• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Review Thread

Blue-kun

Do you need to have played any of the other Y's games to know what's going on?

No, you don't. There's a couple references to places and some familiar faces that you'd be able to recognize if you played previosu entries, but nothing that will make you unable to understand the story or feel lost over what's happening.

This holds true for all Ys games other than Ys Origin, which is a prequel to Ys I & II and is better played after those. And even then... I think it's perfectly playable without the first two games, it's just there's some actual plot relevance to the previous knowledge as opposed to just trivia.

Also, since someone is bound to tell you, I'll do it myself: it's Ys, not Y's ;) haha.

Interesting that half the reviews feel the story is the weakest part, and half think that the improved story is one of the highlights.

From what I've read, the best part of the story begins halfway in. Padding and what it seems to be a okay-ish localization has also probably negatively influenced the reviewers. People that have beaten the game probably can say more about this.

Tyaren

Thanks! Yeah, if it was downsampling you wouldn't see the jagged edges etc.

:(

It's actually infuriating that they deliberately lock out HDTV users from any Pro enhancements. Native 4k downsampled would look so good...

Alright, not going to support (as in buying) this game if they don't support my PS4 Pro/HDTV setup.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds Celceta better than VIII. VIII just does everything Celceta tried to do, but better. It packs a better story, better characters, combat has been further polished, graphically it also blows Celceta out of the water and so on.

Honestly, I'm a pretty big fanboy of the Ys series, but Celceta was on all aspects something of a low point for it. I don't think the game is bad, mind you, still enjoyed it a whole lot, but it didn't feel like there was that passion behind it as you can clearly see in VIII and Seven. Felt like Falcom just made the game 'cause they needed something to fill in the release gap and Ys IV remake was something that was in queue for a while.

So, yeah, I'd say VIII is leaps above Celceta, and also better than Seven.
Thanks! I now have Ys VIII firmly in my sights. My first and last Ys game was VI on PS2 and was very underwhelmed by it. Never finished it! I also never owned a psp so I couldn't play all the remakes and releases on it.

Blue-kun

Thanks! I now have Ys VIII firmly in my sights. My first and last Ys game was VI on PS2 and was very underwhelmed by it. Never finished it! I also never owned a psp so I couldn't play all the remakes on releases on it.

If it tells you anything, VI is also not a very great game. I'd say VI and Celceta (and V, but V still hasn't got a remake, so I think it's unfair to compare it to the 'modern' ones) are both the weakest in the series, lol. You also played the PS2 version, which was kinda ugly compared to its PC counterpart, which I'm sure didn't help any.

I hope you'll enjoy VIII, though. Compared to VI, I guess you'll notice right away that presentation has improved a lot, and that the game itself takes its 'RPG' part a lot more seriously with a bigger focus on the plot and story. Be sure to post away with impressions and what not when you go through it~

If it tells you anything, VI is also not a very great game. I'd say VI and Celceta (and V, but V still hasn't got a remake, so I think it's unfair to compare it to the 'modern' ones) are both the weakest in the series, lol. You also played the PS2 version, which was kinda ugly compared to its PC counterpart, which I'm sure didn't help any.

I hope you'll enjoy VIII, though. Compared to VI, I guess you'll notice right away that presentation has improved a lot, and that the game itself takes its 'RPG' part a lot more seriously with a bigger focus on the plot and story. Be sure to post away with impressions and what not when you go through it~
Yeah I played the PS4 demo yesterday I can tell already how much improved it is (I hate the female party member's outfit with a passion tho). And I liked what I saw so far. I'm knee deep on Zelda still but an Ys game is on my radar for the first time in more than a decade.

Blue-kun

Lol, what? VI isn't weak. Now V is weak...

VI's saving grace for me is that it actually has one of the most relevant plots in the overall Ys 'lore', but as a game it's... very rough. Sure, you gotta respect it for basically introducing the gameplay style that gave us Felghana and Origin, but both of those games refined the experience tenfold. Playing VI nowadays is sort of painful, and the whole gimmick with the swords wasn't very fun, ESPECIALLY when it was used for platforming which was just a nightmare overall on that game.

That said, even though I do think the plot is nice, the actual bosses and stuff are also some of the most forgettable. The final boss in particular is like, a decent concept, but it looks so damn lame, and the battle itself is just terrible. Add to it the fact I find VI's soundtrack to be like the worst one in the series (aside from V's, but V simply doesn't have Ys music, it's... something else) and yeah, not a fan.

I do agree that V is bad though, it's just V is the same old V from the SNES era. Whenever Falcom gets around to remaking it, I think there's a fair chance I'll end up preferring it over VI. Although I'll tell you this -- I don't think V is a bad game in general, it's just a bad Ys game. It doesn't play awfully nor is it awful in any of the things it tries to do, it just commits the sin of not really having anything that made Ys famous. Could be named anything else and no one would notice, lol.

PS2 port of Ys VI (let alone the one for PSP) is disappointing for sure, and not representative of the releases we've gotten since 2010. The game itself's pretty good, though I dislike/hate most of its bosses and wish dash-jump wasn't required to nab the cool stuff in Ruins of Lost Time.

Oneself

It's actually infuriating that they deliberately lock out HDTV users from any Pro enhancements. Native 4k downsampled would look so good...

Alright, not going to support (as in buying) this game if they don't support my PS4 Pro/HDTV setup.
I want to support a new Ys release on a current gen platform in NA... But the half-assed Pro support makes me hesitant.

iavi

Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games of all time. But YS has been steadily down hill for me since.

Is this more Celceta, basically?

Blue-kun

Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games of all time. But YS has been steadily down hill for me since.

Is this more Celceta, basically?

It's better Celceta. Take that as you will. Still party system, still a lot of story, still flash guard/flash move and so on, so forth.

But it's much better Celceta, really.

TORN between vita and PS4. what is the gospel ?

I have celceta on vita + portable is nice... but I barely get it out now...

any tip ? / should know of ?

iavi

It's better Celceta. Take that as you will. Still party system, still a lot of story, still flash guard/flash move and so on, so forth.

But it's much better Celceta, really.

Hmm, I'm not too sure on that. Celceta was definitely better than 7, but still with horrid pacing due to that garbage story.

But, hell. Knowing me, I'll be buying the game, regardless. PC version for me.

Blue-kun

Hmm, I'm not too sure on that. Celceta was definitely better than 7, but still with horrid pacing due to that garbage story.

Haha, if you think Celceta's better than Seven, then maybe we're not too alike in our ~Ys taste~. But well, on the upside, this game really is 'bigger Celceta', in that it does the same kind of thing with regards to exploration, like the charting and what not. It's just it also does that a lot better, as the map is bigger, more varied, prettier and all that.

TORN between vita and PS4. what is the gospel ?

I have celceta on vita + portable is nice... but I barely get it out now...

any tip ? / should know of ?

As for this...

Now, for your second question though, it depends. The PS4 version adds a couple dungeons for Dana, along with a few boss fights. These flesh out her story a bit more, but for the most part it's... well, backstory. It won't really change any of the plot and the Vita version will give you a perfectly fine version of the Ys VIII plot for what it is. Other than the dungeons and the story, PS4 also has different 'attack forms' for Dana, which the Vita version lacks, as well as a new difficulty mode, Inferno. Inferno is harder than Nightmare, the highest you can select on the Vita, and features enemies that hit harder and are sped up. I think these are probably the main differences, so if you think you'd be fine sacrificing the 60 FPS/more backstory for the game on a portable system, go for it.

I posted on another thread the other day, but I bought it in japanese as soon as it came out and the game is a really, really great looking PS Vita title. I had the feeling I was playing something special on that system, which the PS4 version obviously can't replicate as even though it's 60 FPS and boasts high res, at the end of the day is still limited by what Falcom can do.

Granjinha

I'm still playing it but i'm finding it legit great. The combat is amazing, the soundtrack is amazing, everything is amazing.

Falcom <3

preta

The way I like to put it, VIII takes from the best ideas that Seven and Celceta had and does them all better than either of those games ever did (along with plenty of new stuff). I'm someone who thought Celceta was on the lower end of the series, but VIII is easily my favorite.

Theswweet

VI's saving grace for me is that it actually has one of the most relevant plots in the overall Ys 'lore', but as a game it's... very rough. Sure, you gotta respect it for basically introducing the gameplay style that gave us Felghana and Origin, but both of those games refined the experience tenfold. Playing VI nowadays is sort of painful, and the whole gimmick with the swords wasn't very fun, ESPECIALLY when it was used for platforming which was just a nightmare overall on that game.

That said, even though I do think the plot is nice, the actual bosses and stuff are also some of the most forgettable. The final boss in particular is like, a decent concept, but it looks so damn lame, and the battle itself is just terrible. Add to it the fact I find VI's soundtrack to be like the worst one in the series (aside from V's, but V simply doesn't have Ys music, it's... something else) and yeah, not a fan.

I do agree that V is bad though, it's just V is the same old V from the SNES era. Whenever Falcom gets around to remaking it, I think there's a fair chance I'll end up preferring it over VI. Although I'll tell you this -- I don't think V is a bad game in general, it's just a bad Ys game. It doesn't play awfully nor is it awful in any of the things it tries to do, it just commits the sin of not really having anything that made Ys famous. Could be named anything else and no one would notice, lol.

We'll have to agree to disagree. For what it's worth, I feel like people massively overstate how Ys VI has aged. It's still a great game, and even if the gameplay isn't quite as fast-paced or smooth as OiF or Origin it's still great. Also, I take offense to the idea that its soundtrack is "the worst in the series"!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We'll have to agree to disagree. For what it's worth, I feel like people massively overstate how Ys VI has aged. It's still a great game, and even if the gameplay isn't quite as fast-paced or smooth as OiF or Origin it's still great. Also, I take offense to the idea that its soundtrack is "the worst in the series"!

It's one of the worst Ys games in the "modern " set of games. It has a few good tracks but it's ost is pretty weak in comparison to other games in the series as well

I thought it was a good game, really fun. I liked the characters and loved the setting and thought the story was interesting, even if the final arc was rushed. Dash jumping was both frustrating and hilarious for me, it would have been a different story if it was used frequently in various dungeons, but most of it was focused in only one. I also prefer the sword system to the spell based of Felghana and Origins.

Honestly putting it in perspective, it was the most enjoyable Ys for me untill Seven. And I played it after Origins but before Felghana, so it's not like I didn't realize its shortcomings compared to those two. It's just that the setting and story took the edge for me -I still liked a lot both Felghana and Origins, at the end its just a matter of preference-

Conezays

Hmm, already have copies of Ys Origin and Ys Book 1 & 2 for PC Engine coming in the mail, but this looks interesting as well. Sigh.

killroy87

I admit, I'm pretty ignorant to the Ys series. I haven't ever really played one. I'm blown away at the critical reception this has been getting. Looking at past titles, this one really seems to be a big leap forward for the series. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and try this out!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Surprised by the reviews honestly, I remember reading some disappointing impressions on this a few months back.

VII and Celceta were the best of the Ys games so far, and it looks like VIII continues that upward trend. Can't wait.

Surprised by the reviews honestly, I remember reading some disappointing impressions on this a few months back.

VII and Celceta were the best of the Ys games so far, and it looks like VIII continues that upward trend. Can't wait.

People who were disappointed in this game definitely wouldn't agree with the bolded though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's wrong with Ys VI? I replayed it like a year or so ago and it didn't feel dated to me at all.

Coming from a nightmare playthrough only perspective *and original releases* The back tracking was ass, and it has by far some of the worst designed bosses in the series. In a series I consider amazing for it's bosses. The OST is very hit and miss and the last boss is a worthless piece of shit. Where Ys 1 has the dumbest last boss, Ys 6 has the most worthless one weak ass final boss theme too

With that said it's still an Ys game so it will still blow most Action RPGs out of the water

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is this the best Ys yet?

Depends if you want to break it down by gameplay style or not. From what I've seen and played and heard this will be that. But my time with it is only the demo.

My personal opinion on the series is

Seven > Origin > 2 > Oath > Celceta > Ark > 1

And this feels like what 7 wanted to be for me so far

Someone talk me towards PS4 or Vita version. Portable is a really big selling point for me right now but I understand that the PS4 has more content and probably runs better due to hardware

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Someone talk me towards PS4 or Vita version. Portable is a really big selling point for me right now but I understand that the PS4 has more content and probably runs better due to hardware
The only reason to not get the ps4 version at this point is that if playing nonportable just isn't in your time table.

killroy87

Random question. Is this a good "podcast game"? Meaning, is it the kindof game i can turn the sound down on, and kind of just grind out for awhile while i listen to podcasts? I don't mind if there is some story stuff, but some games (like Yakuza) pretty much require full attention whereas some other JRPGs can be pretty passive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Random question. Is this a good "podcast game"? Meaning, is it the kindof game i can turn the sound down on, and kind of just grind out for awhile while i listen to podcasts? I don't mind if there is some story stuff, but some games (like Yakuza) pretty much require full attention whereas some other JRPGs can be pretty passive.

If you play on nightmare and inferno sure, you are gonna want to grind some levels and items for crafting. Though the music is so damn awesome it's kind of a waste to mute it :)

Wagram

VII is one of my least favorite (I still like it though), but Celceta improved on it massively for me, and it looks like VIII is continuing that even more.

Can't wait!

DxD

Banned
VII is one of my least favorite (I still like it though), but Celceta improved on it massively for me, and it looks like VIII is continuing that even more.

Can't wait!

Same.

Celceta on the Vita brought me back to the series.
Watching all those gifs of perfect dodge and block really got me all hyped up last night about 8.
I think 8 will potentially be my favorite if the battle system looks that fast paced.

I like the demo, but I think I'm gonna have to switch around the face buttons. X to attack instead of Square just doesn't feel right

Top Bottom