through it a couple years ago and thought it was okay if a bit overhyped.

The pieces Mitsuda contributed to the Shadow Hearts series and Soul Sacrifice are all fantastic. Town of Twilight from Shadow Hearts Covenant is still, to this day, my favourite town theme in a game.

wmlk

Tying both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross together really shows what the "Chrono sound" really is and what Masato Kato was talking about. Hearing themes from the two games interwoven so effortlessly is awesome.

wmlk

I wish this guy's work after Chrono was even half as good. Seems like he put all of his efforts into his earlier work to me.

What stuff are you talking about? I think it's equally as good. It's just not in the forefront of video games and he's generally not composing gigantic OSTs.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What is that wind instrument the guy is playing for the flute parts? It sounds like a flute but he's playing it like a recorder. A different kind of flute?

RaidenZR

Man, I'm lost with all the praise you guys are giving this album. I wanted to import this vinyl SO BAD, but the vocals have ruined it completely for me. Why did they feel the need to insert them? It takes me out of it so much.

Really sad. Also, no Frog's Theme?

Top Bottom