• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana US + EU Demo

BigEmil

Is this demo up on the NA PS Store yet? I can't seem to find either Ys8 or Knack 2 demos! I can see Danganrompa V3 tho. What gives, GAF?
Knack 2 is definitely there in the top of the demo section in na psn maybe Ys there too or type it in search

Blue-kun

Lol I just noticed they spelled Lacrimosa wrong on the PS4 home screen.

Yeah, someone pointed that out earlier, seemed to be a thing on the EU version of the demo, but no one confirmed if it was also present in the US one. That said, another guy popped up to say that the final version -- review copy -- had it fixed (on his EU copy) lol.

You can do it in the demo too, I ended up moving attack to square, jump to X, lock on to L2, dodging to R2, items to triangle, switch to circle, and adventure gear to L1. Felt a lot nicer to play for me that way.
FFXV taught me that you should never play an RPG where the jump button is the same one as the confirm button.

There are some very obvious vines that seem inviting to use to climb to the second floor but I can't seem to latch into them. Are they climbable? And if so, how?

Edit: there are definitely more vines inviting to be climbed but I can't seem to figure out how!

There are some very obvious vines that seem inviting to use to climb to the second floor but I can't seem to latch into them. Are they climbable? And if so, how?

Edit: there are definitely more vines inviting to be climbed but I can't seem to figure out how!

Keep going, you'll find something that will help out navigating with that later in the demo. :)

It is 60 FPS, no way it could be anything else considering it's basically based on a Vita game originally, haha. But yeah, it runs at 60FPS, very smooth, very fluid, very pretty.

Yes a rock solid 60 too from what I've played.
Thank you, was debating on PC or PS4.
Also, I did not know Y8 was a vita game originally.
Edit: I can't even reach PS Store, now I am beginning to believe I may be IP banned or something. Recently switched to Verizon Fios.
Edit 2: Opened link through Microsoft Edge & it worked. Seems to be something up with Google Chrome.

Blue-kun

Thank you, was debating on PC or PS4.
Also, I did not know Y8 was a vita game originally.
Edit: I can't even reach PS Store, now I am beginning to believe I may be IP banned or something. Recently switched to Verizon Fios.
Edit 2: Opened link through Microsoft Edge & it worked. Seems to be something up with Google Chrome.

Well, I say originally because the first version of the game came out on the Vita. For all intents and purposes, it does seem to have been developed with the Vita in mind. But Falcom touched up the PS4 version quite a bit, anyhow. Features better textures in general, better... everything, really. 60 FPS, extra content, a new difficulty mode that's exclusive to PS4 (Inferno) and so on, so forth.

That said, if you're into portable gaming, the Vita version is no slouch either. Sure, 30 FPS, missing some of the extra content, but it's a hell of an impressive game running on that Vita hardware. At the end of the day there's really no going wrong here, depends on what are your priorities :p

duysieuhero

Neo Member
giphy.gif

anddo0

Enjoyed the demo immensely. I played via remote play on PC (super smooth) I miss games like this.

I'm not sure if it's day one. But PC version for sure.

Keep going, you'll find something that will help out navigating with that later in the demo. :)
Found it. Enjoyed this demo. The one and only Ys I've played was VI on PS2 and I never beat it because I thought it was pretty mediocre. It wasnt until years later I learned that that game was probably the worst Ys game!

jb1234

Found it. Enjoyed this demo. The one and only Ys I've played was VI on PS2 and I never beat it because I thought it was pretty mediocre. It wasnt until years later I learned that that game was probably the worst Ys game!

Nah, VI isn't so bad. I mean, V is certainly worse.

jb1234

I'd say 6 is the second worst of the "modern" stuff, with Ys1 being the worst just because the last two bosses suck and the back tracking is ass towards the end

Ys1 is at least mercifully short, as far as those things go. By the time I was starting to get annoyed by it, it was over. ;)

Now that I've had my hands all over it... it's freaking glorious

That's really good. The only thing to be wary about from my end is the translation. I heard it was a low-tier NIS garbage translation that was bad enough to weaken the game but not bad enough to make it not worth it because of the music, the gameplay, and the otherwise exceptional Kiseki-style story.

Well, I say originally because the first version of the game came out on the Vita. For all intents and purposes, it does seem to have been developed with the Vita in mind. But Falcom touched up the PS4 version quite a bit, anyhow. Features better textures in general, better... everything, really. 60 FPS, extra content, a new difficulty mode that's exclusive to PS4 (Inferno) and so on, so forth.

That said, if you're into portable gaming, the Vita version is no slouch either. Sure, 30 FPS, missing some of the extra content, but it's a hell of an impressive game running on that Vita hardware. At the end of the day there's really no going wrong here, depends on what are your priorities :p

*with drops.

PS4 targets 60fps and maintains that target consistently, Vita targets 30 and has trouble maintaining it. Like you say it's still an impressive title given the hardware.

Blue-kun

*with drops.

PS4 targets 60fps and maintains that target consistently, Vita targets 30 and has trouble maintaining it. Like you say it's still an impressive title given the hardware.

Yeah, of course. I did say it in a bunch of previous posts before, haha. But still, the drops are hardly really bad outside of a couple places, and even then, eh. At the end of the day I'm just really taken by how the game overall performs much, much better than Celceta, even though it looks nothing like that one. It's miles ahead and even then surpasses its performance with ease, especialy when you consider what it does.

Quite often while playing it on the Vita I had that 'wow, they got this working so well in this sytem', which unfotunately is never replicated with the PS4 version. I dunno, maybe this doesn't do much for a lot of people, but for anyone who values portability I still think the Vita version is totally worth it and a very, very impressive piece of tech.

Oreiller

That's really good. The only thing to be wary about from my end is the translation. I heard it was a low-tier NIS garbage translation that was bad enough to weaken the game but not bad enough to make it not worth it because of the music, the gameplay, and the otherwise exceptional Kiseki-style story.

Nah, it's a pretty standard localization quality-wise from what I've seen.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Pretty sure they took this down off the US store....i looked all over last night and couldnt find it. I even went to the game page itself on the store via search which is where youd normally find the demo and it wasnt there.

Did they add the Blue chick from the title screen into the game for this rerelease or was she in thisbgame from the getgo in Japan when it launched last year on Vita only?

Did they add the Blue chick from the title screen into the game for this rerelease or was she in thisbgame from the getgo in Japan when it launched last year on Vita only?
She had mostly story moments in the Vita release, just not a lot of chances to play as her in action sequences/stages. PS4 adds in all the Dana content Falcom originally made but couldn't fit onto a Vita cart for their Japanese release.

She had mostly story moments in the Vita release, just not a lot of chances to play as her in action sequences/stages. PS4 adds in all the Dana content Falcom originally made but couldn't fit onto a Vita cart for their Japanese release.
Cool!

I figure the localized Vita game is the same as the OG JP release with limited blue chick right?

cwistofu

I'm confused, why are R2 and L2 opening up the menu even though I set them to different things?

This default button config is a little horrendous tbh.

Top Bottom