• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

notaskwid

Fuck Neogaf is an awful and hostile place sometimes.

Let's all be dicks to people who want options in their games. For the people who don't want audio options it doesn't effect you either way.

So why are you coming on here to just mock and deride people. This makes me sad to even come on neogaf.
Don't act angry towards poor Nintendo.
I have no issue with it so no one should have.
Hold the L "weebs"
Etc.
It's even a mod the first one to make fun.
"Weebs" have been making fun of people who prefer dubs since downloading anime in the internet is a thing, it's all par for the course.

Thud

It sucks not being able to change the language from the menu.

First playthrough in English, second one in Japanese.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is good for those that really like the Japanese VAs.

I wonder if this is how they trying to get Xenoblade 2 to release this year?

Khrno

Is it really that unfathomable for Americans that there are other reasons than "weeb lol" to play games in different languages than your own?

People talking here about weeabos or elitism for preferring Japanese audio of a Japanese game game are ridiculous.

Get out of your damn bubble, people who have other mother languages usually dislike dubs due to watching TV of foreign movies/series dubbed awfully in their local language.

Since getting Cable tv in the early 90s I started being able to watch tv channels where movies and series were in their original English and with Spanish subs, and rewatching movies or watching new episodes of series I had before in Spanish was a completely difference experience and so much better, and at the time I couldn't understand spoken English but you could just tell how awful the dubs were.

Then in the 2000s when the games got voices I would never play a game originally made in English with Spanish audio, not even Spanish text/UI since my English is now good enough to not require translation.

So just as I prefer to listen to a movie im their original language with subtitles, I also prefer listening to games with the audio track from where they are (since people are saying there is no "original audio" but the script was clearly made in Japanese and then translated.

So I just hate having to listen to Envlish or any other language voices in a Japanese games even when people cone out here in GAF and praise the dub or whatever like they have done for FFXV for example, the only good thing in that at dub is that Prompto is 100 times less annoying but even then, that annoying Japanese Prompto is what the directors wanted and not what the localisation directors changed ged the character into.

Tldr: original audio with subtitles for tv, movies and games is the best experience.

Let's all be dicks to people who want options in their games. For the people who don't want audio options it doesn't effect you either way.

So why are you coming on here to just mock and deride people. This makes me sad to even come on neogaf.

I think it's just Nintendo fanboys blindly defending whatever their corporation of choice does again. Neogaf has more blatant fanboyism than most other online video game communities these days.

Baleoce

I don't personally care about not getting Japanese audio tbh (but I can see why others would want it), but what I would like is the option to turn voices off if I find it's not to my liking for whatever reason, and just have running subtitles like previous games. I wonder if they've done any of the quirky NPC reaction sounds this time around though?

th4tguy

As someone who is buying this digitally I wish this wasn't the case. Let me save space and only download English voices. Provide other languages as free or paid dlc in my territory but don't inflate the file size by included languages I would under normal circumstances have no access to.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

We all just get annoyed by the friends we know who scream out how the Japanese dub is better quality, more authentic, and just feels right to them but they cant read or understand Japanese. I will forever shake my head at my friend who wouldn't give the Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood english dub a chance. Sorry if you're receiving the backlash.

Zips

The backlash against people in here wanting an option is just flat out strange. People shouldn't be berated for wanting something in a game. Not to mention by someone who is a mod on this site. Is it game breaking? Of course not but what is so wrong with voicing an opinion on it.

Ease up people.

Thinking an added option would be nice is fine. I think what's in question is the rationale for wanting the option, and how important an addition it would actually be.

Theonik

If you want the "superior" japanese dub, just change it to japanese languange. If you can't read japanese then why are you complaining.
Actually Duckroll is mostly talking shit but to address your point, subtitled experiences have been common both in film and in games for decades and preferred for a number of enthusiasts of either medium. It doesn't matter if you agree with their reasoning. Options are good.

Thinking an added option would be nice is fine. I think what's in question is the rationale for wanting the option, and how important an addition it would actually be.
So the answer is ad hominem attacks on people who like different things using strawmen. That certainly aids discourse.

Tldr: original audio with subtitles for tv, movies and games is the best experience.

Excellently put.

I watch a lot of Japanese cinema, and I find the refusal of the American video games industry to adopt a similar approach to subtitling infuriating.

Frankly, Japanese voice over should be there by default where licensing allows. The dubs should be a bonus for those that want them, not a replacement.

Edit:

But it's not an 'addition'. If it's not there, it's removed content.

What?

If someone likes the sound of a certain dub no matter what region they shouldn't be attacked for wanting an option. Or even voicing that they think the option would be nice to have. I have no idea how you think your post is a valid excuse for people berating someone for voicing that opinion on a forum created for game discussion.

