• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

zeniselv

As someone whose native toungue isn't english and enjoy games in their original lenguage have always found frustrating that you can't have an option to have the original dub in most games outside of putting the system in that lenguage, but my point is that this has been done for a long time, just not with Japanese dubs as its usually a different version altogether.

(mat)

The people defending English over Japanese are sort of nasty, huh? I keep hearing them refer to people who want the Japanese audio with English subtitles as "elitists", but so far the only people who are acting this way (in this thread, at least) are the people who want English only.

I don't want to feel like an asshole for wanting to hear the game in Japanese. It's just a preference. I don't think I'm better than anyone for it.

I'd be just as disappointed if the game was Japanese only, and they didn't dub it at all for western audiences. I want people to be able to hear the game however they want.

This one concept of potential languages has created such a weird divide here. So strange.

tsab

English audio it is then. Too bad because the japanese audio had more feeling in the trailer. At least it's not Hyrule Warriors English Awful...

JimPanzer

oh god I hope this is true, I could play the japanese version, which I intend to do anyways, without dealing with import costs or extra costs for the japanese eshop

deleted

Well for me that means I can set the system to english and have english text and voice over. That's good for me.

I was half expecting that I had to use German, because I live in Germany.

In this case, we have a direct comparison. The Japanese voices in the Breath of the Wild trailer have more emotion in them than the English voices at the same parts.
Maybe they're actually overacted in Japanese?

I heard plenty of emotion in the English dub. The difference is that there are cultural differences in how emotion is conveyed. If the English actress had wailed in the same way the Japanese actress did, it wouldn't sound right.

TheMoon

So Anouma is saying the game has dual audio? Wasn't there a thread that said there's no dual audio?

You are in that very thread. But the title was inaccurate so it got changed to what it is now.

edit: ah there was also a second thread ...which got its title updated with inaccurate information. love this coordinated moderating ;)

crimilde

Banned
Being a non-native English speaker in a country that doesn't dub anything, all my life I've been consuming media with original VO + subtitles. I'm used to it being that way and I find dubs weird, so yeah being given an option to have VO in a language I don't know that well and have subtitles in a language that I understand is great. That's how I learned English in the first place.

Does that make me an elitist weeb? I don't understand why people are being less receptive to things like these when discussing Japanese media in particular.

OMG Aero

I haven't followed the Wii U homebrew scene at all, but has that system been hacked open enough that it's a possibility someone could make a mod to change the voice language on that version without changing the subtitle language?

Axass

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Better get started on those online petitions and Twiitter hashtags!

This is needlessly insulting for no apparent reason.

I'm italian, after seeing the italian trailer, so far I don't like our dub, even though we're usually good at dubbing stuff. I also can't stand 90% of english dubbed stuff because it sounds forced and fake as hell, yet most of you just don't care: see the Pokémon Generations thread, where some people didn't seem to notice one of the most atrocious dub attempts in history.

The audio files are there, so it's incredibly backwards not to offer the possibility to enjoy the game in whichever combination of dub/sub one wants. I assume it wouldn't even take them very long to implement the option, then again I'm no dev, so I don't know.

I'm tempted to try it in japanese. With the power of furigana we can do it!

I'm honestly considering it, too. I need to cut the safety net and start playing games in full Japanese at some point, and Zelda seems like an easier first step than the copy of Yakuza Ishin on my shelf. I'm still only at about 900ish kanji memorised, but maybe I can muddle my way through :p

Fbh

Well that sucks.
If because of space or licencing or whatever the game only comes with one language then that's just the way it is I guess.

But having multiple languages on the cartridge with no way to adjust them for different player prefferences just sucks. Sounds like a very Nintendo thing to do though

Being a non-native English speaker in a country that doesn't dub anything, all my life I've been consuming media with original VO + subtitles. I'm used to it being that way and I find dubs weird, so yeah being given an option to have VO in a language I don't know that well and have subtitles in a language that I understand is great. That's how I learned English in the first place.

Does that make me an elitist weeb? I don't understand why people are being less receptive to things like these when discussing Japanese media in particular.

This.
Growing up in a spanish speaking country that, thankfully, doesn't dub everything. I've been consuming movies and TV shows in their original language + subtitles my whole life.
And I like it that way. If I'm watching an american movie I want to see it in english, if I'm watching a french movie I want to watch it in french and if I'm watching a german movie I want to watch it in german.

And just like that I also enjoy consuming japanese media (movies, games, etc) in Japanese. I don't think that makes me an elitist weeb.

Honestly, anyone getting upset about people wanting the option to chose between the languages that are ALREADY IN THE CARTRIDGE sounds like a spoiled american that's so used to most media being in his native language that the idea of subtitles and consuming something in a language that isn't their own seems unconscionable

HeatBoost

At one point I would've been fairly confident in Nintendo's ability to deliver a decent-to-great dub (thanks to Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem Awakening)

That was before Fire Emblem Fates

Then there was that overwrought English accent for Zelda in the trailer... maybe I'm being a little too judgmental based on what amounts to a fraction of the dialog but...

Lol, here we go again with the "original voice" and "original intent" mentality. If they REALLY wanted to get an "original intent" for voices with this particular game, they'd look all over the world for that perfect voice to fit that character perfectly, not just Japan. If anything, they're limiting themselves with just Japan to search for that "original" voice.

This is like the logic of a crazy person. It's a game being made by Japanese people in Japan. Why would they cast someone from Chile in it?

Putting aside any and all ideological arguments, my problem with dubs... is they're still bad a lot of the time. Still. After all these years. After all the progress that has been made (for certain games). I don't know if it's time, or money, or a shallow pool of voice acting talent, but STILL. AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

I wonder if part of the problem is bad TV dubs like DBZ and Sailor Moon dialing the common tolerance for bad dubs up to over nine thousaaaand. Of course people aren't going to care if an accent sounds phony or if dialog sounds stilted and wooden when they didn't care that half the cast sounded literally constipated all the time.

Pretty pointless if You can't play Japanese audio with English subs. If the tracks are included how hard would it be to include it as an option ?

So we potentially have all the different dubs on one disc/cartridge but we have to change the system's language to use them, which also changes the subtitles to the system's language?

Okay, while this solution sounds incredibly convoluted and stupid I'm actually glad that we at least have access to all the dubs.

I will definitely play through the game with the German dub first and the English dub second. By then I will probably know the game in and out without having to reside on information given through text anyway so I can play through the game in all the other languages too.

Better than nothing. ESPECIALLY better than having to buy the game 8 times.

brawly

So it's on the card but you can't choose it in the game. That's hilarious.

Then it's not due to the file sizes, it's due to sheer incompetence. Figures.

Really disappointing when you hear this after seeing games such as witcher 3 with certainly more spoken dialogue providing multiple options. Unlikely to be fixed as well with the release so close. Will survive and get use to the English dub hopefully.

So it's on the card but you can't choose it in the game. That's hilarious.

Then it's not due to the file sizes, it's due to sheer incompetence. Figures.

a simple ui prefs selector and couple if-statements to make it work

but nintendo would rather leave this to be solved by PC emulators

foltzie1

Dear Nintendo,

It is very consumer friendly to make language settings default to the system setting.

Just make it overidable in the options and separate VO from subtitles. Make it a requirement for games in the system.

StayDead

I'm honestly considering it, too. I need to cut the safety net and start playing games in full Japanese at some point, and Zelda seems like an easier first step than the copy of Yakuza Ishin on my shelf. I'm still only at about 900ish kanji memorised, but maybe I can muddle my way through :p

You could've started playing games in Japanese long, long ago if you're at that point.

I started playing games in full Japanese when I just started learning Kanji.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was under the impression that this was being developed and launched for all languages simultaneously worldwide. Or is does this all just stem from the weebish desire to return to unintelligible gibberish ("but you know, with more emotion than those inferior-by-default English actors I've never heard") and text overlays?

Yes, I'm sure when you attend a foreign film festival and request the french film to be shown with an English dub because it would be "weeb" to do otherwise it would go down oh so well with the rest of the audience.

Some people just like voices in the original language of origin. Is that really so bad? Are options really that bad?

muetimueti

Neo Member

I imagine 900 will suffice for Zelda easy, at least if your other language skills match that. You can always just look stuff up if it's something crucial that you happen to not know.

eXistor

Oh well. I'm sure this would be easy to patch in, maybe down the line? I really don't want English voice acting in Zelda, it just doesn't fit at all imo.

I wanna add to this discussion that Nintendo are not the only one doing this (choosing the dub and sub based on the system's language settings instead of letting the user choose dub and sub language in the game's options).

There are many AAA games out there that don't even have more than one dub and sub track on the game's disc.
I remember buying Call of Duty Blops2 for Wii U at launch and was pretty surprised (negatively) that I still got the German dub and subs desptie my Wii U being set to English. I couldn't change the dub and sub language in the game's options either.

So while it still is sort of a dumb thing to limit the dub and subs to the system's chosen language it's at least a good thing that they seem to be adding all of the different languages on the game's disc/cartridge (at least I hope so, we haven't had hard confirmation on this yet. Aonuma's quote can be taken as a confirmation, but then again, we're dealing with Nintendo here).

Santiako

Since everything is on the cart it would cost them nothing to add voice and text language options like most companies already do. Disappointing.

Neoxon

In before the "Zelda: BotW has the worst (English) voice acting in a modern AAA game" threads pop up once the game comes out.

I get that not having the option to set whatever audio to whatever subtitles you want is disappointing & that more options are nice, but to say that the English voice acting is utter shit is a bit overkill.

Painguy

In this case, we have a direct comparison. The Japanese voices in the Breath of the Wild trailer have more emotion in them than the English voices at the same parts.
Doesnt rly change much. For all u know it could be considered a bad VO in japan.
If u like it then more power to ya but i think its silly to outright call the english dub trash without fully understanding both languages.

Great news for me, at least! I'm getting what I want, but totally didn't expect (English VA+English text, and Japanese VA+Japanese text). I only have to buy the game once. :D

Now I hope the game will give me the option to turn off subs during cutscenes. I want to hear 'em talk without the words at the bottom of the screen.

KLoWn

The people defending English over Japanese are sort of nasty, huh? I keep hearing them refer to people who want the Japanese audio with English subtitles as "elitists", but so far the only people who are acting this way (in this thread, at least) are the people who want English only.

I don't want to feel like an asshole for wanting to hear the game in Japanese. It's just a preference. I don't think I'm better than anyone for it.

I'd be just as disappointed if the game was Japanese only, and they didn't dub it at all for western audiences. I want people to be able to hear the game however they want.

This one concept of potential languages has created such a weird divide here. So strange.
Agree. But you know how it is, opinions are bad.

13ruce

Banned
Why are people even complaining.... Such a minor thing. Atleast you can change the languages instead if having it locked to your region.

Why won't Nintendo put voice acting in my Zelda?!

*Nintendo puts in voice acting*

Why won't Nintendo put Japanese voice acting in my Zelda?!

---

You couldn't make it up.

I was told the Japanese VO is the creators original vision, so it should follow that you'd respect the original text boxes too, as they are intrinsically linked to the original vision.
Why would you taint that vision with your inferiority?
If you really want to bastardize the "original creators vison TM", go all the way. Be proud of your ignorant western ways and embrace that you're never worthy of the glorious ways of Nippon.

In case anyone was confused: Yeah it's sarcasm.

Since everything is on the cart it would cost them nothing to add voice and text language options like most companies already do. Disappointing.

That's a load of bollocks. Mixing languages is the exception, not the industry norm.

Top Bottom