• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It happened last generation. Some of you are completely ignoring history.

Look, I think DQXI is coming to Sony platforms. But it's funny how the thought of that not being the case seems so impossible to some of you.

SE want to revitalize the console scene earnestly, that's why they are investing so much into the one platform that is doing the best. And PS3 which a lot of people still have. Its easy to see it as PS4/PS3 at this point.

Big One

Banned
What hardware issue makes the first game being on PS3 and the second on Vita but not Wii U?
With the Wii U you have to develop the game with the touchpad in mind, which eats up resources in of itself since you're effectively running the game with two different screens. Plus there's also the possibility that Sony gain exclusivity rights to Dragon Quest Heroes (and considering it's coming to Vita, that's likely the case).

SE want to revitalize the console scene earnestly, that's why they are investing so much into the one platform that is doing the best. And PS3 which a lot of people still have. Its easy to see it as PS4/PS3 at this point.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

It's still funny to see people shocked at even the idea that DQXI could be on a Nintendo platform.

I actually think NX makes the most sense for DQXI, as it's going to be sold in both a home console and handheld form (most likely, anyway). It would be the best of both worlds for DQ. Probably not happening though, as this game is likely pretty far along in development.

Guymelef

With the Wii U you have to develop the game with the touchpad in mind, which eats up resources in of itself since you're effectively running the game with two different screens. Plus there's also the possibility that Sony gain exclusivity rights to Dragon Quest Heroes (and considering it's coming to Vita, that's likely the case).

So you started saying that the Wii U is the correct choice because the install base are bigger than PS4 but now releasing DQH 2 on Vita is due to Sony moneyhats, Ok...

Arzehn

Well I hope everyone is happy when they announce the platforms. Hopefully it's PS3/PS4/NX(console)/WiiU. Honestly sick of the bickering of whether or not Nintendo or Sony have DQ. I just want the series to do well so SE continues to focus on home consoles and keep their mainlines there. Would be tragic to see the 11th mainline installment fail commercially.

Probably a hardware issue and possibly other unknown factors. Regardless even in terms of spinoffs the Dragon Quest series has been consistent in this regard.

IF it's going to be on a current gen system, it's more than likely going to be on the Wii U. I mean yeah the PS3 is a possibility as well and likely, but with Square's shift into current gen exclusivity with games like KH3 and FFXV, I'm not expecting the PS3 to get DQ11 which is just as high priority as those are. FFXV and KH3 are worldwide juggernauts, while DQ11 is onyl a juggernaut in Japan and will be made suited for Japanese needs.

Plus with Nintendo's insistence of stating they aren't abandoning the Wii U anytime soon, do not be surprised if Nintendo strikes a deal yet again like they did with DQ10 and make DQ11 exclusive to their systems.

Even with this long winded explanation I don't know how you can possibly be so sure that the game ending up on Wii U, exclusively no less, instead of PS4/PS3 or 3DS, when there is absolutely nothing that suggests this to be a possibility or even remotely plausible.

You don't seem to realise that cash means nothing if your console is selling poorly. Nintendo aren't at liberty to be making deals for DQXI exclusively on Wii U. The Wii U needs it more than Square Enix needs the Wii U.

It won't be a Wii U game.

They had a worldwide approach on PS2 and DS as well, and they got little in return.

Again, you don't build a market overseas overnight. Let me put it this way - do you think MH4U would have done as well as it did in NA/EU if MH3U hadn't released in 2013? If Square Enix can actually start releasing DQ games consistently overseas then they might start seeing that return.

Inuhanyou

I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

It's still funny to see people shocked at even the idea that DQXI could be on a Nintendo platform.

I actually think NX makes the most sense for DQXI, as it's going to be sold in both a home console and handheld form (most likely, anyway). It would be the best of both worlds for DQ. Probably not happening though, as this game is likely pretty far along in development.

NX is a completely unproven entity in any regard, we as speculators don't even know what it is. Wii U is a failure for anything that isnt Nintendo related.

I think if it were to come to any Nintendo platform, it would be 3DS. But i doubt that as well, since that means redoing the entire game for that handheld's level of power. If they wanted to go the easy path in regards to Japanese only fanbase, i'm assuming they would have just made it on 3DS to start.

Big One

Banned
So you started saying that the Wii U is the correct choice because the install base are bigger than PS4 but now releasing DQH 2 on Vita is due to Sony moneyhats, Ok...
However you may feel, all I'm saying is do not expect the game to be some type of high budget, next gen game or else history will repeat itself and people will get disappointed yet again. Just like they did when Dragon Quest 9 and 10 was announced. People thought those games were going to be on PS3/360 and guess what? They weren't.

maxiell

If you read the interview in French, they specifically talk about what it was like to develop for the PS4 with Dragon Quest Heroes. They decided to downport the thing to PS3 late in development, so they suggest the final product took true advantage of the PS4, and was not held back by cross gen development.

You can get some idea of where they are intending to take the mainline series from there.

NX is a completely unproven entity in any regard, we as speculators don't even know what it is. Wii U is a failure for anything that isnt Nintendo related.

I think if it were to come to any Nintendo platform, it would be 3DS. But i doubt that as well, since that means redoing the entire game for that handheld's level of power. If they wanted to go the easy path in regards to Japanese only fanbase, i'm assuming they would have just made it on 3DS to start.

I really don't think it'd hit 3DS at this point. If it were a 3DS game, it probably would have been announced by now.

By the way, again, I don't think DQXI is coming to NX. I think it's very likely to be on PS3 and PS4. I just think NX would make the most sense going by the current Japanese market, due to it likely being available in both a handheld and home console form. Obviously, this is speculation, but most of the rest of this thread is as well.

Vena

Do you honestly believe the PS4 won't have overtaken the Wii U by the time DQ XI releases? Especially with all those JRPGs that were recently announced?

Depends on when it comes out, what moves Nintendo does with the WiiU/Splatoon this holiday, and what the handful of meaningful PS4 releases accomplish in Japan this year and when/if/what anything starts releasing next year.

Splatoon has stopped the gap contraction dead in its tracks for near two months.

People are still doubting that this is coming for consoles even though several people have point out that that's explicitly what he said? I'm 99.999% certain that this isn't coming out on anything other than PS3 and/or PS4.

KoopaTheCasual

Depends on when it comes out, what moves Nintendo does with the WiiU/Splatoon this holiday, and what the handful of meaningful PS4 releases accomplish in Japan this year and when/if/what anything starts releasing next year.

Splatoon has stopped the gap contraction dead in its tracks for near two months.
If you said that a couple months ago in Media Create, you'd be outright laughed at, and yet here we are. Splatoon really is doing magic for the Wii U in Japan.

Shauni

People are still doubting that this is coming for consoles even though several people have point out that that's explicitly what he said? I'm 99.999% certain that this isn't coming out on anything other than PS3 and/or PS4.

But as others have pointed out, it's not explicitly what he said, it was something inferred by the interviewer, unless a much more official translation has been released that I missed at some point.

But as others have pointed out, it's not explicitly what he said, it was something inferred by the interviewer, unless a much more official translation has been released that I missed at some point.

What about this?

When the topic of Dragon Quest‘s future came up, Horii said development of Dragon Quest XI is advancing towards the series’ 30th anniversary, which is in 2016. He also said he wants to play it on a big screen, suggesting the game is in development for console (rather than smartphones). A specific platform was not revealed.

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/dragon-quest-xi-development-underway

Aeana

Horii has been saying various versions of "the game will be on consoles, not mobile, and not an MMO" for quite a while now but people are always looking for a reason for those things not to be true. Shrug.

Shauni

I already talked about this earlier as well. Here's my post about it:

As someone explained to me earlier, he does not explicitly say it's a home console, but home is inferred by the interviewer since he refers to DQIX on a 'portable' and then XI as being on a 'console' (the assumption being it's less meant as a generic term since he specified portable previously), and he says being designed for a controller as opposed to just buttons.

It's much like the "bigger screen" comment he made months ago. I mean, sure, there is some kind of inferring to take back from it, but people are jumping the gun on it as any kind of full confirmation based, I think, on the fact that many are hoping it'll be a home console title as opposed as a handheld one and looking at every word a producer says as coded gospel that must be deciphered.

I'm not saying that it won't come to consoles, but this really isn't a "confirmation" of it, nor is the comment you mentioned. People are just so jumpy on the subject, they want any bit of information.

I'm so ready for a new DQ. I'd love to see it on ps4 but I would be happy enough to have it on WiiU.

Don't really want to play a game that big on a handheld...but I will if I have to.

Loudninja

I'm not saying that it won't come to consoles, but this really isn't a "confirmation" of it, nor is the comment you mentioned. People are just so jumpy on the subject, they want any bit of information.
Come on now.

Shauni

Come on now.

I mean, sorry? Am I wrong? Does anything there or here explicitly say "home consoles?" Has there been an official translation of this interview were Hori explicitly specified home consoles (a serious question, because I may be wrong). Again, you guys get too jumpy about this subject.

Horii has been saying various versions of "the game will be on consoles, not mobile, and not an MMO" for quite a while now but people are always looking for a reason for those things not to be true. Shrug.

I don't think anyone is disputing that here, the discussion is more focused on whether the consoles in question will be home console, handheld, or both.

Kyoufu

I mean, sorry? Am I wrong? Does anything there or here explicitly say "home consoles?" Has there been an official translation of this interview were Hori explicitly specified home consoles (a serious question, because I may be wrong). Again, you guys get too jumpy about this subject.

I don't think anyone is disputing that here, the discussion is more focused on whether the consoles in question will be home console, handheld, or both.

Horii has been saying DQXI will be on the big screen.

I don't know what else he could say without outright announcing the game officially.

DQX WiiU still has IQ and frame rate problem (worse on Wii)
I guess it's time for them to move on

My PC which got a very high score on their benchmark test has screen tearing and frame rate problems, and I am not alone. So those issues have more to do with their lack of optimization.

Aeana

My PC which got a very high score on their benchmark test has screen tearing and frame rate problems, and I am not alone. So those issues have more to do with their lack of optimization.

In the full version of DQ10 PC I get a solid 60 FPS basically everywhere unless I'm in a very, very populated area like Megastolis. But that's normal for an MMO, no matter how it looks.

Kanann

He (Horii) want it to be on "big screen"

iPad

or

Television
choose!

In the full version of DQ10 PC I get a solid 60 FPS basically everywhere unless I'm in a very, very populated area like Megastolis. But that's normal for an MMO, no matter how it looks.

The newest patch (3.0b) has draw distance option for PC and WiiU

said goodbye to Megistolis lag

Shauni

Horii has been saying DQXI will be on the big screen.

I don't know what else he could say without outright announcing the game officially.

I'm not saying that DQXI won't be on consoles, but that statement doesn't say that it will neccessarily be on big screens, it goes back to what I said here:

It's much like the "bigger screen" comment he made months ago. I mean, sure, there is some kind of inferring to take back from it, but people are jumping the gun on it as any kind of full confirmation based, I think, on the fact that many are hoping it'll be a home console title as opposed as a handheld one and looking at every word a producer says as coded gospel that must be deciphered.

And you guys can lower your shields haha. I'm not saying that DQXI absolutely won't come to consoles, just that there's not really confirmation of it, yet, nor confirmation that it will be exclusively home console based and not on a handheld as well.

But your comment doesn't actually address what he's referring to when he says big screen if he's not referring to consoles. If he's not referring to a console, then what is he referring to? We now have two comments from him as far as platforms go, one saying that he wants to play it on a big screen and the other saying that it'll be on consoles. It's easy to see why people would think that it would be on home consoles after that. And that's not confirmation bias when you combine those two things. Could it be on a handheld? Obviously, I mean if you look at the recent DQ8 announcement it's not hard to see why that's still a possibility. But there's no doubt that Horii has hinted quite heavily at it being released on home consoles this time around.

Interesting. Are you on the "highest quality" setting?

Shauni

But your comment doesn't actually address what he's referring to when he says big screen if he's not referring to consoles. If he's not referring to a console, then what is he referring to? We now have two comments from him as far as platforms go, one saying that he wants to play it on a big screen and the other saying that it'll be on consoles. It's easy to see why people would think that it would be on home consoles after that. And that's not confirmation bias when you combine those two things. Could it be on a handheld? Obviously, I mean if you look at the recent DQ8 announcement it's not hard to see why that's still a possibility. But there's no doubt that Horii has hinted quite heavily at it being released on home consoles this time around.

You miss my point. He may not even be giving "hints" about what platform the game will even end up on. I'm not sure what the context of the whole interview, but he could just giving his personal preference, even if means he may make another business decision. It goes back to what I said about people treating everything a producers says as some kind of puzzle that must be solved.

I mean, hell, if you want to go deep into that comment, he says he wants to play it on a big screen, but he doesn't say he wants to play it on big screen instead of a small screen, so the possibly of a cross console-handheld release is still possible.

Like OrbitalBead said, it's kind of crazy how some of you think it's like some kind of literal impossibility that DQXI could wind up on a handheld or Nintendo platform. I'm not saying it will or won't, I'm mainly just addressing the fact that people are treating a lot of things as gospel right now when we don't have anything official as of yet.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest games are typically announced at their own events, so they could announce it literally at any time.

Oh i see thanks. I really hope they officially announce it before the end of this year.Hopefully with a trailer.

old

Noooooooo! I wanted to see Japan further undermine their own biggest franchises by switching them to dying genres on dying platforms.

An MMO in 2012? On the Wii?!...The Wii in 2012?! Now that's a commitment to seppuku. That's a level of self-sabotage that would make even an English football team jealous. (They just beat Germany while I typed this but I'm keeping the line.)

You've got to follow this through Horii. Stick to the plan. FarmVille peaked in like 2005, a decade ago right? Perfect. DQ11 needs to be FarmVille clone exclusively on the PSP Vita, Blackberry, and the OUYA platforms.

beril

I would have preferred 3DS. Don't really care for another DQ8 style game which I assume this means. Dragon Quest works much better with a topdown view and less focus on cinematics.

I would have preferred 3DS. Don't really care for another DQ8 style game which I assume this means. Dragon Quest works much better with a topdown view and less focus on cinematics.

You can change the camera for top down view(hehe)

I prefer full 3D entries.

Agree on the second point though.

To be fair, they inferred it from the fact portables don't use controllers.

I know we can go back and forth like this indefinitely but my point is, even if a bit was lost in translation, this just adds to the pile of signs of Horii wanting a DQXI on home consoles. While we're discussing details, I feel we're missing the bigger picture and the message Horii conveys here: he's designing games with specific formats in mind and for DQXI, he wants a controller and a big screen.

I'm insisting on his will because we collectively tend to reduce DQ to the old "wherever it will sell" but if they were driven by current market dynamics, they'd go mobile. Except that's not the game he wants to make.

I have no idea how they'll balance this out economically and this might sound like a vanity project but the guy has been making them lots of money for almost thirty years so he's probably got some leeway.

That doesn't necessarily exclude a portable downport or any home console, mind you.

Also, if they feel the interview was not faithful and jumped to conclusions, I'm certain SE can issue a statement.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious to see if Horii's "some small things might happen" about remakes is going to pay off in next week's announcement as the interviewer hypothesizes.

Shauni

To be fair, they inferred it from the fact portables don't use controllers.

Right, as well as him specifying DQIX as being on a portable and DQXI as simply console (I believe you were the actually the one who clarified that for me earlier maybe? Memory fails me).

I know we can go back and forth like this indefinitely but my point is, even if a bit was lost in translation, this just adds to the pile of signs of Horii wanting a DQXI on home consoles. While we're discussing details, I feel we're missing the bigger picture and the message Horii conveys here: he's designing games with specific formats in mind and for DQXI, he wants a controller and a big screen.

I'm insisting on his will because we collectively tend to reduce DQ to the old "wherever it will sell" but if they were driven by current market dynamics, they'd go mobile. Except that's not the game he wants to make.

I have no idea how they'll balance this out economically and this might sound like a vanity project but the guy has been making them lots of money for almost thirty years so he's probably got some leeway.

That doesn't necessarily exclude a portable downport or any home console, mind you.

Also, if they feel the interview was not faithful and jumped to conclusions, I'm certain SE can issue a statement.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious to see if Horii's "some small things might happen" about remakes is going to pay off in next week's announcement as the interviewer hypothesizes.

And that's fair. Like I said, I'm not trying to devalue the idea of DQXI coming to a console. I think there's real possibility, but I think it's always best to er on the cautious side when it comes to information that isn't super clear and explicit. Too easy to set one's self up for disappointment in doing that.

beril

Do you honestly believe the PS4 won't have overtaken the Wii U by the time DQ XI releases? Especially with all those JRPGs that were recently announced?

If it's coming next year (big if) then no. It'd have to do about 12k more than WiiU on average each week. Right now it can just barely reach that number alone; ignoring WiiU sales totally. It will take a long time to close the gap.

And PS3 will be very old even by Dragon Quest-standard by the time it launches, so spreading it out over all available platforms would make sense. Not saying it will happen though.

Inuhanyou

As someone who says DQ8 is probably the best DQ game out there, this post has all my wuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom