• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Breath of the Wild: official screenshots

RomanceDawn

That's been clarified since then. Experience will be the same, visuals will be different.

Oh really?! Was this mentioned for about a second among the 9 hour videos floating around?

Was anything more about this elaborated on?

Also I finally saw the Shrine with the giant balls and all the physics involved. I must say I'm pretty impressed. I know TP gets a lot of love for it's dungeons but I honestly thought they were just so played out and safe. With TP I walked into a room and seemed to know exactly what to do the moment I surveyed the area. Because of the completely different mechanics of Skyward Sword there were times were I really got stumped and had to really think things through. That aspect of it made me really happy.

With this magnet, time stoping mechanic and just the general freedom in which you can approach puzzles already has me very excited. Watching Chiko trying to solve a puzzle, I thought for a moment, "well how do you deal with that?" and she does it and I'm like "hey! I wouldn't have thought of that right away!"

100 of these locations and they aren't even real dungeons? Gadzooks!

Confident it is NOT one of the things that the NX game would Improve, but I could do with some more polys on the foliage. It has been the thing working against the art direction of these last few Zeldas (not TP that has its other issues) for them to be ageless, and continues here.

Since the release is a year away, maybe feedback from this tree house event may have an impact? Wonder if a survey will come out?

A year away? There's a good chance it will come in March, like they said NX will release then as well. It's definitely possible it will be a year from now or longer, but nothing is confirmed.

That's been clarified since then. Experience will be the same, visuals will be different.

That is good then, because boy.....the visuals are a mixed bag for me. At times it looks really good and at other times...empty...bland and plain boring. Big spots of land just without any grass and you just see the limitations of the Wii U.

Pinky

Banned
Looks awesome but I'm really not liking that magnet shit. Looks so weird and out of place to me. Cheapens the whole thing.

jes.jpg

Wait, this game is under 720p and also does not run at 60fps?

And those trees... fuck... this is not helping convincing me to get a WiiU, Nintendo.

(mat)

ok seriously, what is up with that awful music cut at 2:03 in the trailer? it's really distracting and located at the worst possible time...

Nintendo has been making a point to not show the story. The trailer, to me, appeared to ramp up and ALMOST show some of the story, and then cut itself off and go, "-Woaaah, woah. Nope. Have more of this awesome shit instead!"

Shin-Ra

Where did you get that from? Pretty sure I read in another thread that the game is 720/30fps
I think Ryoku originally just assumed based on the lower res screenshots on the Zelda website.

1200x675

Hopefully Nintendo will bump up the resolution to 720p (if it isn't already) by the time of release.

I'm most likely getting it on the NX either way. The game is absolutely gorgeous

EDIT: These are not the original lossless. Those are actually 720p. See three posts down.

Red Hood

Banned
Aonuma said it.

fkBnfjr.png

Unfortunately, gamespot loves its clickbait articles.

Honestly, it makes sense. I expect them to double down on parity for both versions. I can imagine they want to avoid Wii U owners to be pissed off that it not only got delayed twice, but also looks considerably less good than the NX version.

edit: I can't read, it actually says different (meaning better?) visuals. That's pretty cool. I hope the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U, then it's a day one purchase for me.

That picture of Link with a claymore is just fucking badass. Hopefully weapons like that won't degrade that quickly or will allow you to repair because that is probably going to be a staple of my playthrough.

Simbabbad

Not to my knowledge. I was watching the Giant Bomb after show though and they had Mark McDonald on and he said he was speaking to folks (no idea who) and that's the impression he got.

Wouldn't seem that crazy to me since the Wii version and Gamecube version of Twilight Princess look virtually identical.
Yeah, this. There is no reason at all to think the NX version will look much different.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Actually, you can force widescreen on the GameCube version of Twilight Princess either via Nintendon't (playing gamecube games on the Wii and Wii U), Swiss (homebrew launcher for the gamecube) or with an action replay and these codes:

Code:
NTSC-U

0445391C 3FE38E39

NTSC-J

0444DA64 3FE38E39

PAL

044558DC 3FE38E39

With that widescreen hack, the gamecube version is identical in FOV to the Wii version, and the performance is exactly the same throughout.
That's good to know gc had a widescreen option as well, but unless you played the entire game on a fps analyzer, there's no way for a person to know the performance never suffered from that.

Honestly, it makes sense. I expect them to double down on parity for both versions. I can imagine they want to avoid Wii U owners to be pissed off that it not only got delayed twice, but also looks considerably less good than the NX version.

edit: I can't read, it actually says different (meaning better?) visuals. That's pretty cool. I hope the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U, then it's a day one purchase for me.
Aonuma never said anything about the visuals, that's a terribly worded tweet which he clarified.

RPGCrazied

Is this game going to be able to pull off 1080p on Wii U? I'm guessing if XCX can't, the probably can't either. Safe to assume 720p no AA?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wouldn't expect much difference between the Wii-U and NX version guys. The only improvement that the Wii version of TP had was widescreen. I figure it'll be a similar deal where instead of a better aspect ratio, we might get improved resolution. I certainly don't expect improved geometry, or textures or lighting effects of any of that sort of thing.

Not to mention given Reggie's comments, the NX might not even be capable of that much more to begin with.

And those trees... fuck... this is not helping convincing me to get a WiiU, Nintendo.

Wha? This is the first Zelda in over a decade that has remotely decent looking trees.

TP:

full.jpg

SS:

RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss13_E3.png

Majukun

There is a pillar of light appearing at the center part of the plateau (next to the title) at night.

The ambient sound is so atmospheric. I need to pick up a good headphone for this game.

that's a meteor,there's a timelapse video on youutube where you can see it fall from the sky and leave that pillar of light there..probably an important item,like a rare ore or something.

I wouldn't expect much difference between the Wii-U and NX version guys. The only improvement that the Wii version of TP had was widescreen.

That's because the Wii was essentially a Gamecube with motion controls. Are you only expecting the NX to be a Wii U with a new controller?

Not to mention given Reggie's comments, the NX might not even be capable of that much more to begin with.

His comments about Nintendo not being interested in competing with Neo and Scorpio do not infer the conclusion you're coming to, like, at all.

It's not under 720p. Also, trees ? Lol. This must be the funniest thing I heard in a long time. Purchase decision based on trees.

Peltz

Those 4k screenshots.... damn....

It really makes me wish that Nintendo actually made hardware that could produce those visuals.

Top Bottom