Zips

Actually Duckroll is mostly talking shit but to address your point, subtitled experiences have been common both in film and in games for decades and preferred for a number of enthusiasts of either medium. It doesn't matter if you agree with their reasoning. Options are good.

So the answer is ad hominem attacks on people who like different things using strawmen. That certainly aids discourse.

Those sorts of comments are to be expected when talking about a subject area that the derided population niche often overlaps with.

Unless I have missed some posts, I haven't seen many individuals give their rationale for wanting the option, so those who have and come out with something akin to "the Japanese is just automatically superior" (but I still need subtitles) are what is the face of the argument right now.

What is your rationale for wanting it? Ignore insults, and explain if you haven't already.

What?

If someone likes the sound of a certain dub no matter what region they shouldn't be attacked for wanting an option. Or even voicing that they think the option would be nice to have. I have no idea how you think your post is a valid excuse for people berating someone for voicing that opinion on a forum created for game discussion.

Where did I claim it is a valid reason for berating someone?

Excellently put.

I watch a lot of Japanese cinema, and I find the refusal of the American video games industry to adopt a similar approach to subtitling infuriating.

Frankly, Japanese voice over should be there by default where licensing allows. The dubs should be a bonus for those that want them, not a replacement.

Edit:

Adding the option to toggle dubs and subs in the option menu would literally be an added option. Removed content would be if they had it there and then took it out.

NeonBlack

Excellently put.

Edit:

Are you saying the Japanese dub should always be the default? You do understand most will just pass up those movies/games because of this?

Adding the option to toggle dubs and subs in the option menu would literally be an added option. Removed content would be if they had it there and then took it out.

The finished game has Japanese audio.

If the Western release does not, that is removed content.

Zips

The finished game has Japanese audio.

If the Western release does not, that is removed content.

This whole thread is about how the audio is there, but you just have the option for everything in Japanese (audio and text) by switching the system settings to Japanese.

That's not removed content.

duckroll

Are you people really mad that I said Weeb? Really? Try to imagine my avatar saying it a few times. :p

Obviously options are good, but we're probably not going to get this with Zelda so I honestly think it's a good thing that there's the Japanese version available on the same card. Is that really a bad thing? I mean, as far as options go, here how I see it:

A) If you buy the English version you only get English text and voice. If you buy the Japanese version you only get Japanese text and voice.

B) If you buy any version of the game, you get the text and voice in the language your system is set to.

C) Regardless of system settings, you can toggle text and voice languages independently in the game itself.

C is the best option for everyone, but in lieu of that, B is a way better option than A.

Zips

Are you people really mad that I said Weeb? Really? Try to imagine my avatar saying it a few times. :p

Obviously options are good, but we're probably not going to get this with Zelda so I honestly think it's a good thing that there's the Japanese version available on the same card. Is that really a bad thing? I mean, as far as options go, here how I see it:

A) If you buy the English version you only get English text and voice. If you buy the Japanese version you only get Japanese text and voice.

B) If you buy any version of the game, you get the text and voice in the language your system is set to.

C) Regardless of system settings, you can toggle text and voice languages independently in the game itself.

C is the best option for everyone, but in lieu of that, B is a way better option than A.

Agreed.

patapuf

Is there any benefit for Nintendo (or any developer) to not have a language select screen?

Genuinely interested if there is one.

duckroll

And since people are actually genuinely upset by my shit talking, I will apologize because I'm not an infallible stubborn asshole (only sometimes). I love Zelda in any language. Except French.

Honestly I feel like A is a better option than B in some ways because I could justify why they didn't include multiple languages (file size). B is just infuriating because it is all there, and it really doesn't seem difficult at all to have language options (original VO with choice of text).

I was always planning on doing the English dub all the way, but I can see how this is even more frustrating in a way.

duckroll

Honestly I feel like A is a better option than B in some ways because I could justify why they didn't include multiple languages (file size). B is just infuriating because it is all there, and it's really not difficult at all to have language options.

I am planning on doing the English dub all the way, but I can see how this is even more frustrating in a way.

It's not though. The only drawback here is some imaginary personal feeling that has no bearing on practical usage. In terms of anyone actually using the content included, B is a way better option than A. If you don't understand Japanese and cannot use the content, your practical usage between A and B doesn't change. If you do understand Japanese and want to play both versions, B is going to save you 60 dollars.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is EXACTLY what is happening

No. What's happening is that some people would like to have the original VO language while also having subtitles in a language they can understand. Personally, that's how I watch all anime. Japanese audio with English or Swedish subs. For this game I think I'll just go with English for both, but it's really dumb that Nintendo won't allow you to choose your preferred combination even though it's clearly possible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not though. The only drawback here is some imaginary personal feeling that has no bearing on practical usage. In terms of anyone actually using the content included, B is a way better option than A. If you don't understand Japanese and cannot use the content, your practical usage between A and B doesn't change. If you do understand Japanese and want to play both versions, B is going to save you 60 dollars.

