• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda fans - are you really expecting Zelda U this year?

Maengun1

It's 50/50 IMO. On the one hand, Nintendo definitely seems more insistent than usual that the game will be out this year. On the other hand, it's Nintendo, and it's Zelda. Zelda is always delayed.

I'm not worrying about it at this point though. Right now I'm just excited for Yoshi, Splatoon and Star Fox coming up.

Xeteh

It is hard to say until they show something substantial. From what they've shown so far? I am expecting a delay. E3 will be interesting.

mugwhump

I wouldn't be surprised if it came out this year, it's been 4 years since the last game after all. And they released info about SS just as slowly iirc.

I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed it either, though.

I'm honestly expecting it to be delayed, no way is a game on that grand scale being released in 2015. Its most likely Nintendo will delay it to polish it and let Xenoblade, Star Fox, and Splatoon satisfy Wii U owners till its ready.

Whats up with people doubting this game's 2015 release date? Its January, give it a rest until E3 at least. By then we should have a good idea of when its coming out. We've already seen gameplay from it and has been confirmed for 2015 by Nintendo. I don't see where these claims that it won't make it for 2015 are coming from.

Also its Nintendo's big game for this holiday. No way will it slip into 2016.

Lynd7

It's coming Xmas this year, it'll be done. Nintendo can't afford to delay it either, they will make it happen.

TDLink

Yes I am. There is no indication it will be delayed at all apart from people continuously saying they expect it to be delayed. Why? Because Twilight Princess was delayed? That was a completely different situation and now many years ago. They have nothing else as their big holiday title. Star Fox is too niche. It's going to be Zelda. They're reiterated it a ton of times now. I don't know why we shouldn't believe them. Yes delays happen, but it's not like Nintendo actually delays that frequently.

Nanashrew

Banned
We'll know more at E3 but I imagine they'll be using their official Zelda Twitter account to show off the things leading up to the release of the game. Majora's Mask is in February so it's currently being used for that. We gotta wait till June for anything substantial. But in my opinion I think it will be a fall 2015 release. Nintendo seems really confident in this and gave us a small timeline that Star Fox will be out just before it, and Star Fox is scheduled for 2015 as well.

-Horizon-

Dunno where people started getting this idea that it'll be delayed.

IF ZELDA U GETS DELAYED OUT OF 2015 I'LL SUCK EVERY DICK HERE.

You mean that Direct that very explicitly stated it was going to cover only games released through the Spring?
It always gets to this point doesn't it lol

It's the same situation as Smash 4. Nintendo knows they have to get it out this fall. They've said multiple it'll be 2015. There's no reason to expect it to be delayed outside of blind cynicism. It doesn't matter how little we've seen. Nintendo released 3D World the fall following its reveal at E3.

The game won't be delayed. But if by some chance it does, it won't be till Spring 2016. It will be until Holiday 2016 to give it a full year. When has a console Zelda been released in Spring?

Meesh

They need to release it, they have to, there's not too much going on but a handful of games. I also expect some kind of dlc for it, but that's just wishful thinking.

TDLink

It's 50/50 IMO. On the one hand, Nintendo definitely seems more insistent than usual that the game will be out this year. On the other hand, it's Nintendo, and it's Zelda. Zelda is always delayed.

This is a myth that needs to stop being perpetuated. Zelda is not always delayed. Twilight Princess was delayed because they wanted it to launch on Wii.

I'm honestly expecting it to be delayed, no way is a game on that grand scale being released in 2015. Its most likely Nintendo will delay it to polish it and let Xenoblade, Star Fox, and Splatoon satisfy Wii U owners till its ready.

No. Star Fox is niche. Splatoon is already confirmed worldwide for the first half of the year. Xenoblade is confirmed for April in Japan. They aren't going to have Star Fox as -the- big holiday title on the system. It's going to be Zelda.

Eh. We had seen far more of Twilight Princess and it got delayed for new hardware. No reason to think this couldn't happen again especially with the state of Wii U. Nintendo will want to leverage what is surely their most ambitious and expensive software project to date.

I agree that they will probably want to release the game around a time when their software sales are the highest.

I wonder when that would be.

ReyVGM

I hope it gets delayed.

That should give them enough time to make the game perfect, instead of hurrying trying to make it by November. I don't want another Wind Waker scenario.

Sandfox

There were a lot of people expecting Smash to miss 2014 and look what happened there.

I hope it gets delayed.

That should give them enough time to make the game perfect, instead of hurrying trying to make it by November. I don't want another Wind Waker scenario.

We have no reason to believe the game is being rushed.

AdanVC

It can be just like Super Mario 3D World. It was revealed on January 2013 without zero footage of it. Then zero news of the game until E3 wich was in June, then again nothing until October, and from there it's when the real hype for the game begun till it's release on November. I expect something similar with Zelda U. We would probably not seeing anything till E3 and it's there when the real fun begins. Just because we haven't heard anything new about the game, doesn't mean it'll be delayed. Nintendo is very secretive with it's games until it's time to drop dem megatons. Plus, it's been already confirmed a couple times by Aonuma itself that the game will release on 2015 so yeah.

#ZeldaU2k15

ReyVGM

There were a lot of people expecting Smash to miss 2014 and look what happened there.

We have no reason to believe the game is being rushed.

Every game is rushed, unless it spends 4+ years in development.
And even if Zelda WiiU is not being rushed, the amount of details and polish they could add to the game in that extra year would be incredible.

Ansatz

Let's say it gets delayed to 2016. That means

2011 Skyward Sword
2013 Link Between Worlds
2016 Zelda WiiU
2018 Zelda 4DS?
2020 Zelda Wii3?

I mean is that what people here want? It's time to end this timeline where console Zelda always end up launching at the tail end of its generation. It's always the last big game to launch before next gen hype starts.

Imo that needs to change, push out Zelda U 2015 and start immediately working on the next home console entry for 2018 launch at worst, and in between outsource project ALttP Remake in ALBW engine.

Oersted

Didn't we just recently have a thread were OP was confused that people expect Zelda to be delayed? And now we have a thread were OP is confused that people expect Zelda to be on date? This getting weird.

Anth0ny

I think so just because they don't have any other big titles for Wii U this holiday.

That being said, if they announce Mario Galaxy 3/equivalent big holiday Nintendo game at E3 then I can definitely see it being delayed. Zelda always gets delayed.

Sirius

Dunno where people started getting this idea that it'll be delayed.

IF ZELDA U GETS DELAYED OUT OF 2015 I'LL SUCK EVERY DICK HERE.

dl13jbt.jpg

We've seen more of zelda U now than we had of 3d world at this point relative to its release, so that's a point in its favor.

Unless Nintendo has a different secret game in the works, or is planning to use marketing to try to force another series to level up hard in popularity, I don't see anything even remotely comparable in potential popularity for this fall, so that's another point in favor of it making it out on time, though admittedly this would result in a rushed game if it were the deciding factor.

On the other hand, the appalling length of time between TP and SS, and the nearly-as-large length of time between SS and now makes me suspicious of how the Zelda team currently handles the development process. It's not like SS was some master-stroke that justified a full normal console generation of development time. Nintendo would probably have been better off making a straightforward TP sequel that released in half the time.

On top of that, the extra stress of HD development and the suspiciously-sparse nature of the teasers we've seen do make me worry a bit.

I do expect Nintendo to release a rushed version of the game this year if the full game isn't ready because the business situation still isn't very good, followed possibly by their original vision for the game in the form of a remaster as a launch title next gen.

Hatchtag

Banned
There's not an announced title that they'd use as their big holiday title as opposed to Zelda. If Zelda were to be delayed, we would hear of:
-A new Mario platformer
-A new Animal Crossing
-A major (retail release) Smash Bros or Mario Kart DLC pack
Let's look at what their biggest console title for each year in the past decade was:
2014: Super Smash Bros for Wii U
2013: Super Mario 3D World
2012: New Super Mario Bros U
2011: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2010*: Super Mario All-Stars or Kirby's Epic Yarn
2009: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
2008: Animal Crossing: City Folk
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2005*: Super Mario Strikers, Mario Party 7, or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
With the exception of periods where development was swapping to new consoles (2005 and 2010), Mainline Marios, Smashes, Zeldas, and Animal Crossing are the only titles Nintendo has trusted as a big holiday console title (though I'm sure they'd count Mario Kart if console development ever ended around a holiday). Considering none of the teams for these games are all that free bar maybe the mainline Mario teams, I think Zelda U coming this year is a safe bet.

I don't know why people constantly question release dates (or year in these cases) after multiple confirmations. I've seen this with Zelda U, Xenoblade, Uncharted 4, and Persona 5.

B-b-b-b-but other games!

I mean, geez. Sure. There's a possibility that games get delayed. But this is true for EVERY EFFING game, regardless it being Zelda or Hotline Miami.

But the constant doubt and skeptism is somewhat irritating. If it happens, it happens. But until then, we can only trust the promised release window.

It's been tough to watch IGN and Kinda Funny every time they repeatedly talk about Uncharted 4 and Zelda as their delaython guesses.

kirby_fox

Banned
Despite the last 2 console Zelda titles getting delayed...yes.

Because the last few titles that everyone thought would get delayed by Nintendo- like Smash 4- didn't get delayed at all. They just have to not be as ambitious or prepare it for DLC to add stuff in they didn't get to add in.

There's not an announced title that they'd use as their big holiday title as opposed to Zelda. If Zelda were to be delayed, we would hear of:
-A new Mario platformer
-A new Animal Crossing
-A major (retail release) Smash Bros or Mario Kart DLC pack
Let's look at what their biggest console title for each year in the past decade was:
2014: Super Smash Bros for Wii U
2013: Super Mario 3D World
2012: New Super Mario Bros U
2011: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2010*: Super Mario All-Stars or Kirby's Epic Yarn
2009: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
2008: Animal Crossing: City Folk
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2005*: Super Mario Strikers, Mario Party 7, or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
With the exception of periods where development was swapping to new consoles (2005 and 2010), Mainline Marios, Smashes, Zeldas, and Animal Crossing are the only titles Nintendo has trusted as a big holiday console title (though I'm sure they'd count Mario Kart if console development ever ended around a holiday). Considering none of the teams for these games are all that free bar maybe the mainline Mario teams, I think Zelda U coming this year is a safe bet.

Well...they did just open a Animal Crossing announcement community for Miiverse.

Grylvak

I think Nintendo can pull off a 2015 release of Zelda U. My worry is that if the game is rushed to fit the deadline of 2015, there may be some issues with the game.

Micken

Banned
Yes, because Nintendo has said it's coming this year a thousand times, and there's absolutely no reason to doubt it.

B-b-b-b-but other games!

I mean, geez. Sure. There's a possibility that games get delayed. But this is true for EVERY EFFING game, regardless it being Zelda or Hotline Miami.

But the constant doubt and skeptism is somewhat irritating. If it happens, it happens. But until then, we can only trust the promised release window.

It's been tough to watch IGN and Kinda Funny every time they repeatedly talk about Uncharted 4 and Zelda as their delaython guesses.

Why do people think Uncharted will be delayed? By the time it's released it will have been 2.5 years since The Last of Us and four years since work first began on U4. Not to mention ND is by far Sony's biggest team.

You mean that Direct that very explicitly stated it was going to cover only games released through the Spring?

Yes, that Direct. Thanks for taking my statement completely out of context though! My point, that you conveniently glossed over, is that we now know the lineup for the first half of 2015. There are many games scheduled for the second half of the year and it will be difficult for Nintendo to release them all. History shows us that Nintendo is more than happy to space out releases, so it would not surprise me whatsoever to see Zelda get delayed if they feel it needs more time. They have plenty of other titles to take its place and they likely have one or two more unannounced games as well.

Top Bottom