• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono Tweets New Deep Down Images

JoeFenix

I think this is going to be F2P honestly, all the signs are there. Randomly generated, coop focused, online only and that awful Capcom Online Games logo.

baphomet

Who would have thought a game probably a year away from shipping looks like its in alpha? Did you people really expect footage this early to look like a finished product?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think this is going to be F2P honestly, all the signs are there. Randomly generated, coop focused, online only and that awful Capcom Online Games logo.

I do too. I feel like the random dungeons and possibly lowered scope/budget for the game may have been major contributing factors to the visual downgrade, on top of the obvious reasons.

Amir0x

Banned
no surprise at the downgrade, but it still looks decent (with months and months of visual polishing to go) and I love the concept. Still in.

Edit: Also due to the fact the dungeons are randomly generated, they're likely to remain on the simple side aesthetically. Comes with the territory.

velociraptor

I do too. I feel like the random dungeons and possibly lowered scope/budget for the game may have been major contributing factors to the visual downgrade, on top of the obvious reasons.
Perhaps that explains why the environment looks so lacklustre - everything is randomly generated! If this is a F2P or low budget game, then I don't really have any complaints with the visuals. It doesn't look horrible but it simply needs an extra layer of polish.

orioto

Good Art™
Sorry, but anybody with more than one console generation's of experience knew exactly what the Deep Down trailer would mean in real gameplay terms - and to be honest, all I wanted was Dark Souls 2 with better lighting and textures. I can't read any of these "disappointing" comments seriously, because many of us took it as given that we would see precisely how it would play out. Maybe in four years time the level of detail will be there, but for launch year, this looks pretty good to me.

I'm sorry but.. Some of those screen look way worse than some ps3 games. This is a compilation of the worst post processing effect imaginable, with crappy motion blur, bloom lighting, DOF.... The IQ is abominable at best. In a close environment with basically zero statue or any decoration in it, with not a lot going on on screen...

Just look at Kill ZoneSF, which is a launch game by the way, 1 year early compared to this one. Bigger places with lots of details, great models, iq, and lots of modern shaders everywhere.

Based on that, the game should look more like the original trailer than those pictures, if Capcom wasn't doing something wrong somewhere .. Don't pretend this is what we should be waiting from the PS4 lol..

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Perhaps that explains why the environment looks so lacklustre - everything is randomly generated!

I really think so. Everything in the reveal was posed and modeled specifically whereas the final game is going to just have to generate levels in real time.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
They should not have shown that target render video. I'm sure the game, when all is said and done, will look great. I just don't like the bait and switch the Capcops pulled on us.

velociraptor

I'm sorry but.. Some of those screen look way worse than some ps3 games. This is a compilation of the worst post processing effect imaginable. The IQ is abominable at best. In a close environment with basically zero statue or any decoration in it, with not a lot going on on screen...

Just look at Kill ZoneSF, which is a launch game by the way, 1 year early compared to this one. Bigger places with lots of details, great models, iq, and lots of modern shaders everywhere.

Based on that, the game should look more like the original trailer than those pictures, if Capcom wasn't doing something wrong somewhere .. Don't pretend this is what we should be waiting from the PS4 lol..
I can't believe God of War 3 looks better than Deep Down. But I think we should Capcom time - still a long way off till the game is released. I hear it will be playable at TGS 2013 though. Looks like we will find out in 2 weeks how this really looks on the PS4.

BadTaste

The lighting and the dragon are looking good, everything else looks pretty ugly (his clothing looks low res while his plate armor looks high(er) res.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder if the main guys behind MT Framework are all still at Capcom because they had the start of the HD gen just fucking handled.

Right now it feels like only Kojima and his team are next-gen ready with Fox-Engine and their asset fidelity. This may be the generation where the west just shows just too great a gap between their level of tech know how and every other seemingly dying dev house stuck in Japan.

AngryBird

Banned
They should not have shown that target render video. I'm sure the game, when all is said and done, will look great. I just don't like the bait and switch the Capcops pulled on us.

Yes it's quite misleading I hate when they do that. But they have to show something and I don't get why they made the graphics so good. The current one looks like a gen or 2 behind. Very very far from the T.R

What I'm most surprised by is the number of people who actually believed the original reveal was gameplay footage. I'm seriously baffled how many people had convinced themselves that it was anything more than a tech demo

God, I read the thread as 'Yoko Ono tweets new deep art photos'.

I hope the game turns out great though. A Dark Souls/Monster Hunter mix can be pretty damn good if they do it right.

inner-G

Banned
There's no way they can ship with those ground textures, that's GOT to be placeholder!

There's 8GB of RAM for chrissakes, they should be able to drop some much higher res ones in there

Instro

What I'm most surprised by is the number of people who actually believed the original reveal was gameplay footage. I'm seriously baffled how many people had convinced themselves that it was anything more than a tech demo

I think the main point of contention about the original reveal was whether it was cg or not, which it obviously wasn't.

LCfiner

the thing is, we’ve seen gameplay of stuff that looks about as good. games with incredible textures and facial animations and lighting. See Infamous as an example. that DD tech demo is not unattainable on the PS4.

It’s just that the current build looks shockingly bad with these poor textures. If those are final, it would be really weird. the lighting is still really nice but stones, leather and some things like sand look super flat and missing key detail.

the thing is, we’ve seen gameplay of stuff that looks about as good. games with incredible textures and facial animations and lighting. See Infamous as an example. that DD tech demo is not unattainable on the PS4.

It’s just that the current build looks shockingly bad with these poor textures. If those are final, it would be really weird. the lighting is still really nice but stones, leather and some things like sand look super flat and missing key detail.

Yeah there have been games, actual games, shown that approach that (I don't think Infamous is there but I see later gen PS4 games looking like 99% of the way) but there were so many things like the level of detail, super smooth but impractical animation and how little like a "game" the demo flowed that should have tipped people off

Temper your expectations. The original trailer will likely never be matched this generation.

Man, I think the trailer will easily be surpassed this generation....InFamous: SS and Killzone: SF may surpass it already.

In fact, I expect Naughty Dog to do it next year.

I'm just guessing the studio working this isn't the most technically competent in the world. They are, after all, consulting with Sony for the development.

gioGAF

Looks good. The only thing I'm worried about is the "online only" aspect of this. I hope this game doesn't turn into one of those ridiculous money grab attempts (tons of DLC / micro-transactions).

Hopefully it will be a good value for my money like Dragon's Dogma, and not garbage like Asura's Wrath (true ending dlc) or Marvel vs Capcom (on disc shenanigans).

it's a good thing we are looking at images from the final build of the game, and that it's representative of the quality we'll get at launch in the next few weeks, right guys?

LCfiner

Yeah there have been games, actual games, shown that approach that (I don't think Infamous is there but I see later gen PS4 games looking like 99% of the way) but there were so many things like the level of detail, super smooth but impractical animation and how little like a "game" the demo flowed that should have tipped people off

I think there were several things that people were calling that reveal. some thought it was pre-rendered, some thought it was in engine but just a scripted tech demo, others saying it might have been gameplay.

FWIW, I was in the camp thinking it was in-engine but not actual gameplay, so no AI or anything. But not a demo that was running on some super high end PC or pre rendered CG.

What baffles me is the texture res drop with these new screens. I really hope they’re temporary as they bring everything down. the lighting is just about as good as the original reveal, imo. If they could get the textures back on track - which doesn’t seem like asking a lot - it would get pretty close to that initial reveal

Coiote

Waiting for better footage of this game. I hope that at least the gameplay doesn't disappoint.

Wouldn't complain if the graphics get better near the release, but right know it's the weakest point of this game.

kairu

I still think this game looks very promising. Cant wait to see how it develops. I thought the reveal trailer looked great, but the camera obviously wasnt gameplay. It'd be cool if they could get it a little big closer, though.

Cant wait to see it after they tighten up the graphics on level 2.

Jac_Solar

Second dragon picture looks very nice, but this just reminds me that animation, A.I, etc still has a ways to go and would add a lot more to the overall immersion than any amount of graphics - even if it was photorealistic, as long as the animation cycles are clearly running independently of the environment or the surroundings, it will continue to look fake and unrealistic.

In my opinion, graphic fidelity/quality has hit a point of diminishing returns in terms of immersion or realism, and animation, A.I, etc. is what they need to start focusing on. Even improved gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom