• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack & Wiki (Wii) coming to Wii U VC in Europe

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/671258221450027008

HOLY DAMN! Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is coming as a Wii download to the Wii U eShop in Europe. :D

No date, but Daan follows up with this:

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/671258580557893632

€14.99/£13.49 until December 18 as well, so get on that y'all!

So... this week I suppose?

So this makes it the 2nd Wii game from Capcom to make it to Wii U VC in EU after RE4, NA when Capcom? :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This.. can't be happening.. Can it?

ed: Oh, it's the vanilla original. I thought a HD remaster at first. Still great news.

Piccoro

Oh cool, always wanted to try this game back in the Wii days, but I've never purchased it for some reason.
But now I will! :)

Deepo

Might actually buy that. Anyone know if there will be any 50hz shenanigans on this? I'm a bit rusty on whether that was an issue with Wii games.

Solobbos

Truly a gem, although the last levels were a bit too big for their own good. Still, one of the best Wii exclusives!

Wow, this is pretty awesome.

I actually never got to play the game. I noticed the game when it came out as it got plenty of great reviews and it sounded exactly like a game I'd like a lot, but never ended up buying it for whatever reason.

Definitely buying now.

Another question is though when I'll get to play it..

cacildo

Im probably the only one but i hate this game and really cant understand all the people that (say they) like it

I liked this game. The style, feel, humour and characterisation of this game really made me think back of Tron Bonne and her kobun army. There's a learning curve to this game with its motion controls though. It's one of those early Wii games where if you're not doing exactly what the developers intended in precise, controlled motions, it may reject some of your efforts.

Nezzhil

Oh cool, always wanted to try this game back in the Wii days, but I've never purchased it for some reason.
But now I will! :)

Wow, this is pretty awesome.

I actually never got to play the game. I noticed the game when it came out as it got plenty of great reviews and it sounded exactly like a game I'd like a lot, but never ended up buying it for whatever reason.

Definitely buying now.

Another question is though when I'll get to play it..

ben-stiller-do-it.gif

Might actually buy that. Anyone know if there will be any 50hz shenanigans on this? I'm a bit rusty on whether that was an issue with Wii games.
I played it at 60hz so I don't know if it have any problems at 50, but the back box says that it's 50hz compatible (like almost all the wii games).

mclem

You can ring a bell to the tune of various classic Capcom game soundtracks! (Most memorably - for me - Ghosts and Goblins')

If that's not a selling point, I don't know what is.

Grunkle

Banned
Im probably the only one but i hate this game and really cant understand all the people that (say they) like it

Nah, you're not the only one. I found the game boring as hell and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I shelved it without even finishing it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This was a great game, although I never understood how capcom could use it as a test, as the game would have bombed as hell on any plattform. Anyways, hope more people get to experience it this time!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Everybody should buy this. It's easily the best third party game available for the Wii.

Its a good game, but come on, the Wii had tons of great third party games that were better than this one, including a few from Capcom itself like Okami, REmake, RE4, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

GenG3000

Its a good game, but come on, the Wii had tons of great third party games that were better than this one, including a few from Capcom itself like Okami, REmake, RE4, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

These games were either rereleases (Okami, RE4) or won't take advantage of the Wii controller. Zack & Wiki was made exclusively for the console and it shows.

Solid graphics, charming characters, clever puzzles and setting to them, great sense of humor (sometimes I was looking for new ways to die), collectables and one of the most inventive and rewarding controlling schemes for the Wii remote ever. It had it all.

Somehow I was expecting Captain Toad to resemble this game.

VC? I can't wait to post screenshots to Miiverse.

I think the (Wii) notation already makes clear it isn't a port so the misleading virtual console branding isn't required. Wii disc download if the thread title can fit it even.

Already answered but very few Wii disc releases were 50Hz only* and as far as Wii U goes it can only output in 60Hz and will duplicate every 5th frame for 50Hz games.

The PAL issues tend to be more subtle like 480p being fucked in Zelda Twilight Princess.

*-Ones I can name off the top of my head are Mario Party 8 (homebrew loaders on the Wii can force it to run in 60Hz no issues), Madworld, Little King's Story, Super Mario all-stars and Heatseeker (this is a PS2 port and the PS2 version had 60Hz).

ash_ag

Seeing Capcom prolific makes me happy, and Wii U's Wii VC keeps getting games that deserve to sell more than they did, which also makes me happy.

The important question is when REmake and RE0 will release. Maybe close to the HD Versions' Origins Collection?

It's an amazing game and whilst i love the graphics and would never change them, the kiddy look really harmed this game when it came out as it is in no way for kids as the puzzles are rock hard (but mostly logical) and i doubt anyone would find this game a breeze to play.

Theres a lot of trial and error thats rarely frustrating but from the outside it looks like a kids platform with light puzzles when its really a super hard core Captain Toad. Everyone should buy it, even if its just for the graphics and animations which are sublime, let alone that feeling when completing a puzzle.

Wish we had more Zack and Wiki.

also

Banned
VC? I can't wait to post screenshots to Miiverse.

I think the (Wii) notation already makes clear it isn't a port so the misleading virtual console branding isn't required. Wii disc download if the thread title can fit it even.

Already answered but very few Wii disc releases were 50Hz only* and as far as Wii U goes it can only output in 60Hz and will duplicate every 5th frame for 50Hz games.

The PAL issues tend to be more subtle like 480p being fucked in Zelda Twilight Princess.

*-Ones I can name off the top of my head are Mario Party 8 (homebrew loaders on the Wii can force it to run in 60Hz no issues), Madworld, Little King's Story, Super Mario all-stars and Heatseeker (this is a PS2 port and the PS2 version had 60Hz).

There's also Call of Duty 3 and some googling turned up Harvest Moon Magical Melody, Scarface and Tiger Woods 07.

TunaLover

I wonder why we still don't get RE4, Xenoblade, Metroid Zero Mission in america, on VC... There's clearly not a market demography problem :/

I generally liked the game, especially its presentation, but most puzzles were not very good. Too much trial and error (made worse by the fact you often had to start over), too little logic.

-shadow-

There shouldn't be. Only a handful of Wii games didn't support 60Hz. And most were released near launch.

But really happy about this, was planning on buying the retail version, but might skip that in favour of this! :)

Great news. Zack & Wiki is one of the very best third party games on Wii. I won't buy it because I already have it, but everyone who doesn't and likes puzzle games definitely should give it a try.

ramparter

Banned
Personally I regret buying the game especially for 50 euros. Sold it later. It was very well made and I enjoyed some of its puzzles but at some point I didn't care to finish it.

How? Is it the true reason the game looks way worse on LCD TV via Wii U than a lot of GCN game via Wii?
Yeah it is blurry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGur78ahkl4
Some people think it is outputting in 480i instead but given that gamecube games in your case likely to be 480i too (as PAL gamecube games have the 480p option replaces with 50Hz/60Hz selection) you would think the problem would be there too (unless the TV processes 480i and 480p differently).

Top Bottom