• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda fans - are you really expecting Zelda U this year?

I think it's a possibility, but they could also release both in a holiday season. But isn't the usual AC team the one doing Splatoon?

I really think X is going to be a fall title in the US, along with Star Fox, whatever Sonic game Sega is making, and maybe Zelda, so if AC is coming, then I'd probably guess that one of those are going to be pushed back. As for the team, I don't know.

Nah, I'm actually not expecting it to come out this year.
A lot of it is due to EAD3's inexperience with HD development, the WiiU's dreadful situation, Zelda's past development history (gotta upend those tea tables), and the fact that we haven't really seen anything substantial.
If it does come out this year, I'm expecting a rushed game similar to Wind Waker in 2003.
Nintendo simply saying "It'll be out by 2015" means nothing to me when I take this all into account.

Tabasco

Nah, I'm actually not expecting it to come out this year.
A lot of it is due to EAD3's inexperience with HD development, the WiiU's dreadful situation, Zelda's past development history (gotta upend those tea tables), and the fact that we haven't really seen anything substantial.
If it does come out this year, I'm expecting a rushed game similar to Wind Waker in 2003.
Wind Waker was rushed?

If so, they can totally pull off a really polished game that way.

Guerrilla

Let's say it gets delayed to 2016. That means

2011 Skyward Sword
2013 Link Between Worlds
2016 Zelda WiiU
2018 Zelda 4DS?
2020 Zelda Wii3?

I mean is that what people here want? It's time to end this timeline where console Zelda always end up launching at the tail end of its generation. It's always the last big game to launch before next gen hype starts.

Imo that needs to change, push out Zelda U 2015 and start immediately working on the next home console entry for 2018 launch at worst, and in between outsource project ALttP Remake in ALBW engine.

YES! Wii U deserves 2 original zeldas. We deserve 2 original zeldas. In fact every nintendo console should get 2 original zeldas.

I believe in 2015!

Also why don't we have a metroid game for 3ds or wiiu yet? You're breaking my balls here iwata...

Ahh, that's right. I remember every one was freaking out about the state of ND for a while. I seriously doubt they scrapped everything they had on the game because a handful or two of people left a 250 man studio.

The fact that they made changes to casting, etc, only makes me more confident that they're going to meet their release window.

If the game was significantly behind schedule, I would've guessed that they would've kept everything, and go dark until E3 2015 to unveil the game in proper.

But no, they still afforded to be able to make a proper in-game trailer and a fully working vertical demo for public showcase, even when there was no need to.

Wind Waker was rushed?

If so, they can totally pull off a really polished game that way.

It's pretty much been confirmed that it was a rushed game.
Two whole dungeons were cut and replaced with the triforce quest so they could get it out in Japan by 2002.

Personally, I kind of like My Zelda's fully realized with all their content intact.
:p

SkyOdin

I will be hopeful. I think there is a decent chance it will come out this year, and I will hold on to that hope. I find being optimistic is more fun than being pessimistic.

Yes, that Direct. Thanks for taking my statement completely out of context though! My point, that you conveniently glossed over, is that we now know the lineup for the first half of 2015. There are many games scheduled for the second half of the year and it will be difficult for Nintendo to release them all. History shows us that Nintendo is more than happy to space out releases, so it would not surprise me whatsoever to see Zelda get delayed if they feel it needs more time. They have plenty of other titles to take its place and they likely have one or two more unannounced games as well.

What are these "many games" scheduled for the last half of 2015 exactly? Because the only two I'm aware of are Star Fox and Zelda, and Star Fox is pretty much niche by this point.

Zolbrod

In Japan? Absolutely.

In the US? Hmmmmmmm...

On the other hand, Zelda games seem to release in the West before Japan nowadays, so sure, yeah, I expect them to deliver it this year.

WarAdept

I don't mind it being delayed. I think that both Bloodbourne and Xenoblade Chronicles X will keep me very very busy this year.

ReyVGM

How is working on a game for four years in any way hurrying?

A game of that scope doesn't get made by taking it easy. All big budget games are made in a hurry, unless they've been on development for five years or something.
By 'in a hurry' I don't mean they are being churned out quickly (like Assassin's Creed games).

They've already confirmed it multiple times... Not sure why this is even a thread.

I mean to think that it won't hit this year is a little thick. How long have they been working on it?

4 years since Skyward Sword. I'd expect a November release for the holidays as there are no other big games in the pipeline that seem suitably big for the season.

Schnozberry

Unless there is some unannounced game that is much closer to completion, I expect Zelda to be Nintendo's holiday season anchor in 2015.

If it has to be something else, I hope it's something ambitious like a new Square co-developed Mario RPG.

Is there some special reason why people feel Zelda U has been rushed? Is it the 3DS games that makes most of you think they started a year ago?

Wind Waker HD could not have been that hard and really they had nothing to do with Hyrule Warriors

2016 is really end of life for Wii U regardless of a delayed Zelda so it does not really matter NOA would never promote Xenoblade X as a big fall game so what do they have?

Jagsrock

Banned
It's coming 2015 guys. They understand that they need to get the game out and so far I there really hasn't been any signs hinting towards a delay. Lack of subtitle,story info,etc mean nothing at this point, considering Nintendo can pretty much have a special direct at any time just like the smash Wii u direct to unload what ever info they want. Infact we've actually gotten fairly steady info since e3 including a surprise appearance at the vga's. I honestly would be legitimately surprised if it doesn't make it this holiday season.

I feel like a lot of people are just trying to be the anti-jinx lol

What are these "many games" scheduled for the last half of 2015 exactly? Because the only two I'm aware of are Star Fox and Zelda, and Star Fox is pretty much niche by this point.

Unless Yoshi, Mario Maker and Devil's Third all release in June (which they won't....we might get one of them in that month), every Wii U game outside of Splatoon, Mario Vs. DK, Kirby and Mario Party 10 are releasing in the second half of the year:

Project Guard
Project Giant Robot
Starfox
Zelda
Xenoblade

Xenoblade is first half (at least in Japan, and it's not gonna be a tentpole holiday title in the US), I'm pretty sure they said that the Project games were going to be worked into Star Fox (Guard, at least) and even if that's not the case we've seen nothing to indicate that those will be big titles, and Star Fox may have counted as a big title eight years ago but has fallen by the wayside now (and Miyamoto's "tv show" comments about it aren't encouraging).

But just for the hell of it let's say your assessment is correct and all of the titles you listed are going to be "big" ones. That's still only five, for the six months at the end of the year. More than enough breathing room for all of them.

Zelda is the heavy hitter. It will hit 2015 because Nintendo needs it to hit 2015. And it's been four years since Skyward Sword.

Unless Yoshi, Mario Maker and Devil's Third all release in June (which they won't....we might get one of them in that month), every Wii U game outside of Splatoon, Mario Vs. DK, Kirby and Mario Party 10 are releasing in the second half of the year:

You're putting Mario Maker on the same level as Zelda.

I love Mario Maker but it's not a tentpole holiday release. None of those are.

Since the gamecube era, nintendo has tried to save announcing a new Zelda title til it's almost completed. Given the framework they used for Windwaker HD is likely being used as the engine for Zelda U, I think they are probably pretty far along in dev.

FTF

Hope for the best (Nov 2015), prepare for the worst (late 2016 dual release with WiiU2 ala Twilight Princess).

Zelda is the heavy hitter. It will hit 2015 because Nintendo needs it to hit 2015. And it's been four years since Skyward Sword.

SS released five years after TP. OoT released six and a half years after ALttP. Four years is nothing. If Zelda needs more time, they'll delay it.

You're putting Mario Maker on the same level as Zelda.

I love Mario Maker but it's not a tentpole holiday release. None of those are.

By itself, it's not, you're right. Throw in Star Fox, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and one or two unannounced games (which happens almost every year) and the lineup is decent enough. I'd be pretty surprised if an Animal Crossing game isn't in development for the end of the year.

If Nintendo feels the fall is too crowded or that Zelda needs more time, they will delay it. They have plenty of games to release this year.

GAF, expecting the unknowns of 2015, to all release one month apart is setting yourself up for disappointment; there are months of the year that most likely wont see anything, even in the second half.

Exactly. Nintendo will even delay finished games if they need to, to give other titles room to breathe. Happens all the time.

GAF, expecting the unknowns of 2015, to all release one month apart is setting yourself up for disappointment; there are months of the year that most likely wont see anything, even in the second half.

z0m3le

Banned
Skyward Sword came out in 2011, the team had already started on this zelda game earlier that year. It's been in development for 4 years, considering Xenoblade x comes out in April in Japan and that game is just as open world, with Nintendo putting much more resources into zelda u, there is no way I see it delayed.

big_z

Going by the gameplay demonstration it looks way too early and empty for it to be released this year. It's possible the build was old or they were purposely showing bland segments to not spoil anything but it seems unlikely. Considering what Nintendo wants the game to be and what they've shown a release this year simply doesn't make sense.

E3 will be the decider. If it looks rough at that point a delay is a given.

doofy102

Going by the gameplay demonstration it looks way too early and empty for it to be released this year. It's possible the build was old or they were purposely showing bland segments to not spoil anything but it seems unlikely. Considering what Nintendo wants the game to be and what they've shown a release this year simply doesn't make sense.

Any Zelda game looks incredibly boring when viewed out of context.

The fact is,when you're actually in that empty space, you'll have invented yourself goals, places to go, things to seek out, etc.

Pandy

Nintendo have been very clear on the year. It's planned to be their big 'holiday' game for 2015, so expect the same release slot that Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was in.

Of course, if development isn't on track I expect Nintendo to delay the game rather than release it half-finished (unless they learned the true spirit of AAA development last year), but we're way too far out for that to be an known factor yet.

Pandy

Yeah so they should release a real 3D Mario, I'm refusing to accept 3D World as a successor to galaxy 2.
I don't have the source handy, but I'm pretty sure either Iwata or Miyamoto said in an early Super Mario 3D World interview (back when we were all being skeptical about it) that they considered it a seperate series, and that the next game in the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series was in development seperately (probably small scale prototyping).

The successor to Galaxy will come.

Guerrilla

I don't have the source handy, but I'm pretty sure either Iwata or Miyamoto said in an early Super Mario 3D World interview (back when we were all being skeptical about it) that they considered it a seperate series, and that the next game in the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series was in development seperately (probably small scale prototyping).

Please let this be true....

Yes this year. They have been working on this for a while. Knowing Nintendo I wouldn't be surprised if all the dungeons and everything is ready. And now they just layer everything with nice graphs and spend their time also tweaking and testing the game to perfection. They are very confident with 2015 so they must be pretty far out in the development

Errr..
If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all that was said was something like "Hmmm, I'm sure we could do something with the Galaxy games again. We'll look into it, but we wanted to make something new (3D World)."
It really doesn't confirm anything (kind of a throw away comment), and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of SMG2's unused or scrapped ideas went into the development of both 3D Land and 3D World.

For EAD Tokyo there is a clear distinction between the style of the post-Sunshine games and the pre-Galaxy games; Galaxy was sort of the first step into reviving the classic style of platforming while bringing it into a new era, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting the idea that they lump those games together with Sunshine and 64.
Hell, I'm not even sure they think of 64 and Sunshine being the same "series"...that's kind of just a fan construct.

I hope they learned something from Albw and stopped adding fillers or whatever to make the game last 40/50 hours. I prefer something perfect that lasts 20/25 hours.

By itself, it's not, you're right. Throw in Star Fox, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and one or two unannounced games (which happens almost every year) and the lineup is decent enough. I'd be pretty surprised if an Animal Crossing game isn't in development for the end of the year.

If Nintendo feels the fall is too crowded or that Zelda needs more time, they will delay it. They have plenty of games to release this year.

You seem to be rather adamant about how a game that we know to exist must come after a game that only exists in your imagination as of current.

Additionally, Xenoblade Chronicles X already has a release date.

Top Bottom