• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would rise the next question, did he talk about physical controls (so not smartphones), or did he talk about actual controllers connected to a console. My guess would be the former, since I cannot picture a conversation where he need to be precise about the latter.
Well, the interviewer uses "manettes" in French and reports Horii doing so too. That's a term that definitely means controllers and not just buttons.

Hugstable

Banned
Even if it would hey more sales on 3DS, that's not the most important. Also DQ is the type of game that sells consoles on japan.

It's a matter of appretiation.

New Dragon Quest on 3DS? People would just think -> they are going cheap, spendind little with high return. no ambition aywhere.

New Dragon Quest on home console? gamers will feel that SE is finally going all out because making a BIG JRPG on the current gen is much harder and more ambitious. And since SE wants a change of image to the latter, it will be that for sure. Many people (myself included) feels the series doesn't exist since Dragon Quest VIII. I think it's time they ditch PS3 tho.

If you think the series hasn't existed since VIII, then I don't know what to tell ya. 9 was an amazing game and did really well on the Gameplay and was an amazing tribute to one of the most iconic Dragon Quests gameplay wise before that, DQIII.

Rocky

Banned
If you think the series hasn't existed since VIII, then I don't know what to tell ya. 9 was an amazing game and did really well on the Gameplay and was an amazing tribute to one of the most iconic Dragon Quests gameplay wise before that, DQIII.

I disagree. I didn't think IX was that "amazing" at all. It felt like a step backward after DQ VIII. It also felt really "dumbed down" from previous entries in the DQ series. Not to mention all the DQ staples that were missing from it.

Hugstable

Banned
I disagree. I didn't think IX was that "amazing" at all. It felt like a step backward after DQ VIII. It also felt really "dumbed down" from previous entries in the DQ series. Not to mention all the DQ staples that were missing from it.

How was it dumbed down? Gameplay was better in almost every way?

Dragon Quest 8 was missing even more staples with that horrible menu and the voice acting.

Lol, half à year ago the people in the media create threads would line up their "funny" gif posts when you even dared speculate it could be on consoles rather than 3ds.

VIII itself was a step back from VII in many ways. Still a great game though, as is IX, imo.

Rocky

Banned
How was it dumbed down? Gameplay was better in almost every way?

Well for one thing, the tiny medal sidequest was changed to unlimited medals and you just redeemed them at a store. Plus once you obtained a good grotto map, levelling was a joke. And then the quests became pointless, repetitive and boring. Especially the DLC quests.

VIII itself was a step back from VII in many ways. Still a great game though, as is IX, imo.

That's your opinion I guess. I thought VIII was a huge step forward in many ways.

Fularu

Banned
He says "le jeux sera conçu pour consoles de salon car utilisant des manettes" (at least the site claims that).

Unless we see the original sentence in japanese, this could be a misstranslation. The game is designed around a controller, and both handhelds and home consoles have them.

BTW the site also claims Yuji Horii announced DQ7 and DQ8 for release in France and french. Except I can't find a site with that information beside the tweets.

Hugstable

Banned

I thought 8 was alright, I played it coming off Dragon Quest 3,4,5,6 and 9 all in a row so it seemed like it wasn't meeting the story high points for me that 5 was reaching and the Gameplay seemed very barebones compared to 3,6, and 9. It's a great game, but it's definitely not one of my top 3 Dragon Quest games. I also played it with the voices turned off which was thankfully an option, wish I could have had the original menus though, the new menus and stuff during fights are terrible, one of the boxes cut off the bosses head from the first person view :(

Well for one thing, the tiny medal sidequest was changed to unlimited medals and you just redeemed them at a store. Plus once you obtained a good grotto map, levelling was a joke. And then the quests became pointless, repetitive and boring. Especially the DLC quests.

That's your opinion I guess. I thought VIII was a huge step forward in many ways.

So the reason it was dumbed down is things that didn't exist in previous games? WUT? Previous games didn't even have side quests LOL. Medals were unlimited in 5 too btw

sörine

Banned
Lol, half à year ago the people in the media create threads would line up their "funny" gif posts when you even dared speculate it could be on consoles rather than 3ds.
MC threads have been rife with DQXI PS4 speculation for a year now. Where have you been?

Rocky

Banned
So the reason it was dumbed down is things that didn't exist in previous games? WUT? Previous games didn't even have side quests LOL. Medals were unlimited in alot of games too btw

You must have missed a lot of things in the previous games then. And before IX, tiny medals were always limited and some could even be missed and then you wouldn't be able to get all the items from the king/princess.

And I didn't say it was dumbed down because of the quests and grottos. Learn to comprehend.

Hugstable

Banned
You must have missed a lot of things in the previous games then. And before IX, tiny medals were always limited and some could even be missed and then you wouldn't be able to get all the items from the king/princess.

And I didn't say it was dumbed down because of the quests and grottos. Learn to comprehend.

Dragon Quest 5 has unlimited mini medals?

rpmurphy

MC threads are about sales, so it was just a natural conclusion that home consoles were not in the picture or secondary. Console-warriors put their faith into that vague statement from Horii. :p

Dynomutt

What if MS was able to snag timed exclusivity on this game as the one significant JRPG in their lineup...

Complete speculation.

Hugstable

Banned
What the hell are you talking about? DQ5 is heavily limited, especially since they are missable if you complete a chapter before finding them all.

You can grind them out from enemy drops lol

Unless you talking SNES, I've only played DS since that's the only official localization we've had

Rocky

Banned
You can grind them out from enemy drops lol

Which version of DQV are talking about? I don't recall the medals being grindable but go ahead and laugh at me if it makes you feel better. It's pretty obvious why you like some DQ games better than others. Nice mushroom cap on your avatar, btw.

sörine;170860226 said:
MC threads have been rife with DQXI PS4 speculation for a year now. Where have you been?

Yeah but there's been a majority shooting the notion down at every turn claiming nothing aside from 3DS is possible. Where have you been?

I wish them the best of luck with that(and resurrecting consoles in Japan) but I don't think it's going to happen, they're choosing to fight a losing battle.

Horii has said that consoles are due for a comeback in Japan once people lose interest in mobile gaming, so he's frankly deluded.

It won't "bomb" even if it's a console exclusive, it's mainline DQ, but it's evident that his business acumen is less than razor-sharp these days.

Oregano

Horii has said that consoles are due for a comeback in Japan once people lose interest in mobile gaming, so he's frankly deluded.

It won't "bomb" even if it's a console exclusive, it's mainline DQ, but it's evident that his business acumen is less than razor-sharp these days.

To be fair he's not the only one at Square Enix saying stuff like that. There must be something in the water.

What if Wada was actually the sane one!? What if!?

sense

sörine;170860226 said:

that doesn't change the fact that people were posting snarky comments and making fun of the notion that it could be on anything but 3ds. it is only when horii came out and hinted he wants it to be on the big screen/home console that people started thinking it is possible!

120v

i don't see how it could be anything other than ps3/ps4 multi-plat... this is japan we're talking about. and a series that's selective purely on install base

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I choose to willingly drink the water of current Square Enix's shores. And if we die, we die together.

Doma.PNG

sörine

Banned
Yeah but there's been a majority shooting the notion down at every turn claiming nothing aside from 3DS is possible. Where have you been?
In the MC threads. Where Verendus talked up DQ on PS and many posters have been speculating and debating on the mainline returning to Sony routinely for much longer than 6 months.

that doesn't change the fact that people were posting snarky comments and making fun of the notion that it could be on anything but 3ds. it is only when horii came out and hinted he wants it to be on the big screen/home console that people started thinking it is possible!
And he said that over a year ago.

Hugstable

Banned
Which version of DQV are talking about? I don't recall the medals being grindable but go ahead and laugh at me if it makes you feel better. It's pretty obvious why you like some DQ games better than others. Nice mushroom cap on your avatar, btw.

You can call me a Fanboy if you want, I don't mind. You'll probably be sad when you realize that I'm not though

Also I might be wrong on 5, I played the DS version, but I just remember some enemies dropping a crap ton of mini medals.

takoyaki

(On Dragon Quest for smartphones) "I think games should be designed for the platforms they're on. Dragon Quest 11 is designed for home consoles."

That's great news! I would have been ok with another handheld game like DQ9, but definitely prefer a new console game like DQ8. Hope it's PS4/PS3, but WiiU (and maybe NX?) could work as well.

koutoru

Unlike Kingdom Hearts, I doubt this will be coming to Xbox.
Although it's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Hugstable

Banned
That's great news! I would have been ok with another handheld game like DQ9, but definitely prefer a new console game like DQ8. Hope it's PS4/PS3, but WiiU (and maybe NX?) could work as well.

Thinking about it, wouldn't 9 be coming up soon for porting to Mobile? Hope they do it soon just for the fact that the online would finally be usable for myself. So crappy that so many things were tied to the store and I wasn't able to access all those cool cosplay costumes, so my game was pretty much over when I finished the main quest and a few grottos.

sörine

Banned
Thinking about it, wouldn't 9 be coming up soon for porting to Mobile? Hope they do it soon just for the fact that the online would finally be usable for myself. So crappy that so many things were tied to the store and I wasn't able to access all those cool cosplay costumes, so my game was pretty much over when I finished the main quest and a few grottos.
I think Horii at one point said IX wouldn't go mobile because it relies too heavily on streetpass functionality.

sense

sörine;170862179 said:
In the MC threads. Where Verendus talked up DQ on PS and many posters have been speculating and debating on the mainline returning to Sony routinely for much longer than 6 months.

And he said that over a year ago.

yes he was wrong about the 6 months!

do you agree that people made fun of the notion before horii/verendus hinted?

Rocky

Banned
You can call me a Fanboy if you want, I don't mind. You'll probably be sad when you realize that I'm not though

Also I might be wrong on 5, I played the DS version, but I just remember some enemies dropping a crap ton of mini medals.

You should check out the PS2 version of DQV. I think its still the best version of that game. I liked the DS versions but really didn't care for the translations. I thought they really overdid it with the puns and accents, and also Alltrades Abbey (ugh!!).

You know, if the rumor about the NX being Android compatible are true, we could potentially play the android versions of DQ I-VIII on it at launch. Now there's a nice launch lineup lol.

low-G

I'm going to predict a late generation launch, like Dragon Quest 8 on PS2. It will be incredible. Get read for a 2019 launch!

sörine

Banned
yes he was wrong about the 6 months!

do you agree that people made fun of the notion before horii/verendus hinted?
Maybe at one point, but the past several months we've had people joking a 3DS release would actually be more surprising than PS3/4 despite the business sense in going that way. Sentiments changed awhile back, DQVIII 3DS was a surprise even.

takoyaki

No idea what the situation between Nintendo and SE is with 9. I think it was only a publishing thing in the west so a mobile port could happen, but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't have a chance to play DQ9 multiplayer either, would buy a mobile port just to try it out.

Elios83

I'm going to predict a late generation launch, like Dragon Quest 8 on PS2. It will be incredible. Get read for a 2019 launch!

Seems like the game has been in development for a good while.
Horii has been talking about making the next DQ game for home consoles for more than a year.
Could be released in 2017.

crinale

If SE really did localize DQ7/8 by themselves then I can feel them trying to become more platform-independent. IIRC someone was hinting (besides Verendus) that DQ being exclusive will become thing of the past eventually..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom