• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Calvero

Banned
The only timeline where this game makes sense is the Fallen Hero timeline. My guess is that this Link is actually the Hero of Time who was defeated by Ganon and was sealed in a chamber to recuperate by the sheikah. Zelda and the sages have been keeping Ganon sealed in Hyrule Castle for the 100 years since Link's defeat.

This is what I'm hoping for ;-;

RagnarokX

It would be insane to have the BS "fallen hero" timeline actually become a legit plot point in a game. Never thought we'd see the day.

The fallen hero timeline is fine. The pre-OoT games didn't fit in either of the other timelines and with a small conceit they restored their place in the timeline.

Regardless of when this game takes place, something serious must have happened to this Link to require him to sleep for 100 years while Ganon lay siege to Hyrule.

PMS341

wN5l1Ro.png

Reminds me a lot of:

DYk8mJv.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just want to say, this is looking to be the absolute swan song to the entire Legend of Zelda series. I've never been more intrigued in an upcoming Zelda title than I am for Breath of the Wild, and I'm sure that's probably resonating in everyone who has loved this series as much as I have my entire life.

Graphically, I know it may not quite be up to the standard of what everyone seems to expect of current generation games, but this is everything I've ever wanted from a Zelda title. The sandbox for this game looks endless, and it has so many amazing elements from various other titles, all with their own Zelda twist and charm.

The wilderness survival aspect is amazing. From having to hunt and fish, to being able to actually cook with various ingredients and create endless concoctions, to having to dress appropriately for the environments that you find yourself in. It looks like clothing will play a much larger role in this Zelda title, which is something I've always wanted in the series. Is this the first Zelda title to feature ragdoll effects? I found myself in disbelief watching Link and his enemies tumbling down hills and mountainsides. It looks like breaking wild horses is also in, which is incredible. Being able to choose a horse that suits you is something I've wanted in Zelda since Red Dead Redemption, so this really excites me.

On that note I hope the wildlife is as incredible as what I remember in Red Dead Redemption. I see this game has deer, birds, insects, fish, etc. Maybe there will be more mounts than just horses in this game. How neat would it be to have a flying mount similar to Skyward Sword's loftwings?

I'm just such an absolute child again when imagining the possibility in this game. Thank you, Nintendo. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

swan song
n.
1. A farewell or final appearance, action, or work.

:(

Let's hope not, but other than that I absolutely agree!

jonjonaug

Given the supermassive scale, what if Zelda has exploration progression like XenoX? Like midway through the game that "Link rides a motorcycle" idea actually happens. Then toward the end of the game you get a flying mount from that flying island area.

Terrific OP and nice collection of info.

This is the first Zelda title in a long while that has me genuinely excited at the gameplay possibilities. Assuming they'll release it for whatever the NX turns out to be, this could be the game that gets me back into Nintendo consoles.

Given the supermassive scale, what if Zelda has exploration progression like XenoX? Like midway through the game that "Link rides a motorcycle" idea actually happens. Then toward the end of the game you get a flying mount from that flying island area.

I have no doubt that besides horses you can have alternative methods of Travel.

Monolith is going to be helping with the tech side of things after all. Maybe sheild surfing animations could be used for some kind of hovercraft.

I've been trying to find the moment (in a 7 hour video...) where a guardian almost kills Link with one shot...I finally found it, yay!

OQtDdQH.gif

That damage!

Holy shit, I don't know how I didn't notice that thing earlier. (watch the first 30 seconds of this video if you want to see it)

That thing is gonna be huuuuuuuuuge

So yeah, we're definitely getting at least one massive Shadow of the Colossus-style boss.

I have never been this excited for a game in my life.

I've been trying to find the moment (in a 7 hour video...) where a guardian almost kills Link with one shot...I finally found it, yay!

OQtDdQH.gif

That damage!

When I saw this on the stream, all of my fears about difficultly melted away.

3phemeral

c9LByg

Love how when reaching the steeple, Link's animation changed. I was wondering if he was going to be blocked or hit an invisible wall but nope. Climbed it too. The view is great.

aXRMEP

Hmmm... I wonder. Is it friendly or enemy?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The fallen hero timeline is fine. The pre-OoT games didn't fit in either of the other timelines and with a small conceit they restored their place in the timeline.

Regardless of when this game takes place, something serious must have happened to this Link to require him to sleep for 100 years while Ganon lay siege to Hyrule.

