• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your friendly GAF heads up: Don't get HELLDIVERS on Vita

Jarsonot

It's always weird to me when a game is verbally bashed and then gets a decent rating.

Basically, single-player is a boring grind, multiplayer can be fun, but is essentially broken on the vita? 3/5

Those first 3 points are •game turned on, •game didn't explode, •game didn't give you a venereal disease.

nampad

We also had someone saying it was ok in that thread an a video for people to see themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQEKQX5tFc

I posted our review a few hours ago: http://www.selectbutton.com/reviews/helldivers-review/

We aren't going to do a separate review for each version as the content is the same across each platform. Not sure where the Vita hate is coming from, I've played more missions on the Vita than PS4 and have no had a single issue. Yes, the visuals are worse, obviously, but the game still runs smooth and controls great.

edit: lack of sleep = poor grammar in post

Scanna also said the controls are the his biggest issue, which depends on the person:
Actually, most of my gripes with the Vita version are tied to the button layout and lack of precision due to the analogue sticks.
Graphics are too a concern.
As far as frame-rate is concerned, it can get messy at times, but it's not the biggest offender here, tbh.

Sorry Amirox, I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Not saying the port is not bad but we have 2 against 1 in opinions now. Maybe we should wait for more opinions.

Ohnonono

Re-post from the review thread of my impressions:

I played for 2 hours last night on Vita. I played every mission after the tutorial with 3 other people (2 different groups.) The game ran perfectly fine. It did not seem to run any different with 4 people than it did with 1. I played up to level 4 Missions and we had turrets and airstrikes and bugs everywhere and it ran perfect. The visuals are for SURE worse than PS4 (duh) but the game runs amazing and looks way better on screen than on youtube vids.

Fantastic game, had a great time, Vita version is great. If they would just maybe put onscreen buttons or enable control options I would like to switch out the grenade motion, but it works as is. This is NOT a shit port.

I played quite a bit of this last night on my Vita while the PS4 version was running with my friends playing it. Connectivity was fine, and I didn't notice any notable performance issues whatsoever, and I had the PS4 version to reference right in front of me.

I prefer it on the PS4 thanks to what I think is a poor control layout and ugly graphics in comparison, but it certainly didn't seem to run badly enough for me to call it a "shot port." There have been a few of those via Plus in recent months, too, so I'm not just blind to the issues.

Ohnonono

I played quite a bit of this last night on my Vita while the PS4 version was running with my friends playing it. Connectivity was fine, and I didn't notice any notable performance issues whatsoever, and I had the PS4 version to reference right in front of me.

I prefer it on the PS4 thanks to what I think is a poor control layout and ugly graphics in comparison, but it certainly didn't seem to run badly enough for me to call it a "shot port." There have been a few of those via Plus in recent months, too, so I'm not just blind to the issues.

Totally. Crap ports exist on Vita, for fucking sure. I would hate for this thread to scare people away from getting a port that really just "needs" a control patch.

nampad

Totally. Crap ports exist on Vita, for fucking sure. I would hate for this thread to scare people away from getting a port that really just "needs" a control patch.

I can already see people saying the game is shit on Vita because they just read the thread title.

Amir0x

Banned
We're still waiting for video that demonstrates there is not a problem. The videos of the Vita version shown so far demonstrate a poor framerate as best I can tell. That some people are still not bothered by that poor framerate is another thing entirely.

nampad

We're still waiting for video that demonstrates there is not a problem. The videos of the Vita version shown so far demonstrate a poor framerate as best I can tell. That some people are still not bothered by that poor framerate is another thing entirely.

Same could be said the other way around. Some people are bothered a lot by the framerate. Meanwhile, people who only read thread titles or maybe your OP won't know that there are different opinions about the port.

Hanmik

for me the game performed 50/50 on the Vita.. half of the time it would be slowmotion action with 4 people at the same time.. other times it worked "fine", by fine I mean playable, not as good as PS4 but playable..

When I joined a game that allready had 3 people playing the game would be really bad. Once a player died the framerate got better, but got shit when we revived all players.
If I joined a lobby with 1 player in it, then it worked great for me, even when more players joined the fun.
So to me it looks like the LAST player that joins a 4 player match will experience framerate problems. at least that is what I saw all the time.

nampad

Playing the 4 player coop on Vita right now. Runs a bit sluggish but the the experience is not "OMG DON'T BUY THIS GAME I HAVEN'T PLAYED GUYS!"
I was also the last player who joined once.

Controls are fine so far. Sure, I would have preferred buttons for grenades and reload but it works. The should have considered changing up the controls a bit though. Tap instead of swipe, maybe switch melee with reload. Played easy and medium difficulty levels.

I'm just gonna chime in and say that the Vita version runs fine for me playing solo. Even the controls are not a problem at all for me.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet on vita but this version is great if u want to play solo or level up your character at work.

Yes it doesn't look as good as the ps4 version but that was to be expected. It's still the same game.

Foshy

I hope they fix it. I started playing it on PS4 and it's really a lot of fun there, a good Vita version would be amazing.

Gonna try it out for myself later though.

Top Bottom