• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering he amount of support on the PS4 I going to assume atleast the PS4.

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes 1
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
World of Final Fantasy
Nier 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XIV
Not to hate on any of these game but it's not going change the situation in Japan. There is no "comeback" for traditional console. These games won't bomb and boost hardware but that about it. I just feel like this time and effort could be spent elsewhere. To what I don't know.

crinale

Yeah I know it's not up to Nintendo, but doesn't mean that can't/aren't talking to Square.

I mean DQ has had these platform switches before (VII to PS, XI back to Nintendo), but if I was in Nintendo's position, I would be trying to continue to secure these games because frankly, they need all the help they can get at this point.

If that's the case DQH would have been multiplat, including WiiU me thinks.

yazanov

Banned
Yeah I know it's not up to Nintendo, but doesn't mean that can't/aren't talking to Square.

I mean DQ has had these platform switches before (VII to PS, XI back to Nintendo), but if I was in Nintendo's position, I would be trying to continue to secure these games because frankly, they need all the help they can get at this point.

There isnt a room for further growth of the Wii U / 3DS and both of them have peaked imo. There is no reason to waste money to securing Dragon Quest unless they just want to cock block the PS4. Nintendo is smarter than that and would rather secure the new DQ for its next system.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TGS is gonna be insane.

This and DMC5. Believe.

Is this the first time DQXI has been mentioned by name?

Kensuke

Not to hate on any of these game but it's not going change the situation in Japan. There is no "comeback" for traditional console. These games won't bomb and boost hardware but that about it. I just feel like this time and effort could be spent elsewhere. To what I don't know.

I think the big hitters like Final Fantasy XV and KH3 will definitely move consoles in Japan. Then there is also stuff like MGSV and SFV. Individually they might not make a huge difference, but the hope is that the whole slate might make PS4 desirable in Japan.

I doubt it will happen though.

Personally id rather have one last hurrah than just fade away without these games.

sörine;170869070 said:
That's because 3DS makes much more straightforward business sense. There are still strategic arguments for PS3/4 though.

Well, yeah. But my point was that there were and still are people saying it'll be on 3DS or makes most sense to be on 3DS even though he's more or less confirmed it won't be.

We're on the same page mate :p

Zekes!

If that's the case DQH would have been multiplat, including WiiU me thinks.

True enough. The 3DS is still getting the mainline remakes though with VIII.

There isnt a room for further growth of the Wii U / 3DS and both of them have peaked imo. There is no reason to waste money to securing Dragon Quest unless they just want to cock block the PS4. Nintendo is smarter than that and would rather secure the new DQ for its next system.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it would be for Wii U, it would definitely be for NX (if it was coming to a Nintendo platform) unless that thing is still a long ways off. I mean that'd be a decent way to launch a console in Japan.

Ultimately I think the PS4 makes a lot of business sense, and wouldn't be surprised to see it go there. I just don't think Nintendo is a complete write off at this point.

Hugstable

Banned
Personally id rather have one last hurrah than just fade away without these games.

Yup! I'd rather have these games than have nothing at all. Don't care if it's a comeback or not, I'm just happy to get alot of RPG's that have a possibility of being good coming from a developer who wasn't releasing very much console wise last gen.

xaszatm

Banned
How has Dragon Quest done in the areas of production? Like, i know the games have always been successful in Japan (with varying degrees of success outside it) so it's considered a success but the series, especially post PS1-era, never struck me as a series that required a lot of production values graphically.

Another question I'd like to know is how the DS and 3DS remakes (and IX) did. If they are still successful on that platform, I don't know if XI will just skip Nintendo consoles entirely (though I clearly see why). Until I see those, I don't think I'm informed enough to give whether or not the game is a PS4 exclusive or a Wii U exclusive (doubt it though) or a multi-platform.

Also, IX is the best for gameplay, V is the best for story, fight me. :p

crinale

You have the point too. That's why situation is quite difficult to predict.
As for know I still think mainline DQ may end up 3DS but another spin-off (not DQH) is coming to PS4.

I've heard the rumor saying Horii was not sure whether he should make DQX (or OG 9 with ARPG element, I forgot details) as the mainline or spin-off.

yazanov

Banned

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it would be for Wii U, it would definitely be for NX (if it was coming to a Nintendo platform) unless that thing is still a long ways off. I mean that'd be a decent way to launch a console in Japan.

Maybe the NX wont be a traditional console and most publishers are kept in the dark with regards to its specifications to prevent leaks.

Also, its not ideal to develop a main line Dragon Quest game for a new, fresh system that has yet to get the approval of the general public. Where as the PS4 is already well established successful market leader where the bulk of S-E games are being released on.

Makes no sense to release DQ 11 on the NX for now.

sörine

Banned
Well, yeah. But my point was that there were and still are people saying it'll be on 3DS or makes most sense to be on 3DS even though he's more or less confirmed it won't be.

We're on the same page mate :p
Sure, but that's because the business case for 3DS is so much stronger than PS3/4, even now. Until it's actually confirmed there will still be people believing SE could/should follow the same logic. And it's not like 3DS is yet unlikely given everything it has going for it in terms of Japanese audience and DQ franchise releases.

I think it's going to be PS3 (JP) and PS4 (WW) based off hints and comments from the creators and insiders, and I suspect Sony made some grand backroom dealings to make that happen. I also expect it's likely going to sell less than DQIX worldwide too.

Yup! I'd rather have these games than have nothing at all. Don't care if it's a comeback or not, I'm just happy to get alot of RPG's that have a possibility of being good coming from a developer who wasn't releasing very much console wise last gen.

Exactly, we would all be bummed if japan and the traditional console market doesn't make a comback but still if it doesnt we can atleast look back and say they tried instead of wondering what if.

L Thammy

I'm sure someone posted it already, but:

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: Daikaizoku to Shippo Dan (2011)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D (2012)
Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle (2012)
Dragon Quest VII (2013)
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (2014)
Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (2014)
Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi (2015)
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (2015)

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (2015)
Dragon Quest Heroes II (TBA)

Not trying to use this as proof of anything, since Horii's obviously in charge here. But it's kind of weird that the 3DS has been prepped as the Dragon Quest system for this generation if that's not where the game's going to go.

I think the big hitters like Final Fantasy XV and KH3 will definitely move consoles in Japan. Then there is also stuff like MGSV and SFV. Individually they might not make a huge difference, but the hope is that the whole slate might make PS4 desirable in Japan.

I doubt it will happen though.
Yeah. They will do respectable business same Mario kart and smash did for the wii u.
Oh of course. I'm just not getting my hopes up for the "return of Japan" until its here.

Oregano

Maybe the NX wont be a traditional console and most publishers are kept in the dark with regards to its specifications to prevent leaks.

Also, its not ideal to develop a main line Dragon Quest game for a new, fresh system that has yet to get the approval of the general public. Where as the PS4 is already well established successful market leader where the bulk of S-E games are being released on.

Makes no sense to release DQ 11 on the NX for now.

Not in Japan, which is coincidentally DQ's main market.

Even being super charitable and assuming DQXI on PS4 doubles western sales and doesn't lose Japanese sales we're still looking at 80% of sales in Japan.

KZObsessed

PS4 is pretty much a given considering it's the market leader and square enix's focus this gen.

With DQXI as well, PS4's future line up of Japanese games is better than I could have dreamed of before this generation started. So amazing to see.

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI(?)
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Shenmue III
The Last Guardian
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
World of Final Fantasy
Persona 5
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Nier 2

And if the rest of the stuff Verendus has hinted at comes true like Suikoden VI, Final Fantasy VII spin off, Final Fantasy X spin off, Final Fantasy XII Remaster it's gonna be a fantastic generation for a lot of us.

L Thammy

What could they do to secure this game? A series like Dragon Quest is going to sell by the truckload no matter what platforms it hits, barring maybe absurd things like Ouya exclusivity. There are people who don't play video games that play Dragon Quest.

In a case like this, I don't think there's much a platform holder if the platform decision has already been made. The amount of money you'd have to spend would probably be ridiculous.

PS4 is pretty much a given considering it's the market leader and square enix's focus this gen.

With DQXI as well, PS4's future line up of Japanese games is better than I could have dreamed of before this generation started. So amazing to see.

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI(?)
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Shenmue III
The Last Guardian
World of Final Fantasy
Persona 5
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Nier 2

And if the rest of the stuff Verendus has hinted at comes true like Suikoden VI, Final Fantasy VII spin off, Final Fantasy X spin off, Final Fantasy XII Remaster it's gonna be a fantastic generation for a lot of us.

In west though. In Japan, it's far from it. Now it all depends on what aim SE with DQXI. And when such title would be coming out.

RPGamer92

Banned

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI(?)
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Shenmue III
The Last Guardian
World of Final Fantasy
Persona 5
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Nier 2

Also Level 5's game and Tales of.

How has Dragon Quest done in the areas of production? Like, i know the games have always been successful in Japan (with varying degrees of success outside it) so it's considered a success but the series, especially post PS1-era, never struck me as a series that required a lot of production values graphically.

Another question I'd like to know is how the DS and 3DS remakes (and IX) did. If they are still successful on that platform, I don't know if XI will just skip Nintendo consoles entirely (though I clearly see why). Until I see those, I don't think I'm informed enough to give whether or not the game is a PS4 exclusive or a Wii U exclusive (doubt it though) or a multi-platform.

Also, IX is the best for gameplay, V is the best for story, fight me. :p

DQIX is the most successful entry in the series by far. It sold 4.3m + around 300k through the budget version; DQVII was slighlty above 4m and DQVIII around 3.8m units.

DS and 3DS remakes also sold quite well. SQEX shipped around 1.3-1.4m for each one of them. DQ Monsters remakes on 3DS sold 1m and 800k units.

BadWolf

In west though. In Japan, it's far from it. Now it all depends on what aim SE with DQXI. And when such title would be coming out.

It does sell in Japan when a game that they like releases, the problem thus far has been that those games have been scarce. That looks to be changing though.

Zekes!

What could they do to secure this game? A series like Dragon Quest is going to sell by the truckload no matter what platforms it hits, barring maybe absurd things like Ouya exclusivity. There are people who don't play video games that play Dragon Quest.

They could offer to publish in the West, the same as they did with IX, and take up all those localization costs and marketing.

I mean, it's been a minute since IX, and X was passed over, but if XI is a more traditional game, it wouldn't be as risky as X.

It does sell in Japan when a game that they like releases, the problem thus far has been that those games have been scarce. That looks to be changing though.

It sell decently at best. People are too much used to bad numbers in media create threads. That's why SE is looking to revitalize it. Now it remains to be seen to how much. In its current state, PS4 isn't able to sustain a release such as FFXV or DQXI. That's why we're getting early announcements.

crinale

They could offer to publish in the West, the same as they did with IX, and take up all those localization costs and marketing.

I mean, it's been a minute since IX, and X was passed over, but if XI is a more traditional game, it wouldn't be as risky as X.

This is why I want know the details of DQ7/8 localization. As I mentioned earlier if SE did all this alone this is the sign of them willing to handle Western market by themselves, for once again.

SparkTR

Well to be fair, it's still going to be scarce for a long while. I'm confused why so many of those games are seemingly so early in production or are years away from release. Are they expecting the PS4's sales to be extremely backloaded in Japan?

Hugstable

Banned
And if the rest of the stuff Verendus has hinted at comes true like Suikoden VI

I refuse to believe that the company going through what Konami is going through and how they've been handling console gaming projects is just going to go and make a niche RPG like Suikoden out of nowhere, especially after the series has been on hiatus so long. I'm a huge Suikoden fan and I would explode if the series came back, but this just seems so unrealistic to me

Wereroku

Huh. That is definitely news to me! I may have to try it out. Either way is fine with me! I prefer my shield due to actual triggers though.

Yep they recommend being in home for quality reasons but you can use it over any internet connection.

RPGamer92

Banned
I refuse to believe that the company going through what Konami is going through and how they've been handling console gaming projects is just going to go and make a niche RPG like Suikoden out of nowhere, especially after the series has been on hiatus so long. I'm a huge Suikoden fan and I would explode if the series came back, but this just seems so unrealistic to me
I asked him if Konami was still doing Suikoden a couple months after the Kojima rumors and he said yes.

Oregano

sörine;170873627 said:
Not to the degree of SE though. Especially if they're sacrificing DQ to try and drive the platform, you don't see Capcom doing that with MH or Level 5 with YW.

...yet.

sense

sörine;170873627 said:
Not to the degree of SE though. Especially if they're sacrificing DQ to try and drive the platform, you don't see Capcom doing that with MH or Level 5 with YW.

yet :) i don't want to get started on mh and derail this thread but they are doing a new mh frontier game from the leak earlier this year and verendus has hinted another mh so lets see what happens

edit: lol beaten with the yet response

Zekes!

This is why I want know the details of DQ7/8 localization. As I mentioned earlier if SE did all this alone this is the sign of them willing to handle Western market by themselves, for once again.

Yeah time will tell.

I need that VII remake though. I need it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
ah!

Turn based

Home consoles

Not an MMO

rejoice.png
Hallelujah!

And by consoles at most he probably means PS3/PS4.

Me gusta.jpg

Return to Dragon Quest roots? Not action-based? Home consoles? Not online? Praise Raptor Jesus!

yet :) i don't want to get started on mh and derail this thread but they are doing a new mh frontier game from the leak earlier this year and verendus has hinted another mh so lets see what happens

edit: lol beaten with the yet response

They're also making three Monster Hunter games for 3DS. If your argument that MH is leaving Nintendo for Sony is Frontier....well, that's a damn weak argument.

Rocky

Banned
Huh. That is definitely news to me! I may have to try it out. Either way is fine with me! I prefer my shield due to actual triggers though.

Yeah dude, I was vacationing in South Carolina and playing my PS4 that was in NJ with my Vita. It worked great.

sense

They're also making three Monster Hunter games for 3DS. If your argument that MH is leaving Nintendo for Sony is Frontier....well, that's a damn weak argument.

lol no. just pulling his leg but stranger things have happened!

maybe that early prototype ps3 version of yokai watch will resurface on ps4 once they milk the cow dry on 3ds

ok will stop now:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom