• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your shitty at home recipes when you've run out of ingredients

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

What are your shitty at home recipes when money is tight or ouve just run out of ingredients?

Quesadizza

Ingredients:
-Tomato based spaghetti sauce
-Shredded cheese
-pepperoni slices (sandwich salami also works)
-tortillas
-olive oil

Steps:
-Put ingredients that arent the tortillas and place them between two tortillas
-heat oil in pan on med. heat
-place quesadilla on hot pan
-flip quesadilla once one side is cooked
-put on plate, cut and serve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Quesadilla

Ingredients:
-american cheese
-tortilla

Steps:
-Put ingredients that arent the tortillas and place them between two tortillas
-heat oil in pan on med. heat
-place quesadilla on hot pan
-flip quesadilla once one side is cooked
-put on plate, cut and serve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sandwich wrap

Ingredients:
-sandwich ingredients that arent bread
-tortilla

Steps:
-Put ingredients that arent the tortilla and place them on tortilla
-Roll tortilla
-Eat and contemplate necessity for a trip to the store to buy bread

Ponn

Banned
Keep pita bread in the fridge. You can put anything on it and throw it in the oven and it will probably taste ok.

AlexMogil

tumblr_ldoe59qMTI1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lm64p2aGLB1qzzd6io1_500.png

RELAYER

Banned
Whenever I try to get inventive in the kitchen, it almost always results in....unfortunate bathroom issues later on.

I can't remember the last time I was so broke I had to throw random ish together. But uh sometimes when I'm hungry but really don't feel like cooking, I'll like throw some rice in the rice cooker.

Well that's a lie, I usually make that well in advance since i like to let my rice soak in water for 5hrs+

I guess when I'm really lazy, I'll slap some cookie butter on toast.

Silky

Banned
Take a pack of ramen noodles, chicken flavored.

Cut up some onions and some jalepeno peppers, and alongside of your noodles boiling, steam up those vegetables.

Fry up a couple of slices of bacon.

season noodles with half of the flavor packaging, and add crushed red pepper, soul seasoning and hot sauce.

Mix em all up.

Boom, dinner.

I just always have eggs on hand.

Omelets. Scrambles. Eggs benedict variations.

This. Go to staple in my house.

I experiment with a lot of Mexican food too (grew up in New Mexico). My super cheap and easy bootleg Chile Colorado is likely an affront to old fashioned Spanish mothers, but it works.

Can of enchilada sauce
Can of tomato paste
Half a packet of McCormick Beef Stew Mix
Beef stew meat
Garlic (to taste)
Chile powder (to taste)

Toss the beef stew meat with flour (season the flour if you like with chile powder, pepper, garlic salt). Brown in a skillet. Toss in a crock pot. Combine all the rest of the ingredients in said crock pot. Cook a day.

Serve with warm tortillas and rice or beans.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ghetto Tomato Soup:

Ingredients:

Water
Ketchup

Steps:

1. Boil Water

2. Mix in Ketchup

Optional: Hot sauce for flavor.

I just always have eggs on hand.

Omelets. Scrambles. Eggs benedict variations.
This is true. My go to poor student food was ramen noodle, soft boiled egg and steamed mixed veg out of the freezer.
The soft boiled egg completely changes everything from flavor to texture of the noodle soup.

Darryl

Banned
blackbean burger soup

you take black beans and squash them up, spice them, make a patty and cook the shit out of it so that it's all sticking together. then you don't have bread obviously so you drain a bowl of ramen noodles and toss it in it.

Loofy

Havent had this in awhile. Now im craving it..

Steamed rice
Milk
Sugar

Tastes better than a bowl of cereal.

Oshimai

This recipe is heavily Asian inspired.

INGREDIENTS:
Rice
Butter
Soy Sauce
Sunny Side Up Egg

PREPARATION:
1. Mix together in a bowl and enjoy.

Or maybe you'll enjoy some white power.

INGREDIENTS:
Box of White Mac 'n Cheese
Frozen Peas
Ham or Bacon

PREPARATION:
1. Follow cooking instructions on the macaroni and cheese box.
2. Cover peas with some water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave the fucking thing for about 3 minutes.
3. Heat some ham or bacon in a pan.
4. When macaroni is cooked, thoroughly mix in the cheese powder, milk, peas and meat.
5. Enjoy something similar to alfredo pasta.

Thought of another one:

Raman Noodle Stir Fry

One or two packages of raman noodles
A bag of frozen veggies
Chicken or pork (optional)
Eggs (optional)
Soy sauce (optional)
Cooking oil (optional)
Butter or margarine

Boil the raman until soft, drain all the water. Do not add flavor packet. While that's going on,stir fry the frozen veggies with some soy or butter or oil, it doesn't matter. I sometimes add garlic. When those are cooked, toss in the drained noodles and a nice helping of butter. Stir that shit all together, letting the noodles get nice and fried. If you add the meat, be sure to cook it separately the same way you did the veggies. Throw that in there. Scramble an egg, throw that in there too. Season everything with the flavor packet (only half if you used soy, that shit is salty)

Healthy? No. Tasty? Yes.

Silky

Banned
Thought of another one:

Raman Noodle Stir Fry

One or two packages of raman noodles
A bag of frozen veggies
Chicken or pork (optional)
Eggs (optional)
Soy sauce (optional)
Cooking oil (optional)
Butter or margarine

Boil the raman until soft, drain all the water. Do not add flavor packet. While that's going on,stir fry the frozen veggies with some soy or butter or oil, it doesn't matter. I sometimes add garlic. When those are cooked, toss in the drained noodles and a nice helping of butter. Stir that shit all together, letting the noodles get nice and fried. If you add the meat, be sure to cook it separately the same way you did the veggies. Throw that in there. Scramble an egg, throw that in there too. Season everything with the flavor packet (only half if you used soy, that shit is salty)

Healthy? No. Tasty? Yes.

Yoo....I should try this right now.

Velcro Fly

I take a couple slices of bread and put some cheese of any kind on them and warm them up until the cheese melts

sometimes i have pizza sauce in a squeeze bottle and I make some struggle pizza. sometimes i have nothing and i just eat a toasted cheese sandwich. they are normally really good but not very filling.

flux1

When I have nothing else I can think of to fix or am too lazy, I make cheese bread.

Take a few pieces of bread, sprinkle shredded cheese on them, broil in the oven a minute or two.

Instant meal.

Shun

Fried Rice

Get rice.

Get all the other leftover shit in the refrigerator.

Throw it all in a wok and fry that shit together with some egg, shoyu, and green onions.

Lazy meal, Avocado Toast.

another one for my broke Gaf homies.

easy mac noodles (dont use the cheese powder)
frozen spinach
milk
sour cream
garlic powder
oregano
pepper
lemon juice

cook it all on the stove top and its like a creamy spinach pasta dish.. if you imagine it is.

johnsmith

remember me
another one for my broke Gaf homies.

easy mac noodles (dont use the cheese powder)
frozen spinach
milk
sour cream
garlic powder
oregano
pepper
lemon juice

cook it all on the stove top and its kike a creamy spinach pasta dish.. if you imagine it is.

Why wouldn't you just use regular macaroni? You can get a big bag for $1.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

EulaCapra

If I'm really desperate to eat-in and have ran out of main ingredients like meat and cheese:

- Boil pasta or rice
- Use a lot of butter and some flour to make a rue
- Add in milk (and/or sour cream/0% Greek yogurt/broth/salad dressing/more butter if all else in not available)
- throw in some last resort stuff like pepperoni, turkey slices, veggies
- season with all purpose seasoning, pepper, parsley
- squirt in a lot of lemon or lime juice
- Throw in chunks of bread or tortilla on top and bake it for a bit

You've got yourself some sort of Zesty Crumbled Pot Pie.

Lotsa recipes like this--this is what we usually eat because we're poor.

First, the classy beverage:

Lime water

Add a shot of lime juice to an empty cup
Fill with tap water
Hope the lime juice disinfected that h20 and didn't just cover up the taste

Divine breakfasts:

San Antonio Bowl

Sautee/stirfry some chopped onion, red bell pepper, and (optionally, when available) sausage and broccoli florets in some oil. Season with cajun seasoning and Valentina hotsauce. Scramble in some eggs, add shredded cheese (optional) and salsa before serving.

Souffle

As above, but move the pan to the oven after adding the eggs and cheese.

The Usual

Eat a couple of tortillas and a small handful of shredded cheese.

Delightful dinners:

Veggie Tacos

Sautee chopped onion and red bell pepper in oil, season with whatever you've got, add beans and corn to the pan. Chop lettuce and tomato on the side--serve hot mix on torillas with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, and salsa.

Enchiladas

This one takes a li'l work. Preheat your oven to 400F. Sautee up some chopped onions, red peppers, and (if available) serrano peppers. Add a can of beans (drained, rinsed, I like to use black beans or ranch style beans), 1 cup of corn (drained), 3/4 cup of salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and a can of chili, stir and remove from heat.

Heat up 12 corn torillas in the microwave for 1:10, wrapped in paper towels. Grease your pan with butter, coat the bottom with enchilada sauce. Add 1/4 cup of the prepared filling to each tortilla, rolling them up and placing them seam-down in the pan. Cover with the remaining filling, 10+ ounces of enchilada sauce, and a cup of cheese. Bake for half an hour, let cook, and please everyone. Tender like tamales <3.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I can't remember the last time I was so broke I had to throw random ish together. But uh sometimes when I'm hungry but really don't feel like cooking, I'll like throw some rice in the rice cooker.

Well that's a lie, I usually make that well in advance since i like to let my rice soak in water for 5hrs+

I guess when I'm really lazy, I'll slap some cookie butter on toast.

cookie...butter?

Dougald

Stir fry some rice with whatever vegetables/meat I have left (and an egg if lucky), and whatever spices are available. If it tastes dull due to ingredients, add hot sauce.

When doing spag bol and I think I'm losing the taste of tomato I add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some seasoning.

Also when you fry bacon and you wanna take it up a notch add a splash of Worcester sauce.

Grakl

fancy instant thai noodle soup

2 packages these (and these specifically)
green onions
sriracha
this garlic sauce
fish sauce
cilantro

first empty the two noodle packages into a bowl. use both flavoring packets, oil packets, and one spice packet. cut up as many green onions as you want, and put them in, along with sriracha, the garlic sauce, fish sauce, and cilantro. boil water, pour in the bowl with all the ingredients, and cover with a lid until the noodles are cooked

gotta stress that specific brand, but I'm sure that this combination of extras works with a lot of instant noodles -- they all meld together really well. this is legit a 'run out of ingredients thing' for me I guess, cause I always have all of this at home (except maybe the noodles themselves), even if I have nothing else

Toast bread, apply liberal amounts of butter, then add garlic salt. Add a bit of lime and/or cheese (usually pepper jack or mozzarella) if there's some in the fridge, as well. Then microwave for a few seconds. Garnish with fresh parsley from the spice garden.

And voila! "Garlic bread."

last one before i go to bed.

heat up some Campbells Tomatoes Soup. take two pieces of bread, butter them, put them together, toast them. cut the bread into small squares and put in soup. take some chedder cheese and put it all over the top of the soup till it melts and forms a cover. there ya go.

Tenck

Cook instant ramen with packet.
Wait for it to boil.
Throw random veggies (I have like 10 bags of frozen brocoli so I use that)
Drain and put in bowl.
Pour a bit of soy sauce.

Only do that when I'm seriously lazy. So like every week without fail ;–;

KHlover

Banned
Need a steak (chicken, beef, pork whatever), if you don't have that use bacon, if you don't have that use grease

Rice

Ham (cut into small pieces)

Whatever you want to throw in (corn is amazing)

1. Cook rice
2. Just before rice is done make your steak in a big pan (don't forget to add some oil)
3. Take out steak when it's done, add ham and corn
4. Add rice and some salt, bake for a few minutes. Done

Terrible english on display here, but basically what you want to do is use the juices released by the steak to add flavor to the rice. Ham and other stuff are for some extra flavor. Absolutely delicious and in my experience impossible to screw up.

NeoRausch

- cook noodles
- slice onion
- throw both in a pan
- smash an egg over it
- fiddle around in it with a spoon while frying

yummy!

Menome

• Boil rice and serve in bowl
  • Add cheese so it melts
  • Add ketchup
  • Stir together