• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play through Wind Waker HD on a First Person perspective

I've never even noticed that.

It's animation related and since they're not redoing animations it's going unfixed. Not a big deal, it's barely noticeable in gameplay. If you notice it though then... you're SOL lol.

Barely noticeable? every time i play wind waker it's there starring me in the face until i get the bigger shield, which is too far!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
tumblr_mpp19oN6Bk1rywvnho2_r1_500.gif

still buying this day one!

Neiteio

^^^ Is that GIF of Link falling over from the WiiU version? Looks good.

Man, this thread is bittersweet because I think back to loving TWW, but these days the Zelda series just seems so tired and outdated. Seeing the text pop up and hearing the midi music is kind of... Meh.

But the art direction still has so much personality, and perhaps tightening up the pacing will work wonders for the strength of the overall game.

Re: Hero mode, how often can you stock up on potions? Do I have to complete an entire dungeon before I can get new potions? At least in Dark Souls there's a bonfire ever 5 minutes (if you know where they are). If four potions are all you get for an entire dungeon...harder than Dark Souls?

Madao

In the Gamespot video it sounds like it to me. I don't know why anyone would expect the soundtrack to change, especially when considering the battle music syncs to the action that's happening on-screen. They didn't change OoT3D's music they certainly aren't going to here.

didn't they use a higher quality sample for OoT 3D's music? the music itself wasn't changed but they upped the quality. that still would make a difference here since the GC was DPLII at most and Wii U has digital audio.

Re: Hero mode, how often can you stock up on potions? Do I have to complete an entire dungeon before I can get new potions? At least in Dark Souls there's a bonfire ever 5 minutes (if you know where they are). If four potions are all you get for an entire dungeon...harder than Dark Souls?

the shop sells potions at any time after they become available iirc. you could do a part of the dungeon, go back and get more potions and then return.

also, Hero Mode in SS had heart drops. they only came from grass or enemies. the only hearts that were removed were those that were growing as plants.

Extra challenge is nice and all, but the most exciting implcation of this for me is the ability to skip cutscenes - if I recall correctly, that was Hero Mode only in Skyward Sword. This game could be speedrun-worthy yet!
Have you not heard of Cosmo?
It's been a while since I've played, but you can get any potion at almost any time as long as you have the funds and/or the jelly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This game looks much better now. I was anyhow going to buy it as I never played the original, but I think the value proposition of the game now is much better, almost worth the price. And October is not here yet, so we might find out more good things.

d31m0s

Excellent. Now how about a $30 MSRP?

Most remakes are full price this is not a simple port with some slightly up rezzed textures it also has the full game unlike some other remakes so it is a remake worth the price unlike alot of those HD collections which are essentially the same looking

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I must be the only person who liked the Triforce chart stuff.

That's interesting. It was hard to really hear the music in the Gamespot video so I don't know, the music sounded the same to me. Maybe they only rearranged some tracks but not all?...

It's not completely rearranged, but there are some notable differences. Try comparing the two here (at around 2:50) and here. If it helps, the HD version sounds a little goofier.

Most remakes are full price this is not a simple port with some slightly up rezzed textures it also has the full game unlike some other remakes so it is a remake worth the price unlike alot of those HD collections which are essentially the same looking
Why is it worth more than the original? What new game content did they add?

Linkyn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
HOW CAN THEY NOT HAVE FIXED THIS!!
y8ew.png

His arm still goes through his shield....
how? would it really be that hard or are they being lazy.
this might be a small thing for most people but it annoys me massively.

I actually always run with drawn sword and shield for epicness, so I don't think I've ever even seen this.

Speevy

Banned
I'm just done with this game. I enjoyed it, but I never thought it needed to be expanded upon. It's pretty, fun, and that's about it.

Darryl

Banned

@hyruletiger
back on my tingle trip, no skeletons can grab me from here hehe #pilotwing #betterthanfox #windisweird #whereamigoing #leafmealone #herooftimeandair

this is hilarious. for some reason the wind waker link is the perfect character to be in some really obnoxious selfie pics.

What ever happened to that rumor, anyway? I guess we'll find out.

the rumor got a little bit more weight lately with target listing it in their system

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's not completely rearranged, but there are some notable differences. Try comparing the two here (at around 2:50) and here. If it helps, the HD version sounds a little goofier.

Hm, sounds like one of the instruments has been changed out. Gotten a bit more accordioney. Though it's a really low quality sample.

Man it's crazy how much like Star Fox 64 the beginning of that song sounds, though. And how much like Pikmin it sounds a little bit later.

So every time you load your save, you can choose between normal and hero mode. This way you can always switch back if it's too difficult. That kind of defeats the purpose of the new mode. There shouldn't be an easy escape.

it isn't selling for more than the original. wind waker released a long time ago. adjusting for inflation the game would likely be cheaper
Talk to an investment banker about inflation, I don't care. All I see is Wind Waker came out for 50 bucks and came with Ocarina of Time and Master Quest as a bonus for preorders, what makes this version more worth it at 60? Message board posts in bottles? Taking pictures of Link? HD visuals? Tri force locations now in the chart areas? A faster boat? A hard mode?

So every time you load your save, you can choose between normal and hero mode. This way you can always switch back if it's too difficult. That kind of defeats the purpose of the new mode. There shouldn't be an easy escape.

You shouldn't punish people for experimentation. It just makes the game more difficult to enjoy. Remember, this isn't a job, it's just a video game; people shouldn't have to stick with the difficult mode if they aren't having fun.

With that being said, a lot of the features - while great - are really things that needed to be in the game in the first place. Going faster in the boat? Improved pacing. Hard mode? improved difficulty. Better Triforce hunt? Improved pacing AND enjoyment. I don't think that it's acceptable for Nintendo to charge us money because they finally did what they were supposed to do.

TWWHD needs to be $40.

Hm, sounds like one of the instruments has been changed out. Gotten a bit more accordioney. Though it's a really low quality sample.

Man it's crazy how much like Star Fox 64 the beginning of that song sounds, though. And how much like Pikmin it sounds a little bit later.

Since they used the original Ocean theme in one of the more recent Nintendo Direct, I'm just assuming it'll be a mixture of original and slightly adjusted music tracks.

Also, Hajime Wakai worked on composing the game. :p

Darryl

Banned
Talk to an investment banker about inflation, I don't care. All I see is Wind Waker came out for 50 bucks and came with Ocarina of Time and Master Quest as a bonus for preorders, what makes this version more worth it at 60? Message board posts in bottles? Taking pictures of Link? HD visuals? Tri force locations now in the chart areas? A faster boat? A hard mode?

if you don't think it is worth it then just don't buy it. i don't understand why you're so obsessed with this game that you see zero value in. this is literally a new game to me and for millions of others as well who chose the PS2 over the GC. this isn't like the other HD remakes where they're just trying to cash out on the nostalgia of original players for already hit games. this is a game that underachieved, was ahead of its time, and is trying to reach a new audience by being modernized.

mrkgoo

The hero mode is a good idea, but I would've preferred a slight balancing rather than the artificial difficulty bump.

Preventing healing out side of potions and heart containers sounds kind of unnatural, and great for an extra mode, but I would've liked just having enemies do more damage and reducing fairy effectiveness.

if you don't think it is worth it then just don't buy it. i don't understand why you're so obsessed with this game that you see zero value in. this is literally a new game to me and for millions of others as well who chose the PS2 over the GC. this isn't like the other HD remakes where they're just trying to cash out on the nostalgia of original players for already hit games. this is a game that underachieved, was ahead of its time, and is trying to reach a new audience by being modernized.
I don't plan on buying it at this price. Where did I say there's zero value in the game? I like this game alot, actually. Just not $60 new alot. All I am doing is questioning the alleged price of the game relative to the very few changes they actually made. No one is stopping you from buying it.

Wind Waker underachieved relative to other Zelda games sales wise, it did still sell pretty well. Just because you've never played the game, it doesn't make it new. You're right it's not like most hd ports that just upres or fix the framerate of a game. But then it's not like most remakes either that actually...remake the game.

jmls1121

Banned
You shouldn't punish people for experimentation. It just makes the game more difficult to enjoy. Remember, this isn't a job, it's just a video game; people shouldn't have to stick with the difficult mode if they aren't having fun.

With that being said, a lot of the features - while great - are really things that needed to be in the game in the first place. Going faster in the boat? Improved pacing. Hard mode? improved difficulty. Better Triforce hunt? Improved pacing AND enjoyment. I don't think that it's acceptable for Nintendo to charge us money because they finally did what they were supposed to do.

TWWHD needs to be $40.

OH GOD, stop it.

No game is perfect. The fact that they are going back and taking time to give people options that some have wanted over the years should be lauded.

Its not like sailing speed or lack of a hard mode broke the game or anything.

Revven

Have they removed the stealth section yet?

Easily most worst part of the game, and it's right at the start.

No and it's really easy to get through. They'd have to redo the entire beginning of the story if they scrapped that part of the game. Doubt they'd do it.

Nerokis

The hero mode is a good idea, but I would've preferred a slight balancing rather than the artificial difficulty bump.

Preventing healing out side of potions and heart containers sounds kind of unnatural, and great for an extra mode, but I would've liked just having enemies do more damage and reducing fairy effectiveness.

Couldn't disagree more. Enemies doing double damage is a solid balance adjustment, because I recall WW having the weakest enemies of all the Zelda games, but I don't see that being enough to have a dramatic impact on gameplay. The removal of recovery hearts, on the other hand, could actually have pretty interesting ramifications. It totally changes the pace of gameplay, and gives bottles/potions a whole new significance (I almost never use potions in Zelda games), which then has an impact on the game's economy.

My understanding is SS's hard mode did the same thing, but I never experienced it.

Revven

The interesting thing to note about potions is that in this game there's also a way to make new potions with the Chu Jellies. So that's yet another mechanic that will see more use in Hero Mode rather than the normal mode.

mrkgoo

Couldn't disagree more. Enemies doing double damage is a solid balance adjustment, because I recall WW having the weakest enemies of all the Zelda games, but I don't see that being enough to have a dramatic impact on gameplay. The removal of recovery hearts, on the other hand, could actually have pretty interesting ramifications. It totally changes the pace of gameplay, and gives bottles/potions a whole new significance (I almost never use potions in Zelda games), which then has an impact on the game's economy.

My understanding is SS's hard mode did the same thing, but I never experienced it.

I love the idea of enemy damage increase.

And I like the hero mode! I agree that it creates a different balance in supplies and pickups.

But that's not what I wanted for the main game. I wanted an better balancing of life and pickups.

Hero mode is a great addition, as I said, but could be just difficult for difficulties sake, as opposed to being fun. You might just creep around saving/loading just to make sure you have enough hearts to face a boss or part of the game. That would not be fun.

Well, maybe fun is the wrong word. I don't mind it being more difficult, I just didn't need an overhaul in game mechanics and economy change. I don't want a dramatic impact on gameplay, just a balancing to make it so that heart containers feel more Valuable. Which they do in hero mode obviously, but not such a dramatic change But it's not a big deal, as normal mode is still there.

So can you change hero mode mid file at any time? I read it as only starting a new file.

illadelph

I think it was Miyamoto that said "what if we did a first person Zelda?" during one of those long interviews last year.

Smart...this game is a good time to try something like that out

If it goes well, Nintendo could possibly try to make a full-on first-person Zelda or expand the mechanics into a Nintendo FPS

No and it's really easy to get through. They'd have to redo the entire beginning of the story if they scrapped that part of the game. Doubt they'd do it.
Yeah, it's not that it's hard, I just think it ruins the pace of the game.

I didn't like the slow ass intro in Twilight Princess either.

Not a deal breaker, it's still a great game.

d31m0s

Why is it worth more than the original? What new game content did they add?

Well it has been significanly upgraded in the grpahics more so than any so called HD remake released most look the same or just slightly up rezzed ala FF10 HD add that to the fact Nintendo always charge full price for remakes if you didnt complain two years ago why now

OH GOD, stop it.

No game is perfect. The fact that they are going back and taking time to give people options that some have wanted over the years should be lauded.

Its not like sailing speed or lack of a hard mode broke the game or anything.

nope

The game doesn't validate $60, especially when its biggest functions are fixing problems from the original game.

And yeah, a lack of difficulty is one of TWW's biggest flaws, actually.

jmizzal

Why? A lot of games let you change difficulty on the fly, no reason Zelda shouldnt do it too

damn it nintendo, just add one dungeon! :/

I much rather them worrying about adding dungeons to the full Zelda WiiU then an HD Zelda remake

Top Bottom