A and B are both crap. There's no reason for it not to be C.

I thought we were over the 4chan level "weeb" insults. Looks like we weren't.

Thank god there are companies that can see beyond their ass and give the player the option to play the game however they want. Nintendo isn't as always.

Eliseo

And since people are actually genuinely upset by my shit talking, I will apologize because I'm not an infallible stubborn asshole (only sometimes). I love Zelda in any language. Except French.

Were you actually shit posting? I took it as sarcasm lol.

g.r.e.

I still chuckle thinking about how the master sword was named excalibur in their version of Wind Waker.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

<3

of course B is better than A and like you said C would have been best for us all.

Zips

Honestly I feel like A is a better option than B in some ways because I could justify why they didn't include multiple languages (file size). B is just infuriating because it is all there, and it really doesn't seem difficult at all to have language options (original VO with choice of text).

I was always planning on doing the English dub all the way, but I can see how this is even more frustrating in a way.

I think the concern mentioned by a couple people about the added file size because of the multiple languages and text on disc is an interesting thing to consider in light of the argument for the added option to toggle voice/text. If we go down that rabbit hole, then we have the argument that Nintendo should have alternate voice/text options as downloadable content instead of automatically on disc.

These are really minor things to quibble about, but minor things can so quickly turn into heated arguments.

It's not about understanding Japanese, though. It's about wanting to play the game with the original intent/direction but still being able to understand it via subtitles.

I mean excuse my ignorance but I really have no idea what you are getting at unfortunately. To me this is clearly really frustrating for anyone who wants to play the game with the original voice work and still want to understand it. Like I said, if the tracks weren't on the cart, at least you could justify it and suck it up, but knowing it's there and you can't really use it..sucks..a lot.

duckroll

A and B are both crap. There's no reason for it not to be C.

I mean, it's crap to you because you clearly want C. So sure. But it's not crap to me because B is actually more useful than A. Aaaaaaaaaand one of my pet peeves with C is that often companies leave it as a dual-language toggle, but just for voice. There's no way to change the text, and when the Japanese track says one thing and the English text says another, what's the point?

Reversed

EN on the streets
JP in the sheets

Edit: Actually I'd rather play LA version but I feel that we're going to get
a) LA+EN
b) Just LA and nothing else, lol

Not much of a dealbreaker since the cast sounds great to me. :)

duckroll

It's not about understanding Japanese, though. It's about wanting to play the game with the original intent/direction but still being able to understand it via subtitles.

This is where I start making fun of people again because we're talking about Zelda, an international franchise where it is developed in parallel in multiple languages. This obsession with the "original intent/direction" doesn't really apply to a lot of game development because unlike films, for many big titles the creators themselves are working closely with multiple writers and editors in different languages to ensure that their intent is conveyed to as wide an audience as possible. It's so different. People are fooling themselves if they think the Japanese version is somehow more authentic.

BY2K

Membero Americo

I actually think the French version is not that bad. At least the translation itself. The accent of the voice actors do throw me off, tho. I'll stick to English.

It's not literal like so many other French translation I've seen. *cough*MankindDivided*cough*

As much as I'd like to be able to toggle both audio and subtitles independently, doing so for Zelda is not really that concerning for me, especially since Treehouse localization is so on-point most times that I'm sure the english audio will be good/great.

Really, Zelda has been grunts & text only for so long that I'm still processing that we're getting fully voiced dialogue now.

This is where I start making fun of people again because we're talking about Zelda, an international franchise where it is developed in parallel in multiple languages. This obsession with the "original intent/direction" doesn't really apply to a lot of game development because unlike films, for many big titles the creators themselves are working closely with multiple writers and editors in different languages to ensure that their intent is conveyed to as wide an audience as possible. It's so different. People are fooling themselves if they think the Japanese version is somehow more authentic.

Hmmm like I said I was always planning on doing the English dub, but I'm not really sure that I'm buying this. How sure are we that the creators themselves have a strong enough grasp on the English language that their intent with emotion will be properly translated? We can't be. I don't know how this is really defensible if the tracks are all sitting there on the cart. I don't really play a lot of narrative focused games but if this is the general attitude in the games industry about language, then that is really disheartening. Having options doesn't really hurt anyone and how much time would it take Nintendo to implement a toggle? Like a day's work? I dunno.

Instead of making fun of those who believe the JA VO is potentially a bit more authentic, why not get on video game company's case for not even offering a toggle. It hurts no one.

audio_delay

Neo Member

Excatly what was thinking.
Maybe they shouldn't have used voice acting in this game in the first place, like in all the other ones. Next Zelda should have vocals recorded in hylian, so noone can moan about it.

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Better get started on those online petitions and Twiitter hashtags!

NANIIII??!?

Top Bottom