• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now play more than 250 Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One

250 games via BC is a very impressive number and has come a long way from Don Mattrick's like of thinking that you're backwards if you want backwards compatibility.

As someone who invested heavily into PS3 and that ecosystem last gen it sucks that Sony hasn't offered a suitable alternative for us PS3 owners to play our games on PS4 without having to pay for PS Now or PS2 on PS4 games (fucking rip-off is what that is)

I don't care how hard it would be to emulate Cell, get your best engineers and get it done, just like MS did.

Or even let people insert the game disc and use it as a license to play that game via the Now service.

Zeta Oni

Still need more MS....

WP_20160916_11_52_39_Pro.jpg

still been great so far

RootCause

This is pretty cool. It also give potential buyers confidence that their games won't become obsolete once a new gen comes.

If they can keep bc going forward, it would be amazing. One Xbox, to play all the games you bought in previous gens is hard not to consider.

I know it's probably not going to happen for various reasons but I'd love to see them make the entire Xbox catalog available too. I love my 360 games but I'd really like to get back to some of the old Xbox games as well.

munroe

Shame we have to play so many of them with input lag and additional technical issues out the ass though. Getting all 360 titles added should be the goal of course, but MS seriously need to fix a ton of the games they've already added to BC so XB1 at least functions on par with 360 when it's running the same games.

Isn't the process of making a game bw compatible down to the devs?

Agent X

250 games via BC is a very impressive number and has come a long way from Don Mattrick's line of thinking that you're backwards if you want backwards compatibility.

As someone who invested heavily into PS3 and that ecosystem last gen it sucks that Sony hasn't offered a suitable alternative for us PS3 owners to play our games on PS4 without having to pay for PS Now or PS2 on PS4 games (fucking rip-off is what that is)

To be fair, earlier in this generation, Sony did a good job of getting a fair number of downloadable games ported from PS3 to PS4, and adding them into players' libraries at no extra cost through their cross-buy policy. This included some high-profile first-party hits, and they even got several third parties to go along with the program. I'm sure this was one motivation for Microsoft to work on bringing Xbox 360 games to Xbox One.

Sadly, it looks like this isn't a high priority for Sony anymore. While there are still some cross-buy titles coming, they don't seem to be going back to port over older titles anymore, and they haven't done anything for disc-based games.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has gone in completely the other direction. They went from not caring about BC at all, to a position of working hard to get major league third-party games (e.g. Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown) playable on Xbox One.

I don't care how hard it would be to emulate Cell, get your best engineers and get it done, just like MS did.

I agree. Sony really needs to step up and compete. I understand there might be technical difficulties in emulating Cell in a comprehensive emulator encompassing all games. If that's the case, then perhaps they can do what they did last generation with PS2 games on PS3, or what Microsoft did with Xbox games on Xbox 360, and try to get some of the simpler games up and running.

If they can't run the Cell code acceptably under "emulation", then recompile the program or just outright port it over. Yes, this would require an investment of time and resources, but seeing how Microsoft is capable of doing the legwork on their own system, Sony must find a way to match this, no matter what it takes. If Sony cannot follow suit, then I guaran-damn-tee you that a whole hell of a lot of Sony fans are going to think long and hard about whether they want to continue pouring any more dollars to invest heavily in the "PlayStation ecosystem".

Top Bottom