• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paranormal Activity VR coming to Morpheus/Vive/Rift

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems to be VR based, but sounds like there's a non-VR version too.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150616005641/en/#.VX_7NvkzhHw

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Paramount Pictures’ horror film franchise “Paranormal Activity” is spawning a new virtual reality video game. VRWERX, a division of Beast Media Group dedicated to virtual reality content, is announcing a “Paranormal Activity VR” video game to be released in 2016 for all major head-mounted displays including HTC Vive, Sony’s Project Morpheus, Oculus Rift; PC; mobile; and consoles, including Xbox One and PlayStation® 4.

“Paranormal Activity” is the second highest-grossing horror franchise of all time and has earned more than $800 million worldwide to date. The sixth film in the series, “Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension,” will be released in October.

“’Paranormal Activity’ is the perfect property for VRWERX. This franchise represents a huge audience that loves visceral, unbridled terror, which we intend to intensify through the incredible immersion that only virtual reality enables,” said Russell Naftal, Beast MG Co-Managing Partner. “Our goal is for the Paranormal Activity VR video game to not only be the scariest game you’ve ever played, but the scariest experience you’ve ever had!”

Haven't been able to find any media yet...

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Seems like a better mixed reality hololens experience being able to integrate with your real room.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
That's pretty great. I'm looking forward to seeing the price point for Morpheus. If they've announced it so far I've totally missed it.

ArjanN

So this in VR:

maze-game-reaction-gif-o.gif

SinSilla

Never managed to finish Outlast, on a monitor that is. I've become such a pussy.

But i keep an eye on this, it's not that im not trying.

Are we going to ignore the fact that "The Ghost Dimension" is an amazing subtitle?!

If this is anything like Dreadhalls then pants will be shat.

FinalD

Seems like a better mixed reality hololens experience being able to integrate with your real room.

Oh god, this sounds terrifying. Even worse when you're not in-game and a background task or something shows ghosts in your home at random.

See Konami, you missed out. Could have done PT on the Morpheus and had a "who shit their pants more?" contest with the PA version of Morpheus.

Nikodemos

The HoloLens version would be unplayable. Imagine walking around your house and suddenly having stuff appear then quickly vanish in your peripheral (holo) vision. Or opening a closet door and having something jump at you. 'Thafukouttahere with that stuff.

newsguy

Let's start the betting pool. I predict that on the 3rd day someone with a heart condition is dead and VR is in the media.

I remember an old roommate gone apeshit after he saw the movie. He was terrified and said he wouldn't sleep for days. Then we drank a lot and he passed out as I played Skate 2.

fred

Let's start the betting pool. I predict that on the 3rd day someone with a heart condition is dead and VR is in the media.

Okay, I'm going straight to hell. I would find that amusing lol

I wonder how far away we're from having VR films at the cinema..? It would mean that they would have to be entirely CGI but these days it's pretty difficult to tell CGI from reality anyway.

I reckon 10 years and it's going to happen.

You're all just fucking around, right?

Paranormal Activity as a franchise has become one of the most awful, cheesy pieces of shit when it comes to "found footage" as a genre, let alone horror. The first movie, more or less, seemed like a lucky shot after the next 4 (with Paranormal Activity 6 coming later this year)

This will just be some shitty jump scares with a shoed in cult plot.

Paranormal Activity as a franchise has become one of the most awful, cheesy pieces of shit when it comes to "found footage" as a genre, let alone horror. The first movie, more or less, seemed like a lucky shot after the next 4 (with Paranormal Activity 6 coming later this year)

Shitty jump scares in VR are heart pounding though. So id be okay with that. I like walkthrough haunted house attractions, some VR versions of those would be cool.

However this will possibly just be a 'watch nothing happen for ages before the jump scare' game which would just suck.

Okay, I'm going straight to hell. I would find that amusing lol

I wonder how far away we're from having VR films at the cinema..? It would mean that they would have to be entirely CGI but these days it's pretty difficult to tell CGI from reality anyway.

I reckon 10 years and it's going to happen.

You dont need 3D for VR. There are actual VR movies out there already. Done with special cameras.

Sounds fantastic. VR definitely feels like the next step for horror games. I feel like even playing call of duty in VR would be scary whenever you run into someone around a corner.

I'd imagine P.T./Silent Hills would have worked amazing on VR.

Maybe Sony can bring this back from the dead too at next years E3 or TGS and it could be a killer app.

Shitty jump scares in VR are heart pounding though. So id be okay with that. I like walkthrough haunted house attractions, some VR versions of those would be cool.

However this will possibly just be a 'watch nothing happen for ages before the jump scare' game which would just suck.

You will be watching for a while... Or they'll make this some FNAF clone

Alec

The lore in the PA series is what keeps me interested. With The Ghost Dimension reportedly being the last film, I could envision the story being continued in VR form.

Top Bottom