With ALBW and TH being in the fallen hero branch, there's certainly precedent for reviving it as a legit place for new games. Zelda 1/2 are definitely the place to look at when it comes to Hyrule In Decline games.

That said, while I know Koroks could evolve in any branch, their presence here really does feel purposeful to me. A drained Sunken Hyrule could be a fun setting.

mStudios

Not really. The Kokiri could have evolved into Koroks in any timeline.

Wind Waker is the least likely timeline for this to take place in because it would have to be between OoT and WW, and that's not likely since we know what happened between those two games. After WW wouldn't make sense because this is old Hyrule and that got completely destroyed and even if the Great Sea receded it wouldn't make sense for the Hylians to leave New Hyrule.

Considering the state of The Temple of Time, it would also have to be before Twilight Princess, and that doesn't make sense either because we know what Ganon was doing between OoT and TP.

The only timeline where this game makes sense is the Fallen Hero timeline. My guess is that this Link is actually the Hero of Time who was defeated by Ganon and was sealed in a chamber to recuperate by the sheikah. Zelda and the sages have been keeping Ganon sealed in Hyrule Castle for the 100 years since Link's defeat.

Since you're the most knowledgeable one here. Do you think this Link is a reincarnation or an old Link coming back?

I had unrealistically high expectations for this game and it seems to have surpassed them. It's like the love child of Dragon's Dogma, an early Ghibli movie, and the best parts of every Zelda in history. Hopefully it will live up to these expectations, although with so much gameplay footage out it will at the bare minimum be a really fun open world game, and at best game of the forever.

Holy shit, I don't know how I didn't notice that thing earlier. (watch the first 30 seconds of this video if you want to see it)

That thing is gonna be huuuuuuuuuge

I'd advise a bit of caution about getting too excited about this and the "sky dungeon" because they could both simply be clouds, or whisps of cloud. We know huge clouds can dynamically appear anywhere and cast a huge shadow under them, so I'm not sure that's not the case for those two things here.

But we can for sure hope that it's a sky town/skyloft/windfish/747 and a biggoron/giant stalfos/Valoo!

I can't see it on my phone is something on the mountain in the middle?

Its on the left side of the mountain. You can see it 5 seconds in till 30 seconds. It seems to slowly crawl down the mountain. Damn I wanna know what that is!!

Thats the kind of mystery I wanted in this Zelda game. SO good! :)

SiDCrAzY

Was not impressed at all by the trailer, was disappointed really. After watching some gameplay vids though, wow. Looks like something I want to play right now. Day one.

I'd advise a bit of caution about getting too excited about this and the "sky dungeon" because they could both simply be clouds, or whisps of cloud. We know huge clouds can dynamically appear anywhere and cast a huge shadow under them, so I'm not sure that's not the case for those two things here.

But we can for sure hope that it's a sky town/skyloft/windfish/747 and a biggoron/giant stalfos/Valoo!

I looked at it on my TV and it doesnt move like a clud. It seems to have arms and is going down and then behind or in front of death mountain.
Who knows maybe i just see things i wanna see but it reallyseems to have arms.

Edit: Its back at 11:15 and moves exact the same way as in the beginning. So my guess is a creature which climbs the mountsin the whole day...maybe a monster which dont let u enter death mountain until you are powerful enough to defeat it.

Earendil

Its on the left side of the mountain. You can see it 5 seconds in till 30 seconds. It seems to slowly crawl down the mountain. Damn I wanna know what that is!!

Thats the kind of mystery I wanted in this Zelda game. SO good! :)

It shows up a few times. I caught a screencap of it at 6:09. It almost looks like it has a spindly leg like a guardian.

EDIT: After watching it a couple more times, it looks like it might be a giant insect or arachnid. Maybe it's the Cloverfield monster... lol

I looked at it on my TV and it doesnt move like a clud. It seems to have arms and is going down and then behind or in front of death mountain.
Who knows maybe i just see things i wanna see but it reallyseems to have arms.

Ah maybe it looks clearer on your screen then. Like I said I sure do hope it's something monstrous like that but as of now I wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up.

Please give me a windfish though

Edit:

I say this without a single ounce of sarcasm: I can't wait to watch days of GameXplain analysis!!

SeanR1221

Im surprised Nintendo isn't putting out this E3 demo almost like a ground zero.

It would sell a ton and fill the huge gap they have in releases.

Aldric

The thing on Death Mountain is iffy but there's no way the giant floating structure is a cloud.

Top Bottom