• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play through Wind Waker HD on a First Person perspective

Syf

Banned
This sounds awesome. So happy they shortened the triforce quest. Not sure I'd use the first person view but it's a cool option I guess. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a Wii U for this or not. It's tempting.. Wind Waker is already my favorite Zelda game.

d31m0s

So it qualifies as a remake, now?

Well yes it is a remake by the standards it is being substantially remade unlike ports like MGS HD collection or Jak and daxter trilogy the graphics have been redone in a huge way and many new features justifying it being a remake not a port

Darryl

Banned
I don't plan on buying it at this price. Where did I say there's zero value in the game? I like this game alot, actually. Just not $60 new alot. All I am doing is questioning the alleged price of the game relative to the very few changes they actually made. No one is stopping you from buying it.

Wind Waker underachieved relative to other Zelda games sales wise, it did still sell pretty well. Just because you've never played the game, it doesn't make it new. You're right it's not like most hd ports that just upres or fix the framerate of a game. But then it's not like most remakes either that actually...remake the game.

I don't really think any game is worth $60 nowadays but it is what we're stuck with. The mass market welcomed HD ports with just graphical improvements for $40. If you offered me that product, WW HD with just some graphical touch ups, vs. this for +$20 more with the new features then I'd definitely pick the one with the features. Not even a contest. It's OK that you don't value those as much though because this game is going to come down in price eventually because it's likely going to be a pack-in and pack-ins usually drop in price. If it is just a throwaway experience for you then that should be the perfect scenario.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Good for you? Can I rebut you by pointing out that Nintendo is charging $10 more than the original version and $20 more than nearly every other remake, including KH1.5, which does a damn well more than TWWHD does?

I actually think it's worth $50, but I'm not making a big deal out of it, because I really don't give a shit. I think an argument like "since it's fixing things that were broken, I should not have to pay for their mistakes" is ludicrous. It's like saying a director's cut of a movie is worth nothing because that should have been the cut in the first place. No effort to improve a work is worth money.

These are not bugs being fixed, these are not broken things, errors. They are game design decisions that we can argue about until the cows come home, and many would claim don't actually need "fixing," because they were never "broken" in the first place. But the changes indeed provide for a streamlined experience any way you cut it, and are not corrections of errors that somehow siphon value away.

Honestly, I think the game would be worth $40 with NONE of the improvements to the flow of the game, and literally only the visual upgrade. Because I believe the game itself carries intrinsic value, regardless of age, and the visuals are worth an easy $20 themselves. These tweaks to the overall flow are an effort above and beyond, and I'm happy to dole out extra for them.

Madao

i'll call it an Enhanced Remaster

it is beyond a Port but it isn't the same level as a Remake.

in a Port, the same game is made to run in different hardware with minimal changes. the game is just optimized to run on the new machine. examples: most HD collections, New Play Control Wii lineup.

in a Remake, the whole game is coded from scratch and several parts resemble the original to keep part of the spirit. examples: MGS TTS, Pokemon FRLG and HGSS, Metroid Zero Mission.

in an Enhanced Remaster (as i'm just going to call this), they take an existing game and do several tweaks to the gameplay and graphics that result in a game that is still the same at the core but it is different enough to stand on it's own.

if these were movies, a Port would be when you get a movie in multiple formats, a Remake is when you get a new movie that uses an old one as the guideline (the original Friday the 13th vs the new one) and an Enhanced Remaster is when you get a heavily edited director's cut of an old movie (think Star Wars Ep 4-6 remasters)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
i'll call it an Enhanced Remaster

I've been calling OOT3D a "remaster" for a long time now, I think it's an appropriate term for how Nintendo has been bringing back some of their games. OOT, Star Fox 64 3D, and now Wind Waker. Definitely an effort to improve the game, but at the same time significant effort paid to keep it very close to the original in feel and spirit. Something of a halfway point between port and remake.

Neiteio

I've been calling OOT3D a "remaster" for a long time now, I think it's an appropriate term for how Nintendo has been bringing back some of their games. OOT, Star Fox 64 3D, and now Wind Waker. Definitely an effort to improve the game, but at the same time significant effort paid to keep it very close to the original in feel and spirit. Something of a halfway point between port and remake.
"Remaster" sounds right to me. The core of the game is a code dump. There's not much actually being "remade." But it's remastered in the sense it has the new aspect ratio, new resolution, new lighting and shadow effects... the new input... some balance tweaks and gameplay refinements... and a few genuinely new (albeit relatively minor) features.

I actually think it's worth $50, but I'm not making a big deal out of it, because I really don't give a shit. I think an argument like "since it's fixing things that were broken, I should not have to pay for their mistakes" is ludicrous. It's like saying a director's cut of a movie is worth nothing because that should have been the cut in the first place. No effort to improve a work is worth money.

These are not bugs being fixed, these are not broken things, errors. They are game design decisions that we can argue about until the cows come home, and many would claim don't actually need "fixing," because they were never "broken" in the first place. But the changes indeed provide for a streamlined experience any way you cut it, and are not corrections of errors that somehow siphon value away.

Honestly, I think the game would be worth $40 with NONE of the improvements to the flow of the game, and literally only the visual upgrade. Because I believe the game itself carries intrinsic value, regardless of age, and the visuals are worth an easy $20 themselves. These tweaks to the overall flow are an effort above and beyond, and I'm happy to dole out extra for them.

So really, it's worth $50-60 not because it goes above and beyond the standards of HD versions of games from that era, but because Nintendo made it. Gotcha. 'Dat Nintendo Tax.

TWW would be worth $40 with nothing changed whatsoever? Honestly? You're basically saying that it would be acceptable to charge $40 for a VC title. Now THAT is ridiculous. KH1.5, as I stated before, did things that it didn't need to do to be an acceptable upgrade. If you're happy to dole out extra for them, just send an envelope with a $20 bill to Nintendo. Don't suggest that everyone should be okay with paying $20 more ONLY because Nintendo made it.

jmls1121

Banned
That footage of Link taking selfies is so hilariously awesome. He's smiling for the camera with the f*cking Wind Temple in the background like "just savng the wrld nbd lol." It changes his entire personality, in the best way

EDIT: Oops, I mean ancient Hyrule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3iT13e6KYrQ#t=137

That's the funniest part about it. Zelda is serious business plotwise, and he is mugging for the camera like he is a tourist at DisneyLand.

"ooh, this picture was from the time I was transported underwater to a forgotten kindgom to fight the Gerudo King of Thieves. Look at that guy with his samurai swords!"

Well it has been significanly upgraded in the grpahics more so than any so called HD remake released most look the same or just slightly up rezzed ala FF10 HD add that to the fact Nintendo always charge full price for remakes if you didnt complain two years ago why now
Pretty sure FFX HD has had some significant upgrades as well in the visual department and isn't just a simple upres like you're dismissing it as. I did complain about OoT3D two years ago, actually.

jmls1121

Banned
So really, it's worth $50-60 not because it goes above and beyond the standards of HD versions of games from that era, but because Nintendo made it. Gotcha. 'Dat Nintendo Tax.

TWW would be worth $40 with nothing changed whatsoever? Honestly? You're basically saying that it would be acceptable to charge $40 for a VC title. Now THAT is ridiculous. KH1.5, as I stated before, did things that it didn't need to do to be an acceptable upgrade. If you're happy to dole out extra for them, just send an envelope with a $20 bill to Nintendo. Don't suggest that everyone should be okay with paying $20 more ONLY because Nintendo made it.

Why are you trying to blow up this thread? This thread about new mechanics being put into the remake.

There are like 5 threads on the RUMORED price of this game. Go bitch in there.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Is that in reply to me? I certainly didn't say anything about "Nintendo," I think you might be confused.

Yet again, are you replying to me? I said it's worth $40 with "the visual ugprades." That there are $20 worth of visual upgrades to me, on top of a base $20 price for what would basically be a VC release. Please read my post again.

Branduil

http://youtu.be/3iT13e6KYrQ?t=1m6s

And not only does [the swift sail] increase your overall top speed, but the wind's direction will actually change automatically to match whichever direction you're heading.

the wind's direction will actually change automatically to match whichever direction you're heading.

the wind's direction will actually change automatically to match whichever direction you're heading.

Why are you trying to blow up this thread? This thread about new mechanics being put into the remake.

There are like 5 threads on the RUMORED price of this game. Go bitch in there.

Sorry - was I supposed to consult you on what is acceptable to say? Was I supposed to join in on the Nintendo circle jerk and affirm that these enhancements to the game validate going beyond the typical $40 price point? If so, I'm sorry. I'll seek your permission in the future to "bitch" (most rational adults call it "exercising one's rights as a consumer to criticize a corporation", but I guess they must be the same thing).

Is that in reply to me? I certainly didn't say anything about "Nintendo," I think you might be confused.

Yet again, are you replying to me? I said it's worth $40 with "the visual ugprades." That there are $20 worth of visual upgrades to me, on top of a base $20 price for what would basically be a VC release. Please read my post again.

That's fine, pay what you want.

Don't tell people to not disagree with you. Otherwise your opinion will be derided because you yourself are putting it up for scrutiny.

cafemomo

great read. I've always been interested into in getting into the LoZ series (seriously and not just giving up on the title screen). I think WW will be my first one to actually complete because I simply love the art style and love the thought of traveling around in a boat.

I might jump for that bundle this fall. If not, then I'll settle with the GC one.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
"Remaster" sounds right to me. The core of the game is a code dump. There's not much actually being "remade." But it's remastered in the sense it has the new aspect ratio, new resolution, new lighting and shadow effects... the new input... some balance tweaks and gameplay refinements... and a few genuinely new (albeit relatively minor) features.

Yeah, I like it. I like to think of an actual remastering effort, which is to produce the "truest version" of a source. Like imagine there is some "true Wind Waker" in the nebulous ether out there, but only so much of it could realistically manifest on the GameCube, due to the technology of the era. And now they take that same idea, and polish up the parts they couldn't before. Like how loading the whole ocean in RAM solves the travel speed issues they couldn't overcome originally. Polishing up assets like the clouds, the textures, the lighting, just squeezing as much Wind Waker out of it as they can, with the technology they now have access to, and the perspective granted by the passage of time.

But there is effort to not go so far as to not be the original game any more. When you remember an old game, then actually play it, sometimes you can be shocked by how old and clunky it actually was. I think these remasters are basically trying to re-release those old games, but have the match your memories of them more than the realities of what they were. Same skeleton, same code, same original everything, just shined up real good.

Nintendo remasters I consider to basically "replace" their originals. A remake of a game can stand apart from the original, but a remaster IS the original, just polished to fuck. There becomes effectively no reason to play the original any more.

jmls1121

Banned
Sorry - was I supposed to consult you on what is acceptable to say? Was I supposed to join in on the Nintendo circle jerk and affirm that these enhancements to the game validate going beyond the typical $40 price point? If so, I'm sorry. I'll seek your permission in the future to "bitch" (most rational adults call it "exercising one's rights as a consumer to criticize a corporation", but I guess they must be the same thing).

No its simple internet message board decency which you seem to lack.

I actually agree with you that $60 is $10 to high. But that's not what this thread is about, we don't even know what the pricing of this game is yet, and it seems you are simply uncomfortable with the "nintendo circle jerk" of people being excited for a video game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That's fine, pay what you want.

Don't tell people to not disagree with you. Otherwise your opinion will be derided because you yourself are putting it up for scrutiny.

You seem to replying to ghosts, rather than the actual content of my posts. Did I say not to disagree with me? You authoritatively claimed that the game was not worth $60, I said it was, to provide some counterpoint to the notions you were putting across as ironclad law. Your "nope" in that original post was more of a "no disagreements allowed" than anything I've said since.

I see we'll just be glossing over how your previous post attacked a variety of points I never actually made with a cursory "pay what you want."

jmls1121

Banned
Yeah, I like it. I like to think of an actual remastering effort, which is to produce the "truest version" of a source. Like imagine there is some "true Wind Waker" in the nebulous ether out there, but only so much of it could realistically manifest on the GameCube, due to the technology of the era. And now they take that same idea, and polish up the parts they couldn't before. Like how loading the whole ocean in RAM solves the travel speed issues they couldn't overcome originally. Polishing up assets like the clouds, the textures, the lighting, just squeezing as much Wind Waker out of it as they can, with the technology they now have access to, and the perspective granted by the passage of time.

But there is effort to not go so far as to not be the original game any more. When you remember an old game, then actually play it, sometimes you can be shocked by how old and clunky it actually was. I think these remasters are basically trying to re-release those old games, but have the match your memories of them more than the realities of what they were. Same skeleton, same code, same original everything, just shined up real good.

Nintendo remasters I consider to basically "replace" their originals. A remake of a game can stand apart from the original, but a remaster IS the original, just polished to fuck. There becomes effectively no reason to play the original any more.

I completely agree. And I recall the Iwata Asks about OoT3D stating this as Nintendo's goal.

They did an Iwata asks with Koji Kondo, and they actually re-recorded all the audio tracks, but changed them so they could account for the low amount of bass in a dedicated handheld's speakers. So effectively they wanted to give the same experience but account for the new hardware they would be using.

No its simple internet message board decency which you seem to lack.

I actually agree with you that $60 is $10 to high. But that's not what this thread is about, we don't even know what the pricing of this game is yet, and it seems you are simply uncomfortable with the "nintendo circle jerk" of people being excited for a video game.

Think about this for a second

You responded aggressively to me expressing disappointment in a combination of the too-high price ($40 is the price it should be at) with the features being added.

Can you show any one time where I express discomfort over people enjoying these features? Can you at any point demonstrate that I told anyone that their enjoyment for the price and/or the features? Probably not, since the only two people I've even discussed this with took offense toward the fact that I wasn't comfortable with what Nintendo was trying to sell.

You seem to replying to ghosts, rather than the actual content of my posts. Did I say not to disagree with me? You authoritatively claimed that the game was not worth $60, I said it was, to provide some counterpoint to the notions you were putting across as ironclad law. Your "nope" in that original post was more of a "no disagreements allowed" than anything I've said since.

I see we'll just be glossing over how your previous post attacked a variety of points I never actually made with a cursory "pay what you want."

I don't claim that people who find value in a $60 TWW, or a $50 TWW, to be "authoritatively" claiming things. I see them as people who think that the price is acceptable. But apparently, I'm evoking the bogey man if I dare disagree with this point. That you view my opinion as me declaring "ironclad law" tells me how offended you are that I dare say anything contrary to the Nintendo hivemind.

And my "nope" was in response to being told to "stop it" in respect to expressing my opinion. Oh no, what a monster I am~.

d31m0s

I can agree with this because it is definitely not a port but some people have higher standards for a remake so this seems the best thing to call it

d31m0s

Pretty sure FFX HD has had some significant upgrades as well in the visual department and isn't just a simple upres like you're dismissing it as. I did complain about OoT3D two years ago, actually.

They are significantly noticeable because they effectively over doubled all the textures of the game and they did quite a huge bump there are some other tweaks but largely it still resembles a ps2 version cleaned up but it is still just a resolution bump the textures werent completely redrawn now my only issue is that Nintendo pretty much upgraded everything but the animations i honestly feel every HD game should have animations redrawn to modern standards because i feel animations mean more than shiny new textures.

I don't claim that people who find value in a $60 TWW, or a $50 TWW, to be "authoritatively" claiming things. I see them as people who think that the price is acceptable. But apparently, I'm evoking the bogey man if I dare disagree with this point. That you view my opinion as me declaring "ironclad law" tells me how offended you are that I dare say anything contrary to the Nintendo hivemind.

And my "nope" was in response to being told to "stop it" in respect to expressing my opinion. Oh no, what a monster I am~.

what was the sales of the first game? I imagine that millions who missed out the first time will see this game as worth the price. i think you are probably not the target market unless there is some improvement that will justify the purchase for you. what would it take for you?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Okay you have cited my opinions as being because "Nintendo made it" in numerous posts now, lately with this hivemind horseshit, and I have not said anything that would indicate my opinions are coming from that place. I do not appreciate being lumped with some make-believe strawman so you can invalidate me because I'm apparently a part of it.

You are unpleasant to talk to, and I'm going to stop now.

ccbfan

This is either the least substancial improvements a remake have ever had or the most expensive HD port ever.

Take your pick.

Hell compare this to FFX HD ports this gets destroyed in price and in content (We never got international editions here).

onipex

Well I'm buying this game now. Was waiting to see what was added and what I know now is enough for me to buy it.

Top Bottom