• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Review Thread

I like the demo, but I think I'm gonna have to switch around the face buttons. X to attack instead of Square just doesn't feel right
Yeah, I basically had to redo the majority of the buttons because I was just fumbling around with how awkward they felt. They give you a LOT of control when configuring them, however, so I was able to set it up the way I wanted. :)

Anyway, I want to get the game but I just don't know... I really can't afford to sink time into another RPG like this. Damn these demos!

MrCinos

Damn, seeing the scores I hoped for decent to good writing/dialogue, but it seems like it's subpar at most. I'd probably get it one day anyway. Steam sales should do its work and on a really rare occassions I do want to play something gameplay-heavy. Is Ys SEVEN better in that regard?

Blue-kun

Damn, seeing the scores I hoped for decent to good writing/dialogue, but it seems like it's subpar at most. I'd probably get it one day anyway. Steam sales should do its work and on a really rare occassions I do want to play something gameplay-heavy. Is Ys SEVEN better in that regard?

If anything, the writing, localisation non withstanding, is better in VIII than it is in Seven. Far more fleshed out characters. That said, Seven does have going for it the fact that it's shorter, like half the length of VIII. So maybe you find it a bit more bearable?

Skulldead

I've tried the demo yesterday, tell me that the inferno difficulty feel a lot more balance then the demo in the real game ? (probably) Because getting 2 shot all the time will get fast on my nerve....

Also the default control are horrible, a chance we can change it. X attack ? Triangle to lock-on, wtf ! Other then that i was pretty suprise for that quality from a Vita game port. Can't wait my collector's edition !

Blue-kun

I've tried the demo yesterday, tell me that the inferno difficulty feel a lot more balance then the demo in the real game ? (probably) Because getting 2 shot all the time will get fast on my nerve....

Also the default control are horrible, a chance we can change it. X attack ? Triangle to lock-on, wtf ! Other then that i was pretty suprise for that quality from a Vita game port. Can't wait my collector's edition !

I suspect you'll get less 2KOs later on, as your characters get stronger and access to better equipment, but then again you can just not get hit. You-all see once you master the controls and get a hit for the game that it really isn't that hard to do it, aside from bosses. And if you really want to play Inferno and find it difficult, then just use potions and warp back to save points to recover health or revive characters.

Also, as far as I know every button in it is remappable, so you can do whatever in regards to that. Though I played it to completion on the Vita with triangle for locking on and I have no complaints about that one, haha. X for attack is a different beast tho.

bomblord1

Banned

What exactly did you expect on inferno difficulty?

You can change them in the options menu. It was the first thing I did when I saw them. Default ones are terrible

Skulldead

What exactly did you expect on inferno difficulty?

I've beat every Y's game on Nightmare(except oath of felghana, the final boss was just impossible for me even with intense grinding) , i remember them to be hard, but not getting 1-2 shot all the time. Ys7 and the vita one wasn't that difficult on hardest difficulty too, just grind a little and thing get fine. It was very challenging, but nerver frustrating. I'm pretty sure with levelling and crafting it will be easier then the demo, i was just asking to validate :).

Ascheroth

I've beat every Y's game on Nightmare(except oath of felghana, the final boss was just impossible for me even with intense grinding) , i remember them to be hard, but not getting 1-2 shot all the time. Ys7 and the vita one wasn't that difficult on hardest difficulty too, just grind a little and thing get fine. It was very challenging, but nerver frustrating. I'm pretty sure with levelling and crafting it will be easier then the demo, i was just asking to validate :).
Inferno is one difficulty above even Nightmare (unless 8 is different) : )
And it's Ys :p

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Demo was great!!! Loved the combat, music and graphically it looks amazing on my PS4 Pro and 4K set. I dont know if it has Pro benefits, but damn it looks pretty! Demo definitely sold me on it, i just have to get time to play it with my current 5 mile backlog lol

Rolling Start

Neo Member
I posted up my own review last night: http://jrpg.moe/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-review-ps4/ (4.5/5)

I was a bit disappointed by how much Seven and Celceta dragged in places, so I when I heard how long Ys VIII was I was worried it'd be the same way. All of the extra bits in the PS4 version do a good job of breaking up the usual gameplay in fun ways rather than just serving as padding.

