• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man

Can someone explain why towns are so hard to make in HD? I don't even remotely understand. I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few towns in RPGs this generation.

Oh, and before someone else says it: "city" = "shops" = HD DLC shop menus
I think it's largely just a joke at the expense of Japanese developers and the difficulties that they have had this generation.

Ravage

Crisis averted! Flight to Tokyo cancelled (don't ask me what i was planning to do...)

I never doubted Kagari :p

So you know who Kotaku's sources were and why they shouldn't have been trusted?

No but that's completely irrelevant. Even if they did trust the source, they're still the ones that put their names on the line by reporting it. Throwing in the word 'rumour' doesn't just give them leeway to post whatever the fuck they want. If they're wrong, they deserve criticism.

As I've said before, doesn't even the original FFXIII have all of the ingredients for towns? Cityscapes, NPCs, and shops are found in the same locations in FFXIII.

Valnen

Throwing in the word 'rumour' doesn't just give them leeway to post whatever the fuck they want. If they're wrong, they deserve criticism.

Why the hell not? A rumor is a rumor. Websites like that would suck if they never posted them. There's always a chance they will be wrong, and if you can't handle that you shouldn't be reading rumor articles.

Also I find it offensive that you think you're some kind of authority on what can and can't be posted on a blog.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
wwww at kotaku.

If this games ends up being anything like a souped up Kingdom Hearts I am going to love it.

I haven't kept up with this game at all but is the battle system known at all?

Is it more KH or FF something. I guess it is hard for me to have interest and we all know why, but if we had a solid release I'd be SUPER hyped. I'm not a turned based fan with rpgs but I love to leve up and I love open levels. Loved FF 12. Linear levels don't bother me though, that was also some of the appeal of 12, had a lot going for it that I enjoyed.

Hope to see this and TLG soon

Riposte

I'm kind of amazed that a throwaway comment(a jokey excuse, as Japanese devs love to give in interviews) is still being brought up to this day. There is a fire in Final Fantasy fans(/prisoners) that no other fanbase can rival. Maybe Megaman fans.

Jonnyram

You guys need to get over yourselves.
Do people never post rumours on GAF?
Do people not love discussing the rumours that Kotaku posts?
Do people not appreciate that they actually got some fucking news out of Wada on the subject?
Your behaviour is pathetic... ban Kotaku? Ban yourselves for talking about it, then.

NBtoaster

No but that's completely irrelevant. Even if they did trust the source, they're still the ones that put their names on the line by reporting it. Throwing in the word 'rumour' doesn't just give them leeway to post whatever the fuck they want. If they're wrong, they deserve criticism.

They heard it from multiple sources. They also contacted Square Enix who didn't clarify if it was still in development or not. The games been MIA for years. They didn't make anything up and had justification for reporting on it.

Does it feel like people live there?

Or is it just some 'level' that you can warp to from a menu and has skyscrapers in the background and more NPCs hanging about than usual.

It is most definitely a town. There are no enemies, people everywhere, buildings that you can kind of go in, sidequest things, branching paths, etc. The game has more than 1 "town" too.

Stark

Banned
Does it feel like people live there?

Or is it just some 'level' that you can warp to from a menu and has skyscrapers in the background and more NPCs hanging about than usual.

To me it did, yeah. Did a pretty good job.

I guess as some people said it was missing a proper shop and more buildings to go in, but I find that to be a minimal issue though.

Aurizen

I knew it wasn't canceled, its too in dev to cancel IMO, it would be a waste after 6 yrs so many fans would be disappointed. In the mean while I hope he has news on FFX HD soon.

patsu

They heard it from multiple sources. They also contacted Square Enix who didn't clarify if it was still in development or not. The games been MIA for years. They didn't make anything up and had justification for reporting on it.

Perhaps they should publish who/what those sources were since it turns out to be false. If the story is made up, I'm actually interested in who the hell claimed that "The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.". In many sense, they are the real culprits.

May be it would generate even more ad revenue ! ^_^

Do people not appreciate that they actually got some fucking news out of Wada on the subject?
Your behaviour is pathetic... ban Kotaku? Ban yourselves for talking about it, then.

I don't really hate Kotaku, but there is a difference between a press and regular users like me. It's not my job to report on game industry happenings.

Boss Man

To me it did, yeah. Did a pretty good job.

I guess as some people said it was missing a proper shop and more buildings to go in, but I find that to be a minimal issue though.
That's good news then.

If Versus has stuff like this and controllable airships (wasn't this confirmed?), then I am going to get all up inside that game.

Wada says something that makes me like him?

NQGYr.gif

CorvoSol

does Academia 400X in FFXIII-2 count as HD town?

I would count both Academia 4XX and New Bhodum as towns in XIII-2. Both have shops (sorta) and sidequests and wandering NPCs. You could also argue the case of Paddra, but I prefer not to count the abandoned Pulsian cities.

Valnen

Totally agreed. If something is clearly labeled as a rumor people have no right to get upset when it turns out to not be true.

Stark

Banned
That's good news then.

If Versus has stuff like this, and controllable airships (wasn't this confirmed?) I am going to get all up inside that game.

Yeah, I believe it was. I definitely see it coming as a massive improvement in Versus XIII compared to XIII-2 from what was shown before as well.

There was a trailer last year. It's only been "MIA," if you don't count brief updates from S-E, for a year and a half.

patsu

Totally agreed. If something is clearly labeled as a rumor people have no right to get upset when it turns out to not be true.

If Kagari heard different things about Versus just recently, clearly there's another avenue to get real info. As a news outlet, how could Kotaku miss or not report another view on the same topic ?

Since Kagari was not assassinated by Sony or SE ninjas, I assume his/her info is not exactly top secret info, or hard to get ?

Wouldn't Kotaku score against their competition had they reported on Kagari's info as well ?

iLLmAtlc

Why the hell not? A rumor is a rumor. Websites like that would suck if they never posted them. There's always a chance they will be wrong, and if you can't handle that you shouldn't be reading rumor articles.

Also I find it offensive that you think you're some kind of authority on what can and can't be posted on a blog.

To me it's a matter of credibility. Guy claimed to have sources and he was willing to post it. So he's either an idiot for believing that source or he's making stuff up. Makes the site look really bad in my books.

If I can draw an analogy to sports there's solid rumour posting and there's garbage rumour posting. Insiders that report rumours that are not yet confirmed but turn out to be true in a few days are the ones who deserve your respect. To me, those are the only types of rumours that should be posted if you consider yourself to be a credible site.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If Kagari heard different things about Versus just recently, clearly there's another avenue to get real info. As a news outlet, how could Kotaku miss or not report another view on the same topic ?

Since Kagari was not assassinated by Sony or SE ninjas, I assume his/her info is not exactly top secret info, or hard to get ?

Wouldn't Kotaku score against their competition had they reported on Kagari's info as well ?

Sometimes information can get lost in the grape vine, so to say. It's not uncommon to get information that doesn't turn out to be true or is only partially true depending on the source.

It isn't going to be cancelled and neither will The Last Guardian. There's no way in hell Square or Sony is going to develop a game for that long and suddenly not to release it. They'll release a subpar version before they outright cancel it.

Persona86

Banned
wasn't that before the world was chopped up into zones?

Hmm I haven't read anything about zones, must have missed it.

But from the trailers you see cars a few times, e.g when they drive to that broken bridge. Which to me suggests that cars play an important theme in the game.

So if they didn't change that aspect I'd guess you can drive cars on roads, and when you get to the country side/forest etc sections (guess you could say zones) you can possibly ride a chocobo instead! ;) ...ah who knows gonna have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom