• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda at E3 to have two demos, Nintendo asking press to free up 90 minutes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'd love this game forever if after the obligatory intro the game just throws you out there with no indication what's so ever of where the dungeons are. Like the original.

I really hope new Zelda comes with a rich world as a Studio Gibil movies like Nausicaa and other Miyazaki's works

1600x669_11950_Nausicaa_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_02_2d_sci_fi_landscape_skull_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

stunning-moving-posters-bring-all-your-favorite-studio-ghibli-movies-to-life-367533.jpg

Think Zelda is the only franchise that can work with that kind of art.

Ni no Kuni and 2 already does ;)

I hope so too. This new Zelda looks gorgeous looking at the trailer and I think they'll pull off what you're saying, the art style shown in the big reveal trailer was great.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd love this game forever if after the obligatory intro the game just throws you out there with no indication what's so ever of where the dungeons are. Like the original.

Being that this is supposed to be a true open world game for the first time I would really hope they do that to one degree or another. Trying too hard to block off access to areas and funnel us around will hurt the game. If they must channel us a little have the opening area be a valley that's got one access point out of it that's block off, but is otherwise a very large open area we can explore. Then get the intro stuff out of the way and open up the rest of the world to us without much limitations.

To me ideally the game will have tiered locations and dungeons. We can explore the whole world, but some specific places won't be accessible, but not large sections of the actual world itself. You can walk up to a Temple, but you just can't go inside it, yet.

Hopefully we get 12 "dungeons" again and have them be a mix of traditional dungeons like Forest Temple, Fire Temple, etc. and then more abstract areas like Snowpeak Ruins or Gerudo's Training Grounds and even less structured areas that blend more into the world. The first and last dungeons obviously can't be played out of order. There needs to be an intro dungeon and final boss dungeon, but the remaining 10 could be interchangeable to a degree. As I said they could be broken up into to 3 tiers or phases that are free to tackle within that phase. So Phase 1 could consist of 4 dungeons with then Phases 2 & 3 would be 3 dungeons that we could tackled in any order.

This allows you to add in a certain amount of player freedom to progress the game in the manner of their choosing making it feel less linear, but you also retain a degree of certainty that allows for set increases in difficulty. They wouldn't need to balance all 10 dungeons to be playable at any given moment just a set of them for that limited segment of the plot. And if they craft the narrative appropriately so that those locations are blocked off or opened up to us in ways that make sense and don't feel like they're artificially limiting our access to the world all the better.

And if they were smart they could modify each dungeon's enemies to be a bit harder if you beat a previous dungeon or more in that Phase. So you beat a dungeon in Phase 1 maybe in the next dungeon you go to they have 3 Stalfos in a room instead of 2, or if you beat 2 dungeons before it now they have two swords instead of a just sword and shield. Or add in an enemy or tier of enemy that requires the item you got in one of those dungeons to bring down their guard in order to defeat them. It would be harder to make puzzles more complex though there are certainly ways to do that too, but that's expecting a lot.

As well for me I would like the game to provide us with all the items by the end of Phase 1. Link should start out the game with the bow at this point, it's as much a staple as the sword and shield. Then after the intro dungeon and all four of Phase 1's dungeons he'll have acquired 5 items. Which to me is an ideal number, it's not too many but still enough to provide an interesting variety. The remaining dungeons could simply provide modifications and improvements to the equipment that expands upon their utility or provide other useful items or equipment like the Water Dragon's Scale, Mirror Shield, Power Bracelets, Fireshield Earrings or Mogma Mitts. This would also allow them to make Phase 2 and Phase 3 dungeons more complex because the player will have a full set of items to use. So they should be able to setup lots of ways for the player to experiment and use their items to defeat enemies, solve puzzles and explore without fearing that they'll be playing a dungeon without this item or that item.

ReyVGM

Being that this is supposed to be a true open world game for the first time I would really hope they do that to one degree or another. Trying too hard to block off access to areas and funnel us around will hurt the game. If they must channel us a little have the opening area be a valley that's got one access point out of it that's block off, but is otherwise a very large open area we can explore. Then get the intro stuff out of the way and open up the rest of the world to us without much limitations.

To me ideally the game will have tiered locations and dungeons. We can explore the whole world, but some specific places won't be accessible, but not large sections of the actual world itself. You can walk up to a Temple, but you just can't go inside it, yet.

Hopefully we get 12 "dungeons" again and have them be a mix of traditional dungeons like Forest Temple, Fire Temple, etc. and then more abstract areas like Snowpeak Ruins or Gerudo's Training Grounds and even less structured areas that blend more into the world. The first and last dungeons obviously can't be played out of order. There needs to be an intro dungeon and final boss dungeon, but the remaining 10 could be interchangeable to a degree. As I said they could be broken up into to 3 tiers or phases that are free to tackle within that phase. So Phase 1 could consist of 4 dungeons with then Phases 2 & 3 would be 3 dungeons that we could tackled in any order.

This allows you to add in a certain amount of player freedom to progress the game in the manner of their choosing making it feel less linear, but you also retain a degree of certainty that allows for set increases in difficulty. They wouldn't need to balance all 10 dungeons to be playable at any given moment just a set of them for that limited segment of the plot. And if they craft the narrative appropriately so that those locations are blocked off or opened up to us in ways that make sense and don't feel like they're artificially limiting our access to the world all the better.

And if they were smart they could modify each dungeon's enemies to be a bit harder if you beat a previous dungeon or more in that Phase. So you beat a dungeon in Phase 1 maybe in the next dungeon you go to they have 3 Stalfos in a room instead of 2, or if you beat 2 dungeons before it now they have two swords instead of a just sword and shield. Or add in an enemy or tier of enemy that requires the item you got in one of those dungeons to bring down their guard in order to defeat them. It would be harder to make puzzles more complex though there are certainly ways to do that too, but that's expecting a lot.

As well for me I would like the game to provide us with all the items by the end of Phase 1. Link should start out the game with the bow at this point, it's as much a staple as the sword and shield. Then after the intro dungeon and all four of Phase 1's dungeons he'll have acquired 5 items. Which to me is an ideal number, it's not too many but still enough to provide an interesting variety. The remaining dungeons could simply provide modifications and improvements to the equipment that expands upon their utility or provide other useful items or equipment like the Water Dragon's Scale, Mirror Shield, Power Bracelets, Fireshield Earrings or Mogma Mitts. This would also allow them to make Phase 2 and Phase 3 dungeons more complex because the player will have a full set of items to use. So they should be able to setup lots of ways for the player to experiment and use their items to defeat enemies, solve puzzles and explore without fearing that they'll be playing a dungeon without this item or that item.

Ugh, shut up. You make too much sense, and probably the game will not follow such logic.

HeySeuss

I think this one will be weapon crafting heavy. Maybe there will only be a handful of weapons but they all have different skill trees you can create to customize them to your style of play.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think this one will be weapon crafting heavy. Maybe there will only be a handful of weapons but they all have different skill trees you can create to customize them to your style of play.

To what end? I'm not sure how that would mesh with Zelda's style of combat. Which I for one have no desire to see change in any drastic way. It's unique among games, it certainly can do more, add new things but the core mechanics are very sound.

I really hope they look back on WW and try and emulate and build upon that combat as much as possible. No other Zelda game moves and flows as smoothly and well as WW. It's a joy to play that game and engage in combat. Link's movements and attacks are so clean and seamless. The parry system was brilliant as well and was foolishly implemented in Twilight Princess as optional moves which limited their use in enemy encounters as they had to be defeatable without them since not all players would acquire every move, if any.

WW's major flaw was its difficulty. Enemies were very passive and they did minimal damage to Link. So while there was some great designs and variations of enemies requiring you to attack them in unique ways to defeat them they rarely posed a real challenge unless in en mass due to how little damage they put out and how infrequently they tried to attack you.

Ideally again Nintendo will implement a difficulty setting at the start of the game. Three variations at the start would be perfect. Beginner, Normal and Hero modes. No reason to lock this out after a game completion. Beginner mode can reduce enemy attack frequency by a certain amount and decrease damage to 1/2 a heart. Normal will be normal in attack frequency, enemies would do a minimum of 1 heart per attack. Then in Hero mode they could increase attack frequency a bit and damage to a minimum of 2 hearts.

They wouldn't even need to do any to actual encounter design or enemy types. Though that would be nice as well. But really that would be icing on the cake. The real folly of most Zelda games and their combat is weakness of enemy attacks. They don't require you to fully utilize the weapons and items available to you, nor do they require you to perfect the control and movement of Link in combat as it's so easy to just run around avoiding and taking out enemies.

sinxtanx

two weeks until hours of proper, direct-feed, uncut gameplay of The Legend of Zelda for Wii U (temp.)

current hype level: impatiently awaiting
projected hype level for the 13th: unstoppable killing machine

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can't decide who's more excite for the new Zelda - my kids or me. Which, in the grand scheme of things, does not really matter, as we'll be playing it together - me doing most of the 'hard stuff' and they roaming the fields of Hyrule.

BY2K

Membero Americo
two weeks until hours of proper, direct-feed, uncut gameplay of The Legend of Zelda for Wii U (temp.)

current hype level: impatiently awaiting
projected hype level for the 13th: unstoppable killing machine

Pretty much me, too.

Two weeks...amazing how time flies.

So does anybody still thinks we get a proper VA for the new Zelda entry or is that dream dead?
I replayed TP and SS a few weeks ago and the cutscenes would have had so much more impact if they would have been with VA and not just textboxes.

Two weeks...amazing how time flies.

So does anybody still thinks we get a proper VA for the new Zelda entry or is that dream dead?
I replayed TP and SS a few weeks ago and the cutscenes would have had so much more impact if they would have been with VA and not just textboxes.
I don't see this having full voiceacting.

Perhaps not every single line in the game, but at least the important stuff.

So like in Xenoblade X? Hm, to be honest, either go full out or just let it be. Witcher 3 and Skyrim had everything fully voiced and it helped a lot to feel like part of the world.
It's not like they don't have the budget to do that...

sinxtanx

so many people in the E3 floor plan thread manage to fail basic multiplication and division...

spoilers:
a demo that's at least six times longer than a regular E3 demo is going to take at least six times as long for everyone at E3 to play through, requiring at least six times as many demo stations

but noooo that floor space is OBVIOUSLY for all the secret games

Perhaps not every single line in the game, but at least the important stuff.

Agreed. It would almost just feel archaic at this point to have main storyline NPC's just grunting and waving their arms while talking. To really build on character development, they need to have good voice acting. Except for Link. He needs to remain a silent/grunting only character forever.

gamerMan

So like in Xenoblade X? Hm, to be honest, either go full out or just let it be. Witcher 3 and Skyrim had everything fully voiced and it helped a lot to feel like part of the world.
It's not like they don't have the budget to do that...

I really feel that this is the biggest improvement that Nintendo can make with Zelda. While Nintendo makes the best games, Nintendo doesn't know how to tell stories. They need to catch up with Western developers. Sorry, I'm illiterate, I don't want to sit there reading a bunch of text while characters grunt out gibberish. Nintendo is 30 years behind in terms of presentation.

The truth is that Western games seem better than they are because of the storytelling. The only reason I want to play Witcher 3 is for the story. If the Witcher 3 was presented like Zelda, would anyone play it?

If one of these demos was just 30 minutes of cutscenes with characters talking to each other, I would be impressed. I know the game is going to be awesome. It's Nintendo! But will the presentation be stuck 30 years ago?

Nintendo Direct: "And now the Zelda Wii U demo is available to download...now."
That's gonna happen. I know it's gonna happen.

I hope it happens.

Nintendo Direct: "And now the Zelda Wii U demo is available to download...now."
That's gonna happen. I know it's gonna happen.

I hope it happens.

That would be a nice gesture, but I think it will be awfully limited, ie, I don't think the will let you get out of a given dungeon, or explore the open field at your own leisure.

Its gonna be hard to resist watching the gameplay videos. I only saw the trailers the first two trailers for Skyward Sword so I felt like I went in semi-blind and totally loved that game. I want to have that feeling for Zelda U as well.

...But I've wanted this game for so long and I dont think I can help myself...

watershed

Banned
so many people in the E3 floor plan thread manage to fail basic multiplication and division...

spoilers:
a demo that's at least six times longer than a regular E3 demo is going to take at least six times as long for everyone at E3 to play through, requiring at least six times as many demo stations

but noooo that floor space is OBVIOUSLY for all the secret games
And the demo area will be more comfortable with seata for each demo unit. No one is going to stand for an hour plus playing the demo after already standing in line just to play the demo.

Phaezyk

The Legend of Zelda for Wii U (temp.)

Why can't I shake the feeling, in this post Super Smash Bros. for Wii U world, that this for some reason will end up being the final title of the game?

To what end? I'm not sure how that would mesh with Zelda's style of combat. Which I for one have no desire to see change in any drastic way. It's unique among games, it certainly can do more, add new things but the core mechanics are very sound.

I really hope they look back on WW and try and emulate and build upon that combat as much as possible. No other Zelda game moves and flows as smoothly and well as WW. It's a joy to play that game and engage in combat. Link's movements and attacks are so clean and seamless. The parry system was brilliant as well and was foolishly implemented in Twilight Princess as optional moves which limited their use in enemy encounters as they had to be defeatable without them since not all players would acquire every move, if any.

WW's major flaw was its difficulty. Enemies were very passive and they did minimal damage to Link. So while there was some great designs and variations of enemies requiring you to attack them in unique ways to defeat them they rarely posed a real challenge unless in en mass due to how little damage they put out and how infrequently they tried to attack you.

Ideally again Nintendo will implement a difficulty setting at the start of the game. Three variations at the start would be perfect. Beginner, Normal and Hero modes. No reason to lock this out after a game completion. Beginner mode can reduce enemy attack frequency by a certain amount and decrease damage to 1/2 a heart. Normal will be normal in attack frequency, enemies would do a minimum of 1 heart per attack. Then in Hero mode they could increase attack frequency a bit and damage to a minimum of 2 hearts.

They wouldn't even need to do any to actual encounter design or enemy types. Though that would be nice as well. But really that would be icing on the cake. The real folly of most Zelda games and their combat is weakness of enemy attacks. They don't require you to fully utilize the weapons and items available to you, nor do they require you to perfect the control and movement of Link in combat as it's so easy to just run around avoiding and taking out enemies.

I'm pretty much with you on this. I finished Wind Waker for the first time the other week, playing the whole time on Hero Mode, and now I'm doing the same with Twilight Princess. Definitely more challenging and fun on Hero Mode, I always felt that the plentiful heart pots were too much. I'm not quite so sure on the 2 hearts damage minimum though. It would really suck starting out, and still become less of an issue over time as you make more progress.

Why can't I shake the feeling, in this post Super Smash Bros. for Wii U world, that this for some reason will end up being the final title of the game?

I'm pretty much with you on this. I finished Wind Waker for the first time the other week, playing the whole time on Hero Mode, and now I'm doing the same with Twilight Princess. Definitely more challenging and fun on Hero Mode, I always felt that the plentiful heart pots were too much. I'm not quite so sure on the 2 hearts damage minimum though. It would really suck starting out, and still become less of an issue over time as you make more progress.

If anything it'll just be The Legend of Zelda.

They cant do for NX or Wii U. Zelda aint no funny game like smash and id be lowkey mad lol. When they did it for smash I was like tf????

If anything it'll just be The Legend of Zelda.

They cant do for NX or Wii U. Zelda aint no funny game like smash and id be lowkey mad lol. When they did it for smash I was like tf????

I think you might be right with that. Maybe even just "Zelda" if their goal is to completely rethink the conventions of the series.

Nah who are we kidding, it'll be like "The Legend of Zelda: Sousaphone of Time"

georly

Before my blackout, I'll state my expectation:

Wind waker but with grass instead of water.

(I think a lot of you will be very disappointed with your grandiose ideas)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

2 heart minimum might be a tad much, realistically it should be double damage which I think is what Hero Mode does. So that could be a full heart for some enemies, two hearts for others. But even then I don't think it would be wrong to start the game out with 6 hearts again like SS instead of the normal 3. Whatever they decide they should make it somewhat challenging on the base difficulty and then allow for a harder and easier setting for those who want it. This one mode only at the start is no good. Especially when they don't really seem to be doing all that much to really craft each encounter that much around some set difficulty.

Top Bottom