Now if only the localisation were better...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

You beat Nightmare Yunica but couldnt beat the last boss of Oath? wut

But by default you are naturally stronger so stuff will 2 shot you to make things fair once you get a few levels and gear they go from 2 shotting to 3 shotting. But seriously the parry and dodge absolutely let you go to town on stuff just doing it once in a crowd of guys I don't really see the issue of it 2 shotting you specially when you have 3 characters and you can just retreat back to a regen crystal

MikeBison

So, errr I watched reviews and wasn't particularly impressed (never played a Ys game before) but downloaded the demo and I can instantly see the appeal. Combat feels AMAZING and the sound track is lit.

So, someone hook a brother up with how to get a physical copy in the uk please? Amazon U.K. Just says unavailable.

Ugh, this is going to be such a hard game to hold off on. I just don't have the time right now for this.

There's just a bit of extra content in the PS4 version right? Can I transfer my save back and forth, or is it completely one or the other. I know I can do remote play, just wondering if the PS4 version is far more superior
I really don't care about graphics that much

Theswweet

Ugh, this is going to be such a hard game to hold off on. I just don't have the time right now for this.

There's just a bit of extra content in the PS4 version right? Can I transfer my save back and forth, or is it completely one or the other. I know I can do remote play, just wondering if the PS4 version is far more superior
I really don't care about graphics that much

Coming from someone who has played both versions, go PS4. The new content is significant.

theofficefan99

YS VIII also has my favorite opening of all Ys thus far.

I really happy they switch it up from the usual ones.

Yeah I'm glad Falcom finally has the budget for properly animated cutscenes (well, mostly just for the openings). I was never a fan of their in-house animation which, quite frankly, looks like Flash animation. I couldn't even watch Celceta's opening; it looked really bad IMO. I think the only time their animation looked nice was for the openings in Ys I & II, but I don't think that was in-house.

Also I know absolutely no one will agree with me on this, but aside from the Olha and Isha beach scene, I enjoyed the CG cutscenes in the Ys VI PS2 version.

Yeah I'm glad Falcom finally has the budget for properly animated cutscenes (well, mostly just for the openings). I was never a fan of their in-house animation which, quite frankly, looks like Flash animation. I couldn't even watch Celceta's opening; it looked really bad IMO. I think the only time their animation looked nice was for the openings in Ys I & II, but I don't think that was in-house.
They actually contracted the Flash-like OP animation for games like Seven, Celceta, and Trails of Cold Steel (II), and they only provided their own promo art since they're too short-staffed to make the OPs themselves. Same goes for whoever Falcom's contracting to make these much more expensive and ambitious OPs, which I didn't ask for but don't mind (unless it's so pricey that they're cutting corners in more important places).

I'm kinda regretting going for the Vita version now after trying the PS4 demo (that framerate!) and seeing additional content not included on handheld. Too late to change it, though, I've preordered the LE via NIS months ago before I even had a PS4. On the other hand, I've played most of my Ys games on Sony handhelds and this might be one of the last Vita retail releases that truly interest me. Do I need to worry about limited availability for the PS4 version if I plan on getting that a few months later or next year sometime? Anyway, glad to see the overall positive reception and truly looking forward to this, even on my good old Vita!

Weird you cant preorder already just a week away

Game looks great, and I love the artbook pictures they show clicking through the DLC link

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still super fucking stoked that this is coming out on GOG. Just hope I finish Yakuza Kiwami before this launches.

Danny Dudekisser

Preorders went up for PC -- both Steam and GOG. I went GOG, obvi.

It's a full $60 release on PC, as well, so... yeah. Curious how well this'll do.

Shizuka

Preorders went up for PC -- both Steam and GOG. I went GOG, obvi.

It's a full $60 release on PC, as well, so... yeah. Curious how well this'll do.

PC gamers have been clamoring for day-and-date simultaneous releases for years - that's usually what it costs, full retail price.

Dice//

Banned
https://www.destructoid.com/review-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-458300.phtml

So Destructoid's review.... the review is good...but the writing itself?
Zgff8Ar.gif

Here's the first line:
Have you ever heard of the name Adol Christin? If not, Adol just so happens to be the hero of the many Ys games since 1987 and he’s an adventurer who keeps finding himself in all sorts of adventures.

I too enjoy being an adventurer for adventures.

Danny Dudekisser

PC gamers have been clamoring for day-and-date simultaneous releases for years - that's usually what it costs, full retail price.

Just seems weird for a Falcom game to launch at $60, though... in part because most of the games released up to this point have either been older, or portable games. I get the feeling that a lot of people weren't expecting that.

Tonton

Just seems weird for a Falcom game to launch at $60, though... in part because most of the games released up to this point have either been older, or portable games. I get the feeling that a lot of people weren't expecting that.

There's a PS4 version going for $60 too so idk why would anyone else expect any less than that

Tohsaka

Well the PS4 version just released in Japan not even 4 months ago, so it's a new game. No reason for it not to be full price.

Eusis

This is an actual new game, why would it be discounted. Plus it's pretty easy to see on the production value side of things for this game is a lot more grand than the older rereleases
It probably is lower budget than a lot of games at that price point. . . But isn't THAT low budget, and is selling to a more limited audience. So yeah, it was always going to be $60 especially when the likes of Disgaea go for that these days. If you subscribe to Humble Monthly you can hope they list it there (the Humble Store) though.

Shizuka

It probably is lower budget than a lot of games at that price point. . . But isn't THAT low budget, and is selling to a more limited audience. So yeah, it was always going to be $60 especially when the likes of Disgaea go for that these days. If you subscribe to Humble Monthly you can hope they list it there though.

I really, really doubt that's happening anytime soon.

Ascheroth

This is an actual new game, why would it be discounted. Plus it's pretty easy to see on the production value side of things for this game is a lot more grand than the older rereleases
Yeah, easily Falcoms best looking game. Looks better than the recent Tales games imo.
I really, really doubt that's happening anytime soon.
He's saying you get an extra 10% if you're a Monthly subscriber and it's sold on the Humble Store.
(Yes, it actually is sold on the Humble Store)

Blue-kun

So Destructoid's review.... the review is good...but the writing itself?
Zgff8Ar.gif

Here's the first line:

I too enjoy being an adventurer for adventures.

I... think it was supposed to be a joke? I mean, I know I laughed when I went through that part the first time around, but maybe people just clearly aren't as easily amused as I am, haha.

And yeah, $60 is pretty much expected for this game, what with it being what the PS4 ver. goes for and stuff. But it packs enough content that I find the price to be perfectly reasonable.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Loved the demo, and i'm 95% sure im gonna pick this up when it's out. Reading one of the reviews (sixth axis i think..) mentions a "Mandatory tower defence mini-game" as a negative saying that the game will randomly popup an alert that forces you to stop what you're doing and go to this minigame.

For those who have finished this, how often does that happen, and is it hard? I really don't play those type of games and don't want to get caught up in it forecefully if necessary.

Ascheroth

Loved the demo, and i'm 95% sure im gonna pick this up when it's out. Reading one of the reviews (sixth axis i think..) mentions a "Mandatory tower defence mini-game" as a negative saying that the game will randomly popup an alert that forces you to stop what you're doing and go to this minigame.

For those who have finished this, how often does that happen, and is it hard? I really don't play those type of games and don't want to get caught up in it forecefully if necessary.
I think 'tower defense' creates a misunderstanding.
It's just you fighting against a few waves of enemies like you fight against all other enemies, just that there a few stationary objects you have to defend.

Probably the wrong thread for it but since there's not an official Lacrimosa thread I'll ask here. When does NISA usually ship stuff? Should I expect to be playing Ys VIII at launch, or will it be a few days later?

Top Bottom