• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Breath of the Wild: official screenshots

Xun

The game looks gorgeous, even if it's (understandably) a little rusty in places.

That said am I alone for finding the white snowy grass a little odd?

moniker

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird there are no darker spots than 30 or even 50 in most of the pictures?

I corrected some of them in Photoshop:

Yeah, when I watched a YT video I just though the black levels were botched, but it looks the same in these screens.

Peterc

I actually don't like how this looks. The thin, moving grass with no shadows make the resolution seem worse.

There's no doubt I'll be buying this for the NX, so I hope there's a major improvement.

Not sure what you mean, at the start of this video you can see grass shadows: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/?ut...aign=WiiU_alzj
Maybe you'll need to check the trailer or some gamplay vids.

If we are talking about small details for an open world game. I could tell you maybe 1000x things like "the gras have no shadows".

I just think it's not that important, it looks good, the weather system is doing his job to create shadows.

Have they shown any sort of traditional dungeon gameplay yet? Are those even in this game?

No, they deliberately avoided Dungeons, NPCs and anything plot related but yes there are dungeons in the game. The smaller ones they've shown are Shrines and there's 100+ of those scattered about.

jblank83

The game looks gorgeous, even if it's (understandably) a little rusty in places.

Sometimes it gets cold enough to freeze water, like dew on grass, but there aren't atmospheric conditions to cause snow. It happens more often than you'd think if you don't live in a cold place.

frost_winter_saltlake_626695_o.jpg

Or sometimes you get snow AND frosted grass. Who knows. There are a lot of variations of rain, snow, and frost, and they're all a pain.

In 4K screenshot 2 you can see some odd stunted little trees in various places, with more detailed models and greener leaves. For example the bottom left.

AGS2STV.jpg

I wonder what those will be, are they places where you find Koroks?

Whompa02

What's up with Wolf Link? Will Midna be in the game too?

Loving the art style. Hardware seems to be crunching down the polys and textures pretty badly, but whatever, it still looks great.

I bought a Wii U at launch to play the eventually released Zelda game, but I might end up having to pick up an NX to play this. This sub 1080p IQ is rough to say the least.

This game is strange to me. Some aspects look great, like structures, animations, and elemental effects, but I think the character detail and some textures are just pretty terrible, IQ-wise. Link looks blurry, and sort of like different parts of him are melting into each other. Aliasing seems pretty rough as well.
This is the reason why they adopted this particular art style, to mask the shortcomings you mention as much as possible.

neeksleep

Btw, if anyone wants to use the japanese website scene as a wallpaper using VLC's wallpaper mode:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/top.mp4
It's a 23 minute loop.

In 4K screenshot 2 you can see some odd stunted little trees in various places, with more detailed models and greener leaves. For example the bottom left.

AGS2STV.jpg

I wonder what those will be, are they places where you find Koroks?

Well, since you can cut down any tree, maybe these are trees that have been cut down and are now growing and take a few days to grow back to full size?

This game is rekindling the sense of excitement I used to feel for every new Zelda game. Haven't been this excited for a title in a long, long time.

Were any release date details given, other than "2017"?

I'm thirsty here, GAF.

Joqu

This game is rekindling the sense of excitement I used to feel for every new Zelda game. Haven't been this excited for a title in a long, long time.

Were any release date details given, other than "2017"?

I'm thirsty here, GAF.

NX is March, so unless that gets delayed I think March is a safe bet. I imagine it's a launch title.

RK9039

Probably the best game at E3 this year.

Happens a lot in cold places, usually happens in the UK during winter.

That looks like it could be Skyloft to me. Could be something else, but even the layout of it from what little you can see definitely reminds me of it, especially with the rise.

what-ok

Since the release is a year away, maybe feedback from this tree house event may have an impact? Wonder if a survey will come out?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
To be fair, the difference between the Gamecube and Wii hardware was very meagre too.
Wii's TP had widescreen, though, which even though accounting for the same number of pixels, did use a wider FOV, thus must have been more taxing vertex-wise.

Instro

I want to, but i have no idea what to expect from the NX.

Wasn't there a thread today where it was about how there would be no difference between the Wii U and NX version? Or did they mean features wise?

That's been clarified since then. Experience will be the same, visuals will be different.

Rich!

Wii's TP had widescreen, though, which even though accounting for the same number of pixels, did use a wider FOV, thus must have been more taxing vertex-wise.

Actually, you can force widescreen on the GameCube version of Twilight Princess either via Nintendon't (playing gamecube games on the Wii and Wii U), Swiss (homebrew launcher for the gamecube) or with an action replay and these codes:

Code:
NTSC-U

0445391C 3FE38E39

NTSC-J

0444DA64 3FE38E39

PAL

044558DC 3FE38E39

With that widescreen hack, the gamecube version is identical in FOV to the Wii version, and the performance is exactly the same throughout. I haven't got a proper comparison to hand, but these two shots I found on google images help show it, kinda:

XBSGUl.jpg

pOFfqyDl.jpg

Top